Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Battle Types

Comments

• Iron_CrownIron_Crown Registered Users Posts: 1,600
    You’ve got the occlusion outlines. If you’ve got a load of men hiding in the forest, you can toggle this on and you get a green outline round the units so you can see where they are through the foliage.

Best new feature so far!

• BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 5,143
    Overall, some nice QOL changes here but nothing incredibly groundbreaking.

Let’s hope this isn’t the case with siege battles. They need more than some minor QOL changes to be made fun.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 8,199

One more thing. I do hope that like rams and siege towers, barricades and towers too will have race specific aesthetics.

They have the aesthetic of the Realm the Survival battle takes place, not the race that builts them.

But the Towers get race specific projectiles, like Ice Balls for Kislev.
    The bolded part, is it confirmed?
    Yes, from the time around they showed us the battle at the Brass Citadel.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,051

One more thing. I do hope that like rams and siege towers, barricades and towers too will have race specific aesthetics.

They have the aesthetic of the Realm the Survival battle takes place, not the race that builts them.

But the Towers get race specific projectiles, like Ice Balls for Kislev.
    The bolded part, is it confirmed?
    Yes, from the time around they showed us the battle at the Brass Citadel.
    Thank you. So there will be four flavours of barricades and towers.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180
    Interesting read ! Maps with more elevation is wonderful news. More chokepoints is also good. Only negative point here is that it seems like bridge battles are gone for good,but I can live with that
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 2,176

You’ve got the occlusion outlines. If you’ve got a load of men hiding in the forest, you can toggle this on and you get a green outline round the units so you can see where they are through the foliage.

Best new feature so far!
    Though maybe also good if we can change the outline colour, green in a green forest might be difficult in some situations
  • kevManiackevManiac Registered Users Posts: 973
    "That goes for all factions, one does not simply walk into the Realm of Chaos… a famous quote…"

I was unaware Boromir lived in the Warhammer world. Always nice to learn something new!
    Races I'd like to see, in order of preference: Chaos Dwarfs, Southern Realm/ DoW, Nippon, Hobgoblin Kharnate, Kuresh, Ind.

#JusticeForTzeentch.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,340

Best new feature so far!
    That and the auto-resolve reworks are the positive takeaways from this.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • MagicspookMagicspook Registered Users Posts: 942

Ok, but I would like a screenshot or two of those new maps so that I can have a look at 'crazier stuff'.

When did you become the voice of reason on this forum? I find myself agreeing with you rather often lately.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 19,247
    ..even if that means expeditions to fight the Chaos Gods on their own doorsteps! Such incursions are not free of consequence, do not break the lore, and the campaign narrative gives it a proper context. We’ll speak more about this once we’ve revealed more.

A little nod to the forum experts.. nice.
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,067
    Well there is some good points on that blog. I like it.

But still. I want to see more incredible things. A battle in those new small settlements ? A siege ? Campaign map ? Preorder ?

The game has been announced months ago. And tbh we do not know that much.
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • PLHenryPLHenry Registered Users Posts: 1,650
    I'm somewhat surprised they haven't added rare battle types where you fight for control of an objective, like in the old tabletop rules where you might fight for control of a wizards tower or some powerful monolith, but otherwise the changes sound good.
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 2,457
    I really don't like the look of survival battles with magic towers and barricades.

If I have to do the same 4 survival battles every campaign it's going to get older than Bloodpine Wood.

Here's hoping they thought of that.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 4,161
    Great blog post. Looking forward to survival battles and all the other new features.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,539
    Crossil said:

"Since the first game in the trilogy, creating a narrative has been a strong pillar and one that has been improved upon for each game. WARHAMMER III’s story is an absolute epic, giving each faction a strong motivation for doing what they need to – even if that means expeditions to fight the Chaos Gods on their own doorsteps! Such incursions are not free of consequence, do not break the lore, and the campaign narrative gives it a proper context. We’ll speak more about this once we’ve revealed more. "

Yeah, sure. As I recall we beat one single Bloodthirster in the entire affair, what about the other hundred or so residing within the Brass Citadel? Or Khorne himself who could swipe the battlefield clean if he got involved personally? Are they just not present atm?

I swear, this is the 100 misplaced Baneblades meme all over again...

You know, for people who claim to know the lore they sure are getting it wrong here. Yes the chaos gods are very powerful in their realms but they rarely actually just do anything which is stated here. The snap the fingers deletion of their enemies doesn't happen.

Khorne is going to let his minions fight it out, there are far more stories of him not intervening to save his weaklings, remove pesky problems annoying them, no he demands they deal with it themselves. He never just deletes their problems. He didn't even backhand Skarbrand until the very point where he actually directly assaulted him.

Certainly can't if another god is involved, and their solutions for that is nearly always throw daemons at it. And descriptions from the lore they can even be distracted any given moment with whatever myriad reasons. They're not omnipotent with maybe the exception of Tzeench and even them he plays by some twisted deal of his own rules and all the minions he gives future sight to get also just as messed up and unreliable at times for it.

Nor has the Realms of Chaos been ignored by the mortals who have sent expeditions. Morathi has done it. Attrition is high, many never return. But, some do return. With rewards, even if not left messed up.

This isn't some land of snap fingers, even if mortals got noticed they're just going to throw the WoC, DoC, or some Norscans at the problems in all likelyhood. And there should be consequences. But you're not instantly going to die, you can complete objectives, you can steal, and you can make it out alive even if messed up. And even the messed up part is rarely the gods doing anything other than the ambient insanity of the realm itself.

• SusaVileSusaVile Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,123
    So, a couple of conclusions that we can take here:

1 - the realms of chaos are definitely going to be in the map, which for me is great.
    2 - the other 3 monog factions should bring quite a few single entities to the table, as it sparked the overall changes done and the wounds system.

I dislike the autoresolve a bit, because it appears similar to Rome 2, and too easily exploitable. However, it is a nice quality of life change for legendary difficulty, where it was a pain to lose a unit just because you did not wish to fight a random battle with good odds.

I have a question though: are resources such as barricades only available to survival battles, or siege battles as well?
    Always learning, be polite, unless he's the enemy:P
    Cheers
    SusaVile
    Total war youtuber
  • Darthplagueis13Darthplagueis13 Registered Users Posts: 830
    Sounds promising for sure.
    Nyxilis said:

Crossil said:

"Since the first game in the trilogy, creating a narrative has been a strong pillar and one that has been improved upon for each game. WARHAMMER III’s story is an absolute epic, giving each faction a strong motivation for doing what they need to – even if that means expeditions to fight the Chaos Gods on their own doorsteps! Such incursions are not free of consequence, do not break the lore, and the campaign narrative gives it a proper context. We’ll speak more about this once we’ve revealed more. "

Yeah, sure. As I recall we beat one single Bloodthirster in the entire affair, what about the other hundred or so residing within the Brass Citadel? Or Khorne himself who could swipe the battlefield clean if he got involved personally? Are they just not present atm?

I swear, this is the 100 misplaced Baneblades meme all over again...

You know, for people who claim to know the lore they sure are getting it wrong here. Yes the chaos gods are very powerful in their realms but they rarely actually just do anything which is stated here. The snap the fingers deletion of their enemies doesn't happen.

Khorne is going to let his minions fight it out, there are far more stories of him not intervening to save his weaklings, remove pesky problems annoying them, no he demands they deal with it themselves. He never just deletes their problems. He didn't even backhand Skarbrand until the very point where he actually directly assaulted him.

Certainly can't if another god is involved, and their solutions for that is nearly always throw daemons at it. And descriptions from the lore they can even be distracted any given moment with whatever myriad reasons. They're not omnipotent with maybe the exception of Tzeench and even them he plays by some twisted deal of his own rules and all the minions he gives future sight to get also just as messed up and unreliable at times for it.

Nor has the Realms of Chaos been ignored by the mortals who have sent expeditions. Morathi has done it. Attrition is high, many never return. But, some do return. With rewards, even if not left messed up.

This isn't some land of snap fingers, even if mortals got noticed they're just going to throw the WoC, DoC, or some Norscans at the problems in all likelyhood. And there should be consequences. But you're not instantly going to die, you can complete objectives, you can steal, and you can make it out alive even if messed up. And even the messed up part is rarely the gods doing anything other than the ambient insanity of the realm itself.

If it were a snap your fingers sort of place our new incoming LM LL would've been snapped out of existence sometime ago.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,438
    CA used the "Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows" saying, it was nice to read. :)

• Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,441

..even if that means expeditions to fight the Chaos Gods on their own doorsteps! Such incursions are not free of consequence, do not break the lore, and the campaign narrative gives it a proper context. We’ll speak more about this once we’ve revealed more.

Plot armour has been a thing since the dawn of story.
    Glory matters not.

Surge_2 said:

That maybe, but it seems fine with Oxyotl but not a mechanic that allows the player to visit every part of the WH world.

Rather than make an argument the focus is on being professionally offended, so nothing will ever be good enough.

Surge_2 said:

That maybe, but it seems fine with Oxyotl but not a mechanic that allows the player to visit every part of the WH world.

Rather than make an argument the focus is on being professionally offended, so nothing will ever be good enough.
    No, it shouldn't have been done, so any weak justification will be just that.

There is no argument. Plot armour, plot device, hand waved concerns, it doesn't matter.

It's just going to be a zone with attrition.

Wow.
    Glory matters not.

Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

There is no argument. Plot armour, plot device, hand waved concerns, it doesn't matter.

Wow.
    Except your plot imaginations was never actual lore.
    Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

Wow.
    I love the way you talk as if you have a full understanding of a realm that confuses the most intelligent people in the setting.

The fact that people can find themselves in the setting in the past and survive tells me the question is more complex than you’d like it to be and requires more thought than you’re willing or capable of.
    Nyxilis said:

Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

Wow.
    The Empire marched into the Realm? Dwarves kicked in Khornes gate?

No.

Have exceptional individuals done so? Aka story protagonists?

Yes.
    Glory matters not.

• GrenefellGrenefell Registered Users Posts: 265
    Add me to the group of people that aren't really wild about some of the changes I'm hearing to autoresolve. It shouldn't randomly nuke units in what would be an overwhelming manual victory, but I don't like the sound of being so certain of what the results will be.

It sounds similar to Rome 2 and Three Kingdoms and while I haven't played TK, it very negatively affected my experience with Rome 2.

It was very easy to gather forces that could auto resolve everything into the ground. Due to how replenishment works, it usually doesn't matter if it takes a turn or two to replenish to full. If you have to fight numerous battles back to back, sure, but lightning strike and concentration of forces already allow for picking enemies apart piecemeal. The auto resolve stomp also tended to come into play later into the game, which is already a bit of a repetitive on the campaign layer.

I know the responses that these are personal problems and if I don't like it, don't do it. Which is fair and absolutely true; still one feels how they will feel.
    edited June 2021
    Surge_2 said:

Nyxilis said:

Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

Wow.

No.

Yes.
    Have the Dark Elves? Yes.

Have they done it multiple times? Yes.

Did the exceptional individual Morathi go? Hell no, she was to valuable to go and sent unexceptional underlings.

Is the Empire even aware of where the Realms of Chaos are? Actually, no. Asides from some sorcerers the average Empire leader is far more concerned with mundane issues at home and still deal with supply line issues.

LM, HE, and a few other races could do it but they actually care bout their soldiers. So it continues to be the race with the awareness and want to do so.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 8,199
    Surge_2 said:

Nyxilis said:

Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

Wow.

No.

Yes.
    Skaven invading Ulthuan? The Empire beating Archaon without help? Kemmler conquering Bretonnia?

Seriously, at this point in the trilogy, with all the lore breaking options that we already have in the game, it bafles me that someone would throw a tantrum for something like this.

CA has never cared for Lore or History limitations, they may place some for flavour, but they have never been a large thing that stops the player from doing what they want.

In Shogun 2 you can turn all of Japan into Christians, in Empire you can conquer the British as Spain, in Rome 2 the Gauls can go toe to toe with the Romans...

No one is going to die just because CA allows people to go I to the Chaos Realms, and we already know that it is not going to be risk free.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
    So your argument is that it is intact loreful that a military force of mortals can enter a realm of madness and thought, and metaphor, and knock down the main citadel of the literal Gods?

In a grimdark setting?
    Glory matters not.

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,445
    Surge_2 said:

Nyxilis said:

Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

Wow.

No.

Yes.
    TBF the races of wh world was created for the one purpose of fighting chaos so in theory they if unified should be able to actually do it.

the current wh nations should not

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc