Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do you ever build Night Watch?

Lucky_JimLucky_Jim Registered Users Posts: 14
I get it that such building was for detecting the skaven undercity in local region, but is such detecting ability really necessary? Takes 8 turns to build and uses 1 valuable building slot, why don't I just sent an agent to that region instead? And to deal with skaven, the only thing I need to do is to capture their settlement anyway. It's not like they could spawn stacks of army out of no where(via underground city)
I do build those extra movement range buildings in certain regions depends on either that was the traffical nexus for my army or not in the current campaign phrase, but this, Night Watch, has never reveal its value to me.

Comments

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 10,656
    Never. Yes to building the roads though. Extra movement and extra money? Yes please.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • LoreguyLoreguy Registered Users Posts: 824
    I once missclicked and build one.

Imho roads, walls and farms should be outside towns. It is wierd that you can't build Inn because there is roads, port and wall builded already.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 12,622
    edited May 4
    Very rarely for the Skaven watchout buildings.

Roads I primarily build for the eco boost not the movement boost, however they are the first ones to go if I find something else is needed.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 1,038
    edited May 4
    The only use I have for them is in regions where my priority is removing corruption more than building up the city. But those instances are rare. I think that the Night Watch building should also contribute a unit to the garrison and increase economy building production in the city a tiny amount (to represent tackling the criminal element). None of those facilities would be especially powerful or that impactful but enough of them piled into the Night Watch building may just make it viable. As an all-around buff building that gives a small benefit to a lot of different areas.

As it stands I very rarely ever build it because its too focused on tackling an issue that is so rarely a top priority.

I understand that they had to add it quickly to all factions in the patch that brought us Undercities, but I think the functions of the building could have more lorefully, and efficiently, been built into a faction's other buildings. Perhaps in game three a rework to settlement structure (like how there was one from game 1 to game 2) will fix the problem and address the redundancy.
  • Lucky_JimLucky_Jim Registered Users Posts: 14
    Loreguy said:

Imho roads, walls and farms should be outside towns. It is wierd that you can't build Inn because there is roads, port and wall builded already.

The current ports, and farms, they can, somehow, be representing that what kind of job the local inhabitants are having. And if they were working in the farms or ports, then they wouldn't be available for other kind of jobs, so each building slot unlocked in a settlement means that this settlement have enough “unemployed” population to be given a new job. But buildings like the Roads and Walls are really not compatible with the logic mentioned above, indeed that the Road and Wall need maintainance, but it wouldn't require that much population to do it.
  • Jman5Jman5 Registered Users Posts: 1,551
    Undercities are one of those really cool mechanics that the developers are scared to death of making the AI good at using. They know that if the AI was actual competent at creating vermintides and spreading undercities, a portion of the community would have a complete meltdown.

And so, we're left with the largely pointless Patrol buildings.
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    If we get chaos cults they might be more useful, and even more useful if the defence building line has walls with more choices e.g Night Watch, Fortifications, Miltia etc.
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Anyone using the term 'iconic' incorrectly to pad out their dumb argument will be subject to immediate Bloodthirster summoning.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 11,863
    I'd probably do if it didn't take so much time to build.
    #JusticeForTzeentch
    #JusticeForMonogods
  • ForumaccountkroqgarForumaccountkroqgar Registered Users Posts: 869
    I have actually built it once or twice for the untainted and public order, nothing to do with skaven. In sartosa or sylvania.
    Justice for the scalies!

Basic fixes for blessed spawnings and geomantic web:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/293369/lizardmen-rework-suggestions/p1?new=1
  • TheMadTypistTheMadTypist Registered Users Posts: 326
    I used them in my dark elf campaign to deal with the northernmost norsican settlements that were always corrupt, just because the -50% impact of corruption on public order meant I could leave them alone without worrying about constant rebellions.

That’s their most useful trait, building in hostile corruption territory.
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 1,637
    Only In Provinces with high corruption that I can't get rid of, like Nagashizzar if you build the Great Halls of Nagashizzar with its whopping +50 Vampiric Corruption. The whole "-50% public order penalty due to corruption, or lack of" is the primary reason.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 1,063
    I used them in my Bretonnia campaign when I took over norsca, and often in areas of high corruption or public order maluses, but not very often.
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 2,506
    Never needed those. I can find Skaven pretty easily.
    No, i also dislike Garth Ennis. He is very juvenile and raunchy, and some of his statements are utterly ridiculous, like Captain America being offensive to WWII veterans when his co-creator, Jack Kirby, served in the war and soldiers liked his stories.

If you think using your abilities to help and inspire people is childish, then i feel sorry for you.
  • crobobcrobob Registered Users Posts: 1
    I am in a game right now where clan rictus keeps building an undercity in Desolation of Drakenmoor. There are no skaven in the old world or the southlands but there is still skaven corruption. I know there are some more undercities but they are under Dwarf holds. My guess is its doing that percentage chance of expanding the under empire and its linking both sides of the map because Rictus only has a few settlements left in Naggarond and they are the last of the Skaven.
  • MasterSayo01MasterSayo01 Registered Users Posts: 413
    Lucky_Jim said:

I get it that such building was for detecting the skaven undercity in local region, but is such detecting ability really necessary? Takes 8 turns to build and uses 1 valuable building slot, why don't I just sent an agent to that region instead? And to deal with skaven, the only thing I need to do is to capture their settlement anyway. It's not like they could spawn stacks of army out of no where(via underground city)
    I do build those extra movement range buildings in certain regions depends on either that was the traffical nexus for my army or not in the current campaign phrase, but this, Night Watch, has never reveal its value to me.

The building "Night Watch" I have builds this in the provinces West Sylvania and East Sylvania, because the Vampire corruption is too high. And your "negative" public order can reduce in those provinces. ;)

So, the building is for me very important to use this, where the corruption is too high. Also, I build the Sigmar's building too in every capital city from a province. :D
  • Lucky_JimLucky_Jim Registered Users Posts: 14

Lucky_Jim said:

The building "Night Watch" I have builds this in the provinces West Sylvania and East Sylvania, because the Vampire corruption is too high. And your "negative" public order can reduce in those provinces. ;)

So, the building is for me very important to use this, where the corruption is too high. Also, I build the Sigmar's building too in every capital city from a province. :D
    You are right, the reduction for public disorder caused by corruption from Night Watch can be very helpful for the provinces that were not in the frontline. Though such case was rare at least in my playthoughs xD