Adorbs

Official Announcement - Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyPosts: 1,120Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!
edited March 2012 in The Archive
Hi all,

We’re delighted to announce a huge new standalone expansion for Total War: Shogun 2. Fall of the Samurai is a massive new piece of content and will be hitting shores March 2012.

Fall of the Samurai brings to life the conflict between the Imperial throne and the last Shogunate in 19th century Japan. It’s set 400 years after the events of the original game, featuring a dramatic clash of traditional Samurai culture with the explosive power of modern weaponry.

This is a huge title for us in itself, and we’ve been putting a lot of time into the goal of making this the best expansion ever for a Total War title.

Check out the Total War blog for the full low-down on the expansion’s contents, and we’ll be bringing you more in-depth coverage as we edge closer to release.

Edit: Also, check out the official site here for even more info. Although you guys beat me to that one!!

Banzai!
-The Creative Assembly
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• BurnyBurny Senior Member Posts: 192Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Whut?
    U surprised me there man...
    So by standalone u mean that it's gonna be at full price? Do u need Shogun 2 to play?
    (edit u don't need shogun 2 to play).
    http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/fall-of-the-samurai
    Proud member of Sakua Gaming
  • luckylimburgerluckylimburger Senior Member Posts: 1,856Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Thanks Craig, I'd always hoped that you would once visit that part of the Japanese history.

@Burny I think he means standalone just like Napoleon
    There will be whole new land and sea unit interactions
    :D

Looks like you're paving the way for a Victoria:Total War with Railways and Ironclads
  • BurnyBurny Senior Member Posts: 192Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    The last Samurai ftw.
    foreign veteran agent, A.K.A. Tom Cruise?

Haha, this looks amazing!
    - Firstperson controlled artillery, railways...!!!:)
    Proud member of Sakua Gaming
  • RTKAbuRTKAbu Senior Member Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    First time i am totaly not interested, its like STW2 with a new campaign aka The rise of The Samurai and with a patch in it which STW2 should have deserved in the first place. Besides, i see you still hold on to the retainer system for multiplayer, gl balancing it again, its still worse in stw2, and now you expect to balance it correct in the standalone expansion. I will jugde after i see it, as onfortunately i still hope you get some sense back once, but i highly doubt it will get to the level of other RTS games i play.
  • CA PeteCA Pete Creative Assembly Posts: 285CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited November 2011
    Hell, works for me!
    - Advisor, gentleman, part-time rogue, and at your service.

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed on this forum are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Forum Terms & Conditions

@peter5tewart
  • Roger MellieRoger Mellie Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Yeah......... colour me slightly uninterested in more guns.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,175
    edited November 2011
    YES!!! more modern ships party0019-1.gif
  • admiral_trompadmiral_tromp Senior Member Posts: 554Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    leave my samurai alone, using weapons that kill without honour. I am not looking forward to this. :(
    the die is cast
    Gaius Julius Caesar
    prepare to fight - for, evidently you have found peace intolerable
    Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus Major
    your councils be long, your doings be slow, consider the end
    Marcus Junius Brutus Caepio
    moreover, I advise that Carthage should be destroyed
    Cato the Elder
    Proud to be part of Arcani
  • PrussianPrussian Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Cool, looks very promising so far. Controlling a gatling gun sounds like a lot of fun :).
    Are there any news about the patch by the way?
  • PATRIOT45PATRIOT45 Senior Member SwitzerlandPosts: 686Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    That sounds awesome!! I <3 CA ;)
    Watch out: Arena is more addictive than cocaine! :p
  • FlaminiusFlaminius Senior Member Posts: 147Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Well, at least now we know what the big fuss was all about.

Also noticed the new wallpaper displayed on the homepage.

It may be good for those who are into that specific age and setting.

So I'm guessing we won't be getting a new TW any sooner than 2013 then... :(
    Proud owner of

-- Rome: Total War Gold Edition
    -- Medieval II: Total War & Kingdoms
    -- Total War: SHOGUN 2 (all DLC included)

Not so proud of

-- Rome Expansions
    -- Empire & Napoleon: Total War GOTY
  • Billy RuffianBilly Ruffian Moderator UKPosts: 25,530Registered Users, Moderators
    edited November 2011
    That's CA's normal pattern - game one year, expansion the next. This expansion may open the way for further late-period games - ACW, the Great Game, the race to expand in Africa etc.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • Crazy SteveCrazy Steve Senior Member Posts: 1,393Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Those pictures look REALLY promising, can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

PS: Will there be an early demo for it to still our thirst for more TW epicness?
    [PORTABLE-ID]crazysteve[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • ande6190ande6190 Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    That sounds cool although I wasn't quite expecting it. But as Creative assembley says: They make the games they wanna make. I thought they were gonna announce a totally new Total war game.
    This is more like a Napoleon game to Shogun.. but with the addition of railways, we will perhaps get Victorian Total War next time. I am definitely gonna play this one.
    :)
  • myselfnapoleonmyselfnapoleon Senior Member Posts: 406Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    This is just awesome! How come you guys keep making so great games? It's just awazing how you keep refreshing the concept and adding new interesting stuff! Can't wait to play a campaign against my brother!
  • extremechimpingextremechimping Member Posts: 54Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Will you be able to play as Britain on this? or will they be a faction that is external to the map like the trading posts in the vanilla games?
  • BamboodelBamboodel Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    I would have preferred the announcement of the game actually being fixed but I guess Shogun will continue to lose player until this expansion comes out next year. Meh.
    Pentium II Klamath OC @ 266MHz ; Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 4MB PCI ; 128MB SDRAM
  • C.I.FC.I.F Member Posts: 73Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    We haven't stopped supporting Shogun 2.
    There will be a patch for Shogun 2 at the same time as this expansion's release.
    There are other things in the pipeline directly related to Shogun 2.
    "They couldn't hit an Elephant at this dist..." Last words of General John Sedgewick, Union General, 1864.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • JokerJoker Senior Member Posts: 644Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Out of curiousity, will feature's from Rise of the Samurai be present in Fall of the Samurai ? With this of course I mean, gameplay features ?
    My top five of next Total War installments:
    1) TW: Rome II
    2) TW: China
    3) TW: Lord of the Rings
    4) TW: Victorian
    5) TW: Star Wars
    [PORTABLE-ID]joker[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • HeirofAlexanderHeirofAlexander Senior Member Posts: 1,088Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Looks awesome, and it is logical with a Fall of the Samurai after Rise of the Samurai, love the picture of the man in white uniform and the samurai.. ;)
  • RemairRemair Member Posts: 32Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Will the expansion support co-op campaign play? I saw mention of "multiplayer 2.0" but that only featured the avatar map.

Also you mentioned a patch will be coming out at the same time as the expansion... does that mean we will have to wait for yet another expansion to see if you've fixed the co-op? I personally don't see the point in tying the patch and the expansion together, your own poll showed people overwhelmingly want more frequent but smaller patches... if you fix something then give us the patch straight away.
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,625Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Awesome, can't wait CA!

*goes off to read*

EDIT: Just seen the trailer, really loved the change in style of narration as things changed from samurai to modern era. Awesome, I really was like "where is the gun fire?" and suddenly the change. I just laughed out loud. Can't wait guys!

Also, who was asking for costal bombardments and vice versa in Empire? Well, here it is! :D
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity
  • Billy RuffianBilly Ruffian Moderator UKPosts: 25,530Registered Users, Moderators
    edited November 2011
    I think CIF mentioned other things in the pipeline directly related to Shogun2. I'm hoping that one of those may be a patch before the expansion.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • LYNCHYLYNCHY Senior Member Posts: 243Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Ive said it before and ill say it again, MAKE ROME 2!!!!!!
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) WORLD DOMINATION
  • Colonel MallardColonel Mallard Senior Member Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Gatling Guns eh? Just bring in the bulletproof samurai...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it...

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."

"All I know is that my gut says maybe" - President Average of the Neutral Planet

Total War:Barbarian Invasion 2:The Invadening
  • alQamaralQamar Banned Posts: 1,904Banned Users
    edited November 2011
    dear i am disappointed... in my opinion this game HAS to be unbalanced or at least unbalanced units to deliver historically correct results :)

however... it is nice that you spent efforts in completing the scenery of japan. however i would like to promise a fail for multiplayer - except for the campaign modes. remember my words :)

i am awaiting Rome 2 for March 2013 finally :) possible release date during the ides of march :) hehe
  • Colonel MallardColonel Mallard Senior Member Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    The retainers are a seperate set, for the new expansion, not for the main game...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it...

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."

"All I know is that my gut says maybe" - President Average of the Neutral Planet

Total War:Barbarian Invasion 2:The Invadening
  • FhiraldFhirald Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    I'm so excited for this.
  • JMaszkJMaszk Senior Member Posts: 1,290Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Whoa!! This is definitely a awesome clash of eras...can't wait;)

Railway networks, ironclad warships, machine guns (gatling), off-shore artillery bombardment; something tells me this tech is leading up to WW1 as the next major Total War title.

Gotta love the Foreign Veteran agent...nudge, nudge, wink, wink;)

Wasn't Prussia also an integral part of getting Imperial Japan's military up to modern standards? Why are they not a faction in this game?
    I AM TOTAL WAR!!

Thunder & Death are but a mere understatement...a footnote really...

War brings us closer...the clash of swords...the serrinade of the musket...and the sweet aroma of napalm in the morning.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ***...and I'm all out of bubble gum";)

"Chuck Norris's monitor has no glare...nothing glares at Chuck Norris and lives."

Steam ID: JonFett \ |Takeda| Tada Mitsuyori

• S2totalwarfanS2totalwarfan Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    WOW!!! I almost got a heart attack lol
    i went on the side to see if anyone posted any comments on the Q&A thread and i see this!!!!
    so happy! this looks awesome great expansion which will bring me back to shogun 2
    always wanted a "last samurai" game xD
    is tom cruise in it?
    The Uesugi Clan is looking for loyal recruits that are willing to fight for the clan in multiplayer battles, to strive for dominance and be the most powerful clan of japan. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/uesugi_clan
This discussion has been closed.