Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is Warhammer 40k a real possiblity now?

marvidmarvid Registered Users Posts: 52
edited February 16 in Total War General Chat
With Game 3 being the big boom ending we all expected but not see coming, do you think a 40k game / evtl. trilogy is a real possiblity? What issues do you guys see? How would you make it? Maybe 30k would be even better suited to be a game than 40k?

For myself personally, i see the squad based system as the biggest issue on how to implement. Also, there is a problem that 40k could tend to end up being a very shooty heavy game. Terrain and Buildings also would be needed to be way more interactive like they were in Empire TW.

I could see very much upside in the Space battle though, comparable to the Navy Battles in Empire! That would be freaking awesome if they could make it good! Maybe even boarding battles and all of that stuff, like the landing battles you had in Shogun!

What do you guys think?
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,826
    Still have my doubts. But in 10 years or so? Maybe.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,189
    Definitely.

-CA and GW now have a strong working relationship
    -WHFB:TW was a massive success for both parties (40K is a lot bigger)
    -Ex GW employees work in CA so I imagine they will support the idea
    -CA recently recruited a 30/40k game designer
    -Any perceived difficulties are merely that - perceptions (think Cathay)
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,461
    Right now? No.

From what i know 40K is set in space right? So would have to conquer several planets etc?

How would you do the campaign map?
    How would you handle space battles (that games naval battles.)

Would you want a singular planet in 40k?
    If no and you want more planets, imagine 10 planets each having a map the size of 1\10th of the vortex map. Would that fly?

And would it still be Total War?

I can respect that people want it set to 40k\AoS\Star Wars. However i also think those people don't realise just how much effin work that would take. Nor even how they'd want it to be done.
  • 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 1,402
    It would be a no brainer for their shareholders - 40K is way more popular than WHFB and would sell even better. Low risk = more investment.

As has been said countless times, the problems that people perceive are ones easily sorted by professional game designers.
    Change is on the way...

Laindesh said:

Right now? No.

From what i know 40K is set in space right? So would have to conquer several planets etc?

If no and you want more planets, imagine 10 planets each having a map the size of 1\10th of the vortex map. Would that fly?

I can respect that people want it set to 40k\AoS\Star Wars. However i also think those people don't realise just how much effin work that would take. Nor even how they'd want it to be done.

A Gladius Prime Scenario - easy solution

If CA are feeling Brave they simply go space equates to sea and planets equate to land.

As long as it has the TW logo on - it's TW.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 4,839
    No. Not as a Total War game at least. The format doesn't fit. However, CA might try their hand in another genre of game (as they have done before) and make a 40k game that way.

Laindesh said:

Right now? No.

If CA are feeling Brave they simply go space equates to sea and planets equate to land.

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War?
    Single traditional TW campaign with all the 40k races? That could work, not sure how 40k fans would take that though.

"If CA are feeling Brave they simply go space equates to sea and planets equate to land."
    Pretty sure you don't realise the implications of this, nor the massive work and resources it'd take.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,044
    edited February 16
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 1,651
    Everything's impossible until somebody does it. Warhammer 40k total war trilogy are easy money for CA and GW.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA will make Warhammer 40k total war and use assets from this game to create World War 2 total war game. :D
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
    Labria said:

Everything's impossible until somebody does it. Warhammer 40k total war trilogy are easy money for CA and GW.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA will make Warhammer 40k total war and use assets from this game to create World War 2 total war game. :D

Nah its not impossible, it only depends on time and resources spent. Aswell as general available hardware people got.
    They can do it a number of way, Davedave suggested 2.

If CA thinks its a good idea, that it will sell and is willing to take the risk we'll see it :)
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 4,102
    Laindesh said:

Pretty sure you don't realise the implications of this, nor the massive work and resources it'd take.

Tindalos Interactive made this:

Petroglyph Games made this:

But for some reason CA cannot make anything.

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,464
    Laindesh said:

Laindesh said:

Right now? No.

Single traditional TW campaign with all the 40k races? That could work, not sure how 40k fans would take that though.

"If CA are feeling Brave they simply go space equates to sea and planets equate to land."
    you never ever have heard of "SW:Empire at War" do you?

They quite easily did the whole Star Wars galaxy, pretty much as described:
    space battles to get into the orbit of an planet and then a land battle to conquer it.
    That game is from 2006.

Now for TW 40K, I think it is pretty feasible with only a small numbers of ears actually need to be worked on.
    Mind you that working on them, does mean CA could use that work for other Titles, like a TW WW1 or TW TW, for example.

But what are those areas?
    Tank armor system. Right now we only have one steam tank but for a TW 40, I would like to have an more advance armor systems for vehicles and such which simulates your "World of Tanks" stuff, aka angle, range, and so on.

Plans funny enough could be simply call in action that fly a certain route and then disappear again.

For the infantry I don't really see many issues. Most infantry in 40k fights with 360° firing arc and in skirmish mode, aka like many units already in this trilogy.

The biggest challenges would probably cover and buildings. CA has some experience with those mind you.

My personal dream would be that you would have space battles and land campaign, aka that a planet doesn't have a single province, which is what EaW did, but have a number or provinces per Planet and the campaign map being an Sector of the Imperium of Man, which then with other parts of the 40K trilogy grown.

But speaking of the Imperium: it is probably design wise a bigger challenge, then WH, since it contains alot of Codizes.
    CA would either have to strictly divide them, which could lead to awkward scenes, not divided them and creating an monster faction which has simply everything one can ask for (mass and quality, range and melee and so on) or they have numerous different mechanics in the Imperium to regulate you access to Units.
    For example: you play as SM LL, you get easy access to SM units and harder acces to IG or SoB and so on units, while a Gaurd LL would have easy access to gaurd units and struggle to get SM or SoB and so on.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    Laindesh said:

Laindesh said:

Right now? No.

I remember hearing similar words when I suggested Cathay.

‘Have you any idea how much work it would take to create a totally new faction?’

Let’s be clear - no one knows how much work it will take unless you work for CA.
    SerPus said:

Laindesh said:

Tindalos Interactive made this:

Petroglyph Games made this:

But for some reason CA cannot make anything.

And slap a battle map on each planet? ( i really doubt each map will have a self contained campaign map)
    That would work, didnt think of that.
  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Registered Users Posts: 1,232
    Laindesh said:

Right now? No.

No, it's set in the future in a wide galaxis and is ground and aerial combat in 40k TT. Just because the lore has space battles doesn't mean the TT has, Battlefleet Gothic was the setting they used for space combat.

You just do a planetary invasion scenario like every other game did (except the Soulstorm add on for DoW which simulated several planets but they where just flat round islands in a sea of space with transport routes).
    A singular planet is totally enough, there could be created a new one or just take one from the lore. How interessting the campaign map is depends on the size and creativity of the designers there is no need for several planets.

Yes it would still be Total War, you know people said Warhammer won't fit Total War because it has magic, monsters and flying units so its absolutly impossible and won't be a Total War... you guessed it they where proven wrong.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 4,102
    Laindesh said:

And slap a battle map on each planet?

A few maps, ideally. Multi-stage sieges is something that would be nice to have even without TWW40k.
    The term ‘not a TW game’ is personal. To some a TW game is historical and fantasy doesn’t match that, others would say any game past the Victorian era isn’t. The term is just too subjective and not really useful.
    SerPus said:

Laindesh said:

And slap a battle map on each planet?

A few maps, ideally. Multi-stage sieges is something that would be nice to have even without TWW40k.
    Well yea, i can see this happening.

The term ‘not a TW game’ is personal. To some a TW game is historical and fantasy doesn’t match that, others would say any game past the Victorian era isn’t. The term is just too subjective and not really useful.

Absolutely correct.
    edited February 16

for me personal, TW means a combination of turn base campaign and realtime strategy battles.

With the importance of not "just" to win any battle but "how" to win.
    What I love about TW is that it matters if I win a battle good or bad.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,710
    Not really, not if you want to have the game follow the 40K setting or want the TW mechanics we know and love/put up with. Not really seem fitting with multi-linked games like the WHF series has, that has the advantage of being set on a single world but in 40K a single world would be the smallest it makes sense to cover, more worlds then ends up with more issues to cover in game.

There's also issues with DLC for such a game with factions being more pre-set over such large distances and being faction set.
    Commisar said:

Not really, not if you want to have the game follow the 40K setting or want the TW mechanics we know and love/put up with. Not really seem fitting with multi-linked games like the WHF series has, that has the advantage of being set on a single world but in 40K a single world would be the smallest it makes sense to cover, more worlds then ends up with more issues to cover in game.

There's also issues with DLC for such a game with factions being more pre-set over such large distances and being faction set.

'TW we know and love', again, this is a subjective view of what people like in a TW game.

They could easily do a Gladius Prime game but I do believe a talented team of devs could make it planet spanning. We have no idea what the devs are capable of and how enjoyable it would be.

'TW we know and love', again, this is a subjective view of what people like in a TW game.

They could easily do a Gladius Prime game but I do believe a talented team of devs could make it planet spanning. We have no idea what the devs are capable of and how enjoyable it would be.

Yeah they could and it wouldn't be any more TW than Halo Wars was. That's my point. Yes CA is capable of making good games, they don't have to be in the TW line and they have expressed an interest in branching out from TW.
    Commisar said:

Yeah they could and it wouldn't be any more TW than Halo Wars was. That's my point. Yes CA is capable of making good games, they don't have to be in the TW line and they have expressed an interest in branching out from TW.
    why exactly is a TW with more then one planet not TW anymore again?

I mean if anything adding new planets would be easier, rather then harder.
    Commisar said:

As long as it’s a mixture of real time strategy battles with a turn based strategy map then it is Total War. We can only offer subjective rather than objective opinion here and I say it will be a TW game and I will treat it just the same. Consider resources, move armies, create settlements, research tech, have battles etc.

Whether 40K is a TW game or ‘feels’ like one is a subjective argument, so, cannot be dressed up as an objective fact.
    SiWI said:

It's not the planets as such but changing of the campaign and battles so much they no longer resemble what we see as TW.

As long as it’s a mixture of real time strategy battles with a turn based strategy map then it is Total War. We can only offer subjective rather than objective opinion here and I say it will be a TW game and I will treat it just the same. Consider resources, move armies, create settlements, research tech, have battles etc.

Whether 40K is a TW game or ‘feels’ like one is a subjective argument, so, cannot be dressed up as an objective fact.

By that then they can be given the DoW rights and call it TW:DoW. Remaster the first games and done.
  • Maxim1lianMaxim1lian Registered Users Posts: 64
    If they still do an RTS strategy for WH40k, then I hope they will also diversify the line of units of the same Space Marines. I would like to see the "Firstborn", and not just some Primaris, who are now shoved everywhere.

The Firstborn had a lot more visual variety, including weapons, which I liked unlike the Primaris. I also hope that there will be normal formations of units in the form of 9 fighters and a sergeant from the same Space Marines, and not as it was in many WH40k games, where everything is very conditional.

In general, I could write a lot about the shortcomings of many WH40k games, and what I would like to see in an ideal WH40k RTS strategy. But I don't want to yet.

And if you remember well, the community asked for a lot and wrote about how they wanted to see DoW 3, but Relic did not listen to them and made "their" game. Which in the end, rightly, failed. You need to work with the community and listen to it.
    Commisar said:

SiWI said:

It's not the planets as such but changing of the campaign and battles so much they no longer resemble what we see as TW.

By that then they can be given the DoW rights and call it TW:DoW. Remaster the first games and done.
    The campaign doesn't change. You look after settlements, research tech, build units/buildings, use faction specific mechanics.

The battles do not have to represent reality in terms of range. Not forgetting AoS and 40K live on the same TT with equally sized maps and ranges.

You're merely picturing in your mind what you think it will look like, however, this is merely your imagination and not the reality of what would happen.

The campaign doesn't change. You look after settlements, research tech, build units/buildings, use faction specific mechanics.

The battles do not have to represent reality in terms of range. Not forgetting AoS and 40K live on the same TT with equally sized maps and ranges.

You're merely picturing in your mind what you think it will look like, however, this is merely your imagination and not the reality of what would happen.

Campaign does change quite a bit, a lot of these mechanics aren't going to be in the game or would be the faction specific mechanics.

I'm not talking about the range. With how many 40K armies behave it's DoW battles and not TW.

No more than you are.
    Commisar said:

Campaign does change quite a bit, a lot of these mechanics aren't going to be in the game or would be the faction specific mechanics.

I'm not talking about the range. With how many 40K armies behave it's DoW battles and not TW.

No more than you are.
    The campaign changes? Too difficult to say how much, but of course, campaigns should always change game to game.

I'm not talking about DoW, I'm talking about 40K units existing within TW mechanics and play style. If CA make it that way those units can't 'argue' and say.. 'nah we are rebelling and reverting back to DoW'.

I'm just basing it on facts, as in CA can merely apply the constraints of a TW game onto the various units. You appear to be arguing - it won't 'feel' like TW. Which is highly subjective.