Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War game engine development question(s)

DelphiusDelphius Registered Users Posts: 2
edited February 24 in Total War General Chat
With TW Empires and Shogun, I first saw my much hoped for TW game featuring realistic naval and cavalry combat. With naval combat, the ability to command a fleet of individual ships, and with cavalry the realistic ability to fight mounted or dismounted, e.g. if their stead is slain in battle and rider uninjured or vice-versa (or if rider wishes to dismount to fight).

I've two related questions, please:

Which other TW series games offer this more advanced naval and cavalry feature?

Will CA or TW related company ever make the much hoped for M3TW, medieval total war, which offers advanced naval and cavalry performance?

Thanks

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,699
    Naval combat has continued in the relevant games, so Napoleon, Rome 2 and Attila although it's rather bad in the last two - no need for tactics just ram at full speed and gg.

Think the option to dismount cavalry during the battle has continued for all the historical games.

M3 is quite possible, been a lot of mechanics added lately that would fit the period well. However I don't hold hope for naval combat as it runs in to the issue of R2 and Attila where it will be rather boring.
  • DelphiusDelphius Registered Users Posts: 2
    ... I see your point, but there's also the component of choosing to fight the battle strategically with AI, and likewise the dynamic of an evolving technology and greater tactics, e.g. with an M3
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,699
    The Tech doesn't really evolve enough to change how naval battles ultimately work during the time period. It just risks becoming another slog and bloody mess for attackers.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,645
    Coastal Battles atleast.

It's really amusing seeing soldiers disembarking from their ships.