Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Laptop performance for Rome 2 in 2021

BanksiaSkywalkerBanksiaSkywalker Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 11
edited April 6 in Technology
Hello everyone!

I used to play Rome 2 in it's heyday back in 2013/2014 and with the new release of the Rome 1 remaster and a bunch of optimization pacthes/dlc for Rome 2 I wanted to scratch that 'one more turn' itch by downloading Rome 2 again. My old, current laptop is on its way out so I'm in the market for a new one. Budget at ~ 750 euros (880-isch dolalrs).

Preferably I want it to run at high settings with 30 fps at minimum.

What GPU and CPU should I aim for?

The MX350 (rougly equiavalent to a 960m). MX450 is a bit steep in price. The GTX 1650 Max Q seems to be the next step up from the MX350 but also a bit more pricey. Would the MX350 work? Im also getting a good i5 processer as total war is very cpu heavy I think.

Thoughts, hints, pointers? Any help is superappreciated! Big thanks!

* Unfortunatley I dont have room for a desktop at home... I travel some in work and studies so a laptop is a necessity.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• BanksiaSkywalkerBanksiaSkywalker Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 11
    Hello everyone! (Sorry if this ended up in the wrong forum section).

I used to play Rome 2 in it's heyday back in 2013/2014 and with the new release of the Rome 1 remaster and a bunch of optimization pacthes/dlc for Rome 2 I wanted to scratch that 'one more turn' itch by downloading Rome 2 again. My old, current laptop is on its way out so I'm in the market for a new one. Budget at ~ 750 euros (880-isch dolalrs).

Preferably I want it to run at high settings with 30 fps at minimum.

What GPU and CPU should I aim for?

The MX350 (rougly equiavalent to a 960m). MX450 is a bit steep in price. The GTX 1650 Max Q seems to be the next step up from the MX350 but also a bit more pricey. Would the MX350 work? Im also getting a good i5 processer as total war is very cpu heavy I think.

Thoughts, hints, pointers? Any help is superappreciated! Big thanks!

* Unfortunatley I dont have room for a desktop at home... I travel some in work and studies so a laptop is a necessity.
  • ThomassiniThomassini Registered Users Posts: 857
    edited April 6
    Good CPU is a must. Much more important than GPU - my old 970M has been more than enough even for Warhammer.

Good luck though getting a decent desktop or even a laptop now with all crypto miners ****ing up the whole market and buying up all the GPUs they can get their greedy fingers on.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,340
    I don't know what you can pull off for gaming at that kind of rock bottom price. Especially in the middle of a chip shortage...

Getting what is essentially a word processor, isn't what I'd recommend.

The MX350 will work, purely as a "scratch the Rome 2 itch" device, but you're buying a computer with five year old entry level performance. This thing is integrated GPU territory, it's no better than getting a Ryzen 4000 series laptop and using the Vega 8 instead of having a dedicated CPU.

If you're going to end up with some low power i5 at the same time, I'd shop around through those Ryzen 5 4500U laptops anyway. They're also in your price range here.

It will rapidly be antiquated beyond the possibility of functionally operating even low spec TW games. I'd expect lousy performance, even at low, for Medieval III.

If you at all plan to play current and future games on this laptop, you're simply buying the wrong device. You may not be able to afford what you'd need to fit your plan, but the performance of an entry level graphics card from 5 years ago wont cut the mustard.

This is an EPIC step down from what you can get for a couple hundred more. Just looking on amazon.de, there are a few for under a thousand with actual discrete GPU's.