Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Most wanted 190 factions ranked

Comments

• MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 981

Rewan said:

Why Liu Yu? He's in a dull position and is an irrelevant character

Like I understand you people don't find any interest in him but do you really need to try convincing other people they are "somehow wrong" in wanting faction X or Y to be playable ?

Peacemongers in the North is something I believe we're missing. So yeah, I'd like Liu Yu to be playable.
    I'm not saying he must absolutely not be playable I just think other factions are more deserving of it. And I think if he was fleshed out he would needlessly bog down and complicate the Yuan Shao and Gongsun Zan initial fights in the north.
    But won’t the northern tribes be doing that anyway?
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,704
    kaihoo said:

As opposed to Zheng Jiang then...

Take it up with CA, as Zheng Jiang is CA's decision based on one line of text which doesn't say much about her.

Zheng Jiang is there for a female representation . Tbh I don’t mind Zheng jiang . More so that she is the bandit culture now . Next scenario if she’s still around she will be the only playable bandit faction unless zhang yan is made a vassel or they somehow make Zang Ba a vassel faction or something
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 1,408
    edited May 2021

Zheng Jiang is there for a female representation . Tbh I don’t mind Zheng jiang . More so that she is the bandit culture now . Next scenario if she’s still around she will be the only playable bandit faction unless zhang yan is made a vassel or they somehow make Zang Ba a vassel faction or something

While it was nice to get the bandits as subculture for free it makes me wonder why they didn't put off making them playable and sell us a culture pack later as I found it weird at release that there was these two factions that shouldn't be like everyone else even had their own rankings but played the same.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han
  • TheTrueLordAndyTheTrueLordAndy Registered Users Posts: 797
    Vin362 said:

While it was nice to get the bandits as subculture for free it makes me wonder why they didn't put off making them playable and sell us a culture pack later as I found it weird at release that there was these two factions that shouldn't be like everyone else even had their own rankings but played the same.
    Because they had planned the game out differently in the beginning, thinking that they would do more isolated campaign scenarios like eight princes for example.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,085

I don't think there is any debate that Han Sui, Zhang Lu and Gongsun Du are the most relevant three remaining 190 factions in terms of potential start dates and what they can offer

For me it would be Han Sui, Liu Yu and Zhang Lu. Gongsun Du maybe but not Ze Rong. He's not big enough.
    kaihoo said:

For me it would be Han Sui, Liu Yu and Zhang Lu. Gongsun Du maybe but not Ze Rong. He's not big enough.

Liu Yu doesn't even make it past 194, while Han Sui, Zhang Lu and Gongsun Du all make it past 200 and beyond, meaning that they clearly bring more value for CA appearing in multiple starting date DLCs supporting gameplay.

Liu Yu doesn't even make it past 194, while Han Sui, Zhang Lu and Gongsun Du all make it past 200 and beyond, meaning that they clearly bring more value for CA appearing in multiple starting date DLCs supporting gameplay.

Liu Chong never made it past 197 yet there he is... Why? Because he is a fascinating figure and historically influential. The same can be said about Liu Yu.
    kaihoo said:

Liu Chong never made it past 197 yet there he is... Why? Because he is a fascinating figure and historically influential. The same can be said about Liu Yu.

Liu Chong is at least still alive in 194 and made it to 197, so he made it several years longer than Liu Yu. B)

Oh yes, Zheng Jiang also made it to around 210, so that's why she is there.

Liu Chong is at least still alive in 194 and made it to 197, so he made it several years longer than Liu Yu. B)

Again, illogical reasoning all round. Zheng Jiang? How could she possibly make it when she never existed?
    kaihoo said:

Again, illogical reasoning all round. Zheng Jiang? How could she possibly make it when she never existed?

She only appears in one line of text but she definitely existed. If you have a problem with CA's reasoning for including Zheng Jiang take it up with CA and complain about it to them.

kaihoo said:

But by that arguement dong zhuo may as well not be a unique faction . He dies by turn 3 and. same with sun Jian he’s dead a few turns after .

It’s not about the length of time it’s about how much of an impact CA can make these factions .

I want to point out northern expansion will more than likely focus on a 190 ad start . A date Liu Yu is alive. I further want to point out he has good relations with the northern tribes . They would not raid him because they respected his virtuas rule . This and then added with his rival gongsun zan who conquered the tribes is already more of a reason to add him in context with the northern tribes than liturally everyone else mentioned here . You could argue shi xie but shi xie was added to have a faction close to the Nanman again raising another perk in Liu yus chances as he’s right in front of them . If Ca make him a fun faction to play then he will be a good flc for the northern tribes . If he is however not added during the northern tribes then I agree that there will be liturally no point in adding Liu Yu if he’s not added after northern much like there’s no point adding han fu after guan du
    edited May 2021

kaihoo said:

She only appears in one line of text but she definitely existed. If you have a problem with CA's reasoning for including Zheng Jiang take it up with CA and complain about it to them.
    She likely didn't have a bandit faction though. More likely that she was some poor girl that became the victim of superstitious bigotry, because some person figured that their dream was some devine foretelling... the same way random people where accused of witchcraft throughout history.

*That being said though, I have no problem with her being a faction even though she is fictitious. But she is the only fictitious faction that I would really accept.

She likely didn't have a bandit faction though. More likely that she was some poor girl that became the victim of superstitious bigotry, because some person figured that their dream was some devine foretelling... the same way random people where accused of witchcraft throughout history.

*That being said though, I have no problem with her being a faction even though she is fictitious. But she is the only fictitious faction that I would really accept.

She probably didn't have a bandit faction, though the records did specifically mention that she was a "female bandit" so it was implied that she had a few underlings here and there despite there being no details of how many or how significant her influence was in her local area. I also got used to the idea of Zheng Jiang since she does improve gameplay over multiple starts sticking around as far as 210, so I understand the argument of including her to improve gameplay.

But by that arguement dong zhuo may as well not be a unique faction . He dies by turn 3 and. same with sun Jian he’s dead a few turns after .

It’s not about the length of time it’s about how much of an impact CA can make these factions.

It can be about both, Liu Yu barely had any impact on the narrative because he refused to fight so not only does he not last until even 194 he was a pacifist faction which refused to fight despite controlling a sizable port of YouZhou which lead to his doom.

It can be about both, Liu Yu barely had any impact on the narrative because he refused to fight so not only does he not last until even 194 he was a pacifist faction which refused to fight despite controlling a sizable port of YouZhou which lead to his doom.

Well except he wasn't a "pacifist faction". He was the Governor of You Province as well as one of the most influential and respected leading men of the time. He did not have to fight due to his abilities as a good governor who conducted diplomacy well with the Korean kingdoms.

Kong Rong, Shi Xie and Liu Chong had far lesser impact on the narrative yet here they are in the game. Clearly "impact" on the narrative is not one of CA's concerns in fleshing out the minor warlords.
    edited May 2021
    I don’t understand the refuse to fight part . He was the one who attacked gongsun zan first with an army of 100,000 after he got fed up with how he treated the local tribes which had been going on since 190. This was in 193 . Of course his way of thinking (not so much refusing to fight but to target gongsun zan and defeat him quickly with minimum casualties and damage) yah that means he didn’t really wanna fight but it showed he was willing to fight if there was a cause . He however was let down by gongsun Ji who told gongsun zan about what happened . Of course this lead to gongsun zan fighting him very aggressively . In the novel he also rose forces against the yellow turbans . It is the event that lead to Liu bei , zhang fei and guan Yu having their oath . His death also lead to yuan Shao having a justifiable reason to finish gongsun zan in revenge for Liu Yu (his son and some of his subordinates came to yuan Shao after his death )

It shows he’s willing to fight he just was not willing to kill or destroy as much as other warlords and rule as a virtuas leader . That could be made into a unique play style mechanic in itself and this of course does not mean he just sits there as a pacifist doing nothing . He could need a reason to go to war without losing virtuas points though (maybe each faction he meets he tracks by their actions . Some having more points than others and some having less points which he uses as a way to justify his battles )

If they did Liu Yu right he would offer something unique to this game . As for the other warlords mentioned who are more about length of rule time do remember that Liu yan was added in guan du . What’s to say chi bi does not just go adding most of those already suggested ? Sun quan , zhang lu and han sui could in theory all get added in 1 chapter pack or we could see sun quan , cai mao and huang zu meaning zhang lu or han sui could be in this pack . gongsun du lets be real he’s only relivent if korea got added otherwise he has little to no purpose in the narrative so it really also depends on what CA is planning and their road map . But considering I can only see Liu bei getting faction rework and sun quan being the last new faction to add Liu Yu does stand a chance bu
    edited May 2021
    kaihoo said:

Well except he wasn't a "pacifist faction". He was the Governor of You Province as well as one of the most influential and respected leading men of the time. He did not have to fight due to his abilities as a good governor who conducted diplomacy well with the Korean kingdoms.

If this was actually true then it is very strange that he got destroyed by GongSun Zan immediately who only had a fraction of Liu Yu's troops and GongSun Zan was not even a great military leader, perhaps this proves how incompetent Liu Yu was?
    kaihoo said:

Kong Rong, Shi Xie and Liu Chong had far lesser impact on the narrative yet here they are in the game. Clearly "impact" on the narrative is not one of CA's concerns in fleshing out the minor warlords.

Yes because they all at least lived past the 194 start of the game, so clearly starting in multiple dates is one of CA's concerns.

His death also lead to yuan Shao having a justifiable reason to finish gongsun zan in revenge for Liu Yu (his son and some of his subordinates came to yuan Shao after his death )

Actually it was GongSun Zan who declared war on Yuan Shao using the death of GongSun Yue as a pretext, and Yuan Shao even conceded BoHai to GongSun Zan in an effort to stall the conflict because Yuan Shao wasn't ready to fight a full out war against GongSun Zan.

kaihoo said:

If this was actually true then it is very strange that he got destroyed by GongSun Zan immediately who only had a fraction of Liu Yu's troops and GongSun Zan was not even a great military leader, perhaps this proves how incompetent Liu Yu was?
    Why would it be strange? Sun Jian and Sun Ce got destroyed by even smaller forces, lived far shorter lives so by your strange logic, they both are far more incompetent and thus shouldn't be in the game.
    kaihoo said:

Why would it be strange? Sun Jian and Sun Ce got destroyed by even smaller forces, lived far shorter lives so by your strange logic, they both are far more incompetent and thus shouldn't be in the game.

Sun Jian died quite early, and yet his children carried on his legacy. The faction of Sun Jian in 190 is not just about Sun Jian himself, but it is a faction about his family where his sons carry on his legacy. Where was Liu Yu's sons carrying out Liu Yu's legacy and forming a powerbase in YouZou? Oh wait, they did no such thing as Liu Yu's legacy got ended right there after GongSun Zan sieged his city taking it over in only 3 days, defeating Liu Yu's army of 10,000 men with only a few hundred militia units he raised in a few days and shoved Liu Yu in a cage to let him rot and die.

Ah Liu Yu, "one of the most influential and respected leading men of the time. He did not have to fight due to his abilities as a good governor who conducted diplomacy well with the Korean kingdoms" who was so good at diplomacy that when he decided to fight, was defeated by Gongsun Zan handily and decisively in a few days to be left rotting in a cage, what a great general and influential leader of the time! Truly a very worthy add to this game!

"最终刘虞为了阻止公孙瓒的恶行,决定率兵十万攻打公孙瓒。当时,公孙瓒的部曲放散在外,仓卒欲从东城逃走,刘虞的士兵不习战,又下军令不准骚扰百姓,不许损害民居,导致久攻不下。公孙瓒于是招募精兵数百人,顺着风势放火,趁势杀入刘虞兵营,刘虞大败。刘虞与他的部下往北逃到居庸县(今北京延庆东)。公孙瓒三天就攻破了居庸城,活捉刘虞及其妻子儿女回到蓟县。此时董卓已死,献帝派使者段训给刘虞增加封地,令其督统六州,升迁公孙瓒为前将军,封易侯。公孙瓒诬陷刘虞与袁绍谋取称帝,胁迫段训斩刘虞及其妻子儿女于蓟市。公孙瓒将刘虞的首级送到京师,被刘虞的旧部下尾敦在路上劫走并安葬。公孙瓒杀了刘虞之后,得到了整个幽州,日益骄矜,不恤百姓,记过善忘,睚眦必报。"

https://baike.baidu.com/item/公孙瓒/18169?fr=aladdin

Something that everyone is missing about Liu Yu is that he was actually well respected by the Wuhuan and Xianbei tribes and as @kaihoo mentioned was a good governor, though sure militarily he didn't do anything notable. Part of his conflict with Gongsun Zan was actually based on how they should deal with the northern tribes, as the former was more peaceful towards them and the later supported military action against them. So in terms of having a Han faction with mechanics that could interact nicely with the northern tribes, he might actually make sense for a playable faction.
    This is what I mean . Like Liu Yu is a good pick for his interesting relations with the northern tribes . If we were talking about something like chi bi then yah I could understand he would be at the bottom of the list so as Iv mentioned northern tribes would be his last chance

His sons and subordinates went to yuan Shao to get revenge on gongsun zan so it’s not like his family died out . They just never became a big power again and went to help yuan Shao. There could be an interesting effect where if you eliminate Liu Yu you end up getting diplomacy penalties and all sorts . There’s actually a lot they could do despite this guy not being much of a war hungry guy . He may of lost to gongsun zan but he still has other qualities

Something that everyone is missing about Liu Yu is that he was actually well respected by the Wuhuan and Xianbei tribes and as @kaihoo mentioned was a good governor, though sure militarily he didn't do anything notable. Part of his conflict with Gongsun Zan was actually based on how they should deal with the northern tribes, as the former was more peaceful towards them and the later supported military action against them. So in terms of having a Han faction with mechanics that could interact nicely with the northern tribes, he might actually make sense for a playable faction.

Liu Yu was more of a pacifist diplomat, he was unable to defend his lands against Gongsun Zan and when he finally went to battle, he flopped hard with 10,000 troops against Gongsun Zan's several hundred and couldn't even defend his city for 3 days before his entire family was captured and killed. Most importantly he doesn't even make it to even 194.

This is what I mean . Like Liu Yu is a good pick for his interesting relations with the northern tribes . If we were talking about something like chi bi then yah I could understand he would be at the bottom of the list so as Iv mentioned northern tribes would be his last chance

His sons and subordinates went to yuan Shao to get revenge on gongsun zan so it’s not like his family died out . They just never became a big power again and went to help yuan Shao. There could be an interesting effect where if you eliminate Liu Yu you end up getting diplomacy penalties and all sorts . There’s actually a lot they could do despite this guy not being much of a war hungry guy . He may of lost to gongsun zan but he still has other qualities

If he can be somewhat relevant after the 190 start I wouldn't mind. My biggest problem is that not only was Liu Yu a terrible leader and an absolute clown of a military commander, he doesn't even bring value to the other starting dates from 194 and onwards, where the other warlords like Han Sui and Zhang Lu does so Liu Yu should be very low on the priority list, lower than even Ze Rong who at least makes it to 194. Liu Yu is a meme who got rolled over in a 3 day siege and died.

Liu Yu was more of a pacifist diplomat, he was unable to defend his lands against Gongsun Zan and when he finally went to battle, he flopped hard with 10,000 troops against Gongsun Zan's several hundred and couldn't even defend his city for 3 days before his entire family was captured and killed. Most importantly he doesn't even make it to even 194.

If he can be somewhat relevant after the 190 start I wouldn't mind. My biggest problem is that not only was Liu Yu a terrible leader and an absolute clown of a military commander, he doesn't even bring value to the other starting dates from 194 and onwards, where the other warlords like Han Sui and Zhang Lu does so Liu Yu should be very low on the priority list, lower than even Ze Rong who at least makes it to 194. Liu Yu is a meme who got rolled over in a 3 day siege and died.
    Let me pose the question differently then, if we get Han Sui, Zhang Lu and Gongsun Du for 190 warlords, who would you chose as a fourth option? Those three I agree would offer more the Liu Yu. Cai Mao and Huang Zu could be nice options but many people seem fine with them being just unique, and they are intertwined with Liu Biao anyways. Sure Cai Mao could be interesting if he gets a nice mechanic revolving around the Cai family scheming but don't think CA will put that much effort in his faction, maybe I am wrong though, time will tell. Also for whatever reason Liu Yu seems more popular than Ze Rong. (Even though I think Ze Rong is quite interesting, as someone who promoted Buddhism). If they make all of the above though, I don't see any reason to object to Liu Yu if the factions with multiple possible start dates are exhausted.
    edited May 2021

My biggest problem is that not only was Liu Yu a terrible leader and an absolute clown of a military commander. Liu Yu is a meme who got rolled over in a 3 day siege and died.

What a childish interpretation of history LOL
    I mean Liu Yu is a faction in the Mandate of Heaven kind of like han fu so he would be available in 2 scenarios . I don’t think a warlord starts up there in the Mandate of Heaven scenario . Gongsun zan also starts under him but would eventually rebel against him in 188

I do agree heavily on han sui and zhang lu . The thing about these 2 is I can see CA saving han sui and zhang lu for payed dlc . They are more likely to include them as part of a culture . I mean If they pick han sui over Liu Yu for flc then that’s totally fine han sui is a great pick but as many people have mentioned here they could see him and zhang lu (and ze Rong and the white wave bandits) all being cultures of their own . Or CA may wait till we have tong gate or chi bi scenario to sell them much like Liu zhang for the guan du scenario

Gongsun du/gong/yuan is honestly something i don’t see much of a benefit to adding atm excluding his extremely long faction date . Without his rival goguryeo which he went to war with frequently and took land off frequently it would feel like it’s missing something . Ideal FLC for that occasion or if we ever reach the king of yan independence scenario

Cai Mao and Huang Zu are popular but as mentioned many are kind of happy as them just getting a unique model and being done . I would love to see them playable but unless they use cai maos mechanics for Liu cong he would only be a 190 exclusive unless they change him to always be a vassel . Huang zu is little diffrent as he’s Around as a vassel all the time so i could see him being more of a candidate . Though Liu biaos faction is a bit of a mess anyway . Liu biao should get wei yan at the beginning and Gan ning should be Huang zus subordinate till ling caos death if they do make him playable

FLC also will pick people who are not always the most popular . I mean they picked tao qian . Excluding a Mandate of Heaven and his story plot what did he add? He was already clustered with everyone but his relevance to 190 is why I felt he got added . Yan baihu was next . He has more going for him but Again added as a flc for 1st to promote the new bandit culture but also 2nd as he as a enemy of sun ce one of the new 194 factions . Shi xie is the last one and again he was added for the fact he was at the bottom of the map . Having to start with his borders next to the Nanman . Liu yan would of been a perfect pick for flc for the Nanman too but he was picked out for payed dlc .

This leaves us with a bunch of other warlords . The question now is which of them even have anything to do with the northern tribes ? Liu Yu at least had good relations with them , was the very reason he was defeated (he went to war with gongsun zan over how gongsun zan treated them) I don’t think but I could be wrong many of the other factions did much or anything with them that are not playable already . This is my reasoning . Again han sui could be picked or for all we know could actually be part of the dlc (if they plan to make northern tribe similar to the qiang for han sui ) but after han sui who else really has that connection with the northern tribes ?
    kaihoo said:

What a childish interpretation of history LOL

I provided the historical context with citations and it is "childish" because you didn't like the facts? LOL! :p

Let me pose the question differently then, if we get Han Sui, Zhang Lu and Gongsun Du for 190 warlords, who would you chose as a fourth option? Those three I agree would offer more the Liu Yu.

I would pick Huang Zu because Huang Zu lives all the way till the 208 start and could even potentially make it to a ChiBi DLC starting date depending on when CA decides to make the ChiBi DLC. Huang Zu was also semi autonomous with his own realm in JiangXia fighting off the Sun family for over a decade, and could show a lot of potential to fill the southern region of China which is still quite barren despite the addition of Yan BaiHu.

I mean Liu Yu is a faction in the Mandate of Heaven kind of like han fu so he would be available in 2 scenarios . I don’t think a warlord starts up there in the Mandate of Heaven scenario . Gongsun zan also starts under him but would eventually rebel against him in 188

I don't think that CA is ever going back to add more to Mandate of Heaven though, it is the most bugged DLC in the game breaking every time they add a new mechanics to the game as fervor is still quite broken even in the current version. I can see an argument for Liu Yu if CA decides to go back and fix Mandate of Heaven but I don't see this happening.

Huang zu is little diffrent as he’s Around as a vassel all the time so i could see him being more of a candidate . Though Liu biaos faction is a bit of a mess anyway . Liu biao should get wei yan at the beginning and Gan ning should be Huang zus subordinate till ling caos death if they do make him playable

Yes, this is why I think Huang Zu should be the forth candidate. He also owns ChangSha in the 194 start so he has a lot of potential to become a full faction and colonize some of the barren lands in the south. His faction currently should be based on how successful his campaign is fighting off the Sun family and be rewarded upon that, and as I mentioned earlier also because Huang Zu lives all the way up to 208 giving him another potential appearance in a ChiBi DLC.

My biggest problem is that not only was Liu Yu a terrible leader and an absolute clown of a military commander. Liu Yu is a meme who got rolled over in a 3 day siege and died.

These are the opinions of a child, not facts. :)

Yes, this is why I think Huang Zu should be the forth candidate. He also owns ChangSha in the 194 start so he has a lot of potential to become a full faction and colonize some of the barren lands in the south. His faction currently should be based on how successful his campaign is fighting off the Sun family and be rewarded upon that, and as I mentioned earlier also because Huang Zu lives all the way up to 208 giving him another potential appearance in a ChiBi DLC.

Huang Zu is a nobody whose only claim to fame was assassinating the warlord Sun Jian in an ambush. So no thank you. A faction slot would be totally wasted on him.
    o" rel="nofollow">kaiho o:) o said:

These are the opinions of a child, not facts. :)

The fact that Liu Yu raised 10,000 men and got beaten back by Gongsun Zan's several hundred men, and Liu Yu got driven back to 居庸 city which Gongsun Zan conquered in 3 days is straight from the HouHanShu. Facts don't care about your feelings. Oh wow! That meme character who used 10,000 men and lost to 600 men, then had his city attacked and conquered in 3 days "MUST" be a GREAT military leader! Anyone who thinks Liu Yu wasn't a great leader is "childish!" o:)o:)o:)
    kaihoo said:

Huang Zu is a nobody whose only claim to fame was assassinating the warlord Sun Jian in an ambush. So no thank you. A faction slot would be totally wasted on him.

Huang Zu held back the Sun family's advance in JiangDong from 191 all the way to 208, and Huang Zu is just a "nobody" because the meme character Liu Yu who can't even hold his city for 3 days with 10,000 men fighting GongSun Zan's several hundred men "MUST" be much more important, better and competent than Huang Zu right? o:)o:)o:)

That meme character who used 10,000 men and lost to 600 men, then had his city attacked and conquered in 3 days "MUST" be a GREAT military leader! Anyone who thinks Liu Yu wasn't a great leader is "childish!" o:)o:)o:)

Somebody's making things up again...