Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer is approaching its last title...

Comments

• Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,449
    Beelze said:

My guess is WH40k or WH - The old world.

One other option is Star Wars - Old republic now when its a free for all on the IP.

WH-the Old World would be a reskin of TWW1. Not. Happening.
    I see them doing a WW1/2 Total War to get acomodated to shooty Total Wars with tanks before moving to a futuristic/Sci-Fi IP.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,831
    Beelze said:

One other option is Star Wars - Old republic now when its a free for all on the IP.

WH3 already is The Old World basically.

A Star Wars TW game was also something I thought about. Especialy the Clone Wars era would fit perfect as a TW game.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
    ArneSo said:

JungleElf said:

5-6 years of Warhammer updates also an option?

And durning those 5-6 years the Fantasy team will just sit on their arses and stare at the forums, right?
    Well, they'll work on WH DLCs obviously...
    That's why the Fantasy New Content Team exists.
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 1,374

Rob18446 said:

40k is the most likely; you can guarantee CA and GW have already discussed it.

Before people say it can't be done because CA have never done it before. Well until Warhammer total war CA had never done Magic, Monsters or Legendary Characters before either. There's a bigger gap between Rome total war and Warhammer total war then there is between Warhammer total war and 40k.

I never know why people say 40k cant be done, we already had a mostly shooty total war with Napoleon, 40k would be similar to that.
    Napoleon has rows of musket shots. 40K has units that don't fire in rows, automatic rifles, APCs/Tanks, Titans and planes.
    Aside from Titans (which would never be used as they warp the games scale too much) and planes none of that would prevent a 40k TW game from functioning, we already have units that shoot in skirmish formation, automatic rifles can just be tuned down to semi-auto with no great loss and tanks are no different to units like solar engines in TWWH

ArneSo said:

JungleElf said:

And durning those 5-6 years the Fantasy team will just sit on their arses and stare at the forums, right?
    Which was way to small in WH2. With a bigger team CA could pump out DLCs every 3 months like back in Rome 2 or WH1...
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

JungleElf said:

Which was way to small in WH2. With a bigger team CA could pump out DLCs every 3 months like back in Rome 2 or WH1...
    So you haven't read that they keep recruting new people?
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 2,053
    Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Before people say it can't be done because CA have never done it before. Well until Warhammer total war CA had never done Magic, Monsters or Legendary Characters before either. There's a bigger gap between Rome total war and Warhammer total war then there is between Warhammer total war and 40k.

I never know why people say 40k cant be done, we already had a mostly shooty total war with Napoleon, 40k would be similar to that.
    Napoleon has rows of musket shots. 40K has units that don't fire in rows, automatic rifles, APCs/Tanks, Titans and planes.
    Aside from Titans (which would never be used as they warp the games scale too much) and planes none of that would prevent a 40k TW game from functioning, we already have units that shoot in skirmish formation, automatic rifles can just be tuned down to semi-auto with no great loss and tanks are no different to units like solar engines in TWWH
    You can't tune down a Heavy Bolter or a Heavy Stubber to semiauto.

And, 40k tanks like Solar Engines?

I want Total War 40k, but let's not act like it would be easy.

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

JungleElf said:

So you haven't read that they keep recruting new people?
    No apparently I haven't read that.

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

I start to think that it would be possible in 10 years or so.
  • Qwerty55Qwerty55 Registered Users Posts: 695
    ArneSo said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Arne it has nothing to do with time. CA is more than capable of making a 40k game right now or whenever GW/CA feel like, everything's there. I think what most people are trying to say is that a 40k 'Total War' wouldn't be a total war game anymore but rather something else.
    Qwerty55 said:

ArneSo said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Arne it has nothing to do with time. CA is more than capable of making a 40k game right now or whenever GW/CA feel like, everything's there. I think what most people are trying to say is that a 40k 'Total War' wouldn't be a total war game anymore but rather something else.
    They would have to change the whole concept of TW to make it work today.
    Qwerty55 said:

ArneSo said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Yeah, that is my point, I want it, it's possible, but it would also be difficult.

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

I mean of course you can, it's a game design choice, they can do what they want. And how would any if those function any differently from a solar engine in practise exactly?
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 972
    I don't want any, but the next tent-pole game will be, I guess, either about 40K or something like Mythology TW. Lord of the Rings is the goose with the golden eggs, but it's too late now for CA to acquire the license and start developing it.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

I don't want any, but the next tent-pole game will be, I guess, either about 40K or something like Mythology TW. Lord of the Rings is the goose with the golden eggs, but it's too late now for CA to acquire the license and start developing it.

But it isn't. It wasn't too late for the guys developing Gollum and the new MMO, it isn't too late for CA. Simple.
    Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

I mean of course you can, it's a game design choice, they can do what they want. And how would any if those function any differently from a solar engine in practise exactly?
    A Baneblade is a rolling fortress with automatic guns for days, siege cannons and Laser cannons, with some variants equiped with Vulcan Mega Bolters, Titan size weapons, and your are comparing it to a dino with a glowing cristal and a bunch of skinks throwing javelins?
    Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

The Repulsor Excutioner is a hover tank, the Solar Engine laser would be like a mini version of the Heavy Laser Destructor, the main gun of the tank, then you have an Onslaugth Gatling Cannon, twinn Heavy Bolters, pintled mounted Heavy Stubber and enough grenade launchers to destroy a building, while the Solar Engine has skinks with javelins, not the same at all
  • Kiwi123Kiwi123 Registered Users Posts: 536

JungleElf said:

I hope not. This place has become a cesspit in the last 6 months. We need out lords/saviours to KEEP their braincells

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

The Repulsor Excutioner is a hover tank, the Solar Engine laser would be like a mini version of the Heavy Laser Destructor, the main gun of the tank, then you have an Onslaugth Gatling Cannon, twinn Heavy Bolters, pintled mounted Heavy Stubber and enough grenade launchers to destroy a building, while the Solar Engine has skinks with javelins, not the same at all
    Dude I'm avid 40k player, I know what the tanks do. My point is that none of that is actually any different to what we have already in game. They might need to add an ability to target individual weapons on a tank but they still fulfil the same function as a solar engine type unit.
  • Kiwi123Kiwi123 Registered Users Posts: 536
    ArneSo said:

Beelze said:

WH3 already is The Old World basically.

A Star Wars TW game was also something I thought about. Especialy the Clone Wars era would fit perfect as a TW game.
    Ooh, clone wars would be fun.
    KOTOR period would alse make a good game, plenty of war, lots of death.

Only issue really, with stuff like 40k/ Star Wars, is the space battles. Short of just buying Battlefleet: Gothic, and porting it into CAs engine..... eh. Naval combats never really been CAs strong point
    Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Dude I'm avid 40k player, I know what the tanks do. My point is that none of that is actually any different to what we have already in game. They might need to add an ability to target individual weapons on a tank but they still fulfil the same function as a solar engine type unit.
    Friend, I want total war 40k, but let's not act like CA has ever done something similar to 40k before.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 4,102
    edited February 16

Friend, I want total war 40k, but let's not act like CA has ever done something similar to 40k before.

Similar in what aspect? They've made a few sci fi games, if that's what you are talking about.

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

That's very true, I just dont think it's a large a step away from what they've already done as some other people think.
    Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

Rob18446 said:

That's very true, I just dont think it's a large a step away from what they've already done as some other people think.
    I understand your point friend, at the end of the day the only ones who know if they cand do it or not is CA, we can only especulate.

Sorry if I sound like a killjoy or something I'm just esceptical when it comes to this things so I don't get disappointed if they don't happen like expected, the 40k community has suffered enough mediocre videogames, but I have confidence in CA.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,172
    I'd like them to do Lord of the Rings as I feel it's the only thing that both fantasy fans and historical fans could truly unite around. It's the most beloved fictional setting of all time because of the amount of work Tolkien put into it to make into a believable setting. It's grounded in reality for the most part, at least the Third Age is anyway, and for that reason it'd be a great way to return to a TW formula where strategy is more important then micro speed, characters are not demigods (unless we're talking one of the Nine or Sauron himself on the battlefield) and magic is less flashy and a far rarer thing.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

• NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 9,112
    For now I just want them to fully focus on Warhammer 3 and release as much DLCs as possible.

• TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 972

But it isn't. It wasn't too late for the guys developing Gollum and the new MMO, it isn't too late for CA. Simple.
    How? I searched a bit and found that Gollum has been announced since 2019, which means that the rights had been given 2 years ago and the game is projected for a 2022 release. Next tent-pole game is going to be released in 2023, I just don't see how there's enough time. Unless you believe that the license has already been acquired, but wouldn't we know about it? We knew about Warhammer at least since 2013 or 2012, that is 3 years before the announcement of WH1.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

• CrosswireCrosswire Registered Users Posts: 89
    After coming from WH, I fell like LOTR would be a downgrade in the sheer diversity of options. There just aren't enough races/factions in it compared to WH.

As for 40k, it might work, but I think the scale and structure of TW games are wrong for it. 40K is a galaxy spanning setting featuring untold billions of soldiers - the Imperial Guard has no clue just how many they have, and given the shear number of casualties they suffer daily, it is an impossible task anyway. TW 40K armies would feel weirdly small.

On top of that, given that TW seems to encourage doomstacks of elite units, you'll end up with no basic units that should make up most armies - no Gaurdsmen in Imperial Guard units, no basic boyz in ork units, etc.

And it will also feel awfully contrived to shove every single faction into a small region of space to fight it out. Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle, various chapters of Space Marines, orks, eldar, dark eldar, tau, the various chaos factions, necrons and tyranids all in one comparatively small region of space? It doesn't really work.

My vote would be for CA to not chase after any IPs and just work on their own setting - take what they have learned from WH and go wild, unrestrained by IP settings and lore.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,461
    neodeinos said:

For now I just want them to fully focus on Warhammer 3 and release as much DLCs as possible.

This.

Im not so sure CA want to take the gamble of moving onto Star wars, WH 40k or AOS. Those titles would require CA to rethink and reimagine the core of the TW series. The current way they handle highly detailed campaign maps would have to be scrapped in favor of smaller, less detailed maps and an extra layer just to see all the planets, dimensions and whatsnot you can visit in those games. Pretty sure you guys are imagining something spectacular, not a TW game set on a single planet\world in those universes.
    Just the resources\work\time to create all the planets\worlds makes it very unlikely in my opinion.

As it stands now, i'd say it's highly unlikely we get any of those franchises as a TW games.
    LOTR on the other hand fits the bill just fine. Its a singular planet\world where everything happens. It has several races and nations, good unit diversity etc etc.

I'm not saying no to another cool fantasy based Total War, i just personally think moving it into space will both take a heap more resources\work and change total war to.....no longer be total war?
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 1,089
    LOTR would be small in comparison of Warhammer, and It won't bring something new. In the other hand, W40K would a new thing, even for CA, but as CA has never done a WW2 total war game, I am afraid they won't want to make a 40K total war, I hope to be wrong.