Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

RTX 3070 low usage

darkalteracdarkalterac Registered Users Posts: 10
edited April 8 in Performance & Graphics
Build: v1.10.2

Detailed description: When i am in a battle my fps start around 90 and slowly go minus 60. But the CPU, GPU and the ram are always working around 50% or less no matter the settings. I have noticed that on the start of the battle it overs around 60% and it slowly goes down.
This doesn't happen when i am on the map(like in mortal empires) and the usage easily goes up to 90%.
(i have seen this issue only in this game)

Reproduction steps:
-use the Benchmark
-battle

Solution already attempted:
-changing power usage profile
-changing refresh rate of the display
-disabling g-sync
-clean reset of drivers
-clean reset of the pc
-changing ram
-changing direct x11 into direct x 12
-changing setting low/mid/high
-changing drive location
-locking frame rate on 60

Post edited by darkalterac on
Tagged:

Comments

• MaziskyMazisky Registered Users Posts: 177
    If you want your GPU to be fully utilized ramp up the resolution or the antialiasing.

You will see that in forest areas it will struggle and go at 100% usage.
  • darkalteracdarkalterac Registered Users Posts: 10
    Mazisky said:

If you want your GPU to be fully utilized ramp up the resolution or the antialiasing.

I don't think you get it, the issue is that the game struggle reaching 60 fps. Changing the setting only makes it go worst.
    The usage is the cause not my objective.
    edited March 19

Mazisky said:

I don't think you get it, the issue is that the game struggle reaching 60 fps. Changing the setting only makes it go worst.
    There is nothing you can do with the current engine.

60 stable fps are not possible not even with the lastest hardware.

The problem is the engine can't handle when there are too many high details models at once on screen, that's why you get the biggest fps drops while you zoom in on many units during fights.

The only chances to see this improved is on Warhammer 3, which should be more optimized. I know it sounds unfair, but that's the reality.
    edited March 20
    Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

The problem is the engine can't handle when there are too many high details models at once on screen, that's why you get the biggest fps drops while you zoom in on many units during fights.

The only chances to see this improved is on Warhammer 3, which should be more optimized. I know it sounds unfair, but that's the reality.
    I don't understand how others deal with playing at great army sizes and lagging so much, is there a work around?

EDIT: i have found a benchmark with a 3070 that clearly doesn't share my issue of performance

Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

I don't understand how others deal with playing at great army sizes and lagging so much, is there a work around?

EDIT: i have found a benchmark with a 3070 that clearly doesn't share my issue of performance

It does not mean anything for the following reasons:

1- Check you settings, in the video he has shadows on ultra (not extreme) and only 2x antialiasing. Maybe your settings are different.

2- Are you using the same resolution as he uses?

3- He have a Ryzen 5800. Do you have a different processor CPU?

4- The CPU have more impact in this game performance than the videocards.

Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

1- Check you settings, in the video he has shadows on ultra (not extreme) and only 2x antialiasing. Maybe your settings are different.

Just look at the fact that he is using 90% of it's GPU is not proof enough that there is a compatibility issue?
    I think i am being a broken record. IT''S NOT THE FPS that he reaches but the GPU USAGE correlated to the fps".
    The issue that i described is that my GPU not matter what is always on around 50% no matter the setting i put on.
    And from the usage of all other components it's clealy not a bottleneck.

Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

It's not the point the FPS, look at the GPU usage of 90%. Isn't that a contradiction to the costraints of the engine that you mentioned?
    My issue is that NO MATTER THE SETTINGs MY GPU IS AROUND 50% USAGE.
    Bottleneck isn't part of the equiation as is clearly shown by my other components being on 20-30 %.

"My issue is that NO MATTER THE SETTINGs MY GPU IS AROUND 50% USAGE."

That's odd. Have u tried setting 4k resolution or Dsr 4x? it should ramp to 100% usage. Make this test

Mazisky said:

"My issue is that NO MATTER THE SETTINGs MY GPU IS AROUND 50% USAGE."

That's odd. Have u tried setting 4k resolution or Dsr 4x? it should ramp to 100% usage. Make this test

I tryed every setting, the usage always remain the same except for the campaign map.
    There is reason why i am sure this is a bug.
  • gorgos96gorgos96 Member Registered Users Posts: 193
    edited April 3

Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

He doesnt have the blood DLC, that DLC causes 15-25 fps drop. Youre experiencing CPU bottleneck when your GPU is under utilized
    Bretonnia needs more content!
    edited April 3
    gorgos96 said:

Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

He doesnt have the blood DLC, that DLC causes 15-25 fps drop. Youre experiencing CPU bottleneck when your GPU is under utilized
    That would be the case if i see a high usage on the cpu, unfortunatly as you can clearly see from the benchmark the CPU too is barely used during battles.

Edit 1: And before you think about it, by looking at the cores performance you can rule out CPU core bottleneck.

gorgos96 said:

Mazisky said:

Mazisky said:

That would be the case if i see a high usage on the cpu, unfortunatly as you can clearly see from the benchmark the CPU too is barely used during battles.

Edit 1: And before you think about it, by looking at the cores performance you can rule out CPU core bottleneck.
    Did you monitor cpu usage thoroughly? Does it ever spike to 99 and then drop? If not and both cpu and gpu are always under utilized it might PSU related issue.
    Open HWmonitor before your gaming session, afte your gaming is over check the hardware errors in the latest row, check the VRM mos temperatures, check the cpu core vcore offset max, check the cpu core distance to tj max temps. Report back here and I will try ro evaluate.
  • MaddredMaddred Registered Users Posts: 3
    This game is broken AF. Most cases are after the last patch that added Rakarth to the game, but not only.
    I will not mention this bug,

which has not been fixed and has remained unanswered from CA for years. Seriously, I'm starting to worry about Warhammer 3. If CA continues to pursue such a support policy, I will probably think a lot before I buy another CA/Sega game :/
    gorgos96 said:

Open HWmonitor before your gaming session, afte your gaming is over check the hardware errors in the latest row, check the VRM mos temperatures, check the cpu core vcore offset max, check the cpu core distance to tj max temps. Report back here and I will try ro evaluate.

Through MSI afterburner i checked all parameters and they are all average or below avarage.
    And even if there was one it would be the games fault, because in the map it works as usual but in the battle it doesn't.
    I have played other games with high usage, like AC Odissey, and they never showed the same issues that WARHAMMER does.
  • draetor2draetor2 Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited April 8
    It is the Blood DLC that causes the GPU usage issues. The Blood DLC is broken and very poorly optimized, and drops the fps 15-20 (getting worse when more bodies and blood is on the battle) and causes the GPU and CPU to be under utilized.

Just test it by turning it off and you'll see what I mean. That other guy's video who benchmarked didn't have blood on.

I experience the same issue with my 2080 Ti and i7 8700k OC at 4.8Ghz all cores, stable in benchmarks and all games. Just WH2 is so poorly optimized with blood on.

EDIT: I've had an account here for years with a username and now it's deciding to use my email address publicly on a forum. Who's idea was this? I can't even change it or delete it, so please whoever is moderating this, please delete my post and my account now. I'm not even given this option.
    Post edited by draetor2 on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file