Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thoughts on Chameleon Stalkers ?

AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Registered Users Posts: 4,554
edited July 6 in Balancing Discussions
What do you think about chameleon stalkers ?

To me I feel like their Melee prowess is a bit underwhelming with only 25 WS non AP.

They feel like tankier missile units, but with only 2 ammo.

They are 600 gold

P.s. trying to link the stats picture, but fpr a reason unknown it does work

Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• M3HowM3How Registered Users Posts: 107
    As a unit that u'll just bring to snipe arty or chase stragglers it's ok-ish. Need to get my hands on it to actualy test it tho.
    Karaz-a-Karak Discord server
    Grumpy Guard in-game
  • glosskilosglosskilos Registered Users Posts: 1,429
    edited July 6

What do you think about chameleon stalkers ?

To me I feel like their Melee prowess is a bit underwhelming with only 25 WS non AP.

They feel like tankier missile units, but with only 2 ammo.

They are 600 gold

P.s. trying to link the stats picture, but fpr a reason unknown it does work

They’ll be pretty good if you’re going to go with an all skink rush because they’ll take a long time to route in melee. They look like a very durable unit I think I’d take them against empire, high elves, skaven, and vampire coast
  • Darthplagueis13Darthplagueis13 Registered Users Posts: 789
    Seems alright to me. I'd kind of look at them as a more mobile cross between Night Goblins and Miners with Blasting Charges. Certainly not gonna be an auto-include for all match-ups but it seems like they might have some uses.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 13,756
    360 deal breaker
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 2,828
    physical and missile resist im sure theyll be fine
    Loupi_ said:

physical and missile resist im sure theyll be fine

360 shooting gets hit by 360 cap.
    edited July 6

Reduce 1 ammo remve 360 and they will be good unit. And minus -50
  • KhorneFlakesKhorneFlakes Registered Users Posts: 3,568
    They have dodge as well,seems underwhelming at first sight will have to test out first

• ystyst Registered Users Posts: 9,259
    edited July 6
    2 ammo with 360? Lol when r iron breakers getting theirs?
    They r the definition of miners unit, how r they getting 360 again?

So a useless skink miners that costs $600 to bring, and they takes ur 360 slot?

What kind of useless unit and joke CA trying to play here?
    Not surprised, dlc grade = lizardman
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    They’re 360 shooters?! Why wtf?! That has to be the dumbest design decision I’ve ever seen. Still I might bring them in MU’s where I don’t bring chameleons. Wow that means I can only bring 2 against skaven and VP where I go 4 terradons that’s so lame

They’re 360 shooters?! Why wtf?! That has to be the dumbest design decision I’ve ever seen. Still I might bring them in MU’s where I don’t bring chameleons. Wow that means I can only bring 2 against skaven and VP where I go 4 terradons that’s so lame

Yap they practically uselss to bring in any MU you wanna vanguard rush with 360 cap.

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,855
    Dumb question, why do people not like 360?
  • Fan3982173917524862Fan3982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,488
    Krunch said:

There is a cap to how many parthian shot units you can bring in MP.
  • KhorneFlakesKhorneFlakes Registered Users Posts: 3,568
    Krunch said:

Nobody liked parthian shots in rome.

360 on missile cavs,fine for single entities i guess,just makes brain dead play even more than just simply clicking units to send in melee.
    Its just kite,kite,kite on the other hand if they had directional shooting and even not fire on move,they have to stop and shoot.
    Which adds much more tactical depth and units positioning matters

Krunch said:

There is a 360 cap. So if you take these guys you can not do vanguard rush with skink or chem skimishers and or terradons.
  • Modern_ErasmusModern_Erasmus Registered Users Posts: 243
    How much damage do the “blasting charges” on these do? If it’s similar to dwarfs they could be pretty good but if it’s less then they seem pretty terrible value-wise compared to skink cohorts with javelins or red crests.

How much damage do the “blasting charges” on these do? If it’s similar to dwarfs they could be pretty good but if it’s less then they seem pretty terrible value-wise compared to skink cohorts with javelins or red crests.

Still not woth loosing 360 cap on these normal chems or terrodons will be cap well used.
    A unit with 2 ammo is classed as a 360 shooter, what a joke.

Why does it even have 360 anyways what good will it do this type of unit?
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 6,353
    edited July 6
    They're a weird unit and I don't think they'll be very competitive.

Their ranged attack looks nothing like the miners in terms of actual damage and their melee prowess will be eclipsed by Sarus.

There's probably better options for the Lizardmen to shut down the back lines like clever girls or even just regular skinks.

I'd have simply preferred skinks with snipe and unpotable.
  • Rubz2293Rubz2293 Registered Users Posts: 447
    Melee defense and physical resistance focus is a strange specialization for what is described is as shock infantry.

Can see them being good against Skaven and VCoast if the ranged damage is good and they have stalk.
    Rubz2293 said:

Melee defense and physical resistance focus is a strange specialization for what is described is as shock infantry.

Can see them being good against Skaven and VCoast if the ranged damage is good and they have stalk.

Ranged damage isn't good... They barely dent Zombies in Zerkovetch's video.
  • Rubz2293Rubz2293 Registered Users Posts: 447
    OdTengri said:

Rubz2293 said:

Which video was that? I haven't seen a video of his where he showed the Lizardmen units performance in battle.
  • AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Registered Users Posts: 4,554
    I would have prefered a death runner style unit. Squishy, fast and anti-infantry.

I would have made them high mid tier( 1000)

LM lack more elite AI imo.

Rubz2293 said:

OdTengri said:

Rubz2293 said:

Which video was that? I haven't seen a video of his where he showed the Lizardmen units performance in battle.
    Maybe it wasn't Zerk's I've seen so many, basically they don't gave the same explosion effect as blasting charges way more minor. I think it just has a much smaller explosion radius so there's less overlapping damage from multiple explosions.
    It was GbG's at about 7min

Here you go stalkers in battle

saweendra said:

Here you go stalkers in battle

They did condsiderable damage vs the Ungor Spear heard... but that was 1 volley from 2 units. I think that unit spacing is going to make a big difference as later in the battle vs the Gors they weren't impressive.
  • TellTale_ScarTellTale_Scar Registered Users Posts: 422
    From what Indy suggests, they deal good burst damage to large single entities. They might be a nasty surprised for skin wolves or a hell pit flanking or crashing into your back lines.

They also might make a mess out of state troops and elves.

(I wonder how their volleys interact with shields?)
  • Modern_ErasmusModern_Erasmus Registered Users Posts: 243
    After seeing them in action they seem pretty terrible tbh. 600 gold for a unit whose javelins can't be aimed and are less than half as strong in practice as blasting charges. If you can get both charges off it seems almost as strong as one blasting charge volley, but since they can't be aimed and the auto targeting seems super erratic in practice it's just rng if you get a good hit or whiff and do almost no damage. Plus if you're charging them into melee they only throw once.

Between that, terrible combat stats for a 600 gold unit, and taking up a 360 shooting slot I don't see these things getting used much. I don't even think they really need buffs so much as a ground up rework.
  • DaBoyzAreBackInTownDaBoyzAreBackInTown Registered Users Posts: 759
    They look like they're designed as backline disruptors, especially for artillery. Ranged attack will do well vs the type of infantry left to guard artillery and high MD + physical resist will help them muck up a backline once they get in.

Only thing that seems a bit dubious is the 360 shooting, probably intended to stop too many 360 kite builds but not sure if it is warranted considering the strength of the ranged attack.
    Pre-Covid Forum Account: Orklads
    Discord/Steam Name: Glorious Feeder