Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ice is looking bad

BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 860
My problem with the Ice that it is not affected by lightning/shading system, it has too much glow, making it look like popsicle and generally being a cheap bad graphics.

CA, make it look better!

Comments

• LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 687
    What is wrong with simply a sled?

I don't mind the fantasy elements of nuKislev, but the ice on the sleds and beartillery just seems unnecessary.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    If you pay attention to the video, you can also see how terrible the units interact with the terrain. It looks goofy in my opinion.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,669
    I genuinely haven't noticed what the sleds actually look like, because every time I see the model my vision is drawn to and stuck on that damn glowy ice.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,105
    Really hoping this is not a lighting issue that saw WH1 units look bad in WH2. Ethereal units look terrible in WH2 lighting. Hopefully WH3 will return to a darker look.
  • endikuxendikux Registered Users Posts: 768
    The ice on the sleds has been the #1 visual issue that simply doesn't look good.

Perhaps just having a simple sled rail that is ice instead of metal. Instead of having this blocky mass of ice with jagged edges pointed every which way.
  • mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Why can't it just be a sled dragged on snow? Would look better normal than with the ice effects.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,725
    endikux said:

The ice on the sleds has been the #1 visual issue that simply doesn't look good.

Perhaps just having a simple sled rail that is ice instead of metal. Instead of having this blocky mass of ice with jagged edges pointed every which way.

endikux said:

Actually this. All of this.

Making the rails look like ice is a compromise so simple and effective it's amazing this is the first I've seen of it. People who want to argue that Ice Magic is how it keeps moving win, people who want less of a gaudy appearance win. Everyone wins.
  • cabans33cabans33 Registered Users Posts: 552
    Can't wait to see how it looks in Nekehara desert...
  • yukontherunyukontherun Registered Users Posts: 869
    It makes sense that the sleds generate magic ice so that it's all terrain, what it doesn't make sense is that the ice is spiky instead of an ice plate to slide on.
    Justice for the scalies!

Basic fixes for blessed spawnings and geomantic web:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/293369/lizardmen-rework-suggestions/p1?new=1
  • FerdiadLivesFerdiadLives Registered Users Posts: 161

I don't mind the fantasy elements of nuKislev, but the ice on the sleds and beartillery just seems unnecessary.

You don't ''mind'' the fantasy elements of a fantasy faction in a fantasy game?
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 2,706

Because they wanted to emphasize Kislev's Magic, specifically under Katarina, which to be honest, makes sense.

However I agree, that the effect is quite unfitting in regards to the environment.

A Simple Sleed though might be dumb for quite a lot of terrain, so having some magic beneath it seems reasonable.

Its just not homogenic.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 4,430
    The ice is a bit unnecessary for sure. I would've preferred plain old regular sleds.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • RamsesIIIRamsesIII Registered Users Posts: 868

But wouldn't the sled's mobility be affected depending on the terrain? I'm pretty sure that's what the magical ice is for. But I agree that the implementation could be better.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,155
    RamsesIII said:

But wouldn't the sled's mobility be affected depending on the terrain? I'm pretty sure that's what the magical ice is for. But I agree that the implementation could be better.
    As potentially as silly as it would look - i thinl i'd prefer it with no Ice then too much Ice.
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    RamsesIII said:

We have tons of other vehicles that should have serious movement problems in a lot of terrain that happily move about without a magical effect attached. And if you wanted a magical sled why not simply give it frost covered runners that left a trail of snow/ice behind it like Settras Chariot does with it's 'flames'?
  • RamsesIIIRamsesIII Registered Users Posts: 868
    KN_Gars said:

RamsesIII said:

We have tons of other vehicles that should have serious movement problems in a lot of terrain that happily move about without a magical effect attached. And if you wanted a magical sled why not simply give it frost covered runners that left a trail of snow/ice behind it like Settras Chariot does with it's 'flames'?
    I think that proposal would be fine actually, my only issue is with the idea of sleds not having anything to adapt them to other terrains. I feel like it's more noticeable than with most wheeled vehicles, but yeah, I think some different effects would have worked better.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 13,894
    RamsesIII said:

KN_Gars said:

RamsesIII said:

I think that proposal would be fine actually, my only issue is with the idea of sleds not having anything to adapt them to other terrains. I feel like it's more noticeable than with most wheeled vehicles, but yeah, I think some different effects would have worked better.
    It literally has the snow trail effect. Tone down the ice and it will look fine.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • ConstantineZAynConstantineZAyn Registered Users Posts: 231
    They could just get rid of the sled and give the thing wheels. But that would make them too much like the empire, and that's a no-no!
  • DrazhoaththeAshenDrazhoaththeAshen Registered Users Posts: 279
    It wasn't originally something that bothered me. But the more I see it the more I dislike it, so I know if it stays around it is going to become an eyesore for me. The third still is particularly upsetting, because that image would look magnificent were the ice to be removed. I'm definitely in the no ice (or greatly reduced ice) camp now.

Keep calm and praise Hashut
    Beautiful artwork by Matt Hancox
  • peabodyestatepeabodyestate Registered Users Posts: 1,296
    The ice is fisher price. The rest of it is Tiffany. Look at the rest of that model, and then look athre accompanying model. SO GOOD. The ice is garish and poo.
  • endikuxendikux Registered Users Posts: 768
  • peabodyestatepeabodyestate Registered Users Posts: 1,296
    edited May 24
    Better, but just turn the brightness down 200%.

Or make them out of metal/wood.

That is deffo better though.
  • MaksboMaksbo Registered Users Posts: 394
    endikux said:

How about

This is amillion times better. They could even make it appear like metal on the top/close to sled, and have it be ice closer to the ground, maybe with some icicles on order to portray the magic of the ice, leaving behind it frozen lines when it moves. I could accept the sled then
  • DrazhoaththeAshenDrazhoaththeAshen Registered Users Posts: 279
    endikux said:

How about

Beautiful. I am down with that look. Orders of magnitude better.

Keep calm and praise Hashut
    Beautiful artwork by Matt Hancox
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 1,166

The ice is fisher price. The rest of it is Tiffany. Look at the rest of that model, and then look athre accompanying model. SO GOOD. The ice is garish and poo.

Yes, the difference in quality is jaring, now some other ice effects have also been in need of more polish but with the sleds it reaches critical mass and really disrupts the impression of the unit due to the contrast between the slab of ice and the sled.
  • LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 687
    endikux said:

How about

This is great!
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 4,718
    endikux said:

How about

Whoa even i wouldn't complain at that. Just some iced metal, nothing over the top or unbelievable. Won't charm 11 year olders as much as the previous one, but it's definitely better already.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    endikux said:

How about

Looks way better, but turn down the brightness so it isn't a laser sled