Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Unit cards debauch all over again

makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,955

Good things nowadays modders start fixing the game before it gets released.

Comments

• mecanojavi99#6562mecanojavi99#6562 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 11,458
    edited June 2021
    Too much background effects for my taste to be honest, specially the Khorne ones.

The job of the card is to show the unit, not to give it an over dramatic background.

And units like the Ice Guard just look simply worse, the effects eat the units.

The CA ones are far from perfect, but the mod ones aren't any better, choose your poison I suppose.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,746
    They look a bit meh and dramatic.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • 445Aas#5515445Aas#5515 Registered Users Posts: 412

Too much background effects for my taste to be honest, specially the Khorne ones.

The job of the card is to show the unit, not to give it an over dramatic background.

I agree. To much use of lightning. It was great for the dwarves but it's too much if everybody gets it.
    The warhammer 3 unit cards are bad but the modded ones are not that much better, i still can't easily distinguish between units. Khornes units look very similar. Some are quite hard to make out overall actually.

Something inbetween would be nice and the different units should be easier to differentiate from another.

The art for the warhammer 1 and 2 unit cards were just right, neither of these is as good as the old ones.
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    complainers even complain about the modders attempt to fix their original complaints
  • mecanojavi99#6562mecanojavi99#6562 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 11,458

complainers even complain about the modders attempt to fix their original complaints

Just because someone tries to fix something, we shouldn't just blindly praise it, specially when the result isn't far from the original.

Praise should be given when earned.

And me, personally, never had a problem with unit cards at all, simply because I don't give a Skaven ass about them.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous

I can like what i like and dislike what i dislike.

I like the old unit cards. Not much complaining there.

Also...

complainers even complainig about complainers complaining about the modders attempt to fix their original complaints
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    445Aas said:

Also...

complainers even complainig about complainers complaining about the modders attempt to fix their original complaints
    yet i havent had a complaint about the game yet soooooooo.... no
  • GreenColoured#2445GreenColoured#2445 Registered Users Posts: 6,960
    eeehhhh

Some of the modder arts look okay. But some are just over-designed and messy.

Like the Streltsi is absolutely metal and would make an amazing poster, sure. But for gameplay purposes the lightning in the background is unnecessary and distracting

445Aas said:

Also...

yet i havent had a complaint about the game yet soooooooo.... no
    Well, you are just better than me, what can i do.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,746

You're conflating two different things.

I can't remember ever complaining about the TWW3 unit cards.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 16,090
    edited June 2021
    I like the vanilla ones better honestly. These fanmade unit cards are way too busy.
  • RockNRolla92#9743RockNRolla92#9743 Registered Users Posts: 2,294
    Neodeinos said:

I like the vanilla ones better honestly. These fanmade unit cards are way too busy.

Yep, they vanilla ones are more readable, I do think the Khorne ones aren't quite as readable as the Kislev ones though. Dark red is kinda harder to see
  • ForumaccountkroqgarForumaccountkroqgar Registered Users Posts: 869
    The new CA caras are good though? Little grom and minotaurs are the only ones not readable.

Justice for the scalies!

Basic fixes for blessed spawnings and geomantic web:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/293369/lizardmen-rework-suggestions/p1?new=1
  • HowTheStarsBurn#4488HowTheStarsBurn#4488 Registered Users Posts: 771
    If only we could combine the detail of the modded with the clarity of the originals
  • User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 1,572

If only we could combine the detail of the modded with the clarity of the originals

The minitour one is definitely clearer in the modded version, I would have literally no idea the image was a minitour if the modded version was underneath it. The skullcrusher is also pretty incomprehensible in the original, but that might just be the resolution.
    "Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that Her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted
  • Hellspawn2Hellspawn2 Registered Users Posts: 183
    It is mod for the unit cards. If you don't like them then don't install the mod. Leave a comment on the mods page if you have suggestions.
  • DerPhonixDerPhonix Senior Member NorwegianRegistered Users Posts: 589
    It is litterally unbelievable that a million dollar company like CA has decided to settle for a sub-par artist. During my entire corporate career, if you didn't do your job well, you got fired. Is this guy friends with the CEO or what?
  • #1609#1609 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,538
    To each one his own preference. I prefer informative unit card, just showing the units with minimal effect. Others may like it too.

But I'm sure many won't like it.

• DragonbroodlingsDragonbroodlings Registered Users Posts: 334

Nice complaint! You must be very proud of yourself.

I agree with this sentiment as far as the cards goes. The official cards are sometimes hard to figure out, and the modded cards are sometimes too busy.
  • JToegiTheSnotling#6624JToegiTheSnotling#6624 Registered Users Posts: 2,403
    Love it. Amazing art over here
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,477
    Came here expecting debauchery in thread.

Lies.

Slaanesh does not approve.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pede#6322Pede#6322 Registered Users Posts: 2,033
    People should remember that the real unit cards in this comparison also has an outline, health bar and shevrons that cutter their cards compared to the modded art.

If that was added to the modded art cards then it would reduce the "clearity" of these as well.

• darkgaia01#1228darkgaia01#1228 Registered Users Posts: 463
    so i did a quick photoshop of the unit card frame around the mod unit cards and i got to say alot of them look even better
  • kevManiac#4754kevManiac#4754 Registered Users Posts: 1,049
    Although some of the mods design can be downgraded a bit (like the extre red glow of the Chaos Warriors with halberd), at least I can see what the units are. I literally cannot distinguish the Minotaur original unit card from a grey picture with more grey. The Chaos Spawn original looks more like a 40K Terminator Squad than a Chaos Spawn, and the first 10x I saw Little Grom's picture I thought it were just two bears with a huge smoke trail behind them. Took me a while to figure out that the cannon is the same colour as the smoke... The modder looks a lot better. Given, some are overdesigned, so remove some background, bit apart from that a lot better.
    Races I'd like to see, in order of preference: Chaos Dwarfs, Southern Realm/ DoW, Araby, Nippon, Hobgoblin Kharnate, Kuresh, Ind.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Low contrast and low saturation is bad for unit cards because they just become barely readable mush that you can't recognize easily at a glance.

What the hell's wrong with CA? They knew how they should be designed and yet ever since Shadow&Blade they keep churning out this crap.
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 5,332
    Is no one really going to mention how one of the Ice Guard and the Streltsi have part of their head covered by the ammo bar? It's been bothering me for a while now.
  • #1609#1609 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,538
    That's why I have a script in my mod to adjust the UI and move the ammo bar, as well as experience, higher

I wonder why CA didn't try to put that in less obstrusive spots.
  • doclumbago#6250doclumbago#6250 Registered Users Posts: 2,544

Low contrast and low saturation is bad for unit cards because they just become barely readable mush that you can't recognize easily at a glance.

What the hell's wrong with CA? They knew how they should be designed and yet ever since Shadow&Blade they keep churning out this crap.

It might be loss of contrast due to the fact that all of the units cards are screenshots
    But yeah the existing unit cards could be improved dramatically by higher contrast