Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

'Brood of the Naga Queens' Fan-Project announcement: Khuresh Concept Art - Sarpa Infantry

xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 924
edited April 2021 in Community Content
I'm here to announce a project that has been in the works. Artwork by Chen Ruo Yu, Cobol Yu (u/Furious_Ming) and writing by 47KingKongRong and myself. A website has been set up to showcase the work done which can be accessed below:

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/warhammer-fan-concept3A-hinterlands-of-khuresh-furious-ming

There is a reddit post as well with full details and a larger picture of the Sarpa Infantry. First artwork below:

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/my7uxl/brood_of_the_naga_queens_fanproject_announcement/

Hope you enjoy!
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,985
    This collaboration is the dream team! Can't wait to see what comes out of this.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let Slip the Dogs of War - A fanmade Campaign Pack concept
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/303462/let-loose-the-dogs-of-war-a-fanmade-campaign-pack-concept
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180
    This look absolutely awesome ! I'm so hyped for the rest !

If I can make one very very pedantic nitpick tho, I think a female Naga is a Nagi, or a Nagini ! And a Nagi queen would be a Nagirani !
  • KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 4,605
    Much power is radiating from this image, I think maybe some people in real life see this and make resurgence of ancient snake cult's.
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    edited April 2021
    Very cool collaboration and very cool art and fanfic-lore.
    I like the idea of Khuresh being a dump for species the Old Ones did not like is interesting. And I like that you included an amazon cameo in the naga backstory defending the last Slann of Khuresh. I always liked the Amazons, and they have great potential to flesh out the warhammer setting, like lustria and maybe southern naggaroth. Espacially if the amazons were reenvisioned to make them more distinct from the already mayincatec Lizardmen.

However on a personal note I would prefer the Naga being fallen and or corrupted Lizardmen, e.g. by a demon of Slaneesh (snake theme) corrupting the spawning pools of Khuresh. If skaven can corrupt the pools leading to mutated lizardmen being spewed out, chaos could potentially do so as well. However that is just my personal preference. Your idea works as well.

Anyway keep up the good work. I am looking forward to what else comes out of this collaboration.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • Ulthuan_VolcanoUlthuan_Volcano Registered Users Posts: 299
    all this looks neat, keep up the good work folks
    http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/ Ulthuan, Home of the Asur. If any high elf player is in the hobby too I would suggest you to check this forum.
  • DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 3,067
    Damn, the Snakemen just went way up in the list of races I want for game 3. Great job!
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,444
    edited April 2021
    Awesome work. Keep it up!!! And do ind after your done.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,144
    sykall said:

And I like that you included an amazon cameo in the naga backstory defending the last Slann of Khuresh. I always liked the Amazons, and they have great potential to flesh out the warhammer setting, like lustria and maybe southern naggaroth. Espacially if the amazons were reenvisioned to make them more distinct from the already mayincatec Lizardmen.

I always thought if they ever revisited the Amazons they should make them more magi-tech themed. Sort of like how the original amazons were still using high tech weapons but more like how it looks like they were moving to more advanced magical artifacts in later editions like their sun staffs and blades in Mordheim. More like Kroq's arm than 40K stuff.

A more neutral faction who were Old One creations but after they left decided to just do their own thing and started utilizing and trying to reverse engineer any and all old one artifacts they can find. Which would explain why the LM tolerate them more than other races bit still get into conflicts with them since they don't care about the Great Plan and have no reservations about looting Old One stuff.
  • SaintCornSaintCorn Registered Users Posts: 2,585
    This looks really good.
    The artwork is really great looking, and the lore is fun to read.
    The unit design of the naga is honestly incredible, and the armor seems really fitting for the setting.
    So, I would really like to see more of this.

• sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    edited April 2021

sykall said:

And I like that you included an amazon cameo in the naga backstory defending the last Slann of Khuresh. I always liked the Amazons, and they have great potential to flesh out the warhammer setting, like lustria and maybe southern naggaroth. Espacially if the amazons were reenvisioned to make them more distinct from the already mayincatec Lizardmen.

I always thought if they ever revisited the Amazons they should make them more magi-tech themed. Sort of like how the original amazons were still using high tech weapons but more like how it looks like they were moving to more advanced magical artifacts in later editions like their sun staffs and blades in Mordheim. More like Kroq's arm than 40K stuff.

A more neutral faction who were Old One creations but after they left decided to just do their own thing and started utilizing and trying to reverse engineer any and all old one artifacts they can find. Which would explain why the LM tolerate them more than other races bit still get into conflicts with them since they don't care about the Great Plan and have no reservations about looting Old One stuff.
    Yeah that could work. My favorite apporach of the amazons would be to combine the already existing amazon lore of them being Old One creations with famous american myths like the Fountain of Youth, and a different native american culture than Maya/aztecs.
    I would prefer the Mapuche as a template for them, who successfully ressited conquest by the spanish for centuries and adopted spanish fighting styles and weapons.

In this the Amazons would still be creations by the Old Ones, protoypes of the later mammilian creations. As such they would be somewhat knowledgeable in using Old One Tech and weapons. And they would be a monosex species which would procreate by eating a special herb or potion, as stated in older warhammer lore.
    However as cuirous warmbloods they would be less stagnating then Lizardmen. So whilst the Amazons could use some Old One tech, they would also adopt different fighting styles to cope for this limited resource.
    Before contact with europeans many native american tribes were in an effective stone age, as metal weapons and tools beyond some bronze items did not exist. However many tribes were very, very quick with adopting iron weapons or gunpowder after the introduction. This would be the case for my vision of the amazons as well. So in a sense, they would reflect the entire tiers of human armaments, from basic wood and stone weapons, to metal, to imported or stolen gunpowder weapons, and lastly futuristic old one tech for the elites.

If you were theng giving them a fighting style which is somewhere in between Wood Elves (Guerilla skirmish) and Beastmen (Guerilla close combat); a guerilla style of warfare but with generalist tones due to their huge weapon arsenal and access to different jungle beasts (e.g culchan riders (terror birds), great cats or sabretooths cats and maybe something like sasquatches or gorillas), and some cool gimmicks or machines and they would be an very cool and adaptive force. At least in my opinion.

Fun Fact: The amazonan river got his name supposedly after europeans encountered native american warrior women when exploring the region. Putting the Amazons into Lustria is a nice nod for these stories.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 8,230
    Looks good but I'd prefer a less stooped posture, I think the Naga should look regal with heads held high.
  • Aragorn94Aragorn94 Registered Users Posts: 10
    edited April 2021
    Hey Nice work! I'm Big fan of Cobol Yu's work I'm the final product will be amazing. I'll just copy/paste an older post I made on a Kuresh thread, to contribute with some ideas, I'm also in for the corrupted lizardmen idea.

Khuresh being on the far south-east peninsula of the Warhammer World could relate it somehow to Lustria, just like the Southlands where once connected to it, however, unlike Lustria and the Southlands, the lizardmen on Lustria where left on their own when all the Slann where killed off by a huge host of Chaos forces that invaded from the southern wastes. With their last breath, the Slann managed to cut off the Southern Wastes from the rest of the world using their magic, thus creating the gates of Calith in the process and severing the Far East from Lustria as well. Separated from the rest of the world and leaderless, these remaining lizardmen fell back to their last remaining hold on the lands now known as Khuresh, the Lost City of the Old Ones, whose true name has been long forgotten. However, without the guidance of the Slann and their protection, these lizardmen soon fell prey to the corruption of Chaos and savagery. Desperate, the primitive lizardmen turned to a new deity, Sotek, the snake god. Sotek's teachings and the practice of its twisted blood magic (could be their unique Lore of Blood), warped the lizardmen and soon they became the avatars of the bloodthirsty snake-god, the snakemen of Khuresh.

With this setting there is enough to flesh out the snakeman as their own unique race, with some relation to Tehenhauin, it would be basically a what will happen to the rest of the Lizardmen if the Slann and their worship of the Old Ones is replaced by the cult of Sotek, and would develop the snake god to be something akin to the Great Horned Rat, a Chaos God not afilliated with the main 4 Chaos Gods and with his own agenda, to corrupt the lizardmen and gorge on the blood of the remaining mortal races of the world. Unlike the sacrifice mechanic for the Cult of Sotek, the sacrifice theme would be central for the snakemen, it would be needed to unlock higher tier units, techtrees and to power up their unique Lore of Magic in battle, with access to their more powerfull spells the more units are killed in battle, so, the longer the battle lasts, the more powerfull their spellcasting units and LL's would be. This could offer some unique focus for their campaign as well, they could have some form of unique vassal diplomacy choice, to enslave other factions to gain a constant supply of sacrifice foder, or to corrupt the traditional lizardmen factions and kill their slann leaders to assimilate them into your empire, with the obvious first choice being Tehenhauin, etc.

Now, I know that there's a general consensus that thinks that Sotek is an Old One, however I always felt that Sotek's thirst for blood and ask for sacrifices doesn't fit with that idea and started to play around with it being a minor chaos god like The Horned Rat and a rival to it, hence it's liking on Skaven sacrifices.

Edit. - Though they should be unable to use cavalry of any kind (they have no legs) you HAVE to use this as inspiration for a chariot concept art.

Post edited by Aragorn94 on
  • Aman3712Aman3712 Registered Users Posts: 661
    Having a race like this in Warhammer 3 would honestly be a huge dream come true; especially in terms of fleshing out the Far East even more! XD

Though I wonder what their general playstyle would be like
  • Ben1990Ben1990 Registered Users Posts: 1,669
    Makes me wanna play snake people...
    Since experimentation seems to be a pretty huge part of the culture/motivations, it would be really cool if the Snakemen had some kind of hero unit that kinda represented that in some shape or form; perhaps a unique spellcaster who specializes in providing buffs to the abominations mentioned in lore writen for them!
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,633
    edited April 2021

This is so dope, I'm convinced that Furious Ming's artwork was the driving factor behind Cathay awareness and what got GW to reinvest in it if this becomes a reality I'll flip!
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

• DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 9,914
    Out of Ind, Khuresh, Cathay and Nippon...the one I wanted most before WH3 was announced was Khuresh. Theres a lot can do with it there.

Now, if only these same artists could do Albion!

The snakemen hype is real XD
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,633
    @xBlood_Raven This post is going to get buried and forgotten in this part of the forum I fear, how about linking it in your signature and adding something whenever an update occurs? Just a suggestion mind you.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

• xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 924
    Wyvax said:

@xBlood_Raven This post is going to get buried and forgotten in this part of the forum I fear, how about linking it in your signature and adding something whenever an update occurs? Just a suggestion mind you.

That's a really good idea, going to do it now (never done a signature on the forum so hopefully I get it correct).
    I'm also really interested to see what kind of monserious units you have planned for their roster as well. I can honestly imagine some kind monstrous naga infantry in the same vain as Kroxigors, or possibly even a large single entity serpent with multiple heads XD
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 924
    Aman3712 said:

I'm also really interested to see what kind of monserious units you have planned for their roster as well. I can honestly imagine some kind monstrous naga infantry in the same vain as Kroxigors, or possibly even a large single entity serpent with multiple heads XD

You'll see, we have some really decent artwork to show!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file