Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War Forum FAQ

Comments

• MagicspookMagicspook Registered Users Posts: 730

Alright just in case CA decides to check back on this forum I'll candidly say what I think is going to happen now.

People who are buried in dislikes, and that's what this button is, a dislike button phrased more politely, are going to be put in a worse mood and become more defensive. That's basic human psychology. And other users are going to weaponize the dislike button by posting nasty comments about how many people hate the user getting buried in dislikes. Appeal to numbers. They're not going to just hit disagree and be done, they'll continue to engage with users they don't like and established hostilities will become worse. And you can call the people who will become defensive at the dislikes they receive babies or what ever insult comes to mind. But it will be exactly that, an insult, it will escalate instead of deescalating the problem.

What should have been added was an ignore button that hides peoples posts and threads. The best way to deescalate tension between individuals that don't like each other is by separating them which is what an ignore button does. Allows both users to continue to use the forum without interacting with each other. You have no idea if you're being ignored by someone or a group of people so there will be no sense of "I'm being ganged up on." People will simply have fewer negative interactions.

I mean yes, but an ignore function actually requires the developers to think about how it would work (for example, can you still see the responses to someone you ignored? If yes, can you use 'show earlier posts' to see them anyway?) And also requires some programming. The dislike button uses the exact same code as the like button and probably took the developer less than a day to implement.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,622

Alright just in case CA decides to check back on this forum I'll candidly say what I think is going to happen now.

People who are buried in dislikes, and that's what this button is, a dislike button phrased more politely, are going to be put in a worse mood and become more defensive. That's basic human psychology. And other users are going to weaponize the dislike button by posting nasty comments about how many people hate the user getting buried in dislikes. Appeal to numbers. They're not going to just hit disagree and be done, they'll continue to engage with users they don't like and established hostilities will become worse. And you can call the people who will become defensive at the dislikes they receive babies or what ever insult comes to mind. But it will be exactly that, an insult, it will escalate instead of deescalating the problem.

What should have been added was an ignore button that hides peoples posts and threads. The best way to deescalate tension between individuals that don't like each other is by separating them which is what an ignore button does. Allows both users to continue to use the forum without interacting with each other. You have no idea if you're being ignored by someone or a group of people so there will be no sense of "I'm being ganged up on." People will simply have fewer negative interactions.

I mean yes, but an ignore function actually requires the developers to think about how it would work (for example, can you still see the responses to someone you ignored? If yes, can you use 'show earlier posts' to see them anyway?) And also requires some programming. The dislike button uses the exact same code as the like button and probably took the developer less than a day to implement.
    You also have to bear in mind that CA is not the developer of the forum software, so it would probably require third-party intervention to add an ignore button.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 2,830

You also have to bear in mind that CA is not the developer of the forum software, so it would probably require third-party intervention to add an ignore button.
    right, basically it would take some sort of investment on CA's part to properly rectify the issue. So its a non starter
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 3,589
    good.
    *Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,622

right, basically it would take some sort of investment on CA's part to properly rectify the issue. So its a non starter
    Actually I suspect it would take some sort of investment from the forum software developer and that would depend on whether or not a significant proportion of their client-base was requesting the same thing in a similar way to how CA reacts to its community requests.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

• Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 5,644
    An ignore would be fantastic.
    Beastmen

Actually I suspect it would take some sort of investment from the forum software developer and that would depend on whether or not a significant proportion of their client-base was requesting the same thing in a similar way to how CA reacts to its community requests.
    usually those costs are passed down to the client. If CA offered to pay for it the developers would implement it.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,552
    Surge_2 said:

It's already in your brain.
    edited April 14

Surge_2 said:

ideally yeah, people should be able to just ignore people. But thats now how things work on the internet

i mean you can also apply that to the like/dislike buttons. You can agree or disagree with a comment with out needing a button for it.
    Post edited by XxXScorpionXxX on
    edited April 14

usually those costs are passed down to the client. If CA offered to pay for it the developers would implement it.
    Unless several major users request it and then the cost would be split presumably between developer and clients.
    Edit: at the end of the day, it's not likely to be a quck fix, however it's funded.

• ArecBalrinArecBalrin Registered Users Posts: 2,444
    edited April 14
    Inappropriate Comment removed.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules

At least we have social credits now, to keep each other in line.
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 2,002
    Do points mean prizes?

Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

Unless several major users request it and then the cost would be split presumably between developer and clients.
    Edit: at the end of the day, it's not likely to be a quck fix, however it's funded.
    Now i'm just curious about which company CA contracted this forum to and what other companies use it. I don't remember seeing one like this before.
    edited April 14

I think GameFAQs had the best ignore system honestly. I'm probably dating myself by mentioning them.

Honestly I think like/dislike buttons was the worst thing to ever happen to social media. It was originally implemented as a psychological tool to get people addicted to constantly checking old messages for a dopamine boost. Its completely gutted natural conversations which was the original point of online forums.
  • GBoneGBone Registered Users Posts: 659
    I'm interested in how the agree/disagree function may affect moderation; if a forum user were to start a thread where their comments received, just for example, a ratio of over 100 disagrees to 1 agree, would that flag further investigation from moderators, as it could potentially signal trolling behaviour?
    edited April 14
    GBone said:

I'm interested in how the agree/disagree function may affect moderation; if a forum user were to start a thread where their comments received, just for example, a ratio of over 100 disagrees to 1 agree, would that flag further investigation from moderators, as it could potentially signal trolling behaviour?

No, but, as previously, a report would bring it to moderator attention much more quickly than any number of flags. Previously flags would only reach the moderation team once a critical number was reached, but reports went straight through to the team.

So using only the report function should be quicker overall.

• DMFan79DMFan79 ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 407
    I think that giving the ability to "disagree" or "agree" was a bad idea. Paradox does the same in their forums. It only exacerbates the tension between people with different opinions. Nobody wants to see a counter of people who don't like what you wrote, it's the best way to make someone mad.

So using only the report function should be quicker overall.

Is there a report back when action is rightfully taken?
    Beastmen

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,656
    GBone said:

That'd suck. Moderation should be based on reality, not any sort of popularity contest.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!

GBone said:

That'd suck. Moderation should be based on reality, not any sort of popularity contest.
    Should be, but...
    Beastmen

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,656

Surge_2 said:

I do this by simply not caring about certain users comments. It's still annoying entering a thread and having to scroll past stuff.

I'm against it though. The forum aint big enough for that.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • MagicspookMagicspook Registered Users Posts: 730
    edited April 14

I meant the developers of the forum software, not the devs of the game ;) sorry for the confusion
    DMFan79 said:

I think that giving the ability to "disagree" or "agree" was a bad idea. Paradox does the same in their forums. It only exacerbates the tension between people with different opinions. Nobody wants to see a counter of people who don't like what you wrote, it's the best way to make someone mad.

It makes mad people madder, sad people sadder and bad people badder. To make good people do stupid or wicked things; it takes visible approval.

The most popular thread ever on the Total War subreddit?

That would be the now-deleted one filled with multiple libels and at least one threat of violence against a youtuber who said things people didn't like.

Naturally, it was the target of abuse that was banned rather than the abusers.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,341
    Shiro is speaking much sense here in a lot of his posts.

I find all the censorship and lack of appeals troubling, honestly. It's also concerning that this forum account, TW Access, and your Steam account which you get the TW Access stuff on are all linked. Remember that when you agree to let them add the stuff, you also agree to let them remove it. How long before things here jeopardize the TW Access items on your Steam account? Troubling thought. Reminds me of some anecdotes from history - but I can't talk about those anymore, lol. Meh.
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,131
    Oh finally after years I think I must be one of the highest most false flagged people here for saying Cathay and far east was coming in game 3 lol. Justice... if this was in place all those years think about how much people would have been banned lol.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 4,880
    Woosh, all my likes gone.

I love this, for many reasons.
    Beastmen

• CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,157

Thing is i can like a comment and not agree with it completely

Cool I was able to agree without needing to post. Oh wait....

But yes for example someone might put in a really detailed unit post on Mono-gods and how awesome they are, that I don’t care about the subject but I appreciate the effort in this case I would give a like but not necessarily agree.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,157
    edited April 14
    jamreal18 said:

I must also say I'm not really on board with "dislike/disagree" options, reason being liking something means saving space that would otherwise be taken up by pointless "+1/this/agree" posts. Disagreeing should require people to explain their reasoning rather than just allowing them to show their disdain with a single button press, that just turns the whole thing into a simplistic popularity contest.

Yeah, people shall explain why they disagree.

Anyways, I still like it that CA is trying to improve forum though.
    Interesting I disagree with your first point that people who disagree need to explain why and people who agree don’t need too. Does it not matter why someone agrees with the author? Or do we assume we know the thinking of agrees and have no possible understanding of why someone would disagree with my statement that dwarfs offer the fastest game play?

But

I like your second point that it is good to see CA trying to improve the forum. For me it gives me hope that they will look at the structure as well.

What a quandary do I click on agree or disagree? But I do like your comment.

(Edited likes and dislike to agree and disagree. Old habits)
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
This discussion has been closed.