Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[Poll] - If you had to remove one faction from the game, who would it be?

Comments

• TexacoV2TexacoV2 Registered Users Posts: 531
    Amonkhet said:

TexacoV2 said:

I have a vendetta against coast after years of being op.

I hope you feel the same about HE then.
    HE was never even able to compare to Coast in Multiplayer. Even after the biggest nerf any faction has recieved in the history of the game and they are still **** S tier.
  • DwarfMasterRaceDwarfMasterRace Registered Users Posts: 2,353
    While I was tempted to troll Veresh and vote High Elves, I picked Beastmen instead. Not because I dislike them, but because they are such a non-factor in every campaign I play that I don't think I'd even notice.

Their need of a rework is pretty dire I must say.
    Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 975

I wonder if the HE hate is because of how the faction is designed or because of the people who play them.

I think this is just a forum phenomenon. Echo chamber, and all that.
  • X037X037 Registered Users Posts: 41
    High Elves. They are a dying race anyway. And since CA got that dying part wrong entirely, may as well fix that by removal.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,724
    edited March 3
    Yannir said:

I wonder if the HE hate is because of how the faction is designed or because of the people who play them.

No, because elf-hate (and I mean elves overall, not just the Warhammer ones) isn't just something done on this forum, that's something going way beyond.

• HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,014
    obippo said:

Lizardmen 1 votes

Muhaha

Why you google translate my signaturre?
  • manpersalmanpersal Registered Users Posts: 1,759

Yannir said:

No, because elf-hate (and I mean elves overall, not just the Warhammer ones) isn't just something done on this forum, that's something going way beyond.
    Yes, but elf-hate is probably the same as elf-fandom, a relatively small group of individuals, which is spurred by the behaviour of the elf-fans. If you remove the elf-fans from the equation, the elf-hate would be laughable.
  • csm001csm001 Registered Users Posts: 43
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

You mean Race?

I wouldn’t remove any race. Why should I? I love them all.

CA are going to use this poll as evidence to take a race out of the game I'm afraid, if you can't think of anyone just vote High Elves.
    That’s actually exactly what I did. 😂
    Same here

I suggest changing the post to 'IF YOU HAD TO REMOVE ONE FACTION FROM THE GAME, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY HIGH ELVES?'
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian U.S.S.RRegistered Users Posts: 3,437

Both for me.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,760
    manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Yes, but elf-hate is probably the same as elf-fandom, a relatively small group of individuals, which is spurred by the behaviour of the elf-fans. If you remove the elf-fans from the equation, the elf-hate would be laughable.
    Without hardcore Elf fans always trying to roleplay as their beloved superior Knife-Ears, there would be no reason to hate Elves.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,760

ArneSo said:

Draxynnic said:

Amonkhet said:

Draxynnic said:

A bit of a coinflip between Norsca (on the basis that it could be absorbed into other Chaos factions) and Vampire Coast. Went with Vampire Coast on the assumption that the removal also meant the removal of assets, rather than the assets being able to be redistributed into other races. Also because, let's face it, they are supposed to be pretty minor players, and having four of them across the place, each with the potential to explode (albeit Cylostra less than the others) can result in some pretty distorted campaign maps.

ArneSo said:

This forum never disappoints! 😂

High Elf fans right now

Honestly? I expected it as soon as I saw the thread title. Just goes to show how much of the forum is mired in spite at the moment.
    I mean, if thats the reasoning, High Elves should be removed before them.
    Okay, let's remove the oh-so-insignificant High Elves and all their accomplishments from the Warhammer world and see what hap...

Err: Empire not found
    Err: Dwarfs not found
    Err: Lizardmen not found
    Err: Skaven not found
    Err: Wood Elves not found
    Err: Dark Elves not found
    Err: Bretonnia not found
    Err: Vampire Counts not found
    Err: Tomb Kings not found
    Err: Vampire Coast not found
    Err: Stack overflow in Demons of Chaos
    They simply troll and envy the success of the High Elves campaign. Here is a real list of factions with very low popularity.

You forgot the first spot!

Literally scientific proof that HE are #1 most hated faction in the game. FACTS and LOGIC.

Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
    edited March 3
    manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Don't be so sure. The very way elves are conceptualised ever since Tolkien gave them his personal spin as "humans but better" already comes off as repulsive because few people like being patronized or condescended upon which is something elves very easily lend themselves to, especially when you have incompetent writers at the helm

Anyone know those Eragon books that were popular during the early Oughts? Those probably include the absolute worst incarnation of elves ever. Eragon's elves are Superman levels beyond the capabilities of normal humans which they like to rub in everyone's faces of course. They're also all vegan atheists, and guess what, they rub that in everyone's faces too. They're also fair-weather friends as they abandon the war effort against the bad guy when one elf has an oopsie (and oopsie she was ready to risk BTW) and go sulking in their magically warded forest. Said sulking consist of having nude love parties and radically warping and modifying their bodies with magic (Slaanesh approves!), so there's an air of decadence and degeneration that hangs over them (but don't expect the author to point that out). At one point some poor human woodsmen cut some trees near the magical elf forest and the elf queen reacts by murdering everyone in the village they come from to "teach them a lesson".

Really, even if those elves had no rabid fans, it would make me hate elves with a raging passion.

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Don't be so sure. The very way elves are conceptualised ever since Tolkien gave them his personal spin as "humans but better" already comes off as repulsive because few people like being patronized or condescended upon which is something elves very easily lend themselves to, especially when you have incompetent writers at the helm

Anyone know those Eragon books that were popular during the early Oughts? Those probably include the absolute worst incarnation of elves ever. Eragon's elves are Superman levels beyond the capabilities of normal humans which they like to rub in everyone's faces of course. They're also all vegan atheists, and guess what, they rub that in everyone's faces too. They're also fair-weather friends as they abandon the war effort against the bad guy when one elf has an oopsie (and oopsie she was ready to risk BTW) and go sulking in their magically warded forest. Said sulking consist of having nude love parties and radically warping and modifying their bodies with magic (Slaanesh approves!), so there's an air of decadence and degeneration that hangs over them (but don't expect the author to point that out). At one point some poor human woodsmen cut some trees near the magical elf forest and the elf queen reacts by murdering everyone in the village they come from to "teach them a lesson".

Really, even if those elves had no rabid fans, it would make me hate elves with a raging passion.
    Those are elves in a book by an author. I can cite you examples of hateful elves on other settings too, like the Witcher books, but I don't see how it should make me hate elves on every iteration. Sure, they have things in common but they'e different enough depending in the setting and usually have redeeming aspects. And I'm not really vey fond of elves myself, in fact I only like them in Warhammer because I find them a lot more grounded than in other settings.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 4,314
    edited March 3
    People dislike Elves in all settings cause they tend to attract the weirdly racist people (same as imperium of man players in 40k)
    TexacoV2 said:

Amonkhet said:

TexacoV2 said:

HE was never even able to compare to Coast in Multiplayer. Even after the biggest nerf any faction has recieved in the history of the game and they are still **** S tier.
    Is that why the current S tier is Skaven and Wood Elves?
  • Kapika96Kapika96 Registered Users Posts: 156
    Easy, warriors of chaos. They suck to play (all hordes do) and they're a pain in the arse to fight. I'm so glad CA added an option to turn off the chaos invasion, haven't played with it since then. Hopefully the daemons will be a lot more interesting and the chaos invasion will be fun again in game 3.
  • Nico_NINico_NI Registered Users Posts: 397
    Well, Skaven of course!
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 563
    Skaven, because they don't exist
  • Darthplagueis13Darthplagueis13 Registered Users Posts: 521
    Draxynnic said:

Okay, let's remove the oh-so-insignificant High Elves and all their accomplishments from the Warhammer world and see what hap...

Err: Empire not found
    Err: Dwarfs not found
    Err: Lizardmen not found
    Err: Skaven not found
    Err: Wood Elves not found
    Err: Dark Elves not found
    Err: Bretonnia not found
    Err: Vampire Counts not found
    Err: Tomb Kings not found
    Err: Vampire Coast not found
    Err: Stack overflow in Demons of Chaos

EDIT: I should note that my response is not a vote for removing anything from the game, just a consideration of what I'd remove if I absolutely had to. Vampire Coast could be most easily removed while retaining the integrity of the Warhammer world.

That leaves Beastmen, Greenskins, Norsca and Warriors of Chaos. I can live with that. It also effectively removes the lore of life from the game which is a plus.
    manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Those are elves in a book by an author. I can cite you examples of hateful elves on other settings too, like the Witcher books, but I don't see how it should make me hate elves on every iteration. Sure, they have things in common but they'e different enough depending in the setting and usually have redeeming aspects. And I'm not really vey fond of elves myself, in fact I only like them in Warhammer because I find them a lot more grounded than in other settings.
    As long as they hew Tolkien, so the "humans but better" design, they will be hateful by default. Especially when this sort of design attracts the sort of people who would like to think of themselves as "better" humans.

• BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 563

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

As long as they hew Tolkien, so the "humans but better" design, they will be hateful by default. Especially when this sort of design attracts the sort of people who would like to think of themselves as "better" humans.
    Do they really read Tolkien, in his story, the god, Eru, "prefer" humans over elves, gift human "death"
    edited March 3
    Blaced said:

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Do they really read Tolkien, in his story, the god, Eru, "prefer" humans over elves, gift human "death"
    Eru isn't mentioned once in LotR, at most vaguely alluded to by Gandalf and if you want the whole backstory for the elves you need to read the Silmarillion which shows some of their follies.

Overall Tolkien was more careful in how he designed elves, but the core of "humans but better" is what everyone latches onto anway, including crappy authors like Chris Paolini.

• veresh1989veresh1989 Russia, Saint-PetersburgRegistered Users Posts: 4,317

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

There are always the best and the worst. Even you, denying or blaming it, call it

Elves are the best, this is a fact and it is obvious to everyone.

edited March 3

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

There are always the best and the worst. Even you, denying or blaming it, call it

Exhibit A:

• ToxicFlamesToxicFlames Registered Users Posts: 300
    Nico_NI said:

Well, Skaven of course!

Jokes on you. you can't remove something that doesen't Exist

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

But can you consider that, for example, Warhammer elves really fit into that trope? Their only traits seem to be long-lived -so are dwarfs and lizardmen are inmortal-, beautiful -which seems debatable depending on the source- and better at magic, but their technology is backwards to compensate for it. Other traits which appear in their army book is that they're swifter and smarter but none of these traits appear when you read the lore, they seem quite similar to humans with stupidity being a very common trait among elves.

That elves attract some of the worst scum there is, is fandom problem.
  • TexacoV2TexacoV2 Registered Users Posts: 531
    Amonkhet said:

People dislike Elves in all settings cause they tend to attract the weirdly racist people (same as imperium of man players in 40k)

TexacoV2 said:

Amonkhet said:

TexacoV2 said:

Don't forget Coast and Greenskin, otherwise combined with your profile picture one might suspect you have some bias.

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Like your comments, which are usually the worst in any thread you show up.
    manpersal said:

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

But can you consider that, for example, Warhammer elves really fit into that trope? Their only traits seem to be long-lived -so are dwarfs and lizardmen are inmortal-, beautiful -which seems debatable depending on the source- and better at magic, but their technology is backwards to compensate for it. Other traits which appear in their army book is that they're swifter and smarter but none of these traits appear when you read the lore, they seem quite similar to humans with stupidity being a very common trait among elves.

Yeah, I had just a guy on the balance forum who honestly made the point that no human unit should ever reach up to any elf unit because "elves have thousands of years of experience".

• AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 4,314
    TexacoV2 said:

Amonkhet said:

TexacoV2 said:

Amonkhet said:

TexacoV2 said:

Don't forget Coast and Greenskin, otherwise combined with your profile picture one might suspect you have some bias.
    Coast and Tomb Kings dropped to A tier with the release of the previous dlc. Noone can outshoot either Skaven or Wood Elves.

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Yeah, I had just a guy on the balance forum who honestly made the point that no human unit should ever reach up to any elf unit because "elves have thousands of years of experience".
    There will always be people with little understanding of anything, there's a limit on how good someone can get at something -red skills should have a much bigger impact in low tier units and a marginal one on elites- and a bullet to the chest will kill goblins and elves alike.