Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Question about the ice witch artwork

2»

Comments

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 32,542
    maccabbee said:

Take it with a sack of salt. Does that look like a fantasy russian to you? Even if it is official, the RPG has lots of things that are commonly not presented in other WH media such as brown skinned imperials from either Araby or Tilea, dwarfs and sometimes elfs in the imperial army, and so on. The purpose of the RPG is giving a lot of options for roleplay after all.
    But in the wargame setting of the main tabletop and by extension TWWH, things are going to be a lot more consistent.

A fantasy Russian could have checkered red and purple skin for all I care. That's why it's fantasy, you see.

• aMint1aMint1 Registered Users Posts: 954

aMint1 said:

aMint1 said:

The artwork is really cool. Hopefully it becomes official.

It also has the lovely benefit of outting all the real 'Gamers™'.

Well it will be great, if they add her as named character, but would be weird if half of ice witches will look like that.
    I'd be happy either way. Looks very ice-witchy. Works as a named character or generic hero. Though I guess CA's generic heroes don't always get the most amazing in game models - which would be a real shame in this instance.
    The only thing I dont like, its braid. Its not slavic style, its more generic, like she some kind of viking. One long one would be better, imho.
    Maybe it's ice-witch style rather than Kislev style.
  • MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 653
    aMint1 said:

aMint1 said:

aMint1 said:

Well it will be great, if they add her as named character, but would be weird if half of ice witches will look like that.
    I'd be happy either way. Looks very ice-witchy. Works as a named character or generic hero. Though I guess CA's generic heroes don't always get the most amazing in game models - which would be a real shame in this instance.
    The only thing I dont like, its braid. Its not slavic style, its more generic, like she some kind of viking. One long one would be better, imho.
    Maybe it's ice-witch style rather than Kislev style.
    Ice witches is Kislev, Kislev is ice witches!
    From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)
    I mean, we have fantasy-Aztecs which are outright lizard people, we have fantasy Babylonians which are tusked dwarfs and we have fantasy London East-enders which are green-skinned fungus men. I can live with a witch working for fantasy Russia that isn't a bleached albino.

• AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,093

aMint1 said:

aMint1 said:

It's probably along the lines of traditional Bulgarian Braids

https://www.google.com/search?q=bulgarian++braids&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwit--ekip7wAhVW44UKHWFTCRUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=bulgarian++braids&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DGRljGRmDdSmgAcAB4AIABNYgBNZIBATGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=LdWHYO2wMNbGlwThpqWoAQ&bih=937&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB896GB896

Kislev is a mish-mash of a lot of cultures - including Eastern European.
    The wiki is not a grounds for arguing about lore - because ANYONE can edit it at any time.

I mean, we have fantasy-Aztecs which are outright lizard people, we have fantasy Babylonians which are tusked dwarfs and we have fantasy London East-enders which are green-skinned fungus men. I can live with a witch working for fantasy Russia that isn't a bleached albino.

In russia we not bleached at all.

aMint1 said:

aMint1 said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bulgarian++braids&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwit--ekip7wAhVW44UKHWFTCRUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=bulgarian++braids&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DGRljGRmDdSmgAcAB4AIABNYgBNZIBATGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=LdWHYO2wMNbGlwThpqWoAQ&bih=937&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB896GB896

LONGER! Want it to be longer.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,215

aMint1 said:

aMint1 said:

We are pretty slavic

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,086
    The purple lipstick is kind of weird in my humble opinion. And I can see where both sides are coming from when it comes to the skin color.

The middle ground would be something like she’s a unique model, and not the generic witch model.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• Thedeathby2Thedeathby2 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Leave it to the Gamers(TM) to get **** that a fantasy country has non-white people in it. As Romoboy said, she's probably just a single unique model considering that most of Kislev (at least what we've seen from the trailer) is white.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,041
    Thankfully, the art appears to be a commission made for a private collector.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 27,618

The thing is this is a commission, so it has to be viewed in that context.

This is not -as far as we know- an official artwork for anything. Companies like CA do not commission pieces then allow the art to be posted until after they have shown it themselves. It's literally a piece of art someone paid their hard earned money for. That fact alone renders this entire debate essentially meaningless. People are arguing over something that for all intents and purposes has no connection to the game.

All criticism of it is effectively moot unless you're the person who paid for it.

You too boring! Lets fight!
    Haha
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 11,240
    ROMOBOY said:

The purple lipstick is kind of weird in my humble opinion. And I can see where both sides are coming from when it comes to the skin color.

The middle ground would be something like she’s a unique model, and not the generic witch model.

Ice blue or even white lipstick would probably look cooler and all I'm going to say about the skin colour is that it doesn't strike me as a Kislevite.

edited April 27
    Neodeinos said:

ROMOBOY said:

Ice blue or even white lipstick would probably look cooler and all I'm going to say about the skin colour is that it doesn't strike me as a Kislevite.
    Maybe she's exchange student.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,818
    Neodeinos said:

ROMOBOY said:

Legit though, if that makeup was just less garish or completely absent, the Ice Witch art would just look like Daenerys with a skiers tan. It's the one thing that's throwing people off the most.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,232
    You get this skintone if you live in areas were snow lays forever you get tanned from the reflecting sun.

You could say "why arent Nordic people with brown skintone?" because in skandinavia its very dark all year long and you need the white skin for getting Vitamin D from the sunlight.

some people gave the water bender tribes from avatar as example which is absolutetly fitting.

The kurgans who live in the chaos wastes are also dark skinned because they live in the polar regions with constant snow.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 11,240
    Wyvax said:

Neodeinos said:

ROMOBOY said:

Legit though, if that makeup was just less garish or completely absent, the Ice Witch art would just look like Daenerys with a skiers tan. It's the one thing that's throwing people off the most.
    I also always imagined the Ice Witches with a really pale skin because y'know pale skin would makes you think of the coldness of the ice.

• AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 6,870

Leave it to the Gamers(TM) to get **** that a fantasy country has non-white people in it. As Romoboy said, she's probably just a single unique model considering that most of Kislev (at least what we've seen from the trailer) is white.

Unsurprising really.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.
  • maccabbeemaccabbee Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    edited April 27
    Katarin herself is an ice witch lest you people forget. Also the female archer I posted on the first thread is an ungol nomad archer and she looks nothing like that sub-saharan african we have here.

Also, the Kurgans are based on Conan the Barbarian stereotypes, not just "people with a tan". The Hung/Mung are also based on eurasians like the kipchaks and avars, and maybe even the xiongnu in asia. None of them would also look like this person.
    edited April 27

maccabbee said:

Take it with a sack of salt. Does that look like a fantasy russian to you? Even if it is official, the RPG has lots of things that are commonly not presented in other WH media such as brown skinned imperials from either Araby or Tilea, dwarfs and sometimes elfs in the imperial army, and so on. The purpose of the RPG is giving a lot of options for roleplay after all.
    But in the wargame setting of the main tabletop and by extension TWWH, things are going to be a lot more consistent.

A fantasy Russian could have checkered red and purple skin for all I care. That's why it's fantasy, you see.

A fantasy russian is a russian stereotype blown into exagerration, which is the entirety of WH Fantasy, which is why Kislev has babushka hags, bear cavalry, miserable people dying in the cold, funny hats, funny cossack hair styles, ice queens, bardiche axes, etc.
    Only thing missing are units doing that funny squat dance when idling.

Oh and vodka. Lots and lots of vodka. Maybe some references to borscht too.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 5,940
    Oh good we have the racism thread back, filled with people who are unaware about ethnic groups and race. I mean seriously you have **** like:
    maccabbee said:

nothing like that sub-saharan african we have here.

Congratulations you don't know what people from Africa look like.

@dge1 @BillyRuffian @Canuovea please just burn this thread to the ground.

Oh good we have the racism thread back, filled with people who are unaware about ethnic groups and race. I mean seriously you have **** like:

maccabbee said:

nothing like that sub-saharan african we have here.

Congratulations you don't know what people from Africa look like.

@dge1 @BillyRuffian @Canuovea please just burn this thread to the ground.
    Good, because this thread and that pic which is obviously a commission for some guy's RP group for the WHF tabletop RPG has absolutely nothing to do with Total War Warhammer 3™ being developed by CA and produced by SEGA, and a complete waste of everyone's time.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 3,746
    2 threads and 8 pages and some people still cannot accept that most of the people living in the northnern parts of the World are tanned. It's a basic consequence of snow reflecting sunlight.
    Just look at Saamis or Nenets peoples, they have the exact same skin tone as the artwork, and they all live in western Russia. Kislev also have fantasy-mongol and fantasy-siberian ancestry, and they are also tanned, look at Buryat peoples for exemple. Russians too.

Honestly, if you wanna complain about strange skin tone, the real problem is how pinky pale chaos warriors are ! Given the chaos wastes climate, Kurgan, Hungs and most basic tribes that makes marauders should be copper-skinned in game.
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
    Maelas said:

Honestly, if you wanna complain about strange skin tone, the real problem is how pinky pale chaos warriors are ! Given the chaos wastes climate, Kurgan, Hungs and most basic tribes that makes marauders should be copper-skinned in game.

That's because chaos warriors right now are sharing models with norscans. Wait, if ever, CA adds Kurgans, Hung or Mung but I really doubt that will ever happen since we still have Chorfs, Ogres, and Nagash on the waiting list.
    maccabbee said:

maccabbee said:

A fantasy russian is a russian stereotype blown into exagerration, which is the entirety of WH Fantasy, which is why Kislev has babushka hags, bear cavalry, miserable people dying in the cold, funny hats, funny cossack hair styles, ice queens, bardiche axes, etc.

But you are OK with lizard Atzecs, huh?

edited April 27

maccabbee said:

maccabbee said:

Yes because a lot of dinosaur fossils were found in mesoamerica and not to mention that skinks also speak in hilarious, almost disgustingly racist, spanish accents and would probably be bad for most sensitive people if skinks weren't so utterly silly looking. See, racial stereotypes work if you go full ham and embrace it just like how Bretonnian knights are all snobby pompous frenchmen and Greenskins are British football hooligans. However, dark skinned russians? I don't care if that's meant to be realistic, but kislev is meant to be a parody of slavic peoples, which is why this person is so out of place.
    maccabbee said:

maccabbee said:

maccabbee said:

Yes because a lot of dinosaur fossils were found in mesoamerica and not to mention that skinks also speak in hilarious, almost disgustingly racist, spanish accents and would probably be bad for most sensitive people if skinks weren't so utterly silly looking.
    If you hear Spanish accents out of the Skinks that says more about you than their design.

Also, if you can excuse lizard aztecs you have no leg to stand on complaining about tan Kislevites.

edited April 27

maccabbee said:

maccabbee said:

maccabbee said:

Yes because a lot of dinosaur fossils were found in mesoamerica and not to mention that skinks also speak in hilarious, almost disgustingly racist, spanish accents and would probably be bad for most sensitive people if skinks weren't so utterly silly looking.
    If you hear Spanish accents out of the Skinks that says more about you than their design.

Also, if you can excuse lizard aztecs you have no leg to stand on complaining about tan Kislevites.
    Skinks literally say HOLA SKINKS.

Also, read my last paragraph. It's all about consistency in the setting.

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,086
    @FungusHound

Since this thread is gonna evaporate anyway, don’t think that I forgot about the dlc I owe you.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,735
    Closed.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
This discussion has been closed.