Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: Antiquity Part 1

VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 1,600
edited May 11 in Total War General Chat
Now, I just want to make one thing perfectly clear.

I'm not just going to be spamming the same thread a number of times or anything like that.

It's just that this is a topic I've wanted to go more in depth about for quite a while now, but I never got around to really just knuckling down and doing it properly. And I don't want to bore people with a short novel of a original post either.

So I wanted to break this whole subject into multiple threads, because I think that the aspects I wanted to discuss are worth their own sections as it were.

I just want to talk about the various different aspects of a possible Total War: Antiquity and why it would be good.

But anyway, I'll just shut up and get into talking about the idea for such a game.

I think I'll just list off what sort of topics the threads will discuss, just to get that out of the way.

Part 1
More Unique Factions
Proper Unit Tiers
Unit Weight Classes
Part 2
Campaign Mechanics
Reputation Mechanic
Part 3
Unit Formations, Mechanics, and Abilities
Part 4
Potential DLC
Mutliplayer

I just don't want the game to simply be a "Rome 3", but more so a TW game whose campaigns span most of Antiquity.

But I'll just talk about the first three, so that this thread doesn't become too long.

More Unique Factions
I think that one of the biggest benefits to another full TW game being set in the era of Antiquity would be the more unique cultures and factions as compared to something like the medieval period.

Because you could get a lot more variety in actually unique factions in eras of Antiquity.

I mean, there's only one Sparta. You could easily get the 3 major cultural groups from the tribes of ancient Hispania. And there's even differences between the various steppe and eastern factions.

But I think that even if the campaigns were to span from the Rise of Persia to at least the Fall of Rome, or maybe even the Viking Age, you could get a lot of unique factions out of it.

Proper Unit Tiers
This is actually something I've wanted to see be done for quite a while now.

Instead of having 5 or 6 unit tiers that are all kind of superficial in a lot of ways, they should just bring it down to 4 simple tiers.

Those being Levy, Irregular, Professional, and Elite unit tiers.

To simply put the tiers into context

Levy: Vigiles and Levy Freemen.
Irregular: Hastati and Celtic Warriors.
Professional: Legionary Cohort and Chosen Swordsmen.
Elite: Evocati Cohorts and Oathsworn.

And I think that not only should the different tiers' stats be different in the simple sense that elite units have a lot more MA than the levy units, but that most of their stats should more effectively reflect the unit's status.

Professional and Elite units for instance should not only have better combat stats, but usually a lot better armor and even weapon damage due to their higher quality weapons and armor.

Levy units should feel like they're just the farmers and peasants who are rounded up, given weapons, and told to go fight.

Irregular units should feel more like what you might call a proper militia force, that is, units that have some training and a mixture of experience.

Professional units should feel like, well, professional full time soldiers or warriors who are highly trained and very competent at what they do.

Elite units should feel like they're already the veterans and so on who have either come up through the ranks of the common soldiers or come from the noble class of the culture. They should feel like your very best troops who can be handle almost anything.

Unit Weight Classes
Now this is something I really want to see be brought in from Troy, but expanded upon.

I don't just want the infantry to have weight classes, but for it to be expanded to encompass cavalry as well.

I want the weight classes to not simply effect how much armor a unit has, but also just how fast they are, which should matter.

Light infantry and cavalry should easily outpace their medium and heavy cousins.

The unit speeds should be something like this

Light Infantry: 45 Speed
Medium Infantry" 35 Speed
Heavy Infantry: 30-35 Speed
Light Cavalry: 90 Speed
Medium Cavalry: 70 Speed
Heavy Cavalry: 50-60 Speed

Now that's just to give a basic idea of what their speeds should be like. Because there would be different things to factor in as well.

But I also think that just because a unit's within a certain weight class, that doesn't mean that they can only ever be one thing.

Light units for instances shouldn't just be strictly light skirmishers who can only be good at shooting their enemies, some of them should also be able to be deadly melee fighters as well.

Things like those Celtic Naked Warriors and Iberian Guerilla Fighters should be light units that are pretty deadly if they're used effectively.

While heavy units should be in a sense more like "line them up and march them forward".

And again, that's just to give a basic idea of what they could do with the unit weight classes in a TW Antiquity.

And I think that a unit's stamina should be somewhat determined by their unit tier and weight class as well. With most professional and elite units having standardly good stamina, but professional and elite light units have excellent stamina.

That would make sense, since they're just has highly trained as their medium and heavy cousins, but aren't weighed down by armor and such.

But I will expand upon the other topics mentioned above in other threads.

So please bear with me on this.
Post edited by VikingHuscal1066 on

Comments

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,191
    I think I’d prefer the Bronze Age - Rise of Assyria
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,404
    I prefer Bronze Age - Egypt
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,764
    A couple of off-topic comments removed.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 1,600

I think I’d prefer the Bronze Age - Rise of Assyria

jamreal18 said:

I prefer Bronze Age - Egypt

I don't know guys.

I really think that a Bronze Age TW would be for fitting for a Saga TW game, mainly due to it's kind of more zoomed in focus for the time period.

I mean, I think it'd be a "big" Saga campaign, but just not worth being its own full standalone TW game.

And I also think that them trying to make some sort of transition between Bronze and Iron for weapons would be a little tricky to do.
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 1,012
    I feel like the reason why the antiquity is interesting, is really the mythology. If you are going to turn it into another Troy 2.0, it will fail because a pure historical (non fantasy) antiquity...will be just another time period where people fight via throwing stones and pointing pointy sticks at each other.

Total War antiquity will be best if they took the Age of Mythology approach.

Pure historical total war setting is best in the gunpowder or medieval era.
    united84 said:

I feel like the reason why the antiquity is interesting, is really the mythology. If you are going to turn it into another Troy 2.0, it will fail because a pure historical (non fantasy) antiquity...will be just another time period where people fight via throwing stones and pointing pointy sticks at each other.

Well, I don't really want a TW Antiquity to be a Troy 2.0, but more so, like a Rome 3 but taken even further.

And I want to see the time periods the various different campaigns cover span from periods like the Rise of Persia to the Fall of Rome, and maybe as far as the Viking Age.

That way you could get a lot of interesting factions and such to play around with.
  • Lotor12Lotor12 Registered Users Posts: 522
    edited May 11
    united84 said:

I guess, that the mythological setting would be good with WH mechanics - classic soldiers + monsters, creatures, and single unit heroes
    but it would be pointless to make this game after Warhammer trilogy

With the "historical" setting (no creatures or single unit heroes) I would go to middle east, and the events displayed in Age of Empire -1- , rise of Babylonian empire, Hittite Empire, Assyrians, Egypt, Persia and struggle of these ancient civilizations

I think, it fits in to "bronze age" concept mentioned here before
    Lotor12 said:

I guess, that the mythological setting would be good with WH mechanics - classic soldiers + monsters, creatures, and single unit heroes
    but it would be pointless to make this game after Warhammer trilogy

With the "historical" setting (no creatures or single unit heroes) I would go to middle east, and the events displayed in Age of Empire -1- , rise of Babylonian empire, Hittite Empire, Assyrians, Egypt, Persia and struggle of these ancient civilizations

I think, it fits in to "bronze age" concept mentioned here before

This isn't a topic about an Age of Mythology TW or anything, but just a historical TW game that covers most of the eras and major conflicts of Antiquity.

And I honestly think that a Bronze Age TW game would be more fitting for a "larger" Saga TW game.