Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Skaven - No flying units?

drogarito#2548drogarito#2548 Registered Users Posts: 1,768
Hey there! I noticed that Skaven is probably the only faction that has no flying units such as those bats that interrupt enemies' archers or some flying monsters in vein of dragons. I think it would be a goddamn good idea to see something like BIG FLYING BATTLE RAT on the battlefield or some pigeon rats whose sole purpose is to poison and disrupt those tricksy little archerssess. Yes-yes!

Comments

• saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,337
    no, by the Lady no

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • drogarito#2548drogarito#2548 Registered Users Posts: 1,768
    I mean, they need some units to add them some speed on the field in order to properly **** on the ranged factions a little bit.
  • Joeleth#9882Joeleth#9882 Registered Users Posts: 191

I mean, they need some units to add them some speed on the field in order to properly **** on the ranged factions a little bit.

that's what wolf rats are for.
  • kelembribor#4603kelembribor#4603 Registered Users Posts: 790
    There are some present on this art ( in the right - top corner) made for The Island of Blood boxed set of High Elves vs Skaven by Dave Gallagher - who had done many unreleased concepts - like Bretonnia for example.

Yeah but still no flying monster to be found. Think about it. Some cool flying rat squad with steampunk looks and screechy voice. If Pink Floyd had a pig with wings I guess that skaven could have something similar lol
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,476
    come on, we have to have something to scheize on the enemy! DEATH FROM ABOVE NYAHAHA
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,403
    The problem with that art is that the elves don't look skinny enough to be elves.
    And I am totally against Dragons. The lamest creature of them all. Nothing original about it. Lame ass thing-thing!
  • FinishingLast#1402FinishingLast#1402 Registered Users Posts: 4,856
    We need to resist the idea that every race shouldn't have any weaknesses and should be able to do everything well. The best part about this series is the asymmetrical factions which sadly have been watered down exactly in this way by shoring up most every weakness a lot of races have and some races have no weaknesses at all.

I don't want each race to play the same as the other. So no, I don't want flying units for Skaven or cavalry for dwarfs, or standard ranged units for VC.
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."
  • Reeks#2417Reeks#2417 Registered Users Posts: 10,267
    No, let's try to at least pretend to maintain the assymetry of this game....

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars

We need to resist the idea that every race shouldn't have any weaknesses and should be able to do everything well. The best part about this series is the asymmetrical factions which sadly have been watered down exactly in this way by shoring up most every weakness a lot of races have and some races have no weaknesses at all.

I don't want each race to play the same as the other. So no, I don't want flying units for Skaven or cavalry for dwarfs, or standard ranged units for VC.

This git gets it.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 21,404

Loads of factions have weaknesses, Skaven still has infantry weaknesses.

Giving Throt a single flying monster wouldn’t affect Skaven as a whole. That’s what make Skaven fun - themes.

Giving Throt a single flying monster wouldn’t affect Skaven as a whole. That’s what make Skaven fun - themes.
    Hogwash

Assymetry is way more important than some Skaven fanatics power fantasy

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

No they don't. Skaven have some elite arse infantry going on now. Far beyond what they have in their army books... I want to take a moment to point out that Stormvermin actually suck. They are basically just other faction's high-end standard troops, not even elite status. In TWWH though -- Skaven elites fight like elf elites.

So dumb.

Skaven have literally not one single weakness in this game at all. Not even slot-economy, because their troops were OP'd.
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,337
    Itharus said:

No they don't. Skaven have some elite arse infantry going on now. Far beyond what they have in their army books... I want to take a moment to point out that Stormvermin actually suck. They are basically just other faction's high-end standard troops, not even elite status. In TWWH though -- Skaven elites fight like elf elites.

So dumb.

Skaven have literally not one single weakness in this game at all. Not even slot-economy, because their troops were OP'd.
    honestly even in MP i am starting to see more and more strom vermin currently helberds than sword and shield but still and plague monk censor bears since after a Bug that effected infantry charge.

it only took the nerf to skaven slaves to absolutely make skaven players to take elite infantry and the knock down change

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 21,404
    Reeks said:

Hogwash

Asymmetry is the absence of symmetry, so yeah I agree, some factions will be a lot stronger than others.

If you really think a hard to catch single Dragon will affect the balance of Skaven you need to discharge some drama out of yourself.
    Itharus said:

So dumb.

They don’t, no infantry is required beyond Skaven Slaves on hard/very hard due to their poor leadership and they are nothing like elves elite infantry.

You mean just like the Elf factions?

Again, this is almost a scripted complaint based on little thought. A single Dragon in a Moulder army will do FO.
  • ForumaccountkroqgarForumaccountkroqgar Registered Users Posts: 869

Reeks said:

Hogwash

Asymmetry is the absence of symmetry, so yeah I agree, some factions will be a lot stronger than others.

If you really think a hard to catch single Dragon will affect the balance of Skaven you need to discharge some drama out of yourself.
    Itharus said:

So dumb.

They don’t, no infantry is required beyond Skaven Slaves on hard/very hard due to their poor leadership and they are nothing like elves elite infantry.

Again, this is almost a scripted complaint based on little thought. A single Dragon in a Moulder army will do FO.
    Skaven have supposedly a single weakness, flying units, that can be overcome just by bringing a ruin spellcaster. If you give them dragons (which hate them!) you no longer have to bring the spellcaster.
    Justice for the scalies!

Basic fixes for blessed spawnings and geomantic web:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/293369/lizardmen-rework-suggestions/p1?new=1
    Alright people i just realized that David is a raging Skaven fanatic after all, he is willing to sacrifice the one thing that makes Warhammer interesting: Assymetry, and all in the name of his own power fantasies.

Gross!

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

Reeks said:

Hogwash

Itharus said:

So dumb.

Skaven have supposedly a single weakness, flying units, that can be overcome just by bringing a ruin spellcaster. If you give them dragons (which hate them!) you no longer have to bring the spellcaster.
    Skaven would usually bring a ruin spell caster anyway. The Skaven weakness is leadership and trash infantry.
    Reeks said:

Alright people i just realized that David is a raging Skaven fanatic after all, he is willing to sacrifice the one thing that makes Warhammer interesting: Assymetry, and all in the name of his own power fantasies.

Gross!

And I realised you’re a Skaven fraud with an inner Elf

*shudder*
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180
    Red_Dox said:

No, we do not need flying rats in videogames too.

-----Red Dox

You can trashtalk pidgeons as much as you want, but don't you drag Seagulls in that mess ! They are beautiful, loud, amazing little ****
  • Killertut#9655Killertut#9655 Registered Users Posts: 1,110
    the skaven have an artificial meteorite, that is enough flying entities in my opinion.
  • Seswatha#7633Seswatha#7633 Registered Users Posts: 4,822
    edited June 2021
    While I don't think they should get any flying units in MP this would be a cool campaign only unit:

Skaven also deployed their own version of gyrocopters in the End times, so it's even somewhat lore friendly.

I don't think CA is doing campaign exclusive units beyond cheap kitbashes though.

While I don't think they should get any flying units in MP this would be a cool campaign only unit:

Skaven also deployed their own version of gyrocopters in the End times, so it's even somewhat lore friendly.

I don't think CA is doing campaign exclusive units beyond cheap kitbashes though.

The glorious salt mining opportunities that would give me.
  • Kebab_manKebab_man Registered Users Posts: 565

they have the fastest non flying units in the game, the fastest infantry, and even while there skirmish cav equivalent is slow, they use poison so cav have a hard time catching up to them
  • ladymissfit#8688ladymissfit#8688 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,480
    that's what the tunnelling is for
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox

Reeks said:

Hogwash

Itharus said:

So dumb.

Just because you can get away with nothing but skavenslaves doesn't mean the chunks of elite infantry they have don't exist. If you want to weapons team heavy and slave bulwark - go for it. But you can also very easily just take a solid infantry army and do work with it. Try looking at the roster beyond the weapon teams some time ;)