Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So I tried the Hammer Of Grungni for Ungrim Ironfist for 100 turns

gunner8521gunner8521 Registered Users Posts: 488
edited April 11 in General Discussion
I haven't played Dwarfs in awhile so I tried them again using the Hammer of Grungni mod as Ungrim. After about 100 turns I got pretty annoyed on were my campaign went (I ended up having too many enemies and made some bad decisions with my buildings),

Here are my thoughts.

By far the best thing to come out of the mod is the Rune word system. I found it so much better of an investment than the forge. In my playthough, most of the forge stuff could not be built, so the Rune Word system was great to spend my accumulating Oathgold. If/when the Dwarfs get an update

The monster hunts have promise but often times I was too busy trying to defend my settlements to march my way all the way over to the spot where the monster was. the upgrades to slayers was decent. Giving Slayers Anti-Infantry is awesome. Despite only doing one hunt, I can see the utility of having monsters like for instance a great eagle can be a great help for dwarfs. my only sticking point is, I can't dedicate an army to go after them.

the stonemasons I didn't really touch all that much. They seem like a weird unit and their building also seemed redundant. having high armor and anti-infantry seems good, but I never invested

Ultimately I feel I killed my enjoyment in the campaign by confederating Karaz A Karak for fear on losing them as they lost their main settlement. Confederating them led to a border with Grimgor which led to a never ending tide of Greenskin stacks coming my way as well as the Skaven to the northeast of me which kept blowing up my settlements which I stupidly tried to build back up when I should have used that growth building up Karak Kadrin and addionally sending an army to painstakingly get rid of them. my main starting settlement never got higher than lv 4 by 100 turns and my settlements couldn't diversify enough aside from Garrisons and trying to build up walls in all settlements. plus every time an enemy army raided it would make a grudge and my armies couldn't be offensive without heavy casualties

I might try Ungrim again as on paper his campaign seems good on paper. Is there any tips you have for Dawi. I played them before (Thorgrim and Belegar), but it always seems I'm using the same basic units over and over again.
Post edited by gunner8521 on
Tagged:

Comments

• Ben1990Ben1990 Registered Users Posts: 889

I haven't played Dwarfs in awhile so I tried them again using the Hammer of Grungni mod as Ungrim. After about 100 turns I got pretty annoyed on were my campaign went (I ended up having too many enemies and made some bad decisions with my buildings),

Here are my thoughts.

By far the best thing to come out of the mod is the Rune word system. I found it so much better of an investment than the forge. In my playthough, most of the forge stuff could not be built, so the Rune Word system was great to spend my accumulating Oathgold. If/when the Dwarfs get an update

The monster hunts have promise but often times I was too busy trying to defend my settlements to march my way all the way over to the spot where the monster was. the upgrades to slayers was decent. Giving Slayers Anti-Infantry is awesome. Despite only doing one hunt, I can see the utility of having monsters like for instance a great eagle can be a great help for dwarfs. my only sticking point is, I can't dedicate an army to go after them.

the stonemasons I didn't really touch all that much. They seem like a weird unit and their building also seemed redundant. having high armor and anti-infantry seems good, but I never invested

Ultimately I feel I killed my enjoyment in the campaign by confederating Karaz A Karak for fear on losing them as they lost their main settlement. Confederating them lead to a border with Grimgor which lead to a never ending tide of Greenskin stacks coming my way as well as the Skaven to the east east of me which kept blowing up my settlements which I stupidly tried to build back up when I should have used that time building up Karak Kadrin. my main starting settlement never got higher than lv 4 by 100 turns and my settlements couldn't diversify enough aside from Garrisons and trying to build up walls in all settlements. plus every time an enemy army raided it would make a grudge and my armies couldn't be offensive without heavy casualties

I might try Ungrim again as on paper his campaign seems good on paper. Is there any tips you have for Dawi. I played them before (Thorgrim and Belegar), but it always seems I'm using the same basic units over and over again.

The mechanics for Ungrim are the most fun. Also him getting some nonstandard units in the form of the beasts if he spares them adds to some additional variety and versatility to Dwarf tactics.
  • gunner8521gunner8521 Registered Users Posts: 488
    edited April 11
    Yeah I agree with you.
    In 100 turns I got

A larger Razorgor at Silver Pinnacle (which I killed)
    An Great Eagle in Eastern Empire (I was going south at the time and could not go west)
    A Hyrda near Talabecheim (way too far)
    And an Araknarok Spider near Silver Road (would of had to fight my way through 2 greenskin stacks to get to it. Deleted my campaign before getting to it.)

The Eagle and the Spider would have been good additions with the Mobility and Terror.

I would have Definately tamed if there was a Dragon or Manticor hunt. I also kinda wished you could teleport to them as well.

Yeah I agree with you.
    In 100 turns I got

A larger Razorgor at Silver Pinnacle (which I killed)
    An Great Eagle in Eastern Empire (I was going south at the time and could not go west)
    A Hyrda near Talabecheim (way too far)
    And an Araknarok Spider near Silver Road (would of had to fight my way through 2 greenskin stacks to get to it. Deleted my campaign before getting to it.)

The Eagle and the Spider would have been good additions with the Mobility and Terror.

I would have Definately tamed if there was a Dragon or Manticor hunt. I also kinda wished you could teleport to them as well.

The author also said that Ungrim will get other ways to get renown to upgrade Slayers, as well as two more monsters in the future. He can't however decide what monsters though.
    Ben1990 said:

The author also said that Ungrim will get other ways to get renown to upgrade Slayers, as well as two more monsters in the future. He can't however decide what monsters though.
    Do you know the full list of Monsters you can recuit?

• endurendur Registered Users Posts: 4,069
    Thanks for the comments. I haven't played that mod yet, but it looks interesting.

I actually just played two 100+ turn dawi campaigns (L/N/L), one with Belegar and one with Grombrindal.

These campaigns were very different because of the different economies.

Belegar had his starting settlement, Karak 8 peaks, and some of the lands around Karak 8 peaks, including the gold mine at Black Crag and the diamond mine south of Karak 8 peaks.

Grombrindal had the ports, Ekrund, Karak 8 peaks, Karak Azgal, Black Crag, Karaz a Karak, Kraka Drak. With three diamond mines and trade, Grombrindal was bringing in a massive amount of income compared to Belegar (12k a turn from trade).

Confederation is a lot harder than it used to be, but I imagine confederation will get easier when Archaon shows up.

Ben1990 said:

A Razorgor, a Great Eagle, a Kharybdis, a Giant Spider, a Treeman and a Rotting Leviathan.
    Ben1990 said:

Ben1990 said:

A Razorgor, a Great Eagle, a Kharybdis, a Giant Spider, a Treeman and a Rotting Leviathan.
    Interesting. I didn't get the Treeman or Leviathan at that point in my campaign, but if I continued I may have gotten them. Knowing the list now, I would definitely want to get a Dragon, Manticor or even a Dinosaur in Lustria in the future.

Ben1990 said:

Ben1990 said:

Interesting. I didn't get the Treeman or Leviathan at that point in my campaign, but if I continued I may have gotten them. Knowing the list now, I would definitely want to get a Dragon, Manticor or even a Dinosaur in Lustria in the future.
    Who knows? We'll see. Though the creator did say that he's now thinking about a Mammoth after I suggested it to him.
    Ben1990 said:

Ben1990 said:

Ben1990 said:

Who knows? We'll see. Though the creator did say that he's now thinking about a Mammoth after I suggested it to him.
    Hey I started another new Campaign. Doing much better this time. Stonemasons kick butt. 4 of them killed a greenskin rebellion 20 stack with no problem.