Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Featured factions for next DLC. Perhaps not Guandu?

TheTrue_LordAndy#1434TheTrue_LordAndy#1434 Registered Users Posts: 1,004
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
So as we have been speculating for a while on the next DLC being Guandu because that would make sense as the next major event on the timeline, I am becoming slightly skeptical if this will in fact be the next DLC.

My line of thinking is as follows. Mandate of heaven was an obvious choice for improving the yellow Turbans and introducing the original leaders as playable factions and also introducing the ability to play as the emperor. A world betrayed had star factions such as LuBu and SunCe, who are both fan favorites and great selling points for a DLC. I therefore wonder what would be the major selling point of a Guandu chapter pack from a marketing perspective? Don't get me wrong, I personally would love to play as Yuan Tan, Yuan Shang or Yuan Xi and playout the Yuan infighting, but for the majority of the fandom these are not popular characters as they did not achieve anything after Guandu or survive long historically. I would think that CA would want a character closer to the likes of LuBu to be the poster child of a new DLC. Yuan Shao and Cao Cao are of course already in the game so I am hard pressed to think of which would be the featured factions for this DLC that could compare to LuBu and SunCe. Down the line where you can give sub factions to the likes of Cao Ren, Guan Yu and even feature Sun Quan might make more sense marketing wise. Let me know your thoughts and who could be the featured faction to make Guandu feasable?

Comments

• NephliteXNephliteX Registered Users Posts: 181
    edited January 2021
    The predictions for the Guandu DLC are deeply related to the current appearance of the Yuan Shao faction.
    Yuan Shao faction is the largest of the major factions, but to this day there is no unique general, Also the faction feature is very simple.
    (Even Yuan Shu has a unique general.)

So we can easily be predicted entire Yuan Shao faction itself has been intentionally excluded for use as main content of DLC.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 1,004
    In house fighting is a very good mechanic (Cao cao in earlier scenarios would have to worry about this too potentially if he made a Cao pi heir while ang is alive much like Liu biao and yuan Shao have )

Depending on the date there’s zhang Xiu (ok he doesent do a huge amount after guan du ) who is pretty important . Could easily be the faction to improve spying

Zang Ba (serves till Cao pi ) considering bandit factions are gonna be extremely rare After

Pei yuan Shao could easily become the first bandit/turban faction

Liu bei recruits a lot of yellow turban officers or works with them giving him a possible diffrent mechanic for this scenario

I would not say there’s nothing that could be added (quite a portion of yuan shaos men join Cao cao like zhang he . Zhen Ji , xin ping and others . I think a lot of them also want this to improve yuan shaos servere lack of uniques . Personally I’d rather then pick people who have have use later too though for yuan shaos faction
  • Jam#4399Jam#4399 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,070
    edited January 2021
    Weren't Wuhuan played a significant role in Guandu Campaign?

Wasn't Battle of Yijing happened only 2 years before so why not include Gongsun Zan as well?

Yuan Shao x Gongsun Zan
    Cao Cao x Yuan Shu

Then pursuit of Yuan heirs in Wuhuan...

just my opinion....
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 1,004
    edited January 2021
    jamreal18 said:

Weren't Wuhuan played a significant role in Guandu Campaign?

Wasn't Battle of Yijing happened only 2 years before so why not include Gongsun Zan as well?

Yuan Shao x Gongsun Zan
    Cao Cao x Yuan Shu

Then pursuit of Yuan heirs in Wuhuan...

just my opinion....

Not to mention lu bu is also around too . If done in 199 for exsample they could add the 3 of them as non playable factions (mainly as they meant to be destroyed that year) but lu bu being able to be recruited by Cao cao dilemma . Yuan Shu being able to be saved and absorbed by yuan tan prehaps and gongsun zan being able to be saved by his ally zhang yan . Plus zhang Xiu is independent in 199 too