Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Unit depth right-click drag idea

TaffTaff Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3
edited April 9 in Total War General Chat
TLDR; What I'm proposing is either by default, or by having a toggle in settings/key binding, to change the behaviour of units in right-click drag to prioritise keeping line depth rather than line length even between different unit sizes.
That way, you can quickly right-click drag out a group of units of different sizes to form a line of even depth without any weak points in the line. See the two screenshots below in spoiler tags for what I mean.

Hi everyone,

I've been playing total war for many years and it's probably my favourite game series of all time.

I've had an idea for what I think would be a really useful feature that would make sorting out unit formations a lot easier. I don't think it's possible currently, but if I've missed something that lets you do this easily already then please let me know!

At the moment, when you've selected a group of units of different sizes (e.g. they're all 200 strong, with one of them 100 strong), and right-click drag to form them up into a line, the smaller unit is stretched out thinner than the others in terms of depth to meet the same length as the other units, as shown in the first screenshot below:

When making a line like this, I usually like to have all of the units as the same depth as each other, both because it looks nicer/neater but can make sense tactically to not have weaker points in the line. This is especially important for line infantry musket based games like Fall of the Samurai (FotS) and Napoleon which I'm mostly playing at the moment, but still important for other eras.

So because of this, at the start of every battle I have to drag my units out into a line, then select the smaller unit and drag that one out manually to the same depth as the others, then move all the units to the side over to close the gap as it's now not as long, then change the next smaller unit's formation and move the rest across and repeat... Which is a bit of a pain. It's especially annoying in FotS and Napoleon without the alt-click drag feature of the newer games to move the units over. Then you can lock the group or alt-click drag the formation to keep them in the same formation.

What I'm proposing is either by default, or by having a toggle in settings/key binding, to change the behaviour of units in right-click drag to prioritise keeping line depth rather than line length even between different unit sizes.
That way, you can quickly right-click drag out a group of units of different sizes to form a line of even depth without any weak points in the line, as shown in the second screenshot below:

As much as I'd love this to be added to the existing games to make unit formations easier, I understand that may not be possible. But could this at least be considered for future total war games (maybe to be added into Rome Remastered?), and especially so for any musket based games you may be considering in future (hint hint Empire 2 please...).

Thanks for your time, I hope you can consider this as I think it'd make controlling unit formations that little bit easier and make the total war series even better.

Cheers!
Post edited by Taff on