Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What are the chances of a Shogun 3 within the next decade?

Coldone666Coldone666 Registered Users Posts: 665
edited June 8 in Total War General Chat
I loved Shogun 2 and would kill for a 3rd one using the production values from The Warhammer 1+2 games plus adding better family tree/ diplomacy stuff.

I just worry that since we just had Three Kingdoms that we won't get another Asian TW for a log time since CA might think people will get burned out.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,705
    Wrong section dude.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 6,372
    As above, wrong section.

But I would expect maybe 1 sequel this decade, and maybe 1 new period. The sequel likely won't be Shogun, Medieval 3 or Empire 2 would be more likely, considering that Shogun 2 is not that old comparatively.
  • KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 3,047
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 3,592
    After 40K Total War. Fanrasy was a test, the real deal will be 40K. History is dead.
    *Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!

• ALHDONALHDON EstaliaRegistered Users Posts: 537
    literally 0.the fall of the samurai campaign finished off the series imho
    Warhammer 3 = Pogu Content
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,705

After 40K Total War. Fanrasy was a test, the real deal will be 40K. History is dead.

Mannnnn, Sisters of Battle would look great done properly in a 40K game.

The Sisters sub just hit 10k after being at 3k a year and a half ago.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 584
    Imjin Wars or Russo-Japanese War would be so freaking awesome!!!
  • GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 6,372

Eh? In what way was fantasy a test for 40K:TW? For a start TW has always been a historical series, which fantasy fits better with - there has never been a futuristic or even modern TW game (if there had been a WW2 one or something that would give 40K a lot more credence). Also to my knowledge there has not even been a hint that CA are as much as considering 40K, they may stick with Fantasy and do an AoS:TW in 6-10 years after WH3 has finished.

I mean I am not saying that there won't be a TW:40K, I don't think that is impossible at all, but saying Fantasy was a test for it is just downright wrong.
  • Kebab_manKebab_man Registered Users Posts: 153
    in terms of fantasy, quiet likely, in terms of historical, hopefully unlikely
  • VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 1,078

I disagree dude.

I don't think historical TW is dead, but the historical teams REALLY need to give us something good if they don't want historical TW to just fade away.
  • Daedalusx007Daedalusx007 Registered Users Posts: 246

Fantasy was a game based around Regiments and army scale conflict. It was a natural fit for Total War.

40k is a combined arms squad level game and just simply doesn't work in the Total War formula.

A 40k Total War would be awful. It isn't suited to Squad level gameplay. However Dawn of War 2 was a masterclass in a good format for 40k. Same for Dawn of War 1.
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong but those are the ways to bet.

Dogs of War or bust!
  • TheKarlsterTheKarlster Registered Users Posts: 75
    Goatforce said:

Eh? In what way was fantasy a test for 40K:TW? For a start TW has always been a historical series, which fantasy fits better with - there has never been a futuristic or even modern TW game (if there had been a WW2 one or something that would give 40K a lot more credence). Also to my knowledge there has not even been a hint that CA are as much as considering 40K, they may stick with Fantasy and do an AoS:TW in 6-10 years after WH3 has finished.

I think Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai already kinda fits the modern theme. Warhammer 2 also has a lot of Elements in it that could be considered "modern" with a different tint: Magic are basically WmD's, we have Flying Units with ranged attacks, we have a tremendous amount of ranged units that fire guns, rockets or even lasers, some of which are even capable melee fighters (like you would have in 40k), we also have bombardements (for example Black arks) and Deepstricking (summonable units), lastely we even have Mechs (for example the Hierotitan). We should also not ignore that 40k is basically have a fantasy genre already (melee combat, power armor, daemons, warp-magic and other fantasy tropes like orks and space elves).
    I don't think there was a hint for it either, but it seems like the most logical step for a new "fantasy"-game (Existing partnership with GW; a Sci-Fi Game beeing exotic for CA is definatly going to draw in the people; AoS still needing a lot of work to be fleshed out).

Fantasy was a game based around Regiments and army scale conflict. It was a natural fit for Total War.

40k is a combined arms squad level game and just simply doesn't work in the Total War formula.

A 40k Total War would be awful. It isn't suited to Squad level gameplay. However Dawn of War 2 was a masterclass in a good format for 40k. Same for Dawn of War 1.

I don't think the regiment/squad-argument can be applied here. We already have squad-like units in Warhammer 2 with the monstrous infantry. Space Marines for example could work very similar to Ushabti with Greatbows (with more mobility and rapid fire of course). Regiments don't need to go entirely either, the Imperial Guard and other very numerous faction can still use a regiment system.

Sorry for the hijack by the way. On topic: While I like Shogun, I think the most likely historical titel, that we will see in the next years is going to be Medieval 3. Hopefully they do it justice and part ways with the hybrid approach that they tried to implement in 3k and Troy.
  • Daedalusx007Daedalusx007 Registered Users Posts: 246
    You can think the arguement doesn't hold, but you'd be wrong. 40k benefits from modern presentation. Squads seeking cover, things like that.

Total war has a formula that only translates so far.

Seeing lines of infantry maneuver to gain position works for things like fall of the samurai. Seeing a bunch of Space Marines standing in a line blasting away at one another would look silly.
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong but those are the ways to bet.

Dogs of War or bust!
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,331
    Although I’d rather it wasn’t true (I’d like Victoria TW) there’s certainly a possibility that historical as we know it could be dead. When was the last time we had a historical game without single entity or more fantastical gameplay? It appears that Romance mode was by far the most popular in 3K, so what would that tell CA?

I’m not saying I know pure historical is over, but it does feel like a possibility.
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

• TheKarlsterTheKarlster Registered Users Posts: 75

40k benefits from modern presentation. Squads seeking cover, things like that.

Nothing CA can't implement. A Cover system is already partially in the game with different terrain.

Total war has a formula that only translates so far.

Funny, people also said that about Total War: Warhammer. Single Entity units, Flying Units, magic. Heck, like I mentioned previously a lot of the stuff we already have in the game would fit into a 40k game no problem. So do you expect me to belive that CA is unable to adjust their "formula" enough to fit a 40k game?

Seeing lines of infantry maneuver to gain position works for things like fall of the samurai. Seeing a bunch of Space Marines standing in a line blasting away at one another would look silly.

You mean like in DoW 1? Or do you mean like in DoW 3 were you also have a lot of ranged units standing in front of each other shoothing without cover or anything. Granted they are not as neat and tidely ordered a regiments are, but that can easily be fixed by changing the movement a bit if it hurts your aestethic preference.
    We should also consider that the scale of a Total War 40k would propably be closer to the apocalypse game mode rather than the base game, so "squads" might also be bigger in number.
    Lastely I think it should also be mentioned, that a lot of 40k Artwork actually depicts armys standing in line opposing the opposing enemy army lines. I know most of them do it more for the coolness-factor, rather than for logic but still, how logical and realistic are 40k-games really?
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,331
    I agree that 40k has a decent chance for a few reasons.

CA’s close relationship with GW
    The fact they recently hired a pure 40/30k game designer
    No one here knows the exact formula of what works or doesn’t work for a TW game and can’t really make that call.
    WHFB was the most popular game and is the only game to keep relatively high concurrent players, 40k is a lot more popular and has a huge fan base.
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

• DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    1. Wrong section
    2. Hopefully 0- we need a Medieval 3 and Empire 2 before we get Shogun 3 or Rome 3.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • SchusselSchussel Registered Users Posts: 797
    TW WH 40K
    TW Empire 2
    TW Medieval 3

Shogun 3

they would have to improve everything that much gameplay, factions etc.
    or make it more similar to 3K

the issue with S1 and S2 was that every factions is almost the same
    with the same units not enough diffrence to realy spend much time playing
    also not that much possibilities for dlcs or it would
    only be a copy of S2 with better graphics which isn't enough at all to buy it.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,229
    as soon as they release nippon for warhammer they would have to cancel shogun 3 like 3 kingdoms.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,968
    I prefer Korean Three Kingdoms instead of another Shogun.

Korea might feature Tang Dynasty, Jurchen, Khitan and Even Japan as well as they are ally of Baekje during that time.
  • Lotor12Lotor12 Registered Users Posts: 445
    I hope for it, Shogun 3 would be cool
    I like jappannise history,

But I guess it will be marked as "Saga" title