Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CA did a great job with free content for TW:WH 2

bradleyvincentwellsbradleyvincentwells Registered Users Posts: 335
Since this is an internet message board that often caters to people screaming about stuff they want and haven't gotten, I thought I would post something that gives CA the credit they deserve for the free content they handed out for Total War: WH2. Personally, I didn't like all the content, but it was obvious to me that the effort and the intention to make good free content was there.

The best FLC they offered was Drycha, Imrik, and Rakarth. But, that is just my opinion. It also seems as though the FLC got better and better during the lifecycle of the game.

I am excited for the upcoming FLC, which seems like a big deal, according to influencers like Legend Of Total War. Overall, CA did a good job and hopefully the FLC offered as part of this last lord pack will send TW:WH2 out with a bang.
Tagged:

Comments

• Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 2,657
    CA have done a great job with WH in general. both game 1 and game 2 are really fun, and given how many hours i've played, it's been good value for money

GG CA
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,653
    They've done lots and lots and lots of things very well so far. TWW2 was a great upgrade on TWW1 in so many of the basic aspects of just how the game functions. They've done excellently in making the new TWW2 races and upgrading some of the TWW1 races with new mechanics. My main gripe is that they haven't been quicker about it. There might be two campaigns to update simultaneously but surely if you could push out two new races in TWW1 in the time that it takes to get one LP there's something a wee bit off. By the time that the Silence and the Furious releases it will have been over a year to get out two LPs. That's 2/3s TWW1s entire life cycle.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 3,193
    You're right. Same with TWW1 too.
  • CyresdogCyresdog Registered Users Posts: 1,406
    Not many people are disagreeing with the state of Game 1 or 2 apart from BM/Dwarven/Norsca state.

Hence why a lot of people are so disappointed with the marketing to WH3.
    The bar they had wasn't very high, it was appropiate, not too much not too little right in the sweet spot where people can speculate and be excited, and news in due time.
    Yet when it comes to game 3, they danced Limbo under that bar, and then proceeded to put their finger into the wound by insulting the fans.

So yea, game 1 and 2 had, apart from a few exceptions, great FLCs and DLCs. And i hope this will be the case for Game 3.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 5,634
    Compared to WH1, FLC quality was surely better. But Gotrek is still the single worst FLC.
  • KirGeoKirGeo Registered Users Posts: 1,000
    Rework Gotrek & Felix into LH, give them and Green Knight proper skill trees.

Keep the disappearing mechanics if they want.
    We want all the factions Dogs of War, Araby, Ind, Kuresh, Nippon, Hobgoblin Khanate. Milk us CA.
  • bradleyvincentwellsbradleyvincentwells Registered Users Posts: 335

Compared to WH1, FLC quality was surely better. But Gotrek is still the single worst FLC.

Yeah, I agree the execution of Gotrek and Felix just didn't work out. I'm not upset about it because I understand the intent. The mechanic highlights that they wonder, and I like that Empire and Bretonnia can use them as well as Dwarfs. But, having them disappear after 20 turns (?) just kinda sucks. Some good ideas, but the mechanic just doesn't work.

That said, I'd rather see good ideas fail in a game than lazy ideas succeed.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,316
    I would prefer Lords and Heroes packs instead of FLC LLs. Imrik is a great example of wasted potential. Rakarth too to be honest. Even Drycha's buddy, Coeddil(retexture), would have benefited from DLC treatment. Let me pay for quality content.

What FLC should bring are generic lords, heroes and RoRs. And even then there shouldn't be cheap additions like Glade Captain(kitbash).
  • bradleyvincentwellsbradleyvincentwells Registered Users Posts: 335

I would prefer Lords and Heroes packs instead of FLC LLs. Imrik is a great example of wasted potential. Rakarth too to be honest. Even Drycha's buddy, Coeddil(retexture), would have benefited from DLC treatment. Let me pay for quality content.

What FLC should bring are generic lords, heroes and RoRs. And even then there shouldn't be cheap additions like Glade Captain(kitbash).

I'm curious as to why you think Imrik is wasted potential. He seems to me as one of the best LLs in the game. Same as Rakarth. That we got them for free was kinda cool imo.
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 3,193

I'm curious as to why you think Imrik is wasted potential. He seems to me as one of the best LLs in the game. Same as Rakarth. That we got them for free was kinda cool imo.
    For 11.5k comments about @Maedrethnir thoughts on Imrik, click here: https://forums.totalwar.com/profile/comments/Maedrethnir
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 2,712

He was lacking "bespoke" mechanics and they didn't go far enough for his royal heinie princess jimrick of Canada.

I think I'm Rick was stellar, but you can't please everyone and definitely not some people.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 9,487
    Most of what they done is good

Then there's disgusting tendencies like Bone Giant, Kharibdyss and the poor quality of Imrik that makes me eye roll when thinking about "free loadable content"
  • BargrimmBargrimm Registered Users Posts: 329
    edited June 2021
    Theo91 said:

CA have done a great job with WH in general. both game 1 and game 2 are really fun, and given how many hours i've played, it's been good value for money

GG CA

Depends what you mean by great job. If you are just a Total War fan (no offense at all ) and you play for the sake of gameplay its certainly not bad what they put out. If you are a Warhammer Fan with certain races beeing your favorites than it is a very mixed bag. For some races they has been an overkill of content and for others absolutely neglection.

CA made a good game but their sense of fairness how to distribute content for certain factions is very poor at best.
  • PedePede Registered Users Posts: 1,599
    Bargrimm said:

Theo91 said:

GG CA

Depends what you mean by great job. If you are just a Total War fan (no offense at all ) and you play for the sake of gameplay its certainly not bad what they put out. If you are a Warhammer Fan with certain races beeing your favorites than it is a very mixed bag. For some races they has been an overkill of content and for others absolutely neglection.

CA made a good game but their sense of fairness how to distribute content for certain factions is very poor at best.
    If you are a warhammer fan this game is still one of the greatest games ever greated in the setting. Calling it a mixed bag is far from reality if you look at the alternative out there.

Satisfying every fan is impossible since every time they add something for one race, the fans of another want more.

edited June 2021

I think so because:
    1. His mechanics are lacklustre. I do like to collect dragons alright, but there is no depth to it, both in terms of visuals and interactions.
    2. His animations are lacklustre, he doesn't even use his lance in combat while mounted on Minaithnir.
    3. His 'special' dragons are lacklustre, they aren't even recolours. Which is worse than even RoRs.
    4. The Lord of Dragons theme is poorly done:
    • Minaithnir doesn't speak and he also doesn't interact with Imrik beyond being the Dragon Prince's mount. He has been reduced to a mere beast, while he should be a companion with whom Imrik shares a bond deeper than Vaul's Anvil. Then there is his model, a mere retexture.
    • Imrik follows generic Vortex narrative and doesn't interact with Caledor Dragontamer.
    • The Dragonrealm itself has received no attention. Its martial culture, dragon caverns and the original temple of Vaul could and should have been explored.
    Then there is a matter of CA ignoring unique appearance of Dragon Mages.

As for Rakarth, CA didn't even bother to make a retexture for Spellthirster Hydra. He could have been Dark Elves' Throt, with taming, training and breeding mechanics.

For 11.5k comments about @Maedrethnir thoughts on Imrik, click here: https://forums.totalwar.com/profile/comments/Maedrethnir
    I wish!
    Vildvarg said:

He was lacking "bespoke" mechanics and they didn't go far enough for his royal heinie princess jimrick of Canada.

I think I'm Rick was stellar, but you can't please everyone and definitely not some people.
    Well, they didn't go pass the shallows.
    I couldn´t even get past 30 turns with Rakarth and the sam´ish with Imrik

Poor campaign experiences

Imrik deserves to be a proper DLC LL with proper campaign mechanics and unique dragons.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,445
    Reeks said:

Imrik deserves to be a proper DLC LL with proper campaign mechanics and unique dragons.

Imrik is the most fun HE LL on Mortal Empires.

It was so fun it was the only time I actually painted the entire ME map.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    Having to conquer the east and defend Ulthuan simultaneously with a shattered economy was a tremendous challenge and insanely fun.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,732

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    Having to conquer the east and defend Ulthuan simultaneously with a shattered economy was a tremendous challenge and insanely fun.
    He's just confusing personal taste with bad design. Given that CA has said that Imrik is popular goes to show that most simply agree with you. Same with me. Sadly the very moment they said Eltharion was going to be on the snoozefest of Ulthuan I had to roll my eyes.

But a disconnect here is that be thinking he would be not where he is if he was a DLC is probably wrong. I don't see them moving him to a different location.

Or the belief he would have gotten more unique dragons. We have DLC lords who didn't really get a lot of unique things and some FLC that got comparable or more than their paid counterparts. It's a disconnect on expectations.

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    Having lazy remodels instead of unique dragons for the master of dragons and
    Lacking any meaningful unique campaign mechanic was insanely lackluster.
    Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    Remodels? They aren't even recolours! Those 'special' dragons have the exact same looks as their generic versions.

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    Remodels? They aren't even recolours! Those 'special' dragons have the exact same looks as their generic versions.
    Thanks for clearing that up
    Even more lazy than i thought 😳
    Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    I just can't fathom thinking how different textured scales or different shaped horns on the head makes the dragons fun or not.

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    I just can't fathom thinking how different textured scales or different shaped horns on the head makes the dragons fun or not.
    Let's not praise them for bad lazy content eh?

Lumberjacks come to mind, i even remember people defending those.
    Terrible
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,625
    If only bretonnia would have been dlc they would have gotten so much more love by CA

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Hard disagree
    One of a kind dragons are more exciting to collect than mass produced ones. It also helps in fleshing out their identities and makes them feel like rewards proper.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Edinburgh, ScotlandRegistered Users Posts: 5,382
    I agree and disagree, Tretch, Steps of Isha and Laboratory was a total waste of space.
    #JusticeForTzeentch #JusticeForMonogods

7bmg1fojzz69.jpg
  • HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,253

I agree and disagree, Tretch, Steps of Isha and Laboratory was a total waste of space.

Tretch is weird in the fact I could see how he could be better but alas he was still more along the lines of a game 1 FLC LL
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,732

Tretch before we had the 4 major clans yeah.

Tretch now knowing we have all of those plus Queek and thanquol locked in for the future? Just fine with him.