Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Most wanted 190 factions ranked

TheTrueLordAndyTheTrueLordAndy Registered Users Posts: 797
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Which 190 factions that are currently not playable would you most want to see playable? Please list in descending order of preference.

My personal list is as follows:

My top 5 that I would like to see:
1. Zhang Lu
2. Han Sui
3. Gongsun Du
4. Liu Yu
5. Ze Rong

Would like them to be playable but ok if they only get unique models:
6. Cai Mao
7. Huang Zu

Nice but not necessary IMO:
8. Liu Yao
9. Wang Lang
10. Liu Dai
11. Zhang Yang
12. Han Fu
13. Gao Gan

Not really worthy IMO:
14. Shi Wu
15. Jia Long
16. Wang Kuang
17. Kong Zhou

Comments

• Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,704
    Hmm if I was to choose:

I want to see them playable:

1. Gao Gan
    2. Zhang Lu
    3. Han Sui
    4. Wang Lang
    5. Liu Yao

I need character art for these leaders:

1. Han Fu
    2. Gao Gan
    3. Cai Mao
    4. Huang Zu
    5. Zhang Lu
    6. Zhang Yang

Irrelevant

1. Liu Dai
    2. Kong Zhou
    3. Zhang Chao
    4. Ze Rong
    5. Jia Long
    6. Zhang Ji
    7. A bunch of others I don't even remember that exists.

• Maidros98Maidros98 Registered Users Posts: 344
    1. Zhang Lu
    2. Han Sui
    3. Liu Yu
    4. Gongsun Du
    5. Liu Yao
    6. Ze Rong
    7. Zhang Ji
    8. Huang Zu
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,085
    1.Liu Yu
    2.Zhang Miao
    3.Zhang Yang
    4.Zhang Lu
    5.Han Sui
    6.Han Fu
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 2,065
    I prefer these 5 guys:
    1. Gongsun Du
    2. Han Sui
    3. Zhang Lu
    4. Liu Yao
    5. Wang Lang
    Gongsun Du, Han Sui and Zhang Lu have potencial to by playable in more than just one chapter. They survived for long time in story. I think these 3 are only really must have playable warlords for 190.

Also, Liu Yao and Wang Lang are best option for more Han factions on south part of map. They can be playable in 190 and 194 campaigns.
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
  • Skarsnik_De_EmperorSkarsnik_De_Emperor Registered Users Posts: 1,832
    At first impression and according to my limited knowledge on characters in the period, I am pretty okay, if not happy, with your first 5 selections.

Your No.6 Cai Mao
    Cai Mao is a hard one for me. His family background and story is very interesting but I am afraid CA cannot make justice on how to make it (family impact on the game) stand-out. At most, I think they can only make him a better character for navy - which is very sad. So I would rather not have him playable if that is the case because it will be quite boring, if not disappointing.

I can write up some gameplay style those stuff to help but this is a low priority for me atm.

Your No.7 Huang Zu
    Be honest, I do not understand why he is interesting. For me, 'killed Sun Jian' cannot really make him interesting enough for me to play him. Maybe there is something I dun know yet.

• Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 1,407
    edited May 2021
    For me Han Sui, Wang Lang, Liu Yao and Zhang Lu. For Han Sui and Zhang Lu they have more chapter pack dates possible, Wang Lang would be interesting with a debate mechanic something like Lu Bu's warrior list only for scholars, Liu Yao I was kind of surprised that he was passed over for Yan Baihu but would be good option to counter the Sun

If you take romance (the novel not the game mode) into account Liu Yu is a missed opportunity as he was the one who looked for volunteers to fight the Yellow Turbans again I use the term missed opportunity for not taking inspiration from novel given we have Diaochan and thus he more than likely missed his chance to be playable with Mandate of Heaven.

Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han
  • Skarsnik_De_EmperorSkarsnik_De_Emperor Registered Users Posts: 1,832
    (Sorry for not edit last post because I do not want messing the system / my post got locked).

If we have a Liang Rebellion DLC, I will take Han Sui together with that;
    If we have a Northern expedition and space there, I will take Gongsun Du and Liu Yu launched together.

Then the two slots I will pick:
    1, Wang Lang and see whether we can have something like @Vin362 said (but how to implement? LOL)
    2. Liu Yao - but except being a nice person, he seems no other interesting aspects to be featured. Am I right?

And if we have Wang Lang, it will be sad not to have Hua Xin 华歆
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 1,299
    edited May 2021
    My prediction is that we are probably only going to get Gongsun Du, Sun Quan, and Zhang Lu. I think we may get Ma Chao if they add two new factions to the Chibi chapter pack. But I think really off the wall predictions like Han Fu and Gao Lan are completely implausible.

The reality of the situation is that we are probably only going to get three. at most, new Han factions. So far they have provided six Han factions over two years for the base scenario: Tao Qian, Liu Chong, Yanbaihu, Shi Xie, Liu Yan/Zhang. The game is now old and the number of new factions in DLCs are starting to slow as a result. If the game is still supported for two years more sporadically then i think three new factions is most realistic, and maybe four at most. But probably three.

The northern expansion is coming next and I'd say Gongsun Du is almost certainly the FLC for it. He'd be best placed to fight the Xiongnu and Xianbei, especially if they go wild and add Korea too. He was also famous for fighting the northen barbarians so I'd say he's easy to confirm. If not him then Han Sui as a runner up, but I think he's more unlikely because he isn't placed near the Xiongnu or Xianbei. They might add the QIang but who knows.

I'd say that with Chibi we will for sure get Sun Quan as a playable faction. I can also see Ma Chao as another faction in addition. But I think Sun Quan may be all we get for it. The Chapter Packs have been decreasing in quality and quantity. Fates Divided only added one new faction. And Sun Quan will obviously need to be added.

Then we might get one more chapter pack if we are lucky. Probably a Three Kingdoms Chapter Pack set in around 214 AD to end the game post release on. I'm not really sure who they'd add. I personally think it's unlikely that they will do Guan Yu etc as independent factions just because of how few playable factions they add to each chapter pack. So they might add someone who is playable in 190 AD as they did with Fates Divided. But I think he'd also have to be playable in the chapter pack too (like Liu Zhang is).. I think the only real choices are Han Sui and Zhang Lu. And I think Zhang Lu is the most realistic considering he has old art they can build upon (like Shi Xie) and Han Sui is too similar to Ma Teng.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 981

At first impression and according to my limited knowledge on characters in the period, I am pretty okay, if not happy, with your first 5 selections.

Your No.6 Cai Mao
    Cai Mao is a hard one for me. His family background and story is very interesting but I am afraid CA cannot make justice on how to make it (family impact on the game) stand-out. At most, I think they can only make him a better character for navy - which is very sad. So I would rather not have him playable if that is the case because it will be quite boring, if not disappointing.

I can write up some gameplay style those stuff to help but this is a low priority for me atm.

Your No.7 Huang Zu
    Be honest, I do not understand why he is interesting. For me, 'killed Sun Jian' cannot really make him interesting enough for me to play him. Maybe there is something I dun know yet.

Cai Mao can easily be used for Liu cong tbh . As Liu cong got the backing of the cai clan so including a unique unit with the cai clan . Can you do much with him? Idk I mean they could make embarking easier for him , make it so he has better reandforcment range if a navel fight or of course make it so he has a spy if people are married into another persons family . Like Liu biao has lady cai his sister as Liu biaos wife . She could act as a spy with unique spy activities she could do in the faction as she had quite a bit of power in Liu biaos faction if I recall . So he starts with her as a spy in Liu biaos faction and it’s made harder to detect maybe . So it could be benefitual to have your married sibling go to an faction to use them to cause trouble and chaos or get you better deals and such . I mean there not really a faction that makes use of an more advance spy system so Cai Mao could be the first

Huang zu is a little harder tbh . I think people find him interesting is he was probably one of the reasons Liu biao never really succeeded. Due to huang zu he always had wu at war with him and well him being dead in the center with enemies everywhere never really allowed him to grow . Huang zu also had gan Ning with him who was the one who killed ling Cao and he was able to resist the wu invasion in 203. Also he was a road block for sun ces exspansion too so I feel he’s done more than some warlords get credit for but the hard part for huang zu is what do you actually give him as a mechanic .
    edited May 2021

The reality of the situation is that we are probably only going to get three. at most, new Han factions. So far they have provided six Han factions over two years for the base scenario: Tao Qian, Liu Chong, Yanbaihu, Shi Xie, Liu Yan/Zhang. The game is now old and the number of new factions in DLCs are starting to slow as a result. If the game is still supported for two years more sporadically then i think three new factions is most realistic, and maybe four at most. But probably three.

You're probably right, hopefully Gao Gan, Huang Zu, Cai Mao and those guys who last longer from 190 into 200 or further can get unique art when interacting with them, As for playable factions there will only be about 3 more probably.

• TheTrueLordAndyTheTrueLordAndy Registered Users Posts: 797

Your No.6 Cai Mao

Your No.7 Huang Zu

Cai Mao could indeed be quite interesting if his mechanic was to gain influence of Jing province for the Cai clan, but not exactly sure how it could be implemented.

Huang Zu is not the most interesting, you are right his main feat was killing Sun Jian and his conflicts with Sun Quan.

Both are related to Liu Biao so if anything maybe his faction could have mechanics relating to his vassals and family influence over the court, but then again Liu Biao has already been updated and is not in the most pressing need for an update.

I think it is important though that Cai Mao and Huang Zu at least gain unique art.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,596
    1. Zhang Lu
    2. Wang Lang
    3. Ze Rong
    4. Han Sui
    5. Zhang Xiu
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.

Ok so some thoughts on this. True, there is usually one more 190 faction added per DLC, and it is unclear if we will be getting more than three more DLC's. What I observe is that DLC's have a specific budget. It can be possible to do more factions when their mechanics are more similar. For example the Zhang brothers in mandate of heaven as well as Lu Zhi and Liu Chong's mechanic with gathering books and banners respectively for faction wide bonuses.

Lets also consider fates divided along with the relevant FLC patch. We got a Cao Cao and Yuan Shao rework as well as Liu Yan. But we also got faction council and imperial intrigue for all Han factions. Therefore theoretically speaking if there is a future chapter pack that does not include general mechanics for all Han factions, couldn't that design budget be allocated to another faction instead? In this case we could possibly see four more 190 factions over the span of three DLC's.

Han Sui, Gongsun Du, Zhang Lu and Liu Yu seem the most likely and also the ones that make the most sense IMO.

The northern expansion is coming next and I'd say Gongsun Du is almost certainly the FLC for it.

Not necessarily, them adding the Korea peninsula makes me suspect that they may have some plans with that area and Gongsun Du is the only Han faction that would make sense to really interact with them much, so he could be left for if there is a Korea DLC.

Liu Yu could be the FLC with the northern expansion or even Han Sui perhaps.

I think we may get Ma Chao if they add two new factions to the Chibi chapter pack.

CA should 100% do Ma Chao, not doing so would be such a missed opportunity for a fan favorite. He along with Sun Quan, would be a great poster child for a chapter pack.

I think the only real choices are Han Sui and Zhang Lu. And I think Zhang Lu is the most realistic considering he has old art they can build upon (like Shi Xie) and Han Sui is too similar to Ma Teng.

Han Sui could be the FLC that comes along with the northern expansion. Gongsun Du is also a realistic choice in terms of the amount of start dates that can support him, but he would make the most sense with a Korea expansion. Zhang Lu is very likely and simultaneously one of the more interesting options IMO with his Taoist heritage.
    edited May 2021
    Ze Rong is also an interesting one IMO with promoting Buddhism. Could make for some interesting mechanics and unique units. He could also be considered a bandit faction, as he currently has the bandit vanguard skill tree. He was quite devious and backstabbed Tao Qian and Liu Yao, but not technically a bandit.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 981

Ze Rong is also an interesting one IMO with promoting Buddhism. Could make for some interesting mechanics and unique units. He could also be considered a bandit faction, as he currently has the bandit vanguard skill tree. He was quite devious and backstabbed Tao Qian and Liu Yao, but not technically a bandit.

I kind of would like zhang lu and ze Rong to be of a similar culture (if they plan to make them diffrent like bandits ) with maybe just a diffrence in a few unique units .
    edited May 2021

I kind of would like zhang lu and ze Rong to be of a similar culture (if they plan to make them diffrent like bandits ) with maybe just a diffrence in a few unique units .
    I'm fine with Ze Rong being a bandit faction, but that theme would not fit well with Zhang Lu. Zhang Lu actually governed quite well, built infrastructure and gave back to the people. If anything he should be a Han/ yellow turban hybrid faction.

They could have similar mechanics though if they are both about Buddhist/Taoist religious cults, so I could see what you are suggesting in that sense. Perhaps they could be considered Han factions, but instead of being governor or warlord faction they could be a new type of Han faction such as a "religious cult" faction.
    Post edited by TheTrueLordAndy on
    I don't see much point in Liu Yu getting revamped because he is only available in the 182 and 190 starts, so I would rather have them flesh out other factions like Han Sui and Zhang Lu who are present during multiple starting dates plus 190.

edited May 2021

I don't see much point in Liu Yu getting revamped because he is only available in the 182 and 190 starts, so I would rather have them flesh out other factions like Han Sui and Zhang Lu who are present during multiple starting dates plus 190.

Agreed, that's partly why my list prioritizes:

1. Zhang Lu
    2. Han Sui
    3. Gongsun Du

Given that the above three are done then we can get someone like Liu Yu. While Liu Yu doesn't have many start dates, he will border the northern tribes which may make for interesting gameplay though, granted though you have Gongsun Zan who can serve a similar role.
    edited May 2021
    Gao Gan, Huang Zu, Cai Mao, Ze Rong, Gongsun Du were all pretty much small frys and subservient vassals with limited potential throughout the narrative. They lived longer lives but their achievements were mediocre to bad.

On the other hand, Liu Yu, Zhang Miao, Han Fu, Zhang Yang held their own independent powerbases comparable to Yuan Shao and Cao Cao in 182 and throughout the 190s. They were leading men of their time who were part of the grand alliance against Dong Zhuo kickstarting the narrative.

Liu Yu is a natural candidate for a new faction. Tremendously esteemed and one of the most influential man of the time. Zhang Yang was known to be upright, brave and loyal and held his own against the likes of Yuan Shao and Cao Cao. Zhang Miao was among the first to take up arms together with Cao Cao against Dong Zhuo, leading to the formation of a coalition. While Han Fu was the Governor of the Ji Province which was a rare appointment back in the day.

One thing these guys had in common was they died too early like Sun Jian, Liu Chong, Sun Ce and Zhou Yu from assassinations and political machinations. It would be fantastic if CA could give them another lease of life so that they may challenge their historical fates like Sun Jian and Liu Chong.
    Post edited by kaihoo on
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,790
    Ze Rong with his unique Buddhist theme units
    edited May 2021
    kaihoo said:

Gao Gan, Huang Zu, Cai Mao, Ze Rong, Gongsun Du were all pretty much small frys and subservient vassals with limited potential throughout the narrative. They lived longer lives but their achievements were mediocre to bad.

This is not only about "who was more important in three kingdoms." This is more about "who is more fit to have a faction mechanic worth CA to rework it based on the purposes of this game." In terms of this game both for gameplay and for CA to make more profits off selling their other DLCs, Zhang Lu and Han Sui makes much more sense because they appear in multiple starting dates which CA has already made DLC content for. For CA to make DLC content with new factions CA will obviously consider how it also makes them the most money helping them sell more DLCs while improving gameplay, not just based on "who was more important during the three kingdoms era" alone.

edited May 2021

kaihoo said:

I'm supportive of Zhang Lu and Han Sui as faction leaders but not the rest above. They are too lightweight. Liu Yu, Zhang Miao, Han Fu and Zhang Yang are far more deserving, powerful and recognisable in 190.

Post edited by kaihoo on
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,790
    After reading more about Liu Yu, I now want him too
    edited May 2021
    The chances of Zhang Miao, Liu Yu, Han Fu and Zhang Yang getting in the game are zero. They will probably only release three or four new Han factions so it's more likely that Godzilla will get in compared to the absolute nobodies above. They made Liu Zhang playable in Fates Divided rather than in his own Chapter Pack because they needed a big hitter to sell the DLC. What matters for this game are who are important in RoTK (with the exception of Liu Chong who got in because he's a prince and it was a nice gimmick) and who can give gameplay diversity. The amount of people who play this game and know nothing about RoTK is absolutely staggering.

Liu Yu won't get in because he's inconsequential in the story and offers no unique start position. Han Fu is exactly the same, and in the game his only purpose is to get confederated by Yuan Shao. Tao Qian got in, despite dying early in the game, because he's actually important in RoTK. You have to understand that people who are inconsequential in RoTK are not going to be playable.

Set standards higher and think of major characters They are going to do big hitters, they've already turned over far more significant characters in RoTK like Yuan Tan, Liu Yao, they aren't going to do no-hopers like Zhang Yang or Zhang Miao. It's never going to happen. Just accept it.

Sun Quan for sure will get in so we can say only three, at most, in addition to him will get in. Zhang Lu will for sure get in, because again, he's important in RoTK. Ma Chao may get in because he's Ma Chao. Han Sui may get in because despite being very similar to Ma Teng he's important in RoTK. Of the remaining warlords, Gongsun Du may get in because even though he's a nobody like Shi Xie in RoTK, he has an interesting start position near the northern tribes and especially if Korea get added. He's also famous in RoTK games for being a challenging start and so has a gameplay lineage (compared to the nobody Liu Yu).
    Also Cai Mao is not a small fry. Complete nonsense.
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 1,407
    Is Zhang Miao even a faction leader in 190?
    Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han
    edited May 2021

The chances of Zhang Miao, Liu Yu, Han Fu and Zhang Yang getting in the game are zero.

I'll believe that when I hear it from the CA not random guy from the forums. And Liu Yu, a nobody? Han Fu? All I can say is you need to revise your 3K history again. Hint, it did not start from the year 190.. It was earlier.

Also Cai Mao is not a small fry. Complete nonsense.

Yes he is unfortunately
    Vin362 said:

Is Zhang Miao even a faction leader in 190?

He could be added. Why not?