Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The ogres of Dogs of War

PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 1,146
edited January 16 in General Discussion
If the DoW are in game III, how would CA implement the Ogre units in the faction?

I think they would implement a building for recruiting Mercenary Ogres with different tiers:

Tier 1: Mercenary Ogres (reskinned Orc Big'Uns like in Lost Faction or reskinned Ogre Bulls from the OK faction?)

Tier 2: Mercenary Ogres with great weapons.

Tier 3: Ogre Maneaters (pirate ogre with hand weapon and pistol + ninja ogre with poisoned attacks).
Cathay should have been DLC.
Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
Dogs of War need Ogres and halflings.

Comments

• MattockMattock Registered Users Posts: 279
    If DoW is a game 3 race then I'll see them getting ogre manatees and that's it as a base unit. If they're a preorder then I dont think theyll get any from the start but might get meaneaters when game 3 releases
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 23,627
    Easy. Give them a single unit of Maneaters.

They don't need any of the variants or any other Ogres.
    If you have an issue with forum moderation the forum Administrator responsible is CA_Grace
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 921

I think they need to have both basic mercenary ogres and a maneater RoR, as they had on TT. Ogres are THE mercenary race, they shouldn't be too rare in your army.
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 1,146
    edited January 16
    Mattock said:

If DoW is a game 3 race then I'll see them getting ogre manatees and that's it as a base unit. If they're a preorder then I dont think theyll get any from the start but might get meaneaters when game 3 releases

It will be all ogre when TWW III comes out.
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
  • MythrilSoulMythrilSoul Registered Users Posts: 639
    edited January 16
    depends on how many the OK end up getting, if they get 4 types of maneaters i, personally, want the DoW to get all of them too. maneaters are mercenary ogres after all anyone could hire them.

the 3 kingdoms bandits factions have this nifty mechanic that their tech-tree can unlock units from other rosters, i want the DoW to get something like that so you can get units like maneaters, brettonian free lances, hobgoblin wolf raiders, dwarf shieldbreakers and etc.
  • vg45vg45 DenmarkRegistered Users Posts: 136
    edited January 16
    DoW get Paymaster Hero, Ogre Maneater Pirates and Ogre Maneater Ninjas RoR with stalk.

OK get Bruiser Hero, Ogre Maneater Pirates and Ogre Maneater Crossdresser RoR with stalk.
    vg45 said:

DoW get Paymaster Hero, Ogre Maneater Pirates and Ogre Maneater Ninjas RoR with stalk.

OK get Bruiser Hero, Ogre Maneater Pirates and Ogre Maneater Crossdresser RoR with stalk.

DoW get Hireling Wizard hero. OK get Butcher and Firebelly heroes.
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
    edited January 17
    @VG45 Don't lower the discussion with that term.
    Maelas said:

I think they need to have both basic mercenary ogres and a maneater RoR, as they had on TT. Ogres are THE mercenary race, they shouldn't be too rare in your army.
    I'm fine with the 1 maneater unit getting an RoR.
    If you have an issue with forum moderation the forum Administrator responsible is CA_Grace
    What you've got to remember is that Maneaters will play 3-4 roles at least within the Ogre army. Keeping them special and relatively unique to Ogres is more important than giving DoW multiple variants of them. DoW has essentially endless scope for expansion, OK not so much. So they really should be just the single unit for DoW.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,707

What you've got to remember is that Maneaters will play 3-4 roles at least within the Ogre army. Keeping them special and relatively unique to Ogres is more important than giving DoW multiple variants of them. DoW has essentially endless scope for expansion, OK not so much. So they really should be just the single unit for DoW.

I agree. Maneaters are multiple elite options which the ogres sorely lack. It will be interesting to see what they do with them.
  • YakintonYakinton Registered Users Posts: 382
    Yes on only one units of maneaters + one RoR version. WoC should also get one unit of chaos ogres + a RoR

All other ogre needs to stay on the kingdom
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,920
    I hope the Empire get to be able to recruit perhaps 3 max Imperial Ogres similar in look to Mordheim.
    eomat said:

I hope the Empire get to be able to recruit perhaps 3 max Imperial Ogres similar in look to Mordheim.

GW removed ogres from the empire roster after 4th-5th edition for a good reason.
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
    Yakinton said:

Yes on only one units of maneaters + one RoR version. WoC should also get one unit of chaos ogres + a RoR

All other ogre needs to stay on the kingdom

The RoR should be called Urblad Rotgut's Maneaters.
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?

I agree. Maneaters are multiple elite options which the ogres sorely lack. It will be interesting to see what they do with them.
    I think the Maneaters should be split in the following units:

Maneater Pirates: hand weapon + pistol

Maneater Ninjas: Stalk + poisoned attacks

Maneater Snipers: Double pistols or a rifle

Maneater Gladiator: Great weapon + armor

Maneater Captain: Hero unit
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,923

eomat said:

GW removed ogres from the empire roster after 4th-5th edition for a good reason.
    Yes, but some of us have 4th edition Empire Ogre units for the table top. It would be fine if there is an option for Empire to hire Ogre mercenaries, either through DoW or OK, they don't need to have a specific unit if there is a mercenary option.
  • NihtantuelNihtantuel Registered Users Posts: 31
    If DOW are implemented, I'd imagine it would be of those not being really DOW, but Southern realms with a bunch of mechanics of unlocking DOW lords who have horde mechanic attached and are only able to recruit their own units.

So you do a bunch of quests and unlock a new lord in the process.

So if you do a quest chain for Golgfag, you get him as a horde army. He can build his 'horde'/company by building stuff for his horde and winning battles. ANd he will be locked to only ogre units.

Same for Mengil Manhide, only with Dark Elves. He can actually start as a Black Ark captain (he was one after all, eventhough he wrecked it) and only have access to a bunch of Dark Elf units.

Same with Asarnil the Dragonlord, with High Elf Units.

And etc.

So basically the point of the Southern Realms/DOW is not to have every single thing recruitable. It is about creating a basic roster with Borgio/Lucrezia/Lorenzo/Marco Colombo with a basic Southern Realms themed roster. ANd then a bunch quests depending on geographical locations and your relations with other fractions to unlock the horde armies/companies of DOW. Like the ones mentioned above. To me that would be a proper way to implement them in game, instead of basically having access to every race's building from the start and being able to recruit any unit with any lord. That would be dumb as a stump.

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 4,444
    Maneaters are literally the Ogres taht go about travelling the world and selling their services as mercenaries, so this is a pretty easy question to answer.

The question is whether or not Maneaters will be a single type unit or if they are going to have variants of Maneaters.