Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What race/faction you are according to the warhammer world similarity with our own world?

Comments

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 32,659
    edited April 22
    I decided to make a RL map overlay for the Warhammer map, centered and scaled around Europe-Old World:

Mountains of Mourn would still lineup with the Ural and then melt into the Himilayas.

And Zharr Naggrund would now line up not with Moscow but...Wolgograd AKA Stalingrad.

• Kiwi123Kiwi123 Registered Users Posts: 634
    ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

Kiwi123 said:

I either don't exist, am some form of sea monster, or am part of an (as of yet) undiscovered series of islands.

This is as I live in New Zealand and like many real world maps, the WH world maps completely ignore us.

No way, where in NZ???
    Auckland
    NeoYas said:

I either don't exist, am some form of sea monster, or am part of an (as of yet) undiscovered series of islands.

This is as I live in New Zealand and like many real world maps, the WH world maps completely ignore us.

Then you are from Lumbria.
    NZ is too far south to be Lumbria
    Dunedin
    I liked Dunedin when I was there. City has a very European touch.
    It ain't a bad place tbh. Small enough and Close enough to all the fun things, but big enough that it feels like a city, if you get my meaning
    Yeah exactly. Has quite some fun bars too.

I also liked Auckland since I‘m a big city person and my hometown is quite comparable in size to wider Auckland. But public transportation is just so bad... Auckland really needs a Tram or Subway system. Actually wanted to do my Masters there but then covid happened... 🙄

But my favourite place is still Nelson tbh. Small student town with amazing weather and surrounded by many cool places to see. Got lost there for 3 months because it was so much fun. 😂

Damn I miss NZ.
    If ya come back to dunnaz at some point, hit me up, I'll buy ya a beer
  • RonNLRonNL Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 553
    Really hard to say by I guess empire north of Marienburg.
  • MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 659

Bereaver said:

Kislev is my homeland and I'm proud about it!

It saddens me deeply that already two people in this very thread are ashamed about it for some reason. Kislevites and their real-life inspirations are very cool, both Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Mongolia!

The true Russian counterpart are the Dawi Zharr. Zharr Naggrund is where Moscow would be located.
    I thought it would be Kislev, well you know Kreml and such things

From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)
  • KlausTheKatKlausTheKat Registered Users Posts: 582
    edited April 22
    Geographically I guess this means I am Hengus the Druid. (I'm not quite tall enough to be Bologs or Cachtor)

Bereaver said:

It saddens me deeply that already two people in this very thread are ashamed about it for some reason. Kislevites and their real-life inspirations are very cool, both Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Mongolia!

The true Russian counterpart are the Dawi Zharr. Zharr Naggrund is where Moscow would be located.

Kislev is the old Kievan Rus and Duchy of Moscow. Dawi Zharr represent the Soviet Union.

• sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,760
    edited April 22

I decided to make a RL map overlay for the Warhammer map, centered and scaled around Europe-Old World:

Mountains of Mourn would still lineup with the Ural and then melt into the Himilayas.

And Zharr Naggrund would now line up not with Moscow but...Wolgograd AKA Stalingrad.

That is... a strange thing to do.
    Depending on the scale and propotions of the world maps you are using the overlapps will diverge. Especially as your world map does not include antarctica and cuts off much of the northern regions, but their warhammer equivalents are both present. This results in most of the nothern hemisphere being to stretched and large for ones to even fit the baseline of the WFB.

And even on the first look of the WFB map it is obvious that there are no perfect fits, as this setting is a distorted version of our world, not a 1:1 translation.

And why would you take the geophraic equivalent that literal in the first place?
    If you take it that literal Araby has no counterpart as its submerged in the ocean and nehekrhara does not represent egypt but the central sahara. Same for Ind which spot is also submerged and thus can't be india. Japan also does not exist as a warhammer equivalent because Nippon just covers ocean. Or most of brazil or all the other oceam covered places.

Seriously why would you do such a thing?
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 1,123
    edited April 22
    carlod95 said:

Tilea here, specifically Remas.

Frater Quiris! Where in Rome?
    Ave! Center-west areas of Remas! "Mount Green". You?
    sykall said:

Depending on the scale and propotions of the world maps you are using the overlapps will diverge. Especially as your world map does not include antarctica and cuts off much of the northern regions, but their warhammer equivalents are both present.
    And even on the first look of the WFB map it is obvious that there are no perfect fits, as this setting is a distorted version of our world, not a 1:1 translation.

And why would you take the geophraic equivalent that literal in the first place?
    If you take it that literal Araby has no counterpart as its submerged in the ocean and nehekrhara does not represent egypt but the central sahara. Same for Ind which spot is also submerged and thus can't be india. Japan also does not exist as a warhammer equivalent because Nippon just covers ocean. Or most of brazil or all the other oceam covered places.

Did you miss the part where I said I scaled and centered it to the Old World?

edited April 22

Bereaver said:

Kislev is the old Kievan Rus and Duchy of Moscow. Dawi Zharr represent the Soviet Union.
    How so? All the time I thought that there was some metaphoric in Kilsev and Chaos, like WW2 when Soviet Union endured the main forces of the Reich by taking tremendous casualties. Like Kislev and all their history and a role in the lore.

Bereaver said:

How so? All the time I thought that there was some metaphoric in Kilsev and Chaos, like WW2 when Soviet Union endured the main forces of the Reich by taking tremendous casualties.
    Kislev falls every time Chaos decides to make a major showing.

Bereaver said:

How so? All the time I thought that there was some metaphoric in Kilsev and Chaos, like WW2 when Soviet Union endured the main forces of the Reich by taking tremendous casualties.
    Its a grimdark, thats how the things work there. But still the Kislev was repopulated over and over again, they retreat but dont surender. Same thing emerge in WW2 when half of the war the forces of Soviet Union was pushed back in depth of the country. And also winter which played a big role in the war, not only in ww2 thought.

Bereaver said:

Its a grimdark, thats how the things work there. But still the Kislev was repopulated over and over again, they retreat but dont surender. Same thing emerge in WW2 when half of the war the forces of Soviet Union was pushed back in depth of the country. And also winter which played a big role in the war, not only in ww2 thought.
    That what makes it more of a Duchy of Moscow counterpart, since they also made a poor showing when the Mongols came through.

Also, Kislev is largely rural while the Dawi Zharr are heavily pushing industrialisation.

edited April 22

sykall said:

Depending on the scale and propotions of the world maps you are using the overlapps will diverge. Especially as your world map does not include antarctica and cuts off much of the northern regions, but their warhammer equivalents are both present.

Yeah but the dimensions are then still off, as you missed a huge chunk of antactica and the the norhth pole, leading to an distorted image overall. Your apporach of using the Old World as an equivalent is just not a good fix point for scaling. Most European world maps e.g. are centered around Africa! You know that prominent thing in the middle of every european designed map? If you want to make it equivalent to the Warhammer would you should use the Southlands as a scaling point at the very least. And what was your justification for scaling the old world for europe in the first place. Because I can see a huge chunk of your europe, that is OUTSIDE of the Old World. So if you scaled your map so that the OW fits Europe, you did not accomplish that. And at that point you should have recognized that your reference for scaling must be off.

And then there is still the question WHY you would do something that literal, if everything within Warhammer represents such an approach as non-sensical. The warhammer world is distorted in the first place, so there won't be a 100% fitting overlap between geographical locations. Otherwise it would just be our world but with warhammer factions thrown in. Then we would have the baltics and the arbaian peninusla and the Ural and the Caucasus instead of the WEM and no northern chaos wastes or present landbridges between equivalents Europe, North America and the Far East. The best thing you can do is looking for the best in-universe equivalent by taking warhammers rough geography and the in-universe cultures into context.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
    sykall said:

sykall said:

Yeah but the dimensions are then still off, as you missed a huge chunk of antactica and the the norhth pole, leading to an distorted image overall. Your apporach of using the Old World as an equivalent is just not a good fix point for scaling. Most European world maps e.g. are centered around Africa! You know that prominent thing in the middle of every european designed map? If you want to make it equivalent to the Warhammer would you should use the Southlands as a scaling point at the very least.

And then there is still the question WHY you would do something that literal, if everything within Warhammer represents such an approach as non-sensical. The warhammer world is distorted in the first place, so there won't be a 100% fitting overlap between geographical locations. Otherwise it would just be our world but with warhammer factions thrown in. Then we would have the baltics and the arbaian peninusla and the Ural and the Caucasus instead of the WEM and no northern chaos wastes or present landbridges between equivalents Europe, North America and the Far East. The best thing you can do is looking for the best in-universe equivalent by taking warhammers rough geography and the in-universe cultures into context.
    No, the dimensions are scaled to the OW because that's the most fleshed out part of the map and the one most important to have distances line up correctly since that's where pretty much all of the important stuff happens. That parts of the RL map get cut off is not relevant.

If I, say, scaled and centered it to match RL east-west and north-south boundaries, the WHFB map would end up monstrously oversized and the Empire alone would have the size of the entirety of western continental Europe.

• sasori1548sasori1548 Registered Users Posts: 436
    edited April 22

Where the hell is istanbul is supposed to be here? maybe barak varr since it is somewhat close to the sea? The map is much more warped than i expected to be honest.
    Post edited by sasori1548 on
    edited April 22

sykall said:

sykall said:

Yeah but the dimensions are then still off, as you missed a huge chunk of antactica and the the norhth pole, leading to an distorted image overall. Your apporach of using the Old World as an equivalent is just not a good fix point for scaling. Most European world maps e.g. are centered around Africa! You know that prominent thing in the middle of every european designed map? If you want to make it equivalent to the Warhammer would you should use the Southlands as a scaling point at the very least.

No, the dimensions are scaled to the OW because that's the most fleshed out part of the map and the one most important to have distances line up correctly since that's where pretty much all of the important stuff happens. That parts of the RL map get cut off is not relevant.

If I, say, scaled and centered it to match RL east-west and north-south boundaries, the WHFB map would end up monstrously oversized and the Empire alone would have the size of the entirety of western continental Europe.
    Well you see know, why there is no literal fitting between WFB and our world if you use the same coordinates?

And basing maps out of a certain region, because it is the most fleshed out part, is dumb. The center of european maps is Africa. And the southlands are the main centre on the WFB maps as well, especially to be reminiscent of standard european maps. You cannot scale europe to fantasy europe, just because fantasy europe has more content. That is not how geography or mapmaking works, at least not in a modern sense.
    When outlining the dimensions of continents geography does not care for the content within. Many historic maps showed accurate depictions (for their time) of the continents, and left huge white spots for unknown inner areas, after all. And the cut out parts of the world are even more relevant, because they distort the entire rest of your map structure because you cut them out. Especially as their warhammer equivalents are still there.
    Make at least sure that equator and meridian are at the same place of their equivalent... but there is no meridian in warhammer yet as far as I am aware. And if there would be one, it would probably lie in Ulthuan as the HE are the best seafearers and discovered most of the world. But as ulthuan has no real equivalent, it is impossible to set into context the lothern meridian (if it exists) with the greenwhich meridian. Heck we do not even know if the WFB has the same size as our own.

And even if we ignore the natural distorted dimension of the WFB setting compared to the real world, we have no clue how the WFB map was made. Is it a fixed map by GW crafted with the same care as modern world maps are with GPS and other measuring ways? Or is it the equivalent to 15ths or 16ths century world map that just gave a rough picture of the world?
    I am inclined to think it is the later, especially as several world maps show Cathay in different areas. And other maps show similarly distorted continents. So they appear to have no fixed shape on the map, just a rough one. This means even if you ignore the natural distortion of the WFB world to our own, you are likely comparing the dimensions of a 16th century map with a 21th one.

Can't you see why that may be problematic? And again: Why would you do that in the first place, if the WFB world is distorted in the first place? Especially with the entire in universe content that points to their real world equivalent.
    Post edited by sykall on

Bereaver said:

That what makes it more of a Duchy of Moscow counterpart, since they also made a poor showing when the Mongols came through.

Also, Kislev is largely rural while the Dawi Zharr are heavily pushing industrialisation.
    Well like all dwarfs, still cant pair the lore and aesthetics between Chaos Dwarfs and soviet union. Besides in Kislev they have checkists, hope it will be rewrited thought.

Where the hell is istanbul is supposed to be here? maybe barak varr since it is somewhat close to the sea? The map is much more warped than i expected to be honest.
    Well you are missing the black and caspian sea but got the WEM in their place. So anatolia is really hard to make out. Yeah the best equivalent would be Barak Varr, as the border princes are somewhat akin to the balkan states.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,813
    Kiwi123 said:

ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

Kiwi123 said:

No way, where in NZ???
    Auckland
    NeoYas said:

Dunedin
    It ain't a bad place tbh. Small enough and Close enough to all the fun things, but big enough that it feels like a city, if you get my meaning

I also liked Auckland since I‘m a big city person and my hometown is quite comparable in size to wider Auckland. But public transportation is just so bad... Auckland really needs a Tram or Subway system. Actually wanted to do my Masters there but then covid happened... 🙄

But my favourite place is still Nelson tbh. Small student town with amazing weather and surrounded by many cool places to see. Got lost there for 3 months because it was so much fun. 😂

Damn I miss NZ.
    Sounds like a plan mate!
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Kiwi123Kiwi123 Registered Users Posts: 634
    ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

Kiwi123 said:

No way, where in NZ???
    Auckland
    NeoYas said:

Dunedin

Damn I miss NZ.
    Sounds like a plan mate!
    That goes for @neodeinos too btw
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 805
    edited April 22
    ArneSo said:

I’m a man of the Empire. But not one of those soft southerners, no! I’m from the North. Either Salzenmund or Middenheim geographically depending on how you interpret it.

Northern Empire too! Ostland or Ostermark for me, probably the latter, given the Mark part of the name. Anyway Ost very much fits ;-)
    Post edited by LennoxPoodle on
  • damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 828

Bereaver said:

industrialisation cannot be made with slave economy
    BsFG dwarf
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 805
    Wyvax said:

I live in the Plain of Spiders about twenty miles out from sordid hive of evil called the Pits of Zardok, known in our world as Portland, Oregon. Please send help. Please...

Nice, once got catched by Dark Elves and brought there as part of a "student exchange program". Got put into an institution run by Witch Elves otherwise known as fransiscan nuns.
  • SbygneusSbygneus Registered Users Posts: 994
    edited April 22
    I think I am from Erengard or close to it.

But Sartosan by heart.
  • Sfigatto16Sfigatto16 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Regarding German regions, I was thinking that Sonland is Hungry and Wissendland been Austria.
    The idea of Sonland (Hungry) destroyed by orcs (Turks) and the remanentes be united to Wissenland (Austria) is very similar to what occurred in history.
    I am thinking on this regarding Empire=HRE
    edited April 22

You seem to not know what the early industrial revolution was like for workers. Hint: barely a step above slavery.

If you zoom in, it actually lines up with Karaz-a-Karak. Congratulations! You are a proud Dawi!

@sykall

As I already said, if you orient and scale the RL map to the OW part of the Warhammer world, you get halfway believable distances and dimensions. Even the Grand Bastion then lines up roughly where China's Great Wall is.

• CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,223
    The Great Southern Land aka the absurdly big Southern Wastes,
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,223

I think of it from the perspective of continental drift. Just not sure if WH is our future or our long forgotten past.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    edited April 22

Bereaver said:

You seem to not know what the early industrial revolution was like for workers.

@sykall

As I already said, if you orient and scale the RL map to the OW part of the Warhammer world, you get halfway believable distances and dimensions. Even the Grand Bastion then lines up roughly where China's Great Wall is.
    I think the first point that is being made, is that you have no incentive to get industry if you have a slave driven economy. Because you primarily use machines to replace human labour. However if human labour is extremly cheap, e.g. because of a slave system, the machines to replace them are not worth investing in.
    Europes industrializtion primarly happened because the old feudal system (where people worked for free for their lords) broke up due to the enlightenment and ideas about nation states, citizien rights, capitalism and more. Hence labour became expensive, which meant you had a reason to invest in machines to replace this labour. E.g. the ancient romans were all to familiar with steam machines. They had gimmicks like toys or temple doors that opened when you stepped on a plate in front of them. But too much of thier economy could rely on cheap labour, so there was no incentive to rework these engine to replace humans. That the remaining workers could be treated that horrific in early industrialized societies was primarily because they could easily be replaced, as the value of their labour was so cheap.

And about the map part:
    If you want to overlay maps like you did, you cannot do it freely, because poisition X gives you a good gut feeling. That is not how such things work...

The 101 of map design:
    Two lines are of critical importance; the equator is a line which every sherical body has. Earth has an equator, as has mars, the sun, jupiter. If it is round and spinning, it has an equator. This line is in the middle of the map, the circumference of the planet in question, the line along which the body rotates. If the Warhammer fantasy world is a round planet that spins around its own axis, it has an equator.
    The second line is a meridian. This line is not a natural constant but man-made. E.g. today we use the greenwhich meridian, but a couple of centuries ago you had the paris meridian or other ones, as each country wanted to have its own. That was too confusing, so only the greenwhich meridian is today used. This line runs from the north to the south pole of a sphere and partiates the world into a western and eastern parts on a coordinate system.

All our current worldmaps are structured after this coordniate system, which uses the meridian and the equator as points of measurment. After these two lines all other parts of the world map are designed and adjusted.
    If you want to make an overlay of the WFB world map and the real world, at the very least make sure that you put the equator of the Warhammer map and the real world map in the same place. Otherwise it is not an overlay, as parts of the map will be missing. And if you adjust the maps then, you will have distortions and crazy proportions, as some areas are artifically enlarged or shrunk down. Hence why your Europe looks so absurdly large. (sidenote: Every map has some distortions, as they are projections of a 3d spheric surface unto a 2d rectangle. Thats why Greenland appears almost as large as africa on some maps.)

Of course just equalizing the equator of both maps is not enough. Because you could do so and have north america covering the Old World, if you rotate that map freely into the eastern or western direction. So you must also adjust what is east and west for these maps as well. For this a meridian would be great. If we would know what position the greenwhich meridian in the WFB world would have, we could easily make this overlay. However the warhammer world does not have a meridian at all. So we can never be sure, that our west/east orientation is fitting, when overlaying the maps.

Last but not least: for a perfect overlay you must also check wether the maps have a compatable format or not. A 1:3 ratio map can look strange if you adjust it to a 1:4 map. If you mess up there, no amount of alingment will result in workable maps. And look, you took a rectangle map and tried to project it onto a oval one! That is just wrong.

Does it make sense to be this picky in this topic? No, not really. Beacuse there is no point in overlaying these two maps in the first place. WFB is a fantasy world in which many continents and lands are missing or have a different shape on purpose. And we do not even know how accurate these maps are in-unvierse. As I said they could be equivalent to 16th world maps.
    But you tried anyway. However if you try that, you must do it correctly, and not after a gut feeling. Maps are not designed after a gut feeling. At least not since the medieval ages when people had the gut feeling of Jerusalem being the centre of the world. There are rules about how maps are structured. And slicing pieces off and villy nilly distorting them, because of a gut feeling, is just not okay.
    And please don't make claims like the mountains of mourne being equivalent to the Ural and Caucaus because of that subjective gut feeling, and against these many in-univsere statements that they represent the hindukush, himalaya and other asiatc mountain ranges.