Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Performance for tww3

ArchDemonArchDemon Registered Users Posts: 126
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
I really hope they have improved the performance for tww3.

more often than not I lag playing tww2 at a point I get frustrated and stop playing it. and to add on this I got:

I7-7700k
Nvidida Geforce 3070
32 Gb of ram at like 3000 rpm or what its called
z270 gaming motherboard (forgot its full name and im not home so cant check)
watercooling + fans
got a gaming monitor at 144fps

if I play with a total army size on both sides at 0-4000 units its usally fine get 46-110 fps and I can survive that no problems really
at 5000 and above I start to get 10-40 fps and its when it gets bellow 20 it really starts to get frustrating
tried 12 000 and I had 5 fps when they all where having a massive war

BUUUUT if I play that labratory battles where you can experiment I can play with 0-9000 and get 30-90 fps at 9000+ it slowly gets worse but still very playable

I have been playing around with the settings since the game came out it has gotten better with tweaking it as good as I can but the fps improve by 5-10 more

I do however like to zoom down and watch the fights
use massive spells and suchs and just the the blood and gore all over. ( yes iknow the blood and gore affects the fps allot)

so I really hope the performance will atleast get somewhat better. I dont know what you guys think about this
but for me the highest I have ever seen in tww2 is 90-130 fps and its at the campaign map

Comments

• ROMOBOY#7812ROMOBOY#7812 Registered Users Posts: 4,823
    I seen quite a few stutters and bad renders in their gameplay reveal. Hopefully that doesn’t mean anything for the finished product.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• peabodyestate#9505peabodyestate#9505 Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    But.... but.... thats much better than mine! Im low low low and still experience poor lag - im actually quite disheartened that your specs are not enough to go top end. Would love it if ytou did another thread when you have a new rig and let us know how you get on.
  • ArchDemonArchDemon Registered Users Posts: 126

But.... but.... thats much better than mine! Im low low low and still experience poor lag - im actually quite disheartened that your specs are not enough to go top end. Would love it if ytou did another thread when you have a new rig and let us know how you get on.

yeah I can do that :)
    might also make a thread when tww3 is out and talk about the performance from tww2 and tww3 and compare it
  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 1,430
    The game is so poorly optimized that even if you can technically move the game to the maximum you will end whit everything in minimum because the recommended requirements are false and come with the small print that they are only applicable in certain specific circumstances.
    brago90 said:

The game is so poorly optimized that even if you can technically move the game to the maximum you will end whit everything in minimum because the recommended requirements are false and come with the small print that they are only applicable in certain specific circumstances.

yeah iknow. I just turned off shadows since its pretty fps heavy and a few other things. it has for sure helped but I feel with what I got it should not be neccecary. but I 100% agree its very badly optimized. I also know that when they made tww1 the coding is a mess or was. I do belive they fixed it.
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    have to remember this games isnt optimized that well, plus i have yet to see a PC run a true large scale battle that Total War brings to the table
  • RamsesIII#4621RamsesIII#4621 Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    ROMOBOY said:

I seen quite a few stutters and bad renders in their gameplay reveal. Hopefully that doesn’t mean anything for the finished product.

Meanwhile youtubers playing through streaming (meaning CA's computers are the ones running the game) ran way, way better so it's a puzzling situation for sure.

• Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 16,090
    ROMOBOY said:

It ran very smoothly for the youtubers though.
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,549
    RamsesIII said:

ROMOBOY said:

Meanwhile youtubers playing through streaming (meaning CA's computers are the ones running the game) ran way, way better so it's a puzzling situation for sure.

They did something stupid when they uploaded videos , heir of carthage and indy kind of explained it in their streams or comments.

They are essentially not good at this stuff.
    If its not fod leaks i am pretty sure letting someone like a good yt due the reveal is much better.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Beef545Beef545 Registered Users Posts: 764
    Don't know what's up with you people, my WH2 is running excellent on those specs

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
    RAM: 16GB

wouldn't worry about WH3

The age of Men is over. The time of the Troll has come.
    Beef545 said:

Don't know what's up with you people, my WH2 is running excellent on those specs

wouldn't worry about WH3

what is your fps with 5000+?

you might say its fine but it might also be because you dont notice the lag.
    I didnt until I got a 144 on my monitor
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,477
    ArchDemon said:

more often than not I lag playing tww2 at a point I get frustrated and stop playing it. and to add on this I got:

I7-7700k
    Nvidida Geforce 3070
    watercooling + fans

if I play with a total army size on both sides at 0-4000 units its usally fine get 46-110 fps and I can survive that no problems really
    at 5000 and above I start to get 10-40 fps and its when it gets bellow 20 it really starts to get frustrating

BUUUUT if I play that labratory battles where you can experiment I can play with 0-9000 and get 30-90 fps at 9000+ it slowly gets worse but still very playable

I have been playing around with the settings since the game came out it has gotten better with tweaking it as good as I can but the fps improve by 5-10 more

use massive spells and suchs and just the the blood and gore all over. ( yes iknow the blood and gore affects the fps allot)

so I really hope the performance will atleast get somewhat better. I dont know what you guys think about this
    but for me the highest I have ever seen in tww2 is 90-130 fps and its at the campaign map

If your game is stuttering on that... there's something wrong on the software end, OR you need to check your RAM and GPU RAM for bad sectors.

I suggest you straight up check your RAMs, then format everything and set your computer back up from scratch. If you still have problems after that... I don't even know. You're cursed.

Also -- be sure you don't have a bunch of other crap running in the background.

And lastly... check your power settings... windows defaults to some hippy BS power scheme that actually throttles your system to be green. You need to laugh in American and set that thing to full throttle and eat up that power like a good boy.
  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 1,430
    RamsesIII said:

ROMOBOY said:

I do not know who you will see but I am Spanish and I see Spanish people and what they comment is that the game worked very badly with the issue of playing remotely and that in the recordings it is not noticeable.
    Itharus said:

ArchDemon said:

I7-7700k
    Nvidida Geforce 3070
    watercooling + fans

If your game is stuttering on that... there's something wrong on the software end, OR you need to check your RAM and GPU RAM for bad sectors.

I suggest you straight up check your RAMs, then format everything and set your computer back up from scratch. If you still have problems after that... I don't even know. You're cursed.

Also -- be sure you don't have a bunch of other crap running in the background.

And lastly... check your power settings... windows defaults to some hippy BS power scheme that actually throttles your system to be green. You need to laugh in American and set that thing to full throttle and eat up that power like a good boy.
    hmm I gotta check on that power setting. everything else I have tested.
    I would say I was cursed but I can play all other games just fine with no problems what so ever it only happens when I play total war games

last year I spent 5 months fixing my pc trying to find the blue screen errors I got. I tested everything and when I fixed it i got a new problem.

I managed to fix it and in doing so I had tested each ram graphic card I even got a new motherboard since I suspected the MOtherboard to be **** in some way.

ended up being something wrong with 1 ram card out of 4 and then got 2 new ram card from the place I bought them.

but its also like people say the performance is kinda **** on this game in itself like I said I can play the labratory experiment with more units and everything and it feels for the most part fine but the moment I trt custom battles I can feel its a little bit worse
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,477
    Weird. Problem is beyond my abilities to solve :( Have you tried asking on a pc-tech website? Like Tom's Hardware or the like? I just flat out assumed you tried driver-clean up and fresh installs of those, roll backs of them etc as prolly your first step, and so didn't even bring it up before, but will now just in case; on that note btw: onboard sound drivers for motherboards often have updates you gotta go load into your bios and what not, and they frequently cause problems if you don't do so. Don't neglect any of your drivers, system wide, in case you didn't know -- when one's screwy it can cause a whole cascade of latency in your PC that causes other systems to have issues, too. Can't remember what it's called tho... something like DPC latency or something? I dunno. It's been a few years since I had to massive dig into my system :(

Good luck!
  • NeverBackDown#9942NeverBackDown#9942 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,877
    Their biggest issue is CPU related. Once the game needs to process and render large scale battles the engine just becomes a bottleneck. You can see this with any task manager software or just task manager itself. CPU is not even 100%, GPU low utilization, and as a result terrible fps. The CPU pipeline is just bad. No way around it. When it doesn't need to do a lot it's fine, as soon as you reach a point of ~6k-7k units on screen it craps the bed.

Dx12 or Vulkan would help, but if their main pipeline doesn't get any improvements then it only helps so much. They are just to single thread bound. They say it's multi threaded, which it is, but the problem is it's not multithreaded enough and largely still single thread bound. TW3k made large improvements but it's not enough and once battles hit a certain size it still bogs down.

Game just needs a massive optimization improvement. CA have done well with 3k and WH1, but fallen short in other areas. It's one reason why WH2 campaign is shrunk down. From a technical perspective they don't have the performance overhead to not have you sandwich the map. It should not have to be cramped down. If they reduce Old/New world to make room for the Eastern map, it's really just going to reduce the quality of the game.

Hopefully they can address the CPU bottleneck. It's 2021, we should be further ahead by now in the RTS genre. FPS games get all the money and as a result have been much better in overall optimization/visuals but it's been years now.

As a (non game)developer I don't have nearly as much to optimize so I don't want to be to harsh, but it's kind of getting to the point where it just plainly needs to be fixed with no sugar coating.

Hope this comes off non argumentive/bashing.
    Itharus said:

Weird. Problem is beyond my abilities to solve :( Have you tried asking on a pc-tech website? Like Tom's Hardware or the like? I just flat out assumed you tried driver-clean up and fresh installs of those, roll backs of them etc as prolly your first step, and so didn't even bring it up before, but will now just in case; on that note btw: onboard sound drivers for motherboards often have updates you gotta go load into your bios and what not, and they frequently cause problems if you don't do so. Don't neglect any of your drivers, system wide, in case you didn't know -- when one's screwy it can cause a whole cascade of latency in your PC that causes other systems to have issues, too. Can't remember what it's called tho... something like DPC latency or something? I dunno. It's been a few years since I had to massive dig into my system :(

Good luck!

thanks might look into those again. been like a little over 1 year since I last updated or checked my motherboard and such. allthought have had this for years but again worth checking :)

my past job was fixing computers but hwen you do it daily you get sick of it and wanna do anything but fix computers xD
    so I take all the info I can I might learn something new :) havent really done pc fixing for 3 years now so. mainly my own ofc
    I do wanna add I genuinly think im cursed.

trying to figure out why I get 30 fps with my specs and then my other friend who also streams gets 60+ who has a way worse pc than me has no issues
  • mightygloin#2446mightygloin#2446 Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 6,123
    ArchDemon said:

Beef545 said:

wouldn't worry about WH3

what is your fps with 5000+?

you might say its fine but it might also be because you dont notice the lag.
    I didnt until I got a 144 on my monitor
    He's just having fun as usual. With a 960m toaster you're gonna get 30 fps at 640x480 on lowest settings at best.