Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War Forum FAQ

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,660
    I love this forum. There's a whole bunch of awesome users here. From hardheads like myself, to lore wizards, to experts in random fields. I'ma lean on this place pretty heavy in the coming days for curing boredom and nerding out on some topics.

I am sorry for occasionally being harsh on the mods. I just think this place would be so much better with stricter enforcement.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 31,775
    Bies said:

It may work /now ppl will stop abusing the abuse/flag button :D
    @CA_James new avatars or option to make our own avatars?

You can no longer "abuse" the flag button because those options are gone, you have to explicitely report what a post is in violation of.

• Jman5Jman5 Registered Users Posts: 1,358
    edited April 14
    Oh nice, an actual disagree button.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 31,775
    Jman5 said:

Oh nice, an actual disagree button. Maybe this will stop people from using the report button as a pseudo-disagree.

You no longer can do that anyway.

• MalalTheRenegadeMalalTheRenegade Registered Users Posts: 421
    edited April 14
    Not even one mention about trolling and baiting in these new rules, so no new precisions about how those behaviors are recognised and dealt with.

I mean we got a "nice" disagree button but it seems to me that all this will make the mods' life easier (no more flag abuse) but it won't help the forum to get better and stop the trolling which was the cause of all of this change in the first place.

Edit : I still welcome the fact that you decided to take actions.
  • Jman5Jman5 Registered Users Posts: 1,358
    Hey CA, speaking of forum improvements. Can you please look into fixing your Edit feature so posts don't get sent the shadow-realm after editing? I'm always worried that my edits will disappear my post for several hours until a mod comes around to approve it.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,192

sykall said:

Oh all my likes are gone...

Anyway one thing, could maybe make like/dislike buttons colourful? E.g. green for agree and red or orange for disagree? More colour would serve this forum well with all its black and white it otherwise contains.

But you still have the points for them.
    And what do points do exactly?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,622

sykall said:

Anyway one thing, could maybe make like/dislike buttons colourful? E.g. green for agree and red or orange for disagree? More colour would serve this forum well with all its black and white it otherwise contains.

Same as before, but now you get them through the Agree button.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,192

sykall said:

Uhhh... what did they do before?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,622

sykall said:

Uhhh... what did they do before?
    Posts with the most likes appeared in the Best Of section and provided a league table in the Activity section. Beyond that, not much.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

• XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 2,830
    This is so stupid. This forum didn't need the toxicity of reddit. It just needed an ignore feature that made users posts invisible.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • MagicspookMagicspook Registered Users Posts: 730
    Oh nice, a dislike option. It will he fun to see how many people disagree with some stuff and to see what opinions are more controversial. But the best improvement IMO is the fact that the useless spam/abuse flags are gone.

Btw I think 'agree' should be changed back to 'like'. I don't really agree with a meme or a cool story or a lore exerpt, but I do like them!
  • MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,050
    Can we please change the way the forum displays threads to be closer to other forums? In other words, make it so that, by default, threads will display in order of which one had a new post most recently, not in order of when the thread itself was posted.

That way active threads won't be inevitably buried.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Currently eagerly awaiting the Ogre Kingdoms!
  • RonNLRonNL Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 536
    It is sad that it has come to this but hopefully these changes benefits the forum on the long run.
  • BiesBies Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,405

jamreal18 said:

May I ask something else, is it possible to afloat threads with recent comments to avoid spamming?

Use the Hot sort to get threads with the most recent posts to the top of the list.
    so I assume it works like that- when people respond to older thread on for example page 3 it automatically shows as the first thread on page 1 (?)

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

edited April 14
    Bies said:

jamreal18 said:

May I ask something else, is it possible to afloat threads with recent comments to avoid spamming?

Use the Hot sort to get threads with the most recent posts to the top of the list.
    so I assume it works like that- when people respond to older thread on for example page 3 it automatically shows as the first thread on page 1 (?)
    Yes. It was the original default setting for this forum, but something went wrong and, in attempting to correct it, Vanilla made the matter worse so it was set to how it is now.

Edit: as you found with the meme thread.

• MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,050

Bies said:

jamreal18 said:

Yes. It was the original default setting for this forum, but something went wrong and, in attempting to correct it, Vanilla made the matter worse so it was set to how it is now.
    Is there any possibility it could be changed back?
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Currently eagerly awaiting the Ogre Kingdoms!

Bies said:

jamreal18 said:

Who knows. We've been asking since it became the way it is.

• DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,562
    Here I thought I was going to read WH3 news and DLC news, although I KNOW DLC will last a few months. And may will be news for Wh3 of what I saw from CA responses on Reddit.

I Do like the disagree emoticon though (A) lolza
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

Bies said:

jamreal18 said:

asking who?

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

Bies said:

Bies said:

jamreal18 said:

asking who?
    The forum software provider via CA.

Bies said:

Bies said:

jamreal18 said:

asking who?
    The forum software provider via CA.
    skynet :D

• Maidros98Maidros98 Registered Users Posts: 314
    Finally a disagree option. I've been wanting this for ever
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 2,830
    edited April 14
    Alright just in case CA decides to check back on this forum I'll candidly say what I think is going to happen now.

People who are buried in dislikes, and that's what this button is, a dislike button phrased more politely, are going to be put in a worse mood and become more defensive. That's basic human psychology. And other users are going to weaponize the dislike button by posting nasty comments about how many people hate the user getting buried in dislikes. Appeal to numbers. They're not going to just hit disagree and be done, they'll continue to engage with users they don't like and established hostilities will become worse. And you can call the people who will become defensive at the dislikes they receive babies or what ever insult comes to mind. But it will be exactly that, an insult, it will escalate instead of deescalating the problem.

What should have been added was an ignore button that hides peoples posts and threads. The best way to deescalate tension between individuals that don't like each other is by separating them which is what an ignore button does. Allows both users to continue to use the forum without interacting with each other. You have no idea if you're being ignored by someone or a group of people so there will be no sense of "I'm being ganged up on." People will simply have fewer negative interactions.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • CyresdogCyresdog Registered Users Posts: 629
    edited April 14
    Ngl
    I don't know if it should make me happy or sad to see that you put whoever is in charge of the forum to work to add a agree and disagree button and yet the rest of the forum is older than time itself.
    From design to functionality.

The promised avatars are still not added and bugs that are on here for years still stay.
    Priorities completely wrong.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 5,644

I'd also like to know why disagrees are hidden whereas you can see who agreed with something. Anonymising the flags (eventually) made sense, but shouldn't it be put in the open just who disagrees with any idea or suggestion?

Because someone would take a screenshot and use it to bully another user.
    Anonymising disagrees just incentivises lazily pushing the button over giving a thoughtful reply since you don't even have to commit to it in any way beyond that act. I think at the very least people should have their names connected to whatever they disagreed with.
    I completely agree. However if we're going to have it which enables bullying less? A disagree with names, or one without?

Honestly I don't actually care. I just don't like the disagree button existing.
    If disagree lists were open, you'd notice if someone attempted to go for astroturfing and disliked via sock accounts.
    I assume that's the case anyway. It's not possible to honestly disagree with me.
    This is why I like you VG, neither of us are ever wrong.
    Beastmen

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 2,408
    Surge_2 said:

I'd also like to know why disagrees are hidden whereas you can see who agreed with something. Anonymising the flags (eventually) made sense, but shouldn't it be put in the open just who disagrees with any idea or suggestion?

Anonymising disagrees just incentivises lazily pushing the button over giving a thoughtful reply since you don't even have to commit to it in any way beyond that act. I think at the very least people should have their names connected to whatever they disagreed with.
    I completely agree. However if we're going to have it which enables bullying less? A disagree with names, or one without?

If disagree lists were open, you'd notice if someone attempted to go for astroturfing and disliked via sock accounts.
    I assume that's the case anyway. It's not possible to honestly disagree with me.
    I must admit I disagree with this post, but like it. Old rules it got a like, so I'm inclined to agree, but I don't agree, so I did...

*rolls for miscast*

'Eadbang!

Surge_2 said:

I must admit I disagree with this post, but like it. Old rules it got a like, so I'm inclined to agree, but I don't agree, so I did...

*rolls for miscast*

'Eadbang!
    Much like Flags in the old system, sometimes you just need to go with your heart. <3
    Beastmen

• mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,215
    Has it's come to this point where a forum about a video game is so volatile that rules must be the headline and even the development team only posts on reddit instead of here then damn!

mewade44 said:

Has it's come to this point where a forum about a video game is so volatile that rules must be the headline and even the development team only posts on reddit instead of here then damn!

That gif is top 3, all time, maybe top 4...
    Beastmen

This discussion has been closed.