Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer is approaching its last title...

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 10,702
edited February 16 in Total War General Chat
Let's face it, after Warhammer has been compled, CA will move to other project.

How about telling CA what you want?

Please Vote.
https://strawpoll.com/7vfg8okpa
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,633
    Lord of the Rings 100%
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,407
    Pretty sure, Games Workshop would like Creative Assembly to make a video game title for their up and coming Age of Sigmar franchise. Warhammer 40k is also a possibility, but I am not sure, it's exactly CA's area of expertise.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 20,002
    I expect CA to support WH3 for the next 6-8 years but after this, LotR seems the the best and most promising option.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 4,113
    jamreal18 said:

How about telling CA what you want?

We already did. A few years ago there was a survey conducted by CA about what fans would like to see in the future games. And there were a few questions about futuristic settings and 40k videogames.

• sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,252
    I would not like any of these options for various reasons. E.g. LotR may be a cool game, but warhammer is a better setting for a TW game. It has much more factions, more magic and more interesting units than LotR. It would just feel as a weaker experience IMO, even if the setting itself is more popular.

And I do not see 40k being translated into a TW game any time soon. To many things need to be created first, like a way to translste WW1-WW2 battles with tanks, planes and co unto a TW-game format. Also I do not like the setting.

What I would like to see the most is a historical game that goes from1500 to 1700 on a global scale.
    I think this setting works well, as it makes a global game possible, without too much european dominance. It could offer many diverse and different factions and would be an excellent sandbox to turn history on its head.

So if you want to drive off the spaniards as the Inca and conquer north america, go ahead. You want to refill malis gold coffers, break the islamic dominance in east africa as ethiopia or unit the kongolian nations do that. Save the ming dynasty, repell thr moguls as a Raja, invade japan as Korea.
    Reconqer spain as Marocco, usurp the ottomans as timurids or as egypt. Avoid the 30 years war or turn it Sweden into the european hegemon. Etc. Etc.

Of course for gameplays sake smaller breaks of reality would be necessary, e.g. that the azteks may find a european caravel and copy it to leave the americas behind. But man would I love to see this
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 6,580
    Lone Wolf/Magnamund
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• TomCatMe0wTomCatMe0w Registered Users Posts: 96
    It will probably 40k at some point; CA and GW have a good relationship and both has shown interest in a TW:40k game. And remember, even though some people say it can't be done, the same thing was said about TW:WH in the first place.

While a lot of people, including myself, would love to see a TW: Middle Earth, there is the issue of the rights. Unlike WH which is exclusively owned by GW, LOTOR is owned by the Tolkien Estate, Warner Brothers, and EA in different areas and such. For a truly good game, CA would have to get permissive rights from all three; otherwise stuff will be missing in the game due to legal issues.
  • Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,450

It will probably 40k at some point; CA and GW have a good relationship and both has shown interest in a TW:40k game. And remember, even though some people say it can't be done, the same thing was said about TW:WH in the first place.

While a lot of people, including myself, would love to see a TW: Middle Earth, there is the issue of the rights. Unlike WH which is exclusively owned by GW, LOTOR is owned by the Tolkien Estate, Warner Brothers, and EA in different areas and such. For a truly good game, CA would have to get permissive rights from all three; otherwise stuff will be missing in the game due to legal issues.

Correction: all two, EA no longer owns the rights to LotR. And if I remember correctly, Sega has worked with WB before.
  • Qwerty55Qwerty55 Registered Users Posts: 695
    I'll be honest, I would like an Elder Scrolls game, but realistically Lord of the Rings is 100% the way to go.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 2,053
    ArneSo said:

I expect CA to support WH3 for the next 6-8 years but after this, LotR seems the the best and most promising option.

In 6-8 years AOS may have been filled with enough content for a Total War game.

I personally chose LoTR, but simply because AOS is not ready yet for such a demanding game, when it comes to LL, races, armie composition...
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,461
    edited February 16
    I'm not sure how a nerd like me is meant to choose between 40k or LOTR.

Edit: I pick LOTR so hopefully we can get some voice acting done while much of the movie cast is still alive.

Editt: Whilst I want LOTR more I actually think 40k would make for a better game.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.

I'm not sure how a nerd like me is meant to choose between 40k or LOTR.

Edit: I pick LOTR so hopefully we can get some voice acting done while much of the movie cast is still alive.

Editt: Whilst I want LOTR more I actually think 40k would make for a better game.

40k also gives more oportunity for DLC, because it's such a massive universe, but also would be more complex to implement, since it's very gun intensive, but if done well...

I want my Krieg Combat Engineers coming out of the ground with an Hades Breaching Drill to then start throwing Acid Gas grenades to some poor Orks, while a platoon of Death Riders charges from the flank with their Explosive Lances.

• EldrickEldrick Registered Users Posts: 585
    I'd be up for some Silmarillion, where magic and epic battles were more common. But I'd definitely take LoTR as well.
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 1,374

ArneSo said:

I personally chose LoTR, but simply because AOS is not ready yet for such a demanding game, when it comes to LL, races, armie composition...
    Agreed, AoS could do with fully fleshing out some more of their armies (Fyre slayers for example). I do see a lot of potential with playing around the Grand Alliances though with a 3K army system, so you can have multiple races is each army each led by a different character. Lean into the RPG elements some more and you've got a game with a lot of potential.
    edited February 16
    Rob18446 said:

ArneSo said:

Agreed, AoS could do with fully fleshing out some more of their armies (Fyre slayers for example). I do see a lot of potential with playing around the Grand Alliances though with a 3K army system, so you can have multiple races is each army each led by a different character. Lean into the RPG elements some more and you've got a game with a lot of potential.
    Ironically, the only Grand Alliance in which that wouldn't always be the case, is the Order one, since Order aren't the good guys only but everyone that is not of the other three, I mean, just recently Morathi stole an entire city from Sigmar.
  • DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,208
    I want LOTR the most, but I think 40K is the most likely.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 564
    None of these setting will be a good fantasy setting as good as Warhammer, that's why I pick "others"
    LOTR is fine, but lack monsters and magics
    40k would be interesting, not really fit the Total war, I would like to see how they implemented
    Game of Throne, I don't understand why it would be a good idea.
    Age of Sigmar, we already get Warhammer fantasy.
    Elder Scroll, WTF? 0 chance that Microsoft will agree that, more likely to see Total War Minecraft than that.

So I'm always wondering what will next Fantasy title will be
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,009
    edited February 16
    40k is the most likely; you can guarantee CA and GW have already discussed it.

Before people say it can't be done because CA have never done it before. Well until Warhammer total war CA had never done Magic, Monsters or Legendary Characters before either. There's a bigger gap between Rome total war and Warhammer total war then there is between Warhammer total war and 40k.
    Blaced said:

None of these setting will be a good fantasy setting as good as Warhammer, that's why I pick "others"
    40k would be interesting, not really fit the Total war, I would like to see how they implemented
    Elder Scroll, WTF? 0 chance that Microsoft will agree that, more likely to see Total War Minecraft than that.

I expect that the Fantasy team at CA will dedicate some years entirely to Game 3, while CA negotiates with GW or whatever company for permission for another game.
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 1,374

Before people say it can't be done because CA have never done it before. Well until Warhammer total war CA had never done Magic, Monsters or Legendary Characters before either. There's a bigger gap between Rome total war and Warhammer total war then there is between Warhammer total war and 40k.

I never know why people say 40k cant be done, we already had a mostly shooty total war with Napoleon, 40k would be similar to that.
  • DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,208
    Blaced said:

If you asked me a year ago, I would absolutely say that Bethesda would never agree to give their IP to another company, but Microsoft seem to like throwing PC strategy games on Games Pass, so it's more likely now than it was.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • Qwerty55Qwerty55 Registered Users Posts: 695
    Rob18446 said:

I never know why people say 40k cant be done, we already had a mostly shooty total war with Napoleon, 40k would be similar to that.
    40k doesn't have neat rows of regimented suicidal musket men slowly firing at each other. Empire at War, Men of War or Wargame Red Dragon are better suited to 40k.
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 3,871
    5-6 years of Warhammer updates also an option?
    edited February 16
    JungleElf said:

And durning those 5-6 years the Fantasy team will just sit on their arses and stare at the forums, right?
    Rob18446 said:

Napoleon has rows of musket shots. 40K has units that don't fire in rows, automatic rifles, APCs/Tanks, Titans and planes.
    JungleElf said:

We'll get both.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,009
    edited February 16
    Qwerty55 said:

Rob18446 said:

40k doesn't have neat rows of regimented suicidal musket men slowly firing at each other. Empire at War, Men of War or Wargame Red Dragon are better suited to 40k.
    Yes it does.... indeed on the tabletop the Imperial Guardsmen literally have a special rule (or order) called first rank fire, second rank fire. There's whole regiments of the guard based on historical line battle armies;

Battles in 40k are not like Modern battles; they are two giant lines of soldiers charging directly at one another (or holding the line).

Obviously there will be a lot more 'skirmish' units, but we already have plenty of these in game. Indeed the Imperial Guard (one of the more shooty factions) would probably work very similar to how the Empire do now. Lines of troops guarding heavy artillery pieces.

Then of course you have multiple factions dedicated to melee combat primarily (orks and Tyranids); and the majority of factions have a large chunk of their roster dedicated to melee units and monsters.

The dynamics really wouldn't be any different from total war warhammer - especially when you take into account that on the tabletop they were very similar games to start with.
  • BeelzeBeelze Registered Users Posts: 326
    My guess is WH40k or WH - The old world.

One other option is Star Wars - Old republic now when its a free for all on the IP.

edited February 16
    You know I was thinking about what the announcement of game 3 means for a 40k TW.

Realm of Chaos, monogods.

Playable Cicatrix Maledictum and Eye of Terror, Thousands Sons as their own race not just blue CSM. Could be glorious.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 20,002

JungleElf said:

And durning those 5-6 years the Fantasy team will just sit on their arses and stare at the forums, right?
    Well, they'll work on WH DLCs obviously...
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life