Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ultra Unit Scale in TW:WH3

Subr1185Subr1185 Registered Users Posts: 39
I know it's a long shot, but I hope they decide to balance the multiplayer around the Ultra unit scales for TW:WH3.
I prefer to play on Ultra unit size in campaign - it feels more epic, but multiplayer is balanced for large unit scales,
so I have to keep switching. Or just remove the unit scale option altogether - boosting performance should have
absolutely no effect on game balanced.

Comments

• HermodrHermodr Registered Users Posts: 139
    I wouldn't hope so much, I don't see CA changing the balancing at game 3 after so much work already put at balancing for large during two entire games...
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    I do wish stats were scaled with unit sizing altogether. So balance didn't wildly change based on which unit-size you were playing on. Unit size SHOULD be primarily a performance-based decision, not a balance one.

That being said, IF CA is going to make the suboptimal decision of balancing the game around a single unit size....it makes sense that Large is the unit size of choice, over Ultra. Not everyone has a rig that can run Ultra, and CA has to account for that when determining minimum specifications and other performance-based decisions. Like just because you and I and many others CAN run Ultra doesn't mean the game should be balanced on the most elite graphics-setting.
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,598
    Valkaar said:

I do wish stats were scaled with unit sizing altogether. So balance didn't wildly change based on which unit-size you were playing on. Unit size SHOULD be primarily a performance-based decision, not a balance one.

That being said, IF CA is going to make the suboptimal decision of balancing the game around a single unit size....it makes sense that Large is the unit size of choice, over Ultra. Not everyone has a rig that can run Ultra, and CA has to account for that when determining minimum specifications and other performance-based decisions. Like just because you and I and many others CAN run Ultra doesn't mean the game should be balanced on the most elite graphics-setting.

Also, I don't think you can balance across different unit sizes. Because number of models changing means that for example an SE is more likely to get stuck in a unit of spearmen on ultra then on large unit size. You would have to play around with mass to try to counterbalance this. Number of models also means that units take up more space physically during battle. This means that the same battlefield can be tactically different on ultra then on large. etc
    Also, you have to be careful about performance. I liked playing Grimhammer mod. The mod is balanced on ultra unit size so I played using that. Adding to this also that Grimhammer increases number of models on many units compared to vanilla, a 40vs40 battle was a slide show and my rig is probably still pretty good compared to the average rig (gtx 1080, i7 8700, 16 gb ram, SSD)
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 3,865
    Why settle for Ultra? I hope they add extreme like in 3K, 240 infantry and 60 cavalry.

Why settle for Ultra? I hope they add extreme like in 3K, 240 infantry and 60 cavalry.

Isn't cav already 60?
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 944

Isn't cav already 60?
    Base is 30 over there
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 1,682

Also, you have to be careful about performance. I liked playing Grimhammer mod. The mod is balanced on ultra unit size so I played using that. Adding to this also that Grimhammer increases number of models on many units compared to vanilla, a 40vs40 battle was a slide show and my rig is probably still pretty good compared to the average rig (gtx 1080, i7 8700, 16 gb ram, SSD)

Rig?
    My laptop has that hardware.
    Ofc my laptop is high-end and only a year old.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
    Yannir said:

Rig?
    My laptop has that hardware.
    Ofc my laptop is high-end and only a year old.
    "Rig" is just slang for a PC in this context.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 3,865

Isn't cav already 60?
    The ratio is different in 3K, it's 1 to 4. But total troop numbers are a lot bigger, which is cool.