Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

After 4 years of playing... i dont enjoy TW Warhammer anymore...

2»

Comments

• Dumbledood#5172Dumbledood#5172 Registered Users Posts: 374
    I'm kind of in the same place. It's normal I guess. You wouldn't watch the same movie, or read the same book over and over. But after taking breaks for a while it's fun to come back to for a little bit (same metaphor kind of goes for books and movies sometimes haha). I think game 3 will have some fun new lords and factions which will add something different but ultimately it's still the same game.
  • DrazhoaththeAshen#9598DrazhoaththeAshen#9598 Registered Users Posts: 890

I'm kind of in the same place. It's normal I guess. You wouldn't watch the same movie, or read the same book over and over. But after taking breaks for a while it's fun to come back to for a little bit (same metaphor kind of goes for books and movies sometimes haha). I think game 3 will have some fun new lords and factions which will add something different but ultimately it's still the same game.

I mean... Lord of the Rings, though! I've watched it more times than I care to admit.

But yeah, there is a reason we have the phrase "absence makes the heart grow fonder." Take a nice long break and come into the third title fresh. As with all things in life, sometimes you just need a reset.
    What is normal for the spider is Chaos for the fly.
  • LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 689
    Yeah, I am on a break as well. Started getting into other Paradox games in addition to Stellaris, and cooking a lot of new stuff.
  • KaiserofKiotoKaiserofKioto Registered Users Posts: 80
    Beef545 said:

I mean it's normal, 4 years already is way more than you could expect from such a shallow game as warhammer. WH3 is coming, but that game won't keep your interest for longer, as its pretty much same as previous warhammer but with new races.

Edit. I recommend paradox games as your new source of enjoyment.

Beef545 said:

RikRiorik said:

it happens. take a break from it. Play something else until either the DLC drops or WH3 comes out. I'm playing Monster Hunter World Iceborne myself.

Or pick up another hobby. I picked up skateboarding in May 2019, just around the time when my interest in the game started becoming less pronounced.
    Skateboarding is dangerous, if OP really needs new hobby then i suggest getting a pet ( cat preferably) or reading books, there's plenty of good books out there, even in fanstasy genre. Malazan book of the fallen for example is just as grimdark as warhammer but actually written in serious tone. Stormlight archives and Kingkiller chronicles also nice, although aimed for a younger audience.

Play Shogun 2 and/or Fall of The Samurai. Then play Rome 2.

Then spend years thinking about what the Warhammer trilogy could have been, had it been build on the design foundations of the former rather than the latter.

Oh, i would buy ten copies if only they made a renisanse/victoria game based on Shogun 2 standard instead of modern direction, where all the attention is given to campaign while battles(especially their ui) is left to be finished by local janitors.
    Warhammer immerses you in the world of warhammer, this is what those games should be about. especially with few visual mods and sfo, newer titles feel really wierd. troy was straight up sad.
    I feel like in the future we will have just squares of bare synchronized moving ragdols instead of a unit, with a giant green unit name like "persian speamen" flying above them insted of a flag. "bUt WhO zOOmS in aNyWaY"

I at least can understand the reason why animtions suck, to save some money so some **** executive can have more additional payments, but why they replage flags with flying green/red ****?

p.s: interesting coincedence that two my favorite eras are the only ones not represented by ca...
  • RoyalXJ#1230RoyalXJ#1230 Registered Users Posts: 87
    I myself have always had droughts with TW:W - I haven't played since Twisted and the Twilight in December/January or something like that, and I hadn't played since around the previous May (as in, the release date of Warden and the Paunch) before that. I have loads of fun every time I come back to TW:W, but I personally couldn't play it on its own for too long a length of time. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Played Vermintide 2 in the meantime, along with some patches of Civ6 and Injustice 2, got around to playing through the Red Dead Redemption 2 epilogue, even managed to get myself back in the Witcher 3. I'm brimming with anticipation for TW:W3, and I think I have been since at least Warden and the Paunch - I find the breaks I take help the time pass. Haven't even lurked on the forums in a long while to keep it off my mind.

Starting to see the whole "addiction" point, but you know, at least it ain't drugs, right?
    Beef545 said:

RikRiorik said:

it happens. take a break from it. Play something else until either the DLC drops or WH3 comes out. I'm playing Monster Hunter World Iceborne myself.

Or pick up another hobby. I picked up skateboarding in May 2019, just around the time when my interest in the game started becoming less pronounced.
    Skateboarding is dangerous, if OP really needs new hobby then i suggest getting a pet ( cat preferably) or reading books, there's plenty of good books out there, even in fanstasy genre. Malazan book of the fallen for example is just as grimdark as warhammer but actually written in serious tone. Stormlight archives and Kingkiller chronicles also nice, although aimed for a younger audience.
    huh, i own a cat and have a small personal library)
  • KhahirrKhahirr Registered Users Posts: 14
    edited May 2021
    Beef545 said:

I mean it's normal, 4 years already is way more than you could expect from such a shallow game as warhammer.

Edit. I recommend paradox games as your new source of enjoyment.

Warhammer isn't that shallow. Also after paradox has botched every major release for the past 4 years I can't advocate buying their games anymore. If you think CA nickle and dimes you just wait until Paradox is yet again reselling features from previous games in a series as dlc making the newest game unplayable without them.

• GradenGraden Senior Member Corinth, GreeceRegistered Users Posts: 733

Also, TW:WH broke this guy:

After realizing how total war and paradox games DLC schedules (might) make you addicted, he decided to erase his channel.

His last official video was this: at the end he decides to finish his total war youtuber status.

Jesus. That's a bit extreme don't you think?
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    edited May 2021
    thats pretty much everyone, i played a good amount but i need progression or something new to keep my interest and thats with every game not just Total War

give it a break and if you watch LOTR or some fantasy movie your urge will come back
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,091

After realizing how total war and paradox games DLC schedules (might) make you addicted, he decided to erase his channel.

His last official video was this: at the end he decides to finish his total war youtuber status.

That guy is full of crap. He says the blatantly obvious and is your typical salt for views Youtuber that a certain type of fan falls for.
  • DaGangster#8697DaGangster#8697 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,917
    Yeah I'm in the same boat also. I'm sure game 3 will breath some new life into it for me, especially the new combined map.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 2,484

That guy is full of crap. He says the blatantly obvious and is your typical salt for views Youtuber that a certain type of fan falls for.
    AP is a joke, he's a historical fan and bashes warhammer
    edited May 2021

Is bashing warhammer really a sin? i basically lived in it and i have alot to say about things it gets wrong.

And even tho i started playing historicals only after 1500th hour of warhammer and unaffected by nostalgia, i can clearly see what they miss
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,590

He actually doesn't. Though. He admitted to even playing it.

That's his arch nemesis your thinking about, the one who doesn't even play the game but criticise it none the less.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• kevManiac#4754kevManiac#4754 Registered Users Posts: 1,049

Anyone else has similar thing going on?e

Same here. As many people state, try something else. And come back later on when you feel like it. Could be a month, could be a year.

I don't really know the situation you're in, if you play other games and all, but in my situation I don't really find that much joy in playing any game lately. I figured it must be due to the pandemic, which changed the time gaming/ social events ratio to about 90/10 instead of 20/80. I've had an oversaturation of gaming I guess. So I nowadays try to focus on other things such as painting, watching movies, prepping D&D etc, and hope the joy will come back when the time is right. Not sure if it applies in your specific case, but I hope it'll still help :)
    Races I'd like to see, in order of preference: Chaos Dwarfs, Southern Realm/ DoW, Araby, Nippon, Hobgoblin Kharnate, Kuresh, Ind.
  • Valkaar#2507Valkaar#2507 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,880

Yeah, this guy's brought it on himself. Total War didn't break him or his channel. The formula/strategy for his channel was ultimately self-defeating from the very beginning.

He argued that his channel was "about" historical Total War.

It wasn't.

He almost never actually covered historical Total War games in a meaningful way. Heck, HeirofCarthage covered Rome Remastered way more than this guy did. And Heir's channel is primarily about Warhammer these days. This guy's channel is *supposedly* about historical Total War. But he can't be bothered to cover it more than Warhammer.

In practice, his channel was solely about flaming Total War. Particularly 'Nu' Total War. Constantly. Not only is that not 'about' anything. But it's a niche that's already been filled by tons of other channels, like Republic of Play, Volound, etc.

^^The difference between this guy, and those guys, is that those guys also had other games that they ACTUALLY PLAYED. And enjoyed. And informed the community about. Like Volound actually does Shogun 2, Three Kingdoms, and Fallout Let's Plays......in addition to his Total War critique videos. Republic of Play goes out of his way to find quality indie-games on Steam, and calls attention to them for those seeking alternative strategy titles. In addition to critiquing recent Total War titles..

^^This guy, does NONE of those things. Except critique Total War titles.

This guy....out of his past 30 videos....all 30 were about Total War games....and 29 of which were negative critiques. None of which were really about him playing the games or informing people about the games in a meaningful way. Even his positive video was like a backhanded compliment. The tone was basically: "this piece of DLC was actually good....unlike all the crap Total War games and DLC...hopefully the rest in the future will be less crappy and be more like this DLC".

Now, there's nothing wrong with providing critiques. But for gaming channels, most of the time, there has to be a game (or games) that said channel actually enjoys/plays/reviews for people.

Or...

If you plan on only doing critiques or parodies of something....at least make them funny. Or make it about about a wide spectrum of games...like Honest Trailers does for movies or something, so you can attract a wide audience.

But to make videos for a niche audience (specifically Total War games/fans)....and then to spend the bulk of your time just flaming those games.....ofc you're going to turn off the audience that your videos are supposedly for. Like, that's just not a recipe for success.
  • Mogwai_Man#4978Mogwai_Man#4978 Registered Users Posts: 6,096
    edited May 2021
    You're burned out, it happens. I'm not sure if I'll play WH3, I've been really enjoying playing AoS a lot. 3rd edition is coming out this Summer and the tournament scene is too.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,790
    Valkaar said:

Yeah, this guy's brought it on himself. Total War didn't break him or his channel. The formula/strategy for his channel was ultimately self-defeating from the very beginning.

He argued that his channel was "about" historical Total War.

It wasn't.

He almost never actually covered historical Total War games in a meaningful way. Heck, HeirofCarthage covered Rome Remastered way more than this guy did. And Heir's channel is primarily about Warhammer these days. This guy's channel is *supposedly* about historical Total War. But he can't be bothered to cover it more than Warhammer.

In practice, his channel was solely about flaming Total War. Particularly 'Nu' Total War. Constantly. Not only is that not 'about' anything. But it's a niche that's already been filled by tons of other channels, like Republic of Play, Volound, etc.

^^The difference between this guy, and those guys, is that those guys also had other games that they ACTUALLY PLAYED. And enjoyed. And informed the community about. Like Volound actually does Shogun 2, Three Kingdoms, and Fallout Let's Plays......in addition to his Total War critique videos. Republic of Play goes out of his way to find quality indie-games on Steam, and calls attention to them for those seeking alternative strategy titles. In addition to critiquing recent Total War titles..

^^This guy, does NONE of those things. Except critique Total War titles.

This guy....out of his past 30 videos....all 30 were about Total War games....and 29 of which were negative critiques. None of which were really about him playing the games or informing people about the games in a meaningful way. Even his positive video was like a backhanded compliment. The tone was basically: "this piece of DLC was actually good....unlike all the crap Total War games and DLC...hopefully the rest in the future will be less crappy and be more like this DLC".

Now, there's nothing wrong with providing critiques. But for gaming channels, most of the time, there has to be a game (or games) that said channel actually enjoys/plays/reviews for people.

Or...

If you plan on only doing critiques or parodies of something....at least make them funny. Or make it about about a wide spectrum of games...like Honest Trailers does for movies or something, so you can attract a wide audience.

But to make videos for a niche audience (specifically Total War games/fans)....and then to spend the bulk of your time just flaming those games.....ofc you're going to turn off the audience that your videos are supposedly for. Like, that's just not a recipe for success.
    The thing about YT is it's hard freaking work. If you're just guy X who only makes videos on a game you dislike you're not going to make a career out of it. A basic gimmick will only get you so far.

The whole negative thing is a great way to exclude yourself from the conversation. It's happened before. Negative people get excluded and it's their own fault. They have no leg to stand on. If you're always positive at least you're bringing good energy in.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • neverending#5226neverending#5226 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,953
    Yeah I can't have as much fun if I start another campaign, and it doesn't help I've basically been playing TWW since Call of Warhammer, in spirit of course. I'm trying to not play it hardly until TWW3 so it'll feel a little fresh again, with new stuff obviously.
    5900x @ stock , 4x8gb 3600mhz 14-16-16-36
    ASUS TUF 3080 12 GB
    4TB Sabrent NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0 w/ Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • Ninjipples#4797Ninjipples#4797 Registered Users Posts: 843
    edited May 2021

I have every achivement and thousands of hours in those two games(mostly in second), and played as every lord. i was addicted, i LOVED this game, but recently i just feel nothing while playing it, no negative empotions, just... nothing.
    and so i exit.

i guess i drained everything i could from this game, huh.

Anyone else has similar thing going on?

i hope that won't affect my enjoyment of third installemet, afer all, all my favorites(exept for already introduced empire and skaven) are about to arrive

I had this same feeling happen to me for both games. In WH1 it happened around the time of beastmen and I didn't regain any interest until the Belegar DLC. This gave me a breif resurgence but by the announcement of WH2 I was back to that same neutral feeling.

I loved WH2 at launch and played very happily for months but got that neutral/bored feeling again about a month after Tomb Kings. I had brief excitement for each DLC announcement but this was very fleeting and usually only resulted in prolonged enjoyment for major reworks to WH1 factions or HE LLs (even then usually only enough for 1 or 2 campaigns).

Every few months I will be compelled to play a campaign but I only enjoy it for about a week before it disappears again.

Part of this is that I rarely enjoy evil factions and when I do play them it is usually either DE or VC. The factions I enjoy the least are all either chaos factions or brettonia.

I am however excited to play both Cathay and Kislev in WH3 (mostly Cathay), both of whom I have been a hopeful advocate for since the trilogy was announced.
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,866
    Graden said:

Jesus. That's a bit extreme don't you think?
    The idea that a lord pack every 6 months is addictive is one of the most ridiculous things ive ever seen posted on the forum.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • Draxynnic#3149Draxynnic#3149 Registered Users Posts: 11,447
    Like many people have said - take a break, play something else until you get the itch to come back again.

There are so many good games out there even just looking at relatively recent fantasy strategy games that it's probably impossible to burn out on all of them.
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 2,313

I have every achivement and thousands of hours in those two games(mostly in second), and played as every lord. i was addicted, i LOVED this game, but recently i just feel nothing while playing it, no negative empotions, just... nothing.
    and so i exit.

i guess i drained everything i could from this game, huh.

Anyone else has similar thing going on?

i hope that won't affect my enjoyment of third installemet, afer all, all my favorites(exept for already introduced empire and skaven) are about to arrive

Yeah that's pretty standard game burn out, it's got nothing to do with actual game though. Just take a break for a few months, play something else, or even do something other than gaming
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,091
    Like someone said, try something like XCOM2, it’s different but a great game. I joined late and loved it. If you want to stay WH try Mechanicus, some of the best music heard in a game.
  • Kn_Gars#2718Kn_Gars#2718 Registered Users Posts: 3,347
    As the others have said, take a break an enjoy something else if possible. Getting burned out playing Total War or indeed any game for a long time is a very real thing. I've uninstalled WH2 and cut back on the other Total Wars just to rest & recover while waiting for WH3. Revisting some old RPG favourites and picking up some new ones have been great way to let Total War rest for me personally as the pandemic keeps making my other hobbies hard to enjoy.
    The user formerly known as KN_Gars, thanks for the involunatry rename CA.