Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Old CD version installs but doesn't run on Windows 10

matzeramatzera Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi,

I have an old CD copy of Rome Total War and trying to run it on my Windows 10 laptop. It installs fine but doesn't run. I tried creating the preferences folder where i installed the game and added the text to it from here

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/160589/issues-when-trying-to-launch-rome-total-war-on-windows-10-workaround-provided#latest

didn't work.

I tried running in compatibility mode as adminstrator and in Windows XP Service Pack 2. Didn't work.

Comments

• matzeramatzera Registered Users Posts: 5
    I also don't have the KB3086255 update installed.

Can anyone help me get it running?
  • Sparkykun1Sparkykun1 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Please name the text document preferences, and make sure the Preferences folder is in the RTW folder (containing the Application file to run the game.
    Hi Sparkykun1,

Thanks for responding. I did both....text document is named "preferences" and preferences folder is in the RTW folder containing the app file. Doesn't work. When i double click the RomeTW app, i get the "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?" Then it shows "RomeTW.exe" I click "Yes" and the dialog disappears and nothing happens after that. Any other suggestions?
    matzera said:

Hi Sparkykun1,

Thanks for responding. I did both....text document is named "preferences" and preferences folder is in the RTW folder containing the app file. Doesn't work. When i double click the RomeTW app, i get the "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?" Then it shows "RomeTW.exe" I click "Yes" and the dialog disappears and nothing happens after that. Any other suggestions?

You might need to restart your computer
    I restarted my computer. Still doesn't work. Any other ideas?
    matzera said:

I restarted my computer. Still doesn't work. Any other ideas?

If the RTW folder is in a name other than English or your computer's default language, you might need to change or rename it.
    Hi Sparkykun1 - it's in English.