Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I'm looking for help about buying a gaming pc.

Frenork03Frenork03 Registered Users Posts: 2
I have a budget of about 500 euro. I was looking online and have found some computers for between 500 and 600 euro.

https://premiumbuilds.com/pc-builds/best-gaming-pc-under-700/

and

https://www.hardwaredealz.com/bester-gaming-pc-fuer-unter-500-euro-gamer-pc-bis-500-euro

are the links. I would be mainly using the pc for games in the Total War sagas, mainly Rome 2, hopefully manor lords and based off the descriptions of the other pc's maybe more fast paced games. I would also use it for schoolwork and that. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips and what I should go for, or if anyone could point me toward any other pc's. Right now I am just using a Lenovo laptop for Rome 2 and my schoolwork and am wanting to upgrade so that I can play online and play more games.

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,278
    So the $700 one doesn't look too bad performance wise, but it's a really dumb set of parts.

The R5 3600 and B550M are both essentially the same price range as their predecessors, with substantial performance advantages. Not getting a 4.0 capable system and having a 20% slower processor for what may be the exact same price, would be a mistake. Now getting a new 5600X, the current version of this processor, bumps you up above 300 euros and is totally not in your range, but you definitely don't want to get one that old.

The SSD is also a stupendously dumb pick. You can almost buy a NVME gen 4(to go with that B550M) of the same size for that price, a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 version is about 25% more money for like 8 times the performance of that crappy little SATAIII drive. You can most assuredly beat it with a high quality 3.0 NVME.

The 500 euro one is using a pretty low end GPU. That hobo rx 580 is fine for what you listed, it will do up to Three Kingdoms at 1080p medium to high settings, not really sufficient for ultra, but that's fine. Will it run the next Total War well? No clue. Being a quad core is pretty short end of the stick for this series too, that's pretty good single thread performance, especially at that price, but this just isn't a build with a long lifespan.

Honestly, I'd say go for the $700 one with my substitutions. You might have a problem finding a decently priced GPU though, I wasn't seeing much across the pond. It may end up being cheaper to order the damn thing here in the US and pay for international shipping.
  • Frenork03Frenork03 Registered Users Posts: 2
    psychoak said:

So the $700 one doesn't look too bad performance wise, but it's a really dumb set of parts.

The R5 3600 and B550M are both essentially the same price range as their predecessors, with substantial performance advantages. Not getting a 4.0 capable system and having a 20% slower processor for what may be the exact same price, would be a mistake. Now getting a new 5600X, the current version of this processor, bumps you up above 300 euros and is totally not in your range, but you definitely don't want to get one that old.

The SSD is also a stupendously dumb pick. You can almost buy a NVME gen 4(to go with that B550M) of the same size for that price, a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 version is about 25% more money for like 8 times the performance of that crappy little SATAIII drive. You can most assuredly beat it with a high quality 3.0 NVME.

The 500 euro one is using a pretty low end GPU. That hobo rx 580 is fine for what you listed, it will do up to Three Kingdoms at 1080p medium to high settings, not really sufficient for ultra, but that's fine. Will it run the next Total War well? No clue. Being a quad core is pretty short end of the stick for this series too, that's pretty good single thread performance, especially at that price, but this just isn't a build with a long lifespan.

Honestly, I'd say go for the $700 one with my substitutions. You might have a problem finding a decently priced GPU though, I wasn't seeing much across the pond. It may end up being cheaper to order the damn thing here in the US and pay for international shipping.

Thank you for the tips, I'm 15 with a budget of around what you described.

Realistically I don't really know what I was reading in those first two paragraphs but like I can find ways to understand. I hit the order button on the 700 dollar pc and when it brought me to amazon it said it could find some of the parts but I can try to substitute them with the ones you said.

I don't know if this question makes sense and I know its completely off topic but can a PC run windows 10 (needed for manor lords) and run windows 8 at the same time?(needed for Rome 2).

I have loads of questions about everything and like I'm not really learning much reading things on google and that but sure.

Thanks for taking your time to reply sir/ma'am.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,278
    You don't need Windows 8 for Rome II.

For some VERY old games, Windows 10 doesn't cut the mustard, in this case I use a virtual machine to run them, but we're mostly talking stuff from the 80's and early 90's. If you actually run into a game that doesn't work, and Rome II wont fit the bill here, then you can generally find a work around with a "windows 10 game name" google search. They're generally as simple as setting a compatibility mode and or disabling full screen optimizations.

You can dual boot to run two operating systems, but not at the same time. At least not as a practical means of gaming. It would be a hassle, I don't recommend taking this path unless it's an absolute necessity, and your budget is constrained enough that you really shouldn't waste the drive space on setting up two OS partitions, real or virtual either one.

For someone like me with 3.5TB in NVME drives and a mirrored 8TB storage drive, space considerations are irrelevant. I can set up a virtual machine for every generation of Windows going back to the DOS days without feeling the space constraints. I still wouldn't dual boot though, I did it 20 years back when VM's weren't an option and I had to run Win2k for work but couldn't get a good working set of drivers to play nice with it for gaming. One experience was enough, it's just damned irritating.