Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Something about the Chaos Wastes that you MAY not know

1234568»

Comments

• LordSolarMach#5538LordSolarMach#5538 Registered Users Posts: 2,297

I haven't seen a single person make this argument. Not a single person.

Among the many threads bringing up the new Hedonites range there'd often be comments about how they looked too lightly dressed for the north.

(I recall specifically pointing out (as someone pretty neutral-to-against their inclusion), to play devil's advocate, that the WHFB Marauders' leather-strap-couture wasn't exactly arctic wear itself.)

• Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,131

I haven't seen a single person make this argument. Not a single person.

Among the many threads bringing up the new Hedonites range there'd often be comments about how they looked too lightly dressed for the north.

(I recall specifically pointing out (as someone pretty neutral-to-against their inclusion), to play devil's advocate, that the WHFB Marauders' leather-strap-couture wasn't exactly arctic wear itself.)

Ahhh that's fair. I'll happily concede that then.

Still, seems like more of a criticism against their general look, which I'd put in the wholly valid territory.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla Forum Terms & Conditions I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,205

Wyvax said:

1) Who exactly is claiming that the Chaos Wastes = snowy climate? ... [...]

2) This is in regard to the AoS model designs and the old WFB model designs. We're getting monogods now, meaning ... [...] units will need some clear visual distinction... [...] So why are we suggesting body builders in sauna towels to represent Tzeentch and generic middle eastern harem girls to represent Slaanesh?

@Wyvax On your point the-first, I believe the OP is refuting the notion that the Hedonites of Slaanesh's newer warm weather apparel doesn't fit people from the frigid north, which is definitely an argument that has been put forward on this board.

On your point the-second, I'm confused. You stress that the monogod forces will need to be vastly different in look, but then dismiss the possibility of using the current models to do so. It seems contradictory.
    My second point was that the current AoS mortal models stand out from the typical marauders, but in the wrong way. They are far too clean and normal looking, which is fine for the different and near-infinite planes/realms of AoS where entire civilizations can exist worshipping the Chaos gods, but the look runs contrary to everything that's been established about the corruptive nature of the Chaos Wastes in traditional Warhammer fantasy. Mortal forces that rub shoulders with daemons on a daily basis should be mutated and twisted on a basic level, not Forsaken levels of mutated, but still obviously warped by Chaos energies. The Kairic Acolytes and Blissbarbs buck two decades of an established design trend wherein the more exposed to chaos a mortal is, the more twisted they are. So I much prefer the designs in the images @TheGuardianOfMetal and @Red_Dox posted for that reason. I should point out that the same problem doesn't exist for the AoS Khorne and Nurgle warriors, who still follow the design trends set forth in traditional WFB.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180
    Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

2) This is in regard to the AoS model designs and the old WFB model designs. We're getting monogods now, meaning ... [...] units will need some clear visual distinction... [...] So why are we suggesting body builders in sauna towels to represent Tzeentch and generic middle eastern harem girls to represent Slaanesh?

@Wyvax On your point the-first, I believe the OP is refuting the notion that the Hedonites of Slaanesh's newer warm weather apparel doesn't fit people from the frigid north, which is definitely an argument that has been put forward on this board.

On your point the-second, I'm confused. You stress that the monogod forces will need to be vastly different in look, but then dismiss the possibility of using the current models to do so. It seems contradictory.
    My second point was that the current AoS mortal models stand out from the typical marauders, but in the wrong way. They are far too clean and normal looking, which is fine for the different and near-infinite planes/realms of AoS where entire civilizations can exist worshipping the Chaos gods, but the look runs contrary to everything that's been established about the corruptive nature of the Chaos Wastes in traditional Warhammer fantasy. Mortal forces that rub shoulders with daemons on a daily basis should be mutated and twisted on a basic level, not Forsaken levels of mutated, but still obviously warped by Chaos energies. The Kairic Acolytes and Blissbarbs buck two decades of an established design trend wherein the more exposed to chaos a mortal is, the more twisted they are. So I much prefer the designs in the images @TheGuardianOfMetal and @Red_Dox posted for that reason. I should point out that the same problem doesn't exist for the AoS Khorne and Nurgle warriors, who still follow the design trends set forth in traditional WFB.
    Yeah, that's a very good point right there. For Chaos followers, they look too clean and orderly. Slaanesh is excess, Tzeentch is change. Slaanesh is beauty and Tzeentch is deceit. Yet it doesn't translate in their design !

Ironically, they are almost too simple, basic, one-note and sleek, despite AoS often being over-designed. Tzeentch and Slaanesh requires very charged designs, they requires complex fashion, ornaments, mutations, they requires to be "too much" because that's what defines them, compared to the more streamlined Khorne and Nurgle !

The Kairite Acolytes and the Slaangor have this in common. They looks proper, they look boring.

Like just compare this :

and this :

One is more fitting of a God of Change and Magic !

• OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,211
    Dark Elves and Marauders are well known to run around the frigid North butt naked, I'm sure that the Hedonites of Slaansh would not be taking weather into account.
    Wyvax said:

I should point out that the same problem doesn't exist for the AoS Khorne and Nurgle warriors, who still follow the design trends set forth in traditional WFB.

That's because both Khorne and Nurgle already got an image update in 8th edition and generally where always kept more up to date.

Slaanesh and Tzeentch on the other hand rarely if ever received special models to dictate their look.
  • apophas123#5539apophas123#5539 Registered Users Posts: 229
    Maelas said:

Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

Yeah, that's a very good point right there. For Chaos followers, they look too clean and orderly. Slaanesh is excess, Tzeentch is change. Slaanesh is beauty and Tzeentch is deceit. Yet it doesn't translate in their design !

Ironically, they are almost too simple, basic, one-note and sleek, despite AoS often being over-designed. Tzeentch and Slaanesh requires very charged designs, they requires complex fashion, ornaments, mutations, they requires to be "too much" because that's what defines them, compared to the more streamlined Khorne and Nurgle !

The Kairite Acolytes and the Slaangor have this in common. They looks proper, they look boring.

Like just compare this :

and this :

Do you have official images of marauders from fantasy tzeentch?
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,464
    edited May 2021

Maelas said:

Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

Like just compare this :

and this :

Damn. They look exactly the same. WHFB style is really undistinguishable from AoS.

-----Red Dox
  • ScreamimgEnvyScreamimgEnvy Registered Users Posts: 912
    Red_Dox said:

Maelas said:

Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

Like just compare this :

and this :

Damn. They look exactly the same. WHFB style is really undistinguishable from AoS.

-----Red Dox
    Errrr... that's all Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning stuff, a MMO from another software house.
    Team Monogods - #JusticeForTzeentch

Maelas said:

I believe the OP is refuting the notion that the Hedonites of Slaanesh's newer warm weather apparel doesn't fit people from the frigid north, which is definitely an argument that has been put forward on this board.

To be fair, unless Hedonites live in a very specific part of the Chaos Wastes that is both desertic and not ever-changing, the point is moot either way. Basing designs on climate in Warhammer is whack anyways, Chaos and Druchiis live in the colder parts of the world and are the ones wearing the less clothing !

But, truth be told, I don't feel like this is a very wide-spread critic of Hedonites. There is a lot of more sensical and logical arguments against their inclusion.
    This whole argument about sensical and logical outfits/armors is getting hilarious.

We are going to invade the Realm of Chaos, the homeworld of the Chaos Gods where every "Order" dude will end corrupted, mutated and spiritually obliterated to say the least... with freaking bears and chinese soldiers.
    If GW is allowing this unbelievable scenario then i'm 100% sure the clothes of some Slaanesh and Tzeentch followers , already existing on the TT game as models and arts, is not even the smallest piece of the smallest piece of the last and least relative of their thoughts.

• Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,464
    edited May 2021

Red_Dox said:

Maelas said:

Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

Like just compare this :

and this :

-----Red Dox
    Errrr... that's all Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning stuff, a MMO from another software house.
    So the official GW sanctioned art from "not GW", is out of the question? So things like Fantasy Flight (RPG, Cardgame) or Cubicle (RPG) or Creative Assembly (videogame) are also out of the question? Shame. But I get how it makes the discussion more easy for some people.

------Red Dox
    Red_Dox said:

Red_Dox said:

Maelas said:

Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

Like just compare this :

and this :

-----Red Dox
    So the official GW sanctioned art from "not GW", is out of the question? So things like Fantasy Flight (RPG, Cardgame) or Cubicle (RPG) or Creative Assembly (videogame) are also out of the question? Shame. But I get how it makes the discussion more easy for some people.

------Red Dox
    I never said they are out of the question.

• Bonutz#3949Bonutz#3949 Registered Users Posts: 5,735
    Lol. This thread is a rollercoaster.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
This discussion has been closed.