Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Laptop to best run TW Warhammer?

IsrafilIsrafil Registered Users Posts: 37
edited January 13 in Technology
So I just purchased a gaming laptop. Warhammer runs like a dream on it - didn't realize what I was missing until I saw it. HOWEVER, the laptop runs way hotter than I think it should, even on lower graphics settings.

Anyone know the acceptable temperature range for running TWW on a laptop?

According to the Alienware Command Center app it came with, the CPU reaches around 90 degrees Celsius while playing - I've read that temp too often will fry the CPU. Needless to say, the fan is running at high volume as well. I realize laptops will always run a bit louder than desktops but this is a bit much.

For the record, performance, not visual quality, is the priority for me - I'd rather the game run smoothly on average graphics than tax the computer for ultra levels. The game looks just fine at low graphics, IMO.

The specs
Dell G5 15 5500
Intel Core i7
16 GB Memory, 512 GB Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I'm thinking of returning it, either machine is defective of the G5 isn't for me. I'm hoping to buy another laptop that can run it will without burning out or the fan being heard three rooms away (can't really play while pretending to work when that gives me away XD). Any suggestions? I'm hoping to stay under $1,300 price wise.
Follow me on twitter @perchancetogame. I write about our own End Times - or climate change. But End Times sounds cooler.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 8,405
    Get a cooling pad
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,133
    saweendra said:

Get a cooling pad

This; gaming laptops pretty much require it.
  • Nico_NINico_NI Registered Users Posts: 315
    The problem is no the laptop, but the fact that you are not using a cooling pad
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 1,546
    Plug it into your central heating and put the heat it generates to good use.
    Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

• Quasar2299Quasar2299 Registered Users Posts: 171
    Laptops are pretty much always guaranteed to run hot. 90 C is a really high temp, but most modern CPUs are able to handle that temp without issue for a few hours at a time. The computer also will shutdown before it reaches a temp that will cause it to actually get something, so you likely won't have to worry about frying anything. All that being said, you don't want to be running that hot because sustained temps will eventually cause damage, so if you're playing long sessions invest in a laptop cooling pad, or loft the laptop so air can vent out of the bottom.
  • IsrafilIsrafil Registered Users Posts: 37

Laptops are pretty much always guaranteed to run hot. 90 C is a really high temp, but most modern CPUs are able to handle that temp without issue for a few hours at a time. The computer also will shutdown before it reaches a temp that will cause it to actually get something, so you likely won't have to worry about frying anything. All that being said, you don't want to be running that hot because sustained temps will eventually cause damage, so if you're playing long sessions invest in a laptop cooling pad, or loft the laptop so air can vent out of the bottom.

I have an old cooling pad so that's not a problem. I know about throttling but yeah, I've heard that it lead to long term damage and shorten the life of the machine. Do you know if there are machines that don't hit 90 on a regular basis (read, every session), or is that the norm?
    Follow me on twitter @perchancetogame. I write about our own End Times - or climate change. But End Times sounds cooler.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,246
    This is a bad laptop design, many of them are. It's basically a case that can reasonably handle a low power processor, not a full bore i7. Most of these small laptops just are not up to the job.

From what I'm reading on the internets about this particular line of garbage case designs, Dell is also being cheap and using really crap paste, and you can get it down to the 70's by redoing their crappy job with a high end thermal paste. A redo with Kryonaut would be a good idea to salvage this guy.

If they'd done a decent job with something not completely worthless, the CPU would probably stay under 90, which is still way too high, irrespective of what the chip is actually supposed to be able to handle without breaking. Heat kills hardware, plain and simple. The less you're cooking it, the better.

If you want to toss it, Acer's making a lot of well cooled stuff, a good option for budget latops. The not thin stuff from ASUS and MSI are usually okay, and, amusingly enough, the HP Omen is a very well cooled system.

As a general rule, check reviews. Plenty of people that will show thermal loads. I did a google search for "g5 15 5500 temperature" and immediately found a review showing 100+C CPU temperature maximums, and averages in the 90's. If you can't find a review of their thermals, you should probably pass on them.
  • IsrafilIsrafil Registered Users Posts: 37
    psychoak said:

This is a bad laptop design, many of them are. It's basically a case that can reasonably handle a low power processor, not a full bore i7. Most of these small laptops just are not up to the job.

From what I'm reading on the internets about this particular line of garbage case designs, Dell is also being cheap and using really crap paste, and you can get it down to the 70's by redoing their crappy job with a high end thermal paste. A redo with Kryonaut would be a good idea to salvage this guy.

If they'd done a decent job with something not completely worthless, the CPU would probably stay under 90, which is still way too high, irrespective of what the chip is actually supposed to be able to handle without breaking. Heat kills hardware, plain and simple. The less you're cooking it, the better.

If you want to toss it, Acer's making a lot of well cooled stuff, a good option for budget latops. The not thin stuff from ASUS and MSI are usually okay, and, amusingly enough, the HP Omen is a very well cooled system.

As a general rule, check reviews. Plenty of people that will show thermal loads. I did a google search for "g5 15 5500 temperature" and immediately found a review showing 100+C CPU temperature maximums, and averages in the 90's. If you can't find a review of their thermals, you should probably pass on them.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Yeah, the reviews had also said the G5 was a good "entry level" machine for PC gamers. Also cause of my dad's job I got a discount from Dell, so that was certainly a factor in my decision ^_^

There were some mentions of heat but I thought that all laptops run hot and I wouldn't be running it at the highest graphics settings anyways so it didn't really apply to me. The 90 degree levels quickly disabused me of that notion.

It's down to high 70s after I turned off the turbo mode (why would anyone even use that?) but I'm less than thrilled I had to turn off a supposed "feature" for it to run safely. My dad's actually encouraging me to push for a refund and send it back - if I do so, I'll probably look into another manufacturer like HP or Asus, discount be damned. The Omen was actually a runner up in my search - going to look into Lenovo Legion as well since I had decent experiences with IBM's models in the past.

Still a bit shocked that laptops are so much more powerful than my desktop (which is no slouch but purchased a good 6-7 years ago).
  • LaMOiLaMOi Registered Users Posts: 7
    edited January 16
    I’m looking at buying a Laptop too ....

To play games like this is one of the priorities.

From all my research — the HP OMEN 15 looks one of the best, all things considered.

Lenovo I had read were generally good value, decent components — but the chassis I had read were quite cheap plastic, which could be problematic?

But agree with other posters — it seems high temps by the nature of the design of most laptops are fairly common.

But quality cooling paste is a thing — and will certainly note that for my own consideration.