Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Mad Props for the new DISAGREE button!

ValkaarValkaar Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3,154
edited April 14 in Off Topic General
It should hopefully dramatically reduce the workload of the mods, with them previously having sort through every ‘false flag as a disagree’... freeing them up for more quality control activity.

Plus it gives an easier way to for regular members to casually respond to trolls without falling into bait with a full-on post.

Thank you 🙏 for implementing this feature! It’s a little thing but I think it will go a long way.

P.S. No, I don’t think it will devolve this place into a ‘Reddit-type’ board, where it’s basically just a popularity contest. Because as far as I can tell, unlike Reddit, the Agree/Disagree doesn’t appear to have any impact on ‘bumping a post up/down’. Like the problem with Reddit’s dislikes is that you can use it to hide/bury a post or comment several lines/pages down so that no one ever sees it. This encourages the user base to only post crowd-pleasing content in order to be seen.

^^no such popularity-based bumping appears to be included here, so I think it’s fine.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 861
    I'ma celebrate by disagreeing with you, nothing personal I'm just excited to use it for the first time.
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 2,831
    "No, I don’t think it will devolve this place into a ‘Reddit-type’ board, where it’s basically just a popularity contest."

That's exactly what will happen.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,944

"No, I don’t think it will devolve this place into a ‘Reddit-type’ board, where it’s basically just a popularity contest."

But no ones opinion is going to disappear so “downvotes” don’t even matter.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 5,213
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,550

The goal should not ever be to eliminate an opinion. Downvotes merely put a persons opinion into perspective.
  • RamsesIIIRamsesIII Registered Users Posts: 768
    The virgin Flag vs the chad Disagree
    Helhound said:

The goal should not ever be to eliminate an opinion. Downvotes merely put a persons opinion into perspective.
    Exactly
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 4,402

I disagree.

I disagree with your disagreement. Someone disagree me.
  • LunaticprinceLunaticprince Registered Users Posts: 2,949
    the time of this meme came!

Doesn't matter, this will make things worse and will increase hostility. Hear me now, quote me later.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,538

I disagree.

I disagree with your disagreement. Someone disagree me.
    Agreed.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,538

the time of this meme came!

I like this.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life

Doesn't matter, this will make things worse and will increase hostility. Hear me now, quote me later.
    Both points require further explanation or stand as speculation. In what way would a simple disagreement function "make things worse" and how would it "increase hostility"? Remember, disagreement here won't run the risk of shuffle similar to Reddit. The post remains right in the order placed.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 31,777
    Helhound said:

Both points require further explanation or stand as speculation. In what way would a simple disagreement function "make things worse" and how would it "increase hostility"? Remember, disagreement here won't run the risk of shuffle similar to Reddit. The post remains right in the order placed.
    Being able to substitute a reasoned post where you explain your disagreement with an idea or suggestion with a simple, lazy and anymous button click you encourage there to be less discussion and more mob rule as people don't have to put any effort into it any more and due to anonymity don't even have to commit to it.

Helhound said:

For all intents and purposes the "disagree" button is a dislike button. You think people who get buried in dislikes are going to go "oh gee maybe I had a bad take." No, they'll be put in a worse mood and become more defensive and lash out more. Do you think that people who dislike a post will simply hit "disagree" and move on with their lives? No they'll disagree, flag, and post nasty comments pointing out how many people hate the user. This will end poorly. I'll make a bag of popcorn now.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 11,477
    I just wish that both of the options showed who agrees/disagrees, or that they both hide it.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,151
    Pfft. Too binary. I want a 'Agree to disagree' button!

:| -We already have an emoji for it!
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Anyone using the term 'iconic' incorrectly to pad out their dumb argument will be subject to immediate Bloodthirster summoning.
    I think l

Helhound said:

For all intents and purposes the "disagree" button is a dislike button. You think people who get buried in dislikes are going to go "oh gee maybe I had a bad take." No, they'll be put in a worse mood and become more defensive and lash out more. Do you think that people who dislike a post will simply hit "disagree" and move on with their lives? No they'll disagree, flag, and post nasty comments pointing out how many people hate the user. This will end poorly. I'll make a bag of popcorn now.
    I think lashing out simply because one’s opinions are unpopular will only show us who the sociopaths to be disregarded are
  • Beef545Beef545 Registered Users Posts: 734
    Good addition, now I have a chance to score more likes than reports, because so far people have been using them as a disagree button.
    The age of Men is over. The time of the Troll has come.
    edited April 14

I think l

Helhound said:

I think lashing out simply because one’s opinions are unpopular will only show us who the sociopaths to be disregarded are
    Actually, it will enforce more conformity because I bet there's a lot of people who don't want to consciously or subconsciously risk getting a highly negative Like/Dislike ration in fear of it being used against them. Disapproval at the simple press of a button in total anonymity is simply not a good idea. At the very least the names of the people who disagreed should be open.

• BiesBies Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,406
    edited April 14
    Crossil said:

I just wish that both of the options showed who agrees/disagrees, or that they both hide it.

maybe because CA know that ppl who disagrees may be targeted

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

Helhound said:

Being able to substitute a reasoned post where you explain your disagreement with an idea or suggestion with a simple, lazy and anymous button click you encourage there to be less discussion and more mob rule as people don't have to put any effort into it any more and due to anonymity don't even have to commit to it.
    There are a great many things that could be summarized and do not require a reasoned post. Anything that constitutes an opinion for example. If what you have to say will in no way contribute or affect the discussion, then a simple disagree is easier than 11000 posts that follow that can all be summarized into basically that. See any thread started by Veresh for example. There is also no mob rule here, disagreement has no consequence. It just starts and ends there, a civil disagreement. The flag system and moderators remain the rule. Not your afeared mob.

Helhound said:

Lash out at who? If you are so immature as to take a simple disagreement, something tallied even without direct confrontation, as a personal offense then you have problems beyond what any forum structure will accomodate. If you want to elaborate on a disagreement, you remain capable of doing so same as you had before. If you simply wish to voice an opinion, this limits the amount of noise contribution that is necessary to do so. If you so choose to use it as such. How an individual reacts to being drowned in disagreement is entirely on them. Until proven otherwise, it remains that the we be as generous to all arguments as possible. If an individuals reaction to being disagreed with is "**** you guys, no one understands me", then that individual has proven to be undeserving of said generosity and should not be surprised if that exact reaction warrents jail/ban from the forums.

I think l

Helhound said:

See? You're already calling these hypothetical people names. This is going to intensify the established hostilities that already exist. What was needed was an ignore button that hides posts and threads for users you don't care to interact with.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,321
    It should certainly have an impact on false flagging.
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 11,477
    Bies said:

Crossil said:

maybe because CA know that ppl who disagrees may be targeted
    And those who agree with unpopular opinions won't be?

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

Beef545 said:

Good addition, now I have a chance to score more likes than reports, because so far people have been using them as a disagree button.

That should have been dealt with by mods warning people if they continue to abuse the flag button they'll get themselves in hot water instead.
    Helhound said:

There are a great many things that could be summarized and do not require a reasoned post. Anything that constitutes an opinion for example. If what you have to say will in no way contribute or affect the discussion, then a simple disagree is easier than 11000 posts that follow that can all be summarized into basically that. See any thread started by Veresh for example. There is also no mob rule here, disagreement has no consequence. It just starts and ends there, a civil disagreement. The flag system and moderators remain the rule. Not your afeared mob.

Veresh and co. are huge outliers, so designing a system around them is a major mistake. What about people who have ideas that aren't popular, like for example they want unit X over unit Y where Y is some forum darling? They get disagreed into oblivion by a dozen posters who are obsessed with this unit with no need for anyone to explain why and get intimidated into falling in line. Does that sound enjoyable?

This system simply doesn't encourage a healthy forum atmosphere, it instead encourages competition and mob rule.

edited April 14
    "Lash out at who? If you are so immature as to take a simple disagreement, something tallied even without direct confrontation, as a personal offense then you have problems beyond what any forum structure will accomodate. If you want to elaborate on a disagreement, you remain capable of doing so same as you had before. If you simply wish to voice an opinion, this limits the amount of noise contribution that is necessary to do so. If you so choose to use it as such. How an individual reacts to being drowned in disagreement is entirely on them. Until proven otherwise, it remains that the we be as generous to all arguments as possible. If an individuals reaction to being disagreed with is "**** you guys, no one understands me", then that individual has proven to be undeserving of said generosity and should not be surprised if that exact reaction warrents jail/ban from the forums."

That's another fear I have now. Mods are simply going to lean on mob rule instead of making independent evaluations.

But we can agree to disagree here. I'm very confident I'm right about this, so I in turn, believe time will validate my argument.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,213
    Can''t wait for the you have x numbers of disagrees there for you are wrong scenarios

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,629

Helhound said:

Veresh and co. are huge outliers, so designing a system around them is a major mistake. What about people who have ideas that aren't popular, like for example they want unit X over unit Y where Y is some forum darling? They get disagreed into oblivion by a dozen posters who are obsessed with this unit with no need for anyone to explain why and get intimidated into falling in line. Does that sound enjoyable?

This system simply doesn't encourage a healthy forum atmosphere, it instead encourages competition and mob rule.
    How do they get "disagreed with into oblivion"?

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png