Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So rome remastered is out

Comments

• GreenColoured#2445GreenColoured#2445 Registered Users Posts: 6,960
    Wyvax said:

And it has Mixed Reviews already, I am fan of Rome era but I dunno remastering was mehhh they should have done Medieval or Shogun 2.

Roll on WH3 news now.

I looked through those out of curiosity, all those negative reviews are from old fans that insist on nitpicking the graphical updates, UI style, usage of modern TW controls or complaining about price. It's pretty funny to read but there's literally no complaints about actual gameplay.

On the flip side of the coin, it's just as hilarious to read the posts of a bunch of people that have no interest in Rome (which is fine) yet insist on trash talking it for merely existing. It's like y'all don't want other people to have nice things.

Thankfully between the old grognards that complain about insignificant changes, and the young bloods that only appreciate the flashy, vapid and new; there's a silent majority of players that are just happy to be playing good TW games and reveling in the memes they generate, whether that's Warhammer or Rome: Remastered, and that's the base that CA is targeting. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to fight the Gauls. Gods... I hate Gauls.
    Yep silent majority. All 12 of you
  • NeoYasNeoYas Registered Users Posts: 969
    My precious newz...
  • Bonutz#3949Bonutz#3949 Registered Users Posts: 5,763

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • Mazisky#3267Mazisky#3267 Registered Users Posts: 1,232
    Masarius said:

Should have done Medieval 2 remaster, which would have actually filled an open spot or could have been used as bridge for future projects.

Why remaster Med2 when Med3 looks like it's going to be the next big historical title?

Because it is a marketing move to get people into Medieval before release of Medieval 3.

The same happened with Age of Empires 2\3 remasters to hype Age of Empires 4.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,256

Wyvax said:

And it has Mixed Reviews already, I am fan of Rome era but I dunno remastering was mehhh they should have done Medieval or Shogun 2.

Roll on WH3 news now.

I looked through those out of curiosity, all those negative reviews are from old fans that insist on nitpicking the graphical updates, UI style, usage of modern TW controls or complaining about price. It's pretty funny to read but there's literally no complaints about actual gameplay.

On the flip side of the coin, it's just as hilarious to read the posts of a bunch of people that have no interest in Rome (which is fine) yet insist on trash talking it for merely existing. It's like y'all don't want other people to have nice things.

Thankfully between the old grognards that complain about insignificant changes, and the young bloods that only appreciate the flashy, vapid and new; there's a silent majority of players that are just happy to be playing good TW games and reveling in the memes they generate, whether that's Warhammer or Rome: Remastered, and that's the base that CA is targeting. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to fight the Gauls. Gods... I hate Gauls.
    Yep silent majority. All 12 of you
    You may have Moonclaw speculation on your side, but we have lovely memes! Those memes shall shield us from your fearsome reeees!
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927

I spent hundreds of hours in rome 1 as a kid and I have no interest in the remaster and its easy why.

Because they didnt change enough in the remaster to make it playworthy for me, and the easiest part to remaster would be Campaign map and it still looks extremely bland.

And yes Warhammer 3 news next week plz!

The only possible saving grace would be the devs unlocking the hard count limit on factions, settlements and units. As is, Medieval 2 and Rome had programmed in a limited number of units, factions and settlements the game could have. If they remove that limit, the sky's the limit for modding.

Let's hope that turns out true.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • RockNRolla92#9743RockNRolla92#9743 Registered Users Posts: 2,294
    edited April 2021
    Crossil said:

I spent hundreds of hours in rome 1 as a kid and I have no interest in the remaster and its easy why.

Because they didnt change enough in the remaster to make it playworthy for me, and the easiest part to remaster would be Campaign map and it still looks extremely bland.

The only possible saving grace would be the devs unlocking the hard count limit on factions, settlements and units. As is, Medieval 2 and Rome had programmed in a limited number of units, factions and settlements the game could have. If they remove that limit, the sky's the limit for modding.

I believe they did it, or are looking at it
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,566

Crossil said:

Nope they did it.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Schub#9514Schub#9514 Registered Users Posts: 1,620
    ArneSo said:

makar55 said:

Remastering games that old with the simple touch ups it got seems absolutely pointless, not enough to make it that much of an improvement over the originals

It's a cheap cash grab and nothing else.
    Taking a whole month for marketing was still way to much.
    Let's rather say 'marketing'. Even CA did not produce that much marketing content for this game. I was expecting more. But nevertheless the whole month was blocked for it.

• Ninaran#8122Ninaran#8122 Registered Users Posts: 554
    edited April 2021

Roll on WH3 news now.

I mean, looking at the reviews (don't just look at the aggregated value on top), most of them are utterly stupid. Not downloading the UHD Texture Pack and complaining about graphics.. Complaining about AI when it was known that the AI would not be updated.. Complaining about lack of Co-op when that was literally never a thing in R:TW.. Troll reviews à la "First negative! XD"..

There's obviously genuine criticism there as well. The UI is bad. There were also technical issues with it not recognizing the most recent Windows version but that got fixed within like an hour (too late of course since the reviews were already out).

It's by no means a masterpiece and people were hyping themselves up way too much. It's R:TW with a new coat of paint. With all its up- AND downsides.

It sits on a 77 on Metacritic and that seems totally fair. It's a 15€ remaster made by a different company and not CA. Not a 60€ AAA title by a major development studio. It costs less than either just Wood Elves or Beastmen.
  • DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member PragueRegistered Users Posts: 1,460
    Geeez guys. It is not like Rome remaster blocked Wh3/Wh2 content for a month. Without Rome remaster, there would not be any more Wh news in meantime.... :D

His Royal Highness, Phoenix King Finubar!

"It has been too long since I drew a blade in anger, Tyrion. You have been my sword, and Teclis has been my shield. But now it is time I fought my own battles!"
  • Lunaticprince#9972Lunaticprince#9972 Registered Users Posts: 6,908
    JungleElf said:

It would have been 3 months of nothing. My God, I'm thirsty for news. Can't wait to see the first 1-2 rosters, and hopefully a glimpse of the map in june.

I'm funnily enough even more curious about the WH2 DLC match-up, but that one will take even longer.

DUDE, I mean next week the trailer of WH3 is 3 months old!

Come one that long enough especially for a game that they plan to release end of the year.

• JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 6,502

JungleElf said:

It would have been 3 months of nothing. My God, I'm thirsty for news. Can't wait to see the first 1-2 rosters, and hopefully a glimpse of the map in june.

I'm funnily enough even more curious about the WH2 DLC match-up, but that one will take even longer.

Come one that long enough especially for a game that they plan to release end of the year.

But what if it will take even longer? 🤣

I'd probably succumb to the thirst.
  • Schub#9514Schub#9514 Registered Users Posts: 1,620
    edited April 2021
    Daruwind said:

Geeez guys. It is not like Rome remaster blocked Wh3/Wh2 content for a month. Without Rome remaster, there would not be any more Wh news in meantime.... :D

I think you are right but here is a conspiracy theory:

What if the development part was not refering to Warhammer 3 but to the Rome Remaster? Maybe they didn't know by that time whether they can release it on time (in april) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 38,054
    Daruwind said:

Doubtful. CA doesn’t advertise 2 things at the same time so it was clear that we won’t hear anything until Rome Re is out of the way.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Lunaticprince#9972Lunaticprince#9972 Registered Users Posts: 6,908
    JungleElf said:

JungleElf said:

As you see on my Post, i will DIE! Next week.

There is no saving me after it!

• Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 38,054

JungleElf said:

JungleElf said:

As you see on my Post, i will DIE! Next week.

There is no saving me after it!
    Next week is the week! They can’t wait any longer.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Sheikh_Nimr#9382Sheikh_Nimr#9382 Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaRegistered Users Posts: 1,723
    Pretty expensive for what it's offering, but it has also made the obnoxiously entitled Warhammer crowd quite salty, which is a huge plus in my book.

• Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,759

Pretty expensive for what it's offering, but it has also made the obnoxiously entitled Warhammer crowd quite salty, which is a huge plus in my book.

Ok.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
    I don't think it ever mattered.

TWW3 is the big fish. Others make way for it. Not the other way round.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
    edited April 2021
    JungleElf said:

JungleElf said:

Does it matter? We'll have to wait till the end of the year for the release regardless.
  • Sheikh_Nimr#9382Sheikh_Nimr#9382 Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaRegistered Users Posts: 1,723

They complained about the upcoming lord pack, not WH3.

You can't summarise a 'group' of people with those two words. Reality is far more nuanced, and far more boring:
    - There are fans of both.
    - There are many who care about one part, but are content for the other to get something. Or don't really care about different stuff.
    - There are those not on the Total War social media.

Also, those thinking Rome is a 'cashgrab' get downvoted here of all places; the most fanatic branch of the Warhammer Total War community.

So get your own obnoxious derrière out of here.
    JungleElf said:

You can't summarise a 'group' of people with those two words. Reality is far more nuanced, and far more boring:
    - There are fans of both.
    - There are many who care about one part, but are content for the other to get something. Or don't really care about different stuff.
    - There are those not on the Total War social media.

Also, those thinking Rome is a 'cashgrab' get downvoted here of all places; the most fanatic branch of the Warhammer Total War community.

So get your own obnoxious derrière out of here.
    You think here is the most fanatic place of the WH community? Riiight... Anyway, I thought it was obvious, but let me clarify for those without a great command of the English language. I wasn't referring to the entirety of the Warhammer players. Also, no need to be so salty.

• DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member PragueRegistered Users Posts: 1,460

Wh is big fish but CA will not bet everything on single fish. That is usually high way to hell because sooner or later something might flop.

Healthy is to have spread portfolio even if not all items are bringing similar income.

Older games, remasters... are essential as they are bringing small but steady income over many years without too much work. This remaster is great move from Feral/CA.

His Royal Highness, Phoenix King Finubar!

"It has been too long since I drew a blade in anger, Tyrion. You have been my sword, and Teclis has been my shield. But now it is time I fought my own battles!"
  • Helhound#7332Helhound#7332 Registered Users Posts: 5,374
    A large part of the sale of a prodict is expectation. Here, I think people's expectations were wildly off base.

It is not the next historical title. It is not Rome 3. It is not a complete remake of Rome:Total War. To really allow for accurate expectations, all that was needed was a quick overview of the original RTW, then scale it up graphically as much as 20 year old mesh and textures will allow. Ever so slight tweaks to mechanics as afforded by the engine, the ability to play it with current gen tech, and a trip down memory lane was all we were ever going to see. If Rome: Total War wasn't worth your time a month ago, this update will not change that, and it probably should sit at a comfortable 60-70% review.
    saweendra said:

Crossil said:

Nope they did it.
    Even better!
    Daruwind said:

Wh is big fish but CA will not bet everything on single fish. That is usually high way to hell because sooner or later something might flop.

Healthy is to have spread portfolio even if not all items are bringing similar income.

Older games, remasters... are essential as they are bringing small but steady income over many years without too much work. This remaster is great move from Feral/CA.
    Yeah they even have a note on Sega's yearly basically saying that whilst CA are doing fantastic the risk of a main game title failing would be hugely impactful suggesting they need to diversify

Daruwind said:

Yeah they even have a note on Sega's yearly basically saying that whilst CA are doing fantastic the risk of a main game title failing would be hugely impactful suggesting they need to diversify
    Exactly this. It's too much a risk to put all eggs in one basket.
  • eomat#7953eomat#7953 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    I'm a bit worried CA are putting out too many Total Wars. People might get a bit saturated.