Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

3-4 player campaign option, an idea how to implement it.

LaliraLalira Registered Users Posts: 7
edited February 7 in Multiplayer
So im sure everyone has seen this asked before, and both sides have fair points. I'd like to bring up a few key ideas, and see what the community thinks, maybe even a dev if we were so lucky.

First lets hear both major points I see:

>People believe that it should be an option, and those who don't want to deal with the long turn times don't have to play it.

>This sort of Idea will take away from Dev time else where.

>Long turns for 3-4 players would make the game unenjoyable

>People who opt in for 3-4 player campaigns know what their getting into.
-
I am sure their is more points but those are the major ones I hear from both sides. But what if we could have our cake and eat it too? What if we could get something implemented, but not impact a lot of dev time?

Idea: What if CA simply implemented a base feature or even free dlc, that allowed 3-4 player campaign, co-op, 1v1v1(v1), 2v2. Make it passible, and simply give the tools to the community? If given the tools, I'm sure this community would iron out the details and get something working that they want.

Not only would this help save dev time for the feature, it would show how much of the community is really interested in supporting this feature.

Bonus for CA, such a thing would incentivize more sales, since more friends can join in more people will want to play the game together, I know a handful of people who would invest just to play big games with one another, more games sold = more people buying dlc. So its hard to argue it would be time wasted.
-
Thoughts or counter arguments? if this idea has been suggested before I apologize though I'd like to hear arguments against this, please lets keep it civil
Tagged: Multiplayermore playersideadisscussion
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• TheKrakenmeisterTheKrakenmeister Registered Users Posts: 135
    Not really the kind of features you can just "hand to the community" if the game isn't open source. Granting modders access to tools without letting them hack or change anything they want about the game is time intensive in and of itself. It would most definitely be easier for them to actually develop it fully than to try to cobble together the basic foundations and outsource the development to the playerbase.
  • RawSugarRawSugar Registered Users Posts: 1,349
    i dont really see it as feasible to make the game playable for several players anyway.
    what they could do was make a simpler version of the map, something like shogun 1 or even smaller/simpler and link that to muliplayer battles somehow. the campaign map is honestly to big and slow for singleplayer, you'd have to be insane to want to make it 4 times as slow :open_mouth:
  • LaliraLalira Registered Users Posts: 7
    I guess that is a valid point Kraken, though if they couldn't give the tools to the player base I admit Iean in more to the side of giving players the option for more multiplayer content, frustrating how the TW games seem to have taken steps backwards in some regards, I wish we had rome 1 siege or proper naval fights like their older titles. I believe medieval 2 had big multiplayer lobbies as well? Its been awhile.

and @RawSugar, yea call me crazy then. I play co-op just fine with a friend atm, sucks that more than a couple wanna join in since we normally play games together.

I guess then my question is what are some more feasible ideas people would give to CA, on expanding multiplayer?
  • TheKrakenmeisterTheKrakenmeister Registered Users Posts: 135
    Lalira said:

I guess that is a valid point Kraken, though if they couldn't give the tools to the player base I admit Iean in more to the side of giving players the option for more multiplayer content, frustrating how the TW games seem to have taken steps backwards in some regards, I wish we had rome 1 siege or proper naval fights like their older titles. I believe medieval 2 had big multiplayer lobbies as well? Its been awhile.

and @RawSugar, yea call me crazy then. I play co-op just fine with a friend atm, sucks that more than a couple wanna join in since we normally play games together.

I guess then my question is what are some more feasible ideas people would give to CA, on expanding multiplayer?

Yeah, Total War as a franchise has a lot of trouble deviating from their original format for campaigns. I think they could benefit greatly from a large rework in either of two directions: 1. a highly narrative singleplayer campaign experience, with cutscenes, influential decisions and plot points, etc. or 2. a balanced and competitive multiplayer campaign experience like Civ 5 but with playable battles. It just seems to me that the current campaign is lacking a lot of focus due to the fact that it hasn't been changed at a fundamental level for two decades. They have spent most of their resources recently creating a stunning fantasy environment but when they try something more manageable in terms of aesthetics I hope they experiment with the core mechanics some more.

Ultimately they are going to work on whatever sells. They are doing that quite well at the moment, and it is at the expense of multiplayer. Although I think making a multiplayer-focused Total War could prove extremely lucrative, it is a lot riskier than what they are currently doing. It would take a lot of initial work put in and could just flop if not executed correctly.
  • The_baronThe_baron Registered Users Posts: 651
    CA already officially stated they weren't working on more that 2+ players for campaign a couple of months ago. So Warhammer III the best game to have a +4 mortal empire campaign with friends will not have that feature - what a waste.

CA forsaken multiplayer development - if Troy having only a BETA multiplayer 6 months after its release and just now they added a chat option exactly the same one that had existed for all previous total war games for the best decade or so - if this doesn't make you understand that multiplayer is dead then I don't know what will :)

I officially gave up.

Also for those who think multiplayer couldn't be fixed or multiple people can't play together, check out this post :
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/dorn6e/feedback_ideas_multiplayer_in_total_war_what/

and as a programmer and developer, I can say it's possible, its all a matter of vision time, and resource - CA has no vision cause if they would have they could have had such a perfect multiplayer for all those people that play WH and just grind the game to unlock colors and patterns and what not :) - gold mine if you ask me - they couldn't even grab it XD
  • natchosempirenatchosempire Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 16
    I have done something for Rome 2 and Tabletop simulator. In allows you to play a 4 players campaign. Factions are ROME, CARTHAGE, MASSALIA, MACEDON.

and check the discord were the players organize to play

https://discord.gg/XwjaNws8Nw

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file