Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What do you expect from a Total War Lord of The Rings?

1235»

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,714

So you suggest CA dump fantasy? you mention "lots" of alternatives but cannot name one that better fits TW?

Again read what has been said. I don't see a point saying them and are well known suggestions but I doubt CA would do it or get the rights to them.

That is what game developers are for, they do get paid to do these things. Are you suggesting Warhammer was picked up and then placed in CPU form? If unpaid fans can translate the world of middle earth for a mod i think CA could also do it. I am not seeing how LOTR does not translate? it is a world that easily translate to the TW format .

Again read what has been said. LotR doesn't naturally translate in to a game as was suggested and what my comment is in response to.

Tolkien carries the largest fantasy fan base of all time only expanded by the movies that could be brought into the total war series. A match made in haven. As someone who has not played a total war game since empire, this would get me back into total war. Lord of the Rings is the best selling fantasy book of all time. The Hobbit is the third best fantasy seller. Besides the Bible, LOTR is the third best selling book of all time, the Hobbit is 8th on the all time list.

It was published over 60 years ago, I can tell you a lot of the fan base who bought the books are not around any more. Second just because you buy a book doesn't mean you play the games or watch the films - I know a lot of people who love the books but have refused to watch the films due to how different they are to the books. Just because a book sells well doesn't mean the game willl, again all the other LotR games that haven't broken any records.

Like I said you refute your own argument. let's pretend the largest fantasy base of all time ignores and refuses to play a LOTR TW. We will base this on your balesess unsupported claim that LOTR fans go to conversions and "that people are willing to admit to not liking it at conventions and such." By the way tell amazon this they spent hundreds of millions of dollars to do a show based on Tolkiens far less popular the Silmarillion. Rumors Universal is going to make a Tolkien land you should warn them that people at conversions admit they don't like Tolkien anymore. Once more i am taking your word as gospel truth that the largest fantasy base of all time is actually a flying spaghetti monster. But I trust your overwhelming evidence based on your claim that no one likes Tolkien anymore.

It's not. Pointless posting to you as this must be more than third time saying it, but show proof that LotR games sell well. That the LotR community loves games and will jump at the opportunity.

So far your entire claim is that the books have sold well over 60 years and ignore that the games haven't sold well.
  • Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,450
    Commisar said:

So you suggest CA dump fantasy? you mention "lots" of alternatives but cannot name one that better fits TW?

Again read what has been said. I don't see a point saying them and are well known suggestions but I doubt CA would do it or get the rights to them.

That is what game developers are for, they do get paid to do these things. Are you suggesting Warhammer was picked up and then placed in CPU form? If unpaid fans can translate the world of middle earth for a mod i think CA could also do it. I am not seeing how LOTR does not translate? it is a world that easily translate to the TW format .

Again read what has been said. LotR doesn't naturally translate in to a game as was suggested and what my comment is in response to.

Tolkien carries the largest fantasy fan base of all time only expanded by the movies that could be brought into the total war series. A match made in haven. As someone who has not played a total war game since empire, this would get me back into total war. Lord of the Rings is the best selling fantasy book of all time. The Hobbit is the third best fantasy seller. Besides the Bible, LOTR is the third best selling book of all time, the Hobbit is 8th on the all time list.

It was published over 60 years ago, I can tell you a lot of the fan base who bought the books are not around any more. Second just because you buy a book doesn't mean you play the games or watch the films - I know a lot of people who love the books but have refused to watch the films due to how different they are to the books. Just because a book sells well doesn't mean the game willl, again all the other LotR games that haven't broken any records.

Like I said you refute your own argument. let's pretend the largest fantasy base of all time ignores and refuses to play a LOTR TW. We will base this on your balesess unsupported claim that LOTR fans go to conversions and "that people are willing to admit to not liking it at conventions and such." By the way tell amazon this they spent hundreds of millions of dollars to do a show based on Tolkiens far less popular the Silmarillion. Rumors Universal is going to make a Tolkien land you should warn them that people at conversions admit they don't like Tolkien anymore. Once more i am taking your word as gospel truth that the largest fantasy base of all time is actually a flying spaghetti monster. But I trust your overwhelming evidence based on your claim that no one likes Tolkien anymore.

It's not. Pointless posting to you as this must be more than third time saying it, but show proof that LotR games sell well. That the LotR community loves games and will jump at the opportunity.

So far your entire claim is that the books have sold well over 60 years and ignore that the games haven't sold well.
    You fail to provide a fantasy IP better suited for a Total War game than LotR, so I'll just guess you mean there's none.
  • bilbobaggins764bilbobaggins764 Registered Users Posts: 49
    Commisar said:

so, in other words, you have no better suggestion then. And perhaps we have missed what your looking for, a perfect game everyone will buy. I would submit no such game exists. All i am saying is the best fantasy game for CA to do would be on Middle-earth.

So what I am asking for is for you to support your claims with logic or evidence. All you have done is claimed some hidden gnostic knowledge that amazon, ca, universal, pools, forums, voting, modders dont have but you do. Until you divulge such hidden knowledge or support it, it remains baseless.

The books have sold more since the movies than before. The fan base is alive and well. But really how could you support this? tell universal, tell amazon, they all seem to think as anyone non bias fantasy fan would, Tolkien carries the largest fand base today, of any fantasy. But if your willing, please support your claim.

Please support that tolkien fans wont play a tw game based on tolkien. I agree not all of them would, just as many total war fans would buy the game and expand the fan base. just as many had not played warhammer but bought it when tw made one. And all the data says tw fans [not including tolkien fans] want tw next. So you must explain why we are all liers and only you hold the gnostic truth.

your now ignoring material you cannot handle. As i said i will even go with the baseless unsupported claim of yours, that the largest current fantasy fan base [tolkien] is actually dead or does not like Tolkien anymore. Let's pretend this gnostic knowledge has been revealed, the flying spaghetti monster is also true. Let's say that is so. The Tolkien community on forums, voting in pools, voting on mods, and playing mods all say the same thing by a large margin, they want tolkien. And as i pointed out last post this group surveyed is biased against Tolkien, it excludes his fan base, yet points directly to Tolkien. so even if we were you take your baseless claims, you still have no better offer than tolkien and must disregard every indicator of what the current total war community desires. And to counter you offer no better option and unsupported claims. I am basing this on the real world not what takes place in your mind and your gnostic understandings.

• VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 498
    edited February 26
    Cortes31 said:

I think that hits it pretty well.

You forgot the Easterlings.

Well the picture did anyway.

But I would think that it'd be great for the different races to actually be a little more focused, as they would be able to feel a little more special in Middle Earth as compared to Warhammer.

That's not to say that the Warhammer races aren't unique in their own ways, but it's just not the same when so many races have all kinds of monsters and this and that kind of stuff.

Things like having some trolls or a wizard like Gandalf would be a lot more meaningful in a Middle Earth Total War.
  • virginia1861virginia1861 Registered Users Posts: 249
    I would love to have some beorings on my side. But who would they go with? Laketown? dale? Mirkwood? or their own small faction?

Cortes31 said:

I think that hits it pretty well.

You forgot the Easterlings.

Well the picture did anyway.

But I would think that it'd be great for the different races to actually be a little more focused, as they would be able to feel a little more special in Middle Earth as compared to Warhammer.

That's not to say that the Warhammer races aren't unique in their own ways, but it's just not the same when so many races have all kinds of monsters and this and that kind of stuff.

Things like having some trolls or a wizard like Gandalf would be a lot more meaningful in a Middle Earth Total War.
    The Easterlings live in Rhun, wich is in the picture.

I would love to have some beorings on my side. But who would they go with? Laketown? dale? Mirkwood? or their own small faction?

They'd probably function simarly to mercenaries from most Total War games, but would only be available to good factions/races.

They'd probably function simarly to mercenaries from most Total War games, but would only be available to good factions/races.
    Sounds right. Do they fight in man or bear form?

They'd probably have a transformation ability to change form.

Like a berserk form, go mad in bear form, more powerful but uncontrollable perhaps?

Like a berserk form, go mad in bear form, more powerful but uncontrollable perhaps?
    It could work, but I was thinking about something else. In Warhammer when you click a lord or hero in battle, you get to see it's abilities around it's face in the bottom-left corner. It also works on certain units. The beorings would have the transformation as an ability that triggers when you click it's icon, and could either work for a certain period of time pefore coming back to human form, or the 'transform into bear form' ability is replaced by a 'transform into human form' ability when the beorings are in bear form.
  • TomCatMe0wTomCatMe0w Registered Users Posts: 96
    I have a question about how the Legendary Lords would work.

Would we be using the actual heroes from the movies and lore? That could cause some rights issue in itself. There's also the fact since Middle-Earth has tons of different famous eras, there'd probably have to be a system similar to 3ks based on time periods, which different lords would be locked into. You can't have Aragorn fighting Morgoth any less than you could have Azog fighting Isildur.
  • VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 498

The Easterlings live in Rhun, wich is in the picture.

Oh...I didn't see that one there.
    edited March 5

I have a question about how the Legendary Lords would work.

Would we be using the actual heroes from the movies and lore? That could cause some rights issue in itself. There's also the fact since Middle-Earth has tons of different famous eras, there'd probably have to be a system similar to 3ks based on time periods, which different lords would be locked into. You can't have Aragorn fighting Morgoth any less than you could have Azog fighting Isildur.

Yes, there's no way you don't have Rohan led by Theoden, Gondor led by Denethor, Arnor/Dunedain of the North led by Aragorn, Mirkwood led by Thanduil, Isengard led by Saruman, Angmar led by the Witch King and the likes in a Third Age/The Lord of the Rings Total War. The two other ages could also be made either like the eras form Three Kingdoms or Total War games in their own right.
    Right, each age should be its own game. However, some characters like Galadriel, Elrond, Sauron, treebeard etc would be in them all.
    If you want a LOTR TW contact CA let them know you want it.

https://www.creative-assembly.com/contact

and games workshop
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Contact-Us