Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What do you expect from a Total War Lord of The Rings?

Ulthuan_VolcanoUlthuan_Volcano Registered Users Posts: 90
edited February 14 in Total War General Chat
I am confident that at some point CA will make a game about Lord Of the Rings and even if there are not as many races or varied units as in warhammer they can focus on other things that warhammer lacked.

What I would love is to be able to play in the first age to see the beautiful elven cities of Nargothrond, Tirion, Gondolin, Doriath,... But also fortresses like Angband. Also I'd love to play the Noldor fighting Balrogs and the forces of Morgoth. Even if the game is mainly focused on the third age i'd love it if we could play during the first age too.

And you what do you expect from this future game?
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• GettoGeckoGettoGecko Registered Users Posts: 1,233
    That CA doesn't get the licence and even don't want it.
  • Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,450
    About 10 starting races, for a start. I'm tired of paceholders and I don't want to see Rohan and the Men of Dale as Gondor paceholders, and so on.

These are the possible races for a Third Age Total War. I don't expect CA doing a First/Second Age Total War before a Third Age Total War.
  • veresh1989veresh1989 Russia, Saint-PetersburgRegistered Users Posts: 4,365
    I would like the whole map to be implemented, namely Valinor.

edited February 14

That CA doesn't get the licence and even don't want it.

And here I was thinking content deniers learned their lesson. They never do.

I would like the whole map to be implemented, namely Valinor.

THIS
    is the whole map.
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Registered Users Posts: 1,562
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,467
    I expect this thread to get moved.

I also kinda expect that it won't happen because the best way to do it would mean to have the licence to do the Movie LotR version, not "just" the book version.

Given that this is probably too expensive I don't think CA will do that and I don't see a version "just" base on the books as promising from CA's point of view.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,857
    Lord of the Rings really got me into the whole fantasy setting once upon a time. But push comes to shove I'd rather CA did a 40k variant of Total War instead of rehashing the Total War concept on another, in my opinion, duller fantasy setting.

Let's have some truly revolutionizing of Total War.

Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • CvejoCvejo Registered Users Posts: 67
    edited February 14
    Contrary to popular opinion, there is nowhere enough lore to warrant a LotR Total War.

AFAIK, so much stuff would have to be improvised to fill in the blanks. We can see with LotR mods all the issues. Total War games are reaching such a huge scale with Warhammer it is literally unreachable.

Maybe like a standalone mini-TW title, to the style of Thrones of Britannia or perhaps even more precisely Troy. And keep in mind how those turned out.

One of the main issues of Tolkien's world is that it isn't really a sandbox "total war" world, but a very clearly struggle between two sides, in a nutshell. A large Tolkienesque CA title would probably be significantly criticized by Tolkien-fans due to being forced to literally butcher the lore and spirit of the games, with e.g. "Hobbit World Conquest Let's plays", etcetera.

Having said that, I stand by that a smaller title TW game with a small number of factions would indeed be interesting. I would really like to play a big Siege of Minas Tirith only CA can create. But the Laboratory and Warhammer 3 show the tech and computer capabilities are not there yet. They're close, but not quite there. The immensely huge battles, with tens of thousands of unit models on the map, is literally at the doorstep. No Tolkien TW would do any justice without that.
    RikRiorik said:

But push comes to shove I'd rather CA did a 40k variant of Total War instead of rehashing the Total War concept on another, in my opinion, duller fantasy setting.

Let's have some truly revolutionizing of Total War.

Also, LotR is duller than Warhammer? Where the hell are you living?

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,996
    CA could work together with GW and use all the TT miniatures to make unique unit rosters for Gondor, Rohan, Isengart, Mordor, Rhun, Haradrim and so on.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,055
    I want Ingwë, and I expect Ingwion leading the Host of Valinor.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

• AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,009
    The LOTR license is obnoxiously expensive and the movie one even more so.

I dont see it happening.
    Cvejo said:

Contrary to popular opinion, there is nowhere enough lore to warrant a LotR Total War.

AFAIK, so much stuff would have to be improvised to fill in the blanks. We can see with LotR mods all the issues. Total War games are reaching such a huge scale with Warhammer it is literally unreachable.

Maybe like a standalone mini-TW title, to the style of Thrones of Britannia or perhaps even more precisely Troy. And keep in mind how those turned out.

One of the main issues of Tolkien's world is that it isn't really a sandbox "total war" world, but a very clearly struggle between two sides, in a nutshell. A large Tolkienesque CA title would probably be significantly criticized by Tolkien-fans due to being forced to literally butcher the lore and spirit of the games, with e.g. "Hobbit World Conquest Let's plays", etcetera.

There is enough lore to make more than one Middle Earth Total War game set in each of the three ages. Also, Hobbits would never, ever be their own race.

I dont see it happening.

Go look at how small the company creating Gollum is. Your point is mute.
    ArneSo said:

CA could work together with GW and use all the TT miniatures to make unique unit rosters for Gondor, Rohan, Isengart, Mordor, Rhun, Haradrim and so on.

I really doubt that GW can really help there...
    they have/had the licence to make a TT for the Movie LotR and added some stuff there.

I don't hink that means that they then can give that Stuff to CA (or anyone else).
    In the very least, it would probably mean that CA has to do double licence.
    one for Movie LotR
    one for the LotR TT.

Which makes that part even more expensive.

I dont see it happening.

And they will pay an absolute premium for that; it's a huge risk. No one is saying CA couldn't afford it, but will they want to? Most certainly not.

I'd happily be surprised but I dont think CA will risk another fantasy title for years to come - and when they do it will most likely be 40k.

Give it a decade and we will see where we are then.

I dont see it happening.

And they will pay an absolute premium for that; it's a huge risk. No one is saying CA couldn't afford it, but will they want to? Most certainly not.

I'd happily be surprised but I dont think CA will risk another fantasy title for years to come - and when they do it will most likely be 40k.

They will want to. Why? Because LotR is the most popular fantasy IP with the largest fanbase and the most requested fantasy IP for the next Total War game.

What do you mean "risk"? There's no risk. 40K Total War is not going to happen. The combat, wich is completley ranged focused, doesn't work for a Total War game.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,857

I dont see it happening.

They will want to. Why? Because LotR is the most popular fantasy IP with the largest fanbase and the most requested fantasy IP for the next Total War game.

What do you mean "risk"? There's no risk. 40K Total War is not going to happen. The combat, wich is completley ranged focused, doesn't work for a Total War game.
    There'sa reason this meme isn't entirely wrong.

Also as pertains to LotR being duller I'd say yes it is. It's great don't get me wrong but it's considerably less over the top and a lot more mundane.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
    edited February 14

I dont see it happening.

According to that logic, LotR should have happen before TW WH, yet here wer are with the trilogy of WH and no LotR TW.
    Also and I know that is hard to accept for people, but Warhammer is, as basis for a TW, simply better:
    it has more armies which are more diverse. It is actually a game itself which already helps in many aspects. And it has a perfect balance of being a popular franchise, yet not be too mainstream that requiring it is really expensive.
    LotR is the most popular in its movie version, which will be a lot more expensive. LotR book version is more diffcult in terms of marketing since for many people would see it and not recognize it as the LotR why watch in the cinema.

I heard "TW Warhammer will never happen because of XY" many times before.
    As for your particular claim:

(also what do you think TW Empire, Napoleon or FotS are if not range focused)
    RikRiorik said:

I dont see it happening.

There'sa reason this meme isn't entirely wrong.

Also as pertains to LotR being duller I'd say yes it is. It's great don't get me wrong but it's considerably less over the top and a lot more mundane.
    And what if it's less over-the-top and more mudane? Some people prefer one, some prefer the other. Both are completley different settings,great settings, and deserve their own Total War game. Both fit the Total War formula, unlike 40K and the likes.
  • KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 2,989
    Rather have GoT.

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,813
    Play Battle For Middle Earth II Reforged when it comes out, that's as close to a LotR TW as you'll get.

SiWI said:

I dont see it happening.

According to that logic, LotR should have happen before TW WH, yet here wer are with the trilogy of WH and no LotR TW.
    Also and I know that is hard to accept for people, but Warhammer is, as basis for a TW, simply better:
    it has more armies which are more diverse. It is actually a game itself which already helps in many aspects. And it has a perfect balance of being a popular franchise, yet not be too mainstream that requiring it is really expensive.
    LotR is the most popular in its movie version, which will be a lot more expensive. LotR book version is more diffcult in terms of marketing since for many people would see it and not recognize it as the LotR why watch in the cinema.

(also what do you thin TW Empire, Napoleon or FotS are if not range focused)
    Usually, when you make a type of game wich requires a licence for the first time, you chose the cheaper one.
    LotR has enough diverse armies. Have you looked at the first comment I wrote on this thread? There are some of the races that could make it in.
    Expensive. When talkimg about a LotR Total War I've heard this word many times. It's not like with the money CA aquired thanks to the Warhammer triology they could easily get the licence.
    Napoleon and Empire are ranged focused, but not completley ranged focused. A musket also works differently from an automatic rifle. That's one unit. There are at least 10 main races in 40K. All need more than one melee focused unit.

Play Battle For Middle Earth II Reforged when it comes out, that's as close to a LotR TW as you'll get.

Oh, look, another content denier. Still left with the taste of ash in your mouth after Cathay happened? Don't worry, it'll happen again with Middle Earth Total War.
    Kelefane said:

Rather have GoT.

You mean a historical Total War with one race being frosty undead and that’s it? Naaah.............rather not.

I dont see it happening.

Now who is the content denier?

40K is not ranged focussed. There are ranged focussed factions sure; just like there is in fantasy but the majority of races have large melee components of the roster and some races are almost entirely centred around melee (Tyranids, Orks, World Eaters).

Remember that 40k and warhammer fantasy were not worlds apart in how they functioned; indeed they used the same characteristics systems - in addition 40k battles are not like modern warfare. Instead they look like this;

Notice anything? Two lines of troops smashing face in close quarter combat. You would be foolish to think CA won't be strongly considering a 40k game at this point; especially given how popular this game was.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,813

Oh, look, another content denier. Still left with the taste of ash in your mouth after Cathay happened? Don't worry, it'll happen again with Middle Earth Total War.
    From this I can only guess you are not as firm in your conviction as you'd like to present yourself to be.

• DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,208
    I would love to see it, and if they could make it I would expect it to be like the various mods.

However:
    • As much as I love LOTR, it's nowhere near as interesting as Warhammer- less diverse races, fewer monsters, less big exciting magic. It would be closer to a historical game (in terms of battles) than Warhammer.
    • The rights are a ball ache to get- to get the movie rights (with all the music/actors most people love LOTR for) I believe they'd have to work a deal with Warner Bros/WB game, and to get the book rights they'd still have to work with the Tolkien estate- neither of which would be easy to work with or cheap/easy rights to get.
    • As others have said, LOTR is a lot more black-and-white than Warhammer- it would probably bring an Order/Mordor tide bigger than the Ordertide of Mortal Empires.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind & the Hobgoblin Khanate!

SiWI said:

I dont see it happening.

(also what do you thin TW Empire, Napoleon or FotS are if not range focused)
    Usually, when you make a type of game wich requires a licence for the first time, you chose the cheaper one.
    LotR has enough diverse armies. Have you looked at the first comment I wrote on this thread? There are some of the races that could make it in.
    none of them makes them as half as interesting as any of the 4 starting races of WH1 or 2.
    Let alone the DLC#s or Wh3.

Expensive. When talkimg about a LotR Total War I've heard this word many times. It's not like with the money CA aquired thanks to the Warhammer triology they could easily get the licence.

Sure but why waste it?
    The movie version will be still very expensive in relation to WH and a book version promise less success.
    Also given the circumstances of Covid and even Brexit, CA maybe has less money on hand then you think.

Napoleon and Empire are ranged focused, but not completley ranged focused. A musket also works differently from an automatic rifle. That's one unit. There are at least 10 main races in 40K. All need more than one melee focused unit.

Every 40k game, from Final Libertation to the DoW series, before has already mange this "problem".

And if "one unit" is not enought, luckly I can give you a 2nd one ;)

even a third one:

it is almost if you have, once again, no clue what you are talking about.