Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What do you expect from a Total War Lord of The Rings?

Comments

• virginia1861virginia1861 Registered Users Posts: 249

The LOTR license is obnoxiously expensive and the movie one even more so.

I dont see it happening.

Go look at how small the company creating Gollum is. Your point is mute.
    And they will pay an absolute premium for that; it's a huge risk. No one is saying CA couldn't afford it, but will they want to? Most certainly not.

I'd happily be surprised but I dont think CA will risk another fantasy title for years to come - and when they do it will most likely be 40k.

Give it a decade and we will see where we are then.

how much is this licence? why do small companies get the rights all the time?
    SiWI said:

I dont see it happening.

Go look at how small the company creating Gollum is. Your point is mute.
    And they will pay an absolute premium for that; it's a huge risk. No one is saying CA couldn't afford it, but will they want to? Most certainly not.

I'd happily be surprised but I dont think CA will risk another fantasy title for years to come - and when they do it will most likely be 40k.

Give it a decade and we will see where we are then.
    They will want to. Why? Because LotR is the most popular fantasy IP with the largest fanbase and the most requested fantasy IP for the next Total War game.

What do you mean "risk"? There's no risk. 40K Total War is not going to happen. The combat, wich is completley ranged focused, doesn't work for a Total War game.
    According to that logic, LotR should have happen before TW WH, yet here wer are with the trilogy of WH and no LotR TW.
    Also and I know that is hard to accept for people, but Warhammer is, as basis for a TW, simply better:
    it has more armies which are more diverse. It is actually a game itself which already helps in many aspects. And it has a perfect balance of being a popular franchise, yet not be too mainstream that requiring it is really expensive.
    LotR is the most popular in its movie version, which will be a lot more expensive. LotR book version is more diffcult in terms of marketing since for many people would see it and not recognize it as the LotR why watch in the cinema.

I heard "TW Warhammer will never happen because of XY" many times before.
    As for your particular claim:

(also what do you think TW Empire, Napoleon or FotS are if not range focused)
    Warhammer is more diverse, but better? no. I have no intrest in warhammer despite its variety. LOTR has more then enough variety and i would pay @350 for a LOTR tw.

Play Battle For Middle Earth II Reforged when it comes out, that's as close to a LotR TW as you'll get.

No, that is a RTS in a LOTR skin. it looks good but gameplay has nothing to do with LOTR

If I felt like LotR TW I'd get the mod.. I certainly wouldn't pay £49.99 for it.

spoken from soenone who does not like LOTR i am not surprised. As someone who does not like warhammer I would not even play a mod lol.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,795
    edited February 19

Lack of variety in LOTR? must be they have not read the books.

If you read the books there's even less because it's the movies that spiced the battles up. If you just go by the books you wouldn't even have fighting elves or Dwarfs outside of Gimli and Legolas

I dont see it happening.

Why is it small companies consistency get the rights to LOTR but people claim CA cannot?

What of the rights to the books?
    Sure, show all those "small" companies doing games with the movie series aesthetics. I don't care about licenses from the Tolkien estates itself, those are small fry and irrelevant.

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,695
    edited February 19
    Lets focus on thread subject.

I expect:
    - it would be more optimized compared to Warhammer.
    - has extreme unit size, tested with Laboratory Mode
    - no comment on single entity unit though
    - awesome battlemaps and awesome sieges
    - awesome animations, CA might refurbish their animations from Warhammer
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,200

If I felt like LotR TW I'd get the mod.. I certainly wouldn't pay £49.99 for it.

spoken from soenone who does not like LOTR i am not surprised. As someone who does not like warhammer I would not even play a mod lol.
    I do like LotRs, just not as a TW game.

Play Battle For Middle Earth II Reforged when it comes out, that's as close to a LotR TW as you'll get.

No, that is a RTS in a LOTR skin. it looks good but gameplay has nothing to do with LOTR
    Eh, how would Total War LotR be any different from the War of the Ring mode in that game other than being more sophisticated?

• bilbobaggins764bilbobaggins764 Registered Users Posts: 49
    edited February 19

If you read the books there's even less because it's the movies that spiced the battles up. If you just go by the books you wouldn't even have fighting elves or Dwarfs outside of Gimli and Legolas

I dont see it happening.

Why is it small companies consistency get the rights to LOTR but people claim CA cannot?

Sure, show all those "small" companies doing games with the movie series aesthetics. I don't care about licenses from the Tolkien estates itself, those are small fry and irrelevant.
    ???? there are literally hundreds of units that can be created I have taken notes myself. These are unedited and the list very long i can post it in time if you wish. The movies [many might read over] provide tremendous diversity it you read the book looking for those things as i have done.

No elves of dwarves fighting outside of Gimli?

my dear sir you have given away your lack of reading on this subject and therefore should not make comments on things you don't know. The dwarves allied with dale and Laketown were in battles during the war of the ring. Dale was taken by Easterlings and erobor besieged. King Brand [Bards son] and Dain ironfoot were both killed in the action. Lorien was attacked 3 times by Dol Guldur and eventually repelled them and took Dol Guldur. Galadriel through down its walls. King Thranduil or Mirkwood won the battle under the trees and then helped the elves of Lorien in the attack on Dol Guldur.

Further other forces could have entered. More dwarves from the blue mountains, Rivendell, the grey havens etc all could join in a tw type of game. just as every tw game does not follow history perfectley.

Please I beg you, do not make comments on things that you have no knowledge of.

You prove what you argue aginst, "small fry, and irrelevant" companies can get the rights but CA cannot?

I do like LotRs, just not as a TW game.
    Due tell why. because it seems the perfect fit for TW from where i sit.

Eh, how would Total War LotR be any different from the War of the Ring mode in that game other than being more sophisticated?
    War of the ring mode?
    edited February 19

I dont see it happening.

???? there are literally hundreds of units that can be created I have taken notes myself. These are unedited and the list very long i can post it in time if you wish. The movies [many might read over] provide tremendous diversity it you read the book looking for those things as i have done.

my dear sir you have given away your lack of reading on this subject and therefore should not make comments on things you don't know. The dwarves allied with dale and Laketown were in battles during the war of the ring. Dale was taken by Easterlings and erobor besieged. King Brand [Bards son] and Dain ironfoot were both killed in the action. Lorien was attacked 3 times by Dol Guldur and eventually repelled them and took Dol Guldur. Galadriel through down its walls. King Thranduil or Mirkwood won the battle under the trees and then helped the elves of Lorien in the attack on Dol Guldur.

Further other forces could have entered. More dwarves from the blue mountains, Rivendell, the grey havens etc all could join in a tw type of game. just as every tw game does not follow history perfectley.

You prove what you argue aginst, "small fry, and irrelevant" companies can get the rights but CA cannot?
    I don't give a damn about events added in the appendices. My first set of LotR books didn't even have them.

And I'm still waiting for all the games that use the movie series' aesthetics and actor likenesses. Tolkien estate licenses are irrelevant because those games have so far remained niche.

I dont see it happening.

I don't give a damn about events added in the appendices. My first set of LotR books didn't even have them.

And I'm still waiting for all the games that use the movie series' aesthetics and actor likenesses. Tolkien estate licenses are irrelevant because those games have so far remained niche.

So you admit your knowledge is lacking in the area you speak of. You also seem to force a very odd scenario. It would be like me saying you cant do a rome total war, unless the events happen only as i read in one single book. Nothing else could have happened and nothing can in any other way. If that is your idea of LOTR TW it would still beat warhammer imo, but yes it would be more limited.

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,695
    Maybe Middle Earth mechanic will have something to do with rings.

Also there were many rings in the lore, right?
  • Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,449
    jamreal18 said:

Three for elves, seven for dwarves, nine for men and One for Sauron.

jamreal18 said:

Three for elves, seven for dwarves, nine for men and One for Sauron.
    and one game to rule them all for us.

I dont see it happening.

So you admit your knowledge is lacking in the area you speak of. You also seem to force a very odd scenario. It would be like me saying you cant do a rome total war, unless the events happen only as i read in one single book. Nothing else could have happened and nothing can in any other way. If that is your idea of LOTR TW it would still beat warhammer imo, but yes it would be more limited.

Missing:

examples of successful games using the Tolkien estate license exclusively.

I dont see it happening.

Missing:

jamreal18 said:

By the time of the War of the Ring, Sauron had the nine and what remained of the seven and the three elf ones couldn't be used for fear of falling under Sauron's dominion should he ever get his one back. So only one ring was left that actually mattered.

I dont see it happening.

Missing:

I would mention BFME, LOTR online, and war of the ring .

Missing, examples of LOTR games that failed that were done in a manner like CA games.
    Missing, examples of successful warhammer grand strategy games before CA did it.

Delivered- the most popular mod of all times in any TW game, third age total war.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 21,325
    It is still my personal opinion that Lord of the Rings will not make a good Creative Assembly game. Too much would have to be done to make it faction interesting.

I supposed, if one is not acquainted with the saga, then just about any ..stuff.. would work. Problematic comment I suspect, but who doesn't have some kind of knowledge of LotR?
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

I dont see it happening.

Missing:

Missing, examples of LOTR games that failed that were done in a manner like CA games.
    Missing, examples of successful warhammer grand strategy games before CA did it.

Delivered- the most popular mod of all times in any TW game, third age total war.
    Still missing:

War of the Ring is the only game that uses the Tolkien estate license from that list and it was a massive flop that's close to impossible to play nowadays. The other two use the WB movies license, so they don't count.

Mods are irrelevant.

I dont see it happening.

Missing:

Still missing:

War of the Ring is the only game that uses the Tolkien estate license from that list and it was a massive flop that's close to impossible to play nowadays. The other two use the WB movies license, so they don't count.

Mods are irrelevant.
    Still missing

war of the ring is a flop? in what way? it has always had great ratings and a onlinecomunity.

No grand stretegy game has ever used the license from the Tolkien estate only, that is the point. Just like warhammer. But if CA do it with LOTR they will be including the largest fantasy fan base there has ever been.

Mods are in no way irrelevant. It shows the a mod based on LOTr from med 2 is still by far the most poular mod ever made. It shows just what the voting shows, TW players want LOTR. You just dont want it and are trying to find ways to justify it.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,710

Still missing

war of the ring is a flop? in what way? it has always had great ratings and a onlinecomunity.

No grand stretegy game has ever used the license from the Tolkien estate only, that is the point. Just like warhammer. But if CA do it with LOTR they will be including the largest fantasy fan base there has ever been.

Mods are in no way irrelevant. It shows the a mod based on LOTr from med 2 is still by far the most poular mod ever made. It shows just what the voting shows, TW players want LOTR. You just dont want it and are trying to find ways to justify it.

How many companies do games like CA? Not many as it's also a niche market.

WH is a hugely popular game so it's translation was naturally popular.

It's the most downloaded TW mod, however shame the site doesn't record the number of unique downloads which does cause issues saying how popular it actually is.

And no they wont get the largest fan base. Same way all the other LotR games haven't got it.
  • Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,449
    dge1 said:

It is still my personal opinion that Lord of the Rings will not make a good Creative Assembly game. Too much would have to be done to make it faction interesting.

I supposed, if one is not acquainted with the saga, then just about any ..stuff.. would work. Problematic comment I suspect, but who doesn't have some kind of knowledge of LotR?

If LotR doesn't work as a CA game, no other fantasy IP does. And we all know that after Warhammer CA won't keep their hands from fantasy Total War for long.
    Commisar said:

Still missing

How many companies do games like CA? Not many as it's also a niche market.

WH is a hugely popular game so it's translation was naturally popular.

It's the most downloaded TW mod, however shame the site doesn't record the number of unique downloads which does cause issues saying how popular it actually is.

And no they wont get the largest fan base. Same way all the other LotR games haven't got it.

Everything is a niche, Warhammer is niche. I love grand strategy, love former TW games, yet I did not play Warhammer because I have no interest in it and it cant be modded into a LOTR game. What fantasy has a bigger niche than Tolkien? what do you suggest they do next that has a bigger fanbase? if you know of a fantasy game that everyone would enjoy please don't keep this gnostic knowledge hidden reveal it to me.

Tolkien is hugely popular and middle earth translates naturally to TW.

It is also voted the best mod year after year. it is downloaded off multiple sites as well. You are simply trying to ignore what the pools say and what the community says, we want LOTR, and third age is the most popular mod there is. I have to wonder what all this double standard is that you apply to Tolkien and denial of the obvious is for? what game would you like next?

No game has been done in a lore accurate grand strategy way, the way the books are. BFME came close and was very popular. So you are arguing from silence. Besides, let's say the Tolkien fan base is not motivated and they wont go for it. Well then the TW fanbase does want it. It wants it more than any other as the polls show, and it enjoyed the third age mode more than any other. thus you have shot yourself in the foot.

You must admit by your own baseless claim [ that Tolkien fans won't play LOTR TW we will ignore judgment on the merits of your claim] that the Tw community does. Know that will be hard to argue your case now. So please argue why no Tolkien fans will play a well-done TW based on Middle-earth, then argue that the TW fans really dont mean what they say when they download mods, vote for them, or vote for polls. I am excited to hear your case.

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,200
    There’s only one new fantasy trilogy coming out for TW and anyone who doesn’t think so - is wrong:

Game 1: Hero Quest
    Game 2: Hero Quest
    Game 3: Hero Quest

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,710

Everything is a niche, Warhammer is niche. I love grand strategy, love former TW games, yet I did not play Warhammer because I have no interest in it and it cant be modded into a LOTR game. What fantasy has a bigger niche than Tolkien? what do you suggest they do next that has a bigger fanbase? if you know of a fantasy game that everyone would enjoy please don't keep this gnostic knowledge hidden reveal it to me.

It is also voted the best mod year after year. it is downloaded off multiple sites as well. You are simply trying to ignore what the pools say and what the community says, we want LOTR, and third age is the most popular mod there is. I have to wonder what all this double standard is that you apply to Tolkien and denial of the obvious is for? what game would you like next?

You must admit by your own baseless claim [ that Tolkien fans won't play LOTR TW we will ignore judgment on the merits of your claim] that the Tw community does. Know that will be hard to argue your case now. So please argue why no Tolkien fans will play a well-done TW based on Middle-earth, then argue that the TW fans really dont mean what they say when they download mods, vote for them, or vote for polls. I am excited to hear your case.

Right now there's lots of settings that are liable to make more sense for CA than LotR. I don't think CA will get them/do them however for similar reasons as have already been brought up in this thread.

It really doesn't naturally translate to TW. It takes a lot of work to actually translate it to TW. WHF translates naturally as it is already a game with preset units and such. LotR not so much. While the setting has been popular it has been decreasing and has got to the point now that people are willing to admit to not liking it at conventions and such. There's also the big issue that the majority of the fans aren't the target audience for TW.

It's not baseless. I know/have known a lot of fans of LotR and they aren't going to play a TW game of it. A number of simple answers, majority aren't gamers and don't have a computer to run it on.

Polls as has been explained previously with a small subset of the community. Mods again having it spread over multiple sites doesn't help support it being widely popular and neither does the people voting for it again the majority of people don't play with mods and aren't going out of their way to vote for them.

There’s only one new fantasy trilogy coming out for TW and anyone who doesn’t think so - is wrong:

Game 1: Hero Quest
    Game 2: Hero Quest
    Game 3: Hero Quest

who could say no? with that guy in advertisement nothing could go wrong.
    edited February 23
    Commisar said:

Right now there's lots of settings that are liable to make more sense for CA than LotR. I don't think CA will get them/do them however for similar reasons as have already been brought up in this thread.

It really doesn't naturally translate to TW. It takes a lot of work to actually translate it to TW. WHF translates naturally as it is already a game with preset units and such. LotR not so much. While the setting has been popular it has been decreasing and has got to the point now that people are willing to admit to not liking it at conventions and such. There's also the big issue that the majority of the fans aren't the target audience for TW.

It's not baseless. I know/have known a lot of fans of LotR and they aren't going to play a TW game of it. A number of simple answers, majority aren't gamers and don't have a computer to run it on.

Polls as has been explained previously with a small subset of the community. Mods again having it spread over multiple sites doesn't help support it being widely popular and neither does the people voting for it again the majority of people don't play with mods and aren't going out of their way to vote for them.

So you suggest CA dump fantasy? you mention "lots" of alternatives but cannot name one that better fits TW?

That is what game developers are for, they do get paid to do these things. Are you suggesting Warhammer was picked up and then placed in CPU form? If unpaid fans can translate the world of middle earth for a mod i think CA could also do it. I am not seeing how LOTR does not translate? it is a world that easily translate to the TW format .

Tolkien carries the largest fantasy fan base of all time only expanded by the movies that could be brought into the total war series. A match made in haven. As someone who has not played a total war game since empire, this would get me back into total war. Lord of the Rings is the best selling fantasy book of all time. The Hobbit is the third best fantasy seller. Besides the Bible, LOTR is the third best selling book of all time, the Hobbit is 8th on the all time list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-selling_books
    https://jamesclear.com/best-books/best-selling

The world created by Tolkien would fit perfectly for the next fantasy total war game. Lord of the Rings provides what Total war needs.

- Large fan base already present
    - Multiple diverse factions with both challenges and bonuses for each
    - Hugh map of Middle Earth with diverse terrain and battle maps
    - Large numbers of diverse units and forces for epic battles
    - Large castles for epic siege battles
    - Hero's of legend with special abilities
    -Agents, spies, assassins, diplomats etc
    - Battle over land, sea and air
    - Economy and trade

It is not surprising that the most awarded, most downloaded , mod ever made for a total war game is the third age mod.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Age-Total-War

It shows the poetical for what a CA done Lord of the Rings total war would be, it would simply be the "One game to rule them all"

However there is an irrefutable reason CA needs to make middle earth total war. Tolkien was from England, CA is based in England. Tolkien made LOTR so England could have its own fantasy [like the Norse epics]. Therefore , out of sheer duty and patriotism, CA must know make the video game for England. Or else CA have no right to be called Brits.

Like I said you refute your own argument. let's pretend the largest fantasy base of all time ignores and refuses to play a LOTR TW. We will base this on your balesess unsupported claim that LOTR fans go to conversions and "that people are willing to admit to not liking it at conventions and such." By the way tell amazon this they spent hundreds of millions of dollars to do a show based on Tolkiens far less popular the Silmarillion. Rumors Universal is going to make a Tolkien land you should warn them that people at conversions admit they don't like Tolkien anymore. Once more i am taking your word as gospel truth that the largest fantasy base of all time is actually a flying spaghetti monster. But I trust your overwhelming evidence based on your claim that no one likes Tolkien anymore.

But if that is true as you tell me, and no Tolkien fans will buy a Tolkien tw, then how do you deal with the TW fans that continually play a mod from decades ago and still vote it year after year the best mod ever made? further what of the pools? are they flying spaghetti monsters as well. See in polls people can actually vote, where as with you we must take your word that those people actually don't want Tolkien, they don't like him anymore. At least with a pool, we have some evidence, a small sample of a large group. In political polling even nationally the sample size is usually a few thousand, a very, very small sample that gives a great indicator, not perfect but better than your baseless claims. Further, these pools represent the more die-hard active TW fans, not Tolkien fans, so the pools are secured away from Tolkien.

So in the end we have great data in support of the TW gamers want Tolkien, and aginst this is your baseless claims. We also have the largest phantasy fanbase ever [for example amazon and universal believe so] that you say is nothing but a flying spaghetti monster. In support, you offer your baseless unsupported claims. You say CA should be done with fantasy after the success of warhammer. Do you see why I question your stance?
    Just found this on cost for the license. Amazon just purchased one for making a Tolkien MMO.

The documents include a licensing agreement for the Tolkien property, which also makes mention of Lord of the Rings Online, an existing MMO that Amazon’s product will launch in direct competition with. The licensing agreement shows Leyou agreeing to pay over $8 million simply to secure the license for the Middle-earth game

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-heap-of-new-details-on-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-have-been-revealed/1100-6484816/