Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

If we want to talk about an inclusive TW:WH, lets talk about Bretonnia occupying Araby’s spot.

IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 4,362
We all want Warhammer for everyone, we want a game where we can feel represented while we escape from reality and fight chaos as a unified world.

Latin americans got Lizardmen

Europe and North america got Elves/bretonnia/empire

Northerns got Norsca

UK got Wood elves

Egypt got Tomb Kingd

Asia (China) got Cathay (Japan in the future maybe as Nippon?)

Islamic Arabia? They got Araby… currently out of the game because BRETONNIAN CRUSADERS are occupying their lands. The only reason they don’t have as a mission “Kill all the Arabys” is because Araby is not in game and instead they get “Kill all Tomb Kings”

Really? Really CA?

Repanse was great and I don’t want her or her objectives to be removed at all, what I want is

THE CHANCE FOR ARABY TO FIGHT BACK AND TAKE BACK THEIR LAND AND PROBABLY PAY A VISIT TO THOSE BRETONNIAN CRUSADERS BACK AT THEIR HOMES.

What does it mean?

CA, I want Araby to be a playable race for TW:Warhammer , lets do it, we can bring all cultures to the amazing world that you, along with Games Workshop, created.

*Justice and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
*Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
*Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
*Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
Tagged:

Comments

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,593
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for Araby, as I enjoyed playing as Eastern factions in Rome and Medieval. That style would be a cool one to play within Warhammer if, by some long shot, CA decides to backtrack and add them.

But let’s cool it with this ‘inclusivity’ nonsense. It’s tainted enough arenas already, we don’t need it nonsensically shoe horned into games. I didn’t enjoy playing as Parthia or the Seljuks because I’m a Babylonian Turk. I don’t enjoy the Lizardmen because I’m from Latin America.

The point of escapist fantasy games is to FORGET about the real world for a bit ..... inclusivity politics included.

Whether Araby comes or not ... I don’t want political correctness to be the reason why it does (or doesn’t).

P.S.

How on earth are the Wood Elves, the UK? in your analogy. You do realize that the UK was one of the three major countries to kick-off the Industrial Revolution right? London alone is probably one of the top 5 ‘least Athel Loren’ cities on the entire planet 🤣

If you’re going to make silly analogies, at least have them make sense. High Elves share way more ‘UK’ analogies than the Wood Elves do.
  • Kouran_DarkhandKouran_Darkhand Registered Users Posts: 698
    I want Araby too. Not because an absurd inclusivity politic, but because they belong to Warhammer and its lore. Stop with that kind of speech. It’s hateful and makes no sense here.

You start with Araby, that makes sense, and you end asking for bald transsexuals with glasses, because eh, there aren’t in Warhammer (well, Slaanesh could not agree with this, but it’s an example, and as far as I know, Slaanesh prefer to not wear glasses jk).
    You are the true king of the elves, Malekith. You are the son of Aenarion, champion of the Daemon War, heir to the Phoenix Crown. It is your right by deed, merit and birth and I would give my life to see that ancient wrong reversed and your rightful position restored. As an elf I can think of no higher calling.

• ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,629
    Firstly no, we all don't want that. The vast majority of us don't care and are quite content with things as they are.

Secondly, am dubious why any nation, race or culture would be that concerned about being unrepresented in a parody High Fantasy world comprised of almost every national, cultural, and fictional stereotype that is or has ever existed played largely for laughs.

Araby was a Haroun Al-Rashid parody that by todays standards would probably go down as well as a re-release of the Pygmies, not to mention the Islamic world not being famed for it's whimsical sense of humour and love of self-deprecation. It would either risk an outcry by making a mockery of things, or be taken with a seriousness that wouldn't fit with the rest of the factions.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 2,063
    Arsenic said:

Firstly no, we all don't want that. The vast majority of us don't care and are quite content with things as they are.

Secondly, am dubious why any nation, race or culture would be that concerned about being unrepresented in a parody High Fantasy world comprised of almost every national, cultural, and fictional stereotype that is or has ever existed played largely for laughs.

Araby was a Haroun Al-Rashid parody that by todays standards would probably go down as well as a re-release of the Pygmies, not to mention the Islamic world not being famed for it's whimsical sense of humour and love of self-deprecation. It would either risk an outcry by making a mockery of things, or be taken with a seriousness that wouldn't fit with the rest of the factions.

As much as I'd love an Arabian Warhammer faction, this is entirely accurate.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 3,879
    Sure but only after Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, Dow/Southern Realms and Nagash.

They are far more important races to add.
  • User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 804
    Valkaar said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for Araby, as I enjoyed playing as Eastern factions in Rome and Medieval. That style would be a cool one to play within Warhammer if, by some long shot, CA decides to backtrack and add them.

But let’s cool it with this ‘inclusivity’ nonsense. It’s tainted enough arenas already, we don’t need it nonsensically shoe horned into games. I didn’t enjoy playing as Parthia or the Seljuks because I’m a Babylonian Turk. I don’t enjoy the Lizardmen because I’m from Latin America.

The point of escapist fantasy games is to FORGET about the real world for a bit ..... inclusivity politics included.

Whether Araby comes or not ... I don’t want political correctness to be the reason why it does (or doesn’t).

P.S.

How on earth are the Wood Elves, the UK? in your analogy. You do realize that the UK was one of the three major countries to kick-off the Industrial Revolution right? London alone is probably one of the top 5 ‘least Athel Loren’ cities on the entire planet 🤣

If you’re going to make silly analogies, at least have them make sense. High Elves share way more ‘UK’ analogies than the Wood Elves do.

I mean, Bretonnia is clearly supposed to represent not only the French but the British as well. Their lore is Arthurian legend. Heck it's even in the name. I don't think any of the factions make a very strong connection to actual real world modern stats other than maybe the Dark Elves, but that's a bit iffy.
    "Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 4,386
    Valkaar said:

The Welfs are Welsh Elves, to all intents and purposes. The Helfs are I suppose like the Southern English and the Dwarves the Northern English and Scots.

Or so I've always assumed it's meant to be. There's plenty of in-jokes in the Warhammer world that you pick up if you're British.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 3,879
    Oh wait just realized who this was posted by, got baited.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 11,799
    edited May 8
    Arsenic said:

I don't really think Araby would cause a - snip - though. There isn't anything that could potentially be considered offensive. Unless you're an idiot of course.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on

• Kouran_DarkhandKouran_Darkhand Registered Users Posts: 698
    Arsenic said:

While I understand this, in my opinion CA and GW shouldn’t fear to bring Araby. It’s a fantasy setting and it shouldn’t be compared with real life. And if some people are stupid enough to see that as an insult, they are the ones who insulte to themselves for being so sensitive.

Araby should be in the game, and I hope we see it one day.
    You are the true king of the elves, Malekith. You are the son of Aenarion, champion of the Daemon War, heir to the Phoenix Crown. It is your right by deed, merit and birth and I would give my life to see that ancient wrong reversed and your rightful position restored. As an elf I can think of no higher calling.

Neodeinos said:

I don't really think Araby would cause a shitshow though. There isn't anything that could potentially be considered offensive. Unless you're an idiot of course.

Unfortunately we live in idiotic times. I can almost guarantee there would be shrieks from the usual suspects if Araby as it was became an official faction. And those usual suspects seem to wield a lot more influence than their numbers really warrant.
  • DrownedHoundDrownedHound Registered Users Posts: 6,444
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 11,799
    Arsenic said:

Neodeinos said:

I don't really think Araby would cause a shitshow though. There isn't anything that could potentially be considered offensive. Unless you're an idiot of course.

Unfortunately we live in idiotic times. I can almost guarantee there would be shrieks from the usual suspects if Araby as it was became an official faction. And those usual suspects seem to wield a lot more influence than their numbers really warrant.
    It's too much of a niche game, it would probably go unnoticed by the idiots who get offended at everything.

• IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 4,362

Sure but only after Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, Dow/Southern Realms and Nagash.

They are far more important races to add.

Sure, even if it is the last race.

Btw I meant Ireland as Wood Elves.
    *Justice and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 4,362
    Ok, another thing, why would people think Arabic culture would get offended by it? Are you considering them different and not being able to enjoy Djins killing Vampires?

Mea culpa, I always use inclusivity to bring attention to Araby cause when I got into this game I was noob asking for Araby with good intentions and the answers were brutal here, the amount of sheer racism was huge towards “what they might think”

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,276
    @OP:

How about we ******* not?

Keep the politics in hell where they belong.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 6,346
    Dont fly to close to the sun OP.
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• Spellbound55Spellbound55 Registered Users Posts: 489
    I really don't think the lizardmen are a good example of inclusivity in media. Might be going out on a limb but I doubt people feel represented by giant reptiles who at best show a crude influence from one particular nonwestern civilization.

Having some non-white cultures would be nice but without GW putting in the work of developing new stuff for an old faction (like they did for Cathay) it seems unlikely. Given that when CA stated they had no plans for Araby we now know they definitely had plans for Cathay I think it's safe to put your energy elsewhere.

Southern Realms seems like a more realistic chance for an increase in diversity given that it includes fantasy Spain and Italy. I assume no one would have a problem with the Southern Realms having some visual elements taken from the moors, given they fit the time period from which the empire draws it's visuals.

Ok, another thing, why would people think Arabic culture would get offended by it? Are you considering them different and not being able to enjoy Djins killing Vampires?

Mea culpa, I always use inclusivity to bring attention to Araby cause when I got into this game I was noob asking for Araby with good intentions and the answers were brutal here, the amount of sheer racism was huge towards “what they might think”

Before answering, I have to ask a framing question.

Do you mean the Middle East, Arabic, or Islamic world? Because those three things aren't interchangable.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,292
    I want Araby!!! And i want more because i am big bretonnia fan as well. Hopefully old world would do justice to them, for their stories are tied together
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 28,918
    I get what you're trying to do here OP, and for what it's worth I hope it catches a fish or two.

Personally I'm all for inclusivity in Warhammer and 40K. I think GW's stance of "if you're a repulsive douche we don't want you in the hobby" is a good one. That said it's not a thing to discuss here.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name

• XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 3,699
    I generally hate woke culture but if CA wanted to make Araby a mixed race faction with Arabs and Black people I'd be in favor. I think in lore Southlanders did immigrate to Araby to escape Greenskins anyway.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.

I get what you're trying to do here OP, and for what it's worth I hope it catches a fish or two.

Personally I'm all for inclusivity in Warhammer and 40K. I think GW's stance of "if you're a repulsive douche we don't want you in the hobby" is a good one. That said it's not a thing to discuss here.

It depends on how it's handled. Cult franchises often haven't really handled it well, they've either taken the lazy route and just retconned an established character and watched it crash and burn, or created a new character either stupidly overpowered or with whatever inclusive characteristic their only trait, with no interesting personality or good storyline to be invested in.

So I don't really blame anyone invested in a franchise shuddering whenever they hear anyone calling for inclusivity. It can be done well, but...when it isn't, it's a disaster. I speak as a greatly embittered Doctor Who fan.
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 3,699
    Arsenic said:

It depends on how it's handled. Cult franchises often haven't really handled it well, they've either taken the lazy route and just retconned an established character and watched it crash and burn, or created a new character either stupidly overpowered or with whatever inclusive characteristic their only trait, with no interesting personality or good storyline to be invested in.

So I don't really blame anyone invested in a franchise shuddering whenever they hear anyone calling for inclusivity. It can be done well, but...when it isn't, it's a disaster. I speak as a greatly embittered Doctor Who fan.
    Doctor Who is the difference between inclusivity and pandering. One is a whole hearted attempt to bring others in on the fun the other is a transparent attempt to sell your product to a new demographic.

And its always corporations that push the woke nonsense on people. When it happens organically no one ever minds. Just look at Star Trek or Starwars.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
    The reality is this.

1. WHFB was pretty damn white, or Lizards/Demons/Orcs.

Humans - White.
    Elves - White.
    Dwarves - White.
    Chaos - White, as far as the art was concerned.

Thats just the facts. I've said many times that if people in todays social media charged environment looked too much at Warhammer, they would say 'uhhh....pretty white.'

2. 40K doesnt care about your inclusivity. Just kill the alien, the heretic, and the unclean. It is inclusive, by nature of it not caring, as long as you die for the God-Emperor.

By all means, put Araby in. Put Cathay in. Put all the female LL's in (the one thing GW didnt screw up here really is they have always had female characters) but yeah, old GW? Pretty white boys. lol

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 28,918
    Speaking of which the latest female Character is pretty freaking awesome.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name

• Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 1,205
    Araby is dead sorry.... At least we got mods!!!!

Speaking of which the latest female Character is pretty freaking awesome.

The Sister? I prefer the one with the floating pulpit.

This discussion has been closed.