Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer holds back historical. allow me to elaborate

Comments

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,937
    Rewan said:

The only thing holding Historical titles back are Historical titles ressources granted by the higher ups.

The developpers of 3K and 3K DLC did their job, sometimes better than others, but the game was plagued by QA issues - most likely due to understaffing - failed to properly analyze the market (8P as first DLC lmao) and overall failed to deliver as much content as one may have expected from a hardseller. (again most likely due to either understaffing or dense bureaucratic walls.)

3K could have been the best Historical TW to date, I think still think that by many aspects it is. But overall its life being cut so short (considering Covid delays) is a damn shame.

They had a golden goose at hand and not only did they feed it all wrong first, they then also allowed it to starve when they aggresively refused to figure out what it needed. This amount of mismanagement really angers me.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,371
    Guys, look at TC's spelling

He's a troll.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Fantasy titles selling better than historical ones is a myth. Both R2 and 3K outperformed WH1 and WH2 in pre-orders. Rome Remastered and Throb sold less, but they are not comparable, as they were not tent-pole titles. It's the retention rate and DLC sales that probably make the difference.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

• Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,129

Reghis said:

Amonkhet said:

TeNoSkill said:

TeNoSkill said:

Yes, that´s true.

As long as warhammer is so profitable/easy to do (and historical is not) it won t change.

i mean, that could (i don't think/hope so) lead to a situation as with Fantasy VS 40k. The latter sold better and so got basically all of the attention, causing Fantasy to fall behind more and more, even in marketing via video games etc.
    I doubt it since CA sololy exists as they do because of historical titles.
    Big companis always forget faces of their fathers
    Companies have to adapt or die. Making historical titles covering the same historical periods repeatedly isn't necessarily in CA's best interest.
    Why you all are so slow, i never said i want another rome or medieval or empire, i dont care what era they make, i just want it to be made properly, what wasnt the case for too many damn years
    Yet it won't sell.
    lazy 3k crap sold, so a properly made one(in shogun 2 manner but with big map and many nations) could have a good chance
    and by many nations we are talking about pretty much the same units with different skins? i still love Medieval 2, Shogun 2 and a bit Rome 2 but compared to a fantasy setting with all the different models, magic, flying units etc historical games are "empty"
    we would have a thing called historical period, that is far more fllavorluf than any flashy stuff, and a things called tactics and deep mechanics, insted of a glorified moba where your army is just a suppotive swarm for single enteties and world-ending magic
    no, it isn't. And I have master's degree in cultural history. Or maybe because of that. When you start looking at history for a historiographical standpoint you realise that TW games don't reproduce in any way the actual dynamics of government, culture and religion, and the battles have very little to do with historical wargaming. Don't take me wrong, I enjoyed TW a lot, but not because of history. There was very little of interest in that representation of history. I liked them because they were fun and loud and spectacular like a Hollywood war movie. But then Warhammer came, and it did those very things much better.
  • KaiserofKiotoKaiserofKioto Registered Users Posts: 81
    edited July 7
    Reeks said:

"Historicals" are just a inferior product

Once you go fantasy you never go back

And who would want to watch 99 different equiped humans fight against each other when you can have hellpit abominations fight against carnosaurs
    and Balthasar Gelt welcoming the gentlemen to Estalia?.......

Like bro "historicals" are so yesterday

Inappropriate Comment removed.

After this they should move on to 40k.

I find your suggestions clearly lacking.
    According to your logic, I could claim historical is holding back warhammer because since warhammer has been such a success then as much resources as possible should be focused upon it.

no, you cant, warhammer is a propper warhammer game. historicals are not propper historical games. but i agree with you on one thing,starting with warhammer 1 and until warammer 3 is released historicals were nothing but meaningless distractions.
    Rewan said:

The only thing holding Historical titles back are Historical titles ressources granted by the higher ups.

The developpers of 3K and 3K DLC did their job, sometimes better than others, but the game was plagued by QA issues - most likely due to understaffing - failed to properly analyze the market (8P as first DLC lmao) and overall failed to deliver as much content as one may have expected from a hardseller. (again most likely due to either understaffing or dense bureaucratic walls.)

3K could have been the best Historical TW to date, I think still think that by many aspects it is. But overall its life being cut so short (considering Covid delays) is a damn shame.

maybe you right on that. exept it could not be best because shogun was already a perfect 1-nation game and it had better time-frames.

• ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 7,447

Or something more simple.

What gets more attention from the people:

A dinasour riding a dinosaur leading an army of dinosaurs that shoot laser beam from space and that are lead by space toads with magic powers.

VS

Another game based around the Roman period.

Which means that CA being a company and not a charity will focus on what brings them more money.

This guy gets it

"Yum Yum Ariel stew"

Supreme Matriarch Of Nan-Gau...

Master Of The Storm Winds...

Daughter Of The Dragon Emperor!
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,793
    edited July 7

saweendra said:

yeah i agree they should focus all the attention on the current titles that are active no need to make a another new title for while .

yes that means keep the new game team working on Wh 3 dlc for 3+ years so before they leave and leave behind dlc team they can do lot of work to improve wh 3 as well add lot of DLC and FLC and reworks ..etc fast

i would liked it more if they just finished warhammer triloy and then returned to history, for three sagas(yes, 3k is just a big saga) were nothing but a waste of time
    3k had serious potentil it blew all other TW games in terms of campagin mechanics where it failed was battles and dlc quality .

TLDR chapter packs are dumb and honestly isn't worth the price tag. they needed address the main request by fan base in terms of balance .
    do more culture packs like furious wild ..etc. beofre doing culture chapter ( edit) packs

but the funny thing is same happened with wh 1 basically first couple of dlc were not that great as well but the fans held on and we are now at the point where CA actually starting to push them self to do better , i guess it just coems of around CA thought 3k and majority of historical fans behave the same way as wh fan base
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • KaiserofKiotoKaiserofKioto Registered Users Posts: 81
    saweendra said:

saweendra said:

yeah i agree they should focus all the attention on the current titles that are active no need to make a another new title for while .

yes that means keep the new game team working on Wh 3 dlc for 3+ years so before they leave and leave behind dlc team they can do lot of work to improve wh 3 as well add lot of DLC and FLC and reworks ..etc fast

i would liked it more if they just finished warhammer triloy and then returned to history, for three sagas(yes, 3k is just a big saga) were nothing but a waste of time
    3k had serious potentil it blew all other TW games in terms of campagin mechanics where it failed was battles and dlc quality .

TLDR chapter packs are dumb and honestly isn't worth the price tag. they needed address the main request by fan base in terms of balance .
    do more culture packs like furious wild ..etc. beofre doing culture packs

but the funny thing is same happened with wh 1 basically first couple of dlc were not that great as well but the fans held on and we are now at the point where CA actually starting to push them self to do better , i guess it just coems of around CA thought 3k and majority of historical fans behave the same way as wh fan base
    Yeah, thats one of the things iam talking about, CA does not distinguish between game types or fanbases
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,687
    saweendra said:

so they should do more culture packs before doing culture packs... gotcha...

And in my opinion the only DUMB chapter pack was Eight Princes. The other starting dates made perfect sense and were overall interesting. Issues iwth campaign mechanics etc. are a different issue.
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
    edited July 7

saweendra said:

And in my opinion the only DUMB chapter pack was Eight Princes. The other starting dates made perfect sense and were overall interesting. Issues iwth campaign mechanics etc. are a different issue.
    8P by itself is actually fairly well made, it just shouldn't have been the first piece of released DLC.
  • HondlisHondlis Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,115
    If historical titles were selling good enough there wouldn't be any warhammer in the first place.

So yeah...warhammer is priority title for a good reason.
    Hondlis said:

If historical titles were selling good enough there wouldn't be any warhammer in the first place.

So yeah...warhammer is priority title for a good reason.

3K was selling good enough. They just effed it up afterwards.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 3,867
    They're probably going to do another trilogy of 40K, or Age of Sigmar if not both. And i expect WH3 itself to get at least 4 years of support with the first two years getting DLC quickly since the teams have time to focus on it.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.

saweendra said:

typo sorry fixed now

the issue with the chapter packs were mostly the same characters that was just being marketed with new mechanics but beyond that it really not adding any value

from a unit perspective or battle feild perspective it was not worth the price tag also the gap between them were too long to keep fans engaged.

as i said do bunch of culture packs add a lot of replaybility to the game than work on those time lines.
    Ca doing "histricals" did nothing for them

Ca started doing fantasy Ca are now the largest Game developer in the uk

"Historicals" are a thing of the past

Deal with it

"Yum Yum Ariel stew"

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

typo sorry fixed now

the issue with the chapter packs were mostly the same characters that was just being marketed with new mechanics but beyond that it really not adding any value

from a unit perspective or battle feild perspective it was not worth the price tag also the gap between them were too long to keep fans engaged.

as i said do bunch of culture packs add a lot of replaybility to the game than work on those time lines.
    Chapter packs were not a bad idea. The first two TW titles had those as well. In Med1 you could start in early, high or late middle ages which would mix up the starting territories and positions. Koei's RotK also gives you several options of where to start the game right off the bat.

They just shouldn't have started with the epilogue as the first chapter pack.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,151
    WH1 was the fastest selling game and did beat R2.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-27-total-war-warhammer-is-the-fastest-selling-total-war-game-ever

In reference to 3K it did initially outsell WH2 but there was simply more interest in WH2 DLC which is the deciding factor on whether a game is supported.

DLCs naturally lose popularity/sales as time goes on but this isn’t the case with WHTW, it seems to increase.

It isn’t Warhammer that has an impact on historical, it’s the people who buy the product.

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

typo sorry fixed now

Chapter packs were not a bad idea. The first two TW titles had those as well. In Med1 you could start in early, high or late middle ages which would mix up the starting territories and positions. Koei's RotK also gives you several options of where to start the game right off the bat.

but do you honestly think there worth their price tag though 9.99 compared to wh 2 dlc of 9.99.

for me there not
  • SnoopacSnoopac Registered Users Posts: 414
    While I disagree with all of your points except the last one, I would agree with the overall point that Warhammer: Total War is damaging to the historical side of the franchise.

However, I don't think this is a bad thing at all. I've played Total War for years starting with first Rome, before gravitating towards Medieval 2, Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 (albiet, I didn't play Napoleon quite as much as the map of Empire was better and didn't like Shogun 2 all that much, unlike most people.). I must admit that I skipped Rome 2 and Atilla though, albiet, I know what they're about.

I still thoroughly enjoy these games, but I find that they are held back by their own historical limitations. Warhammer revitalized the series in a fantastic way by adding new systems like magic, monster and flying units as well as everything that ever appeared in the previous games and, adding fantastical races just makes the games overall more interesting to look at than the history titles. Historical Total Wars are falling to the wayside because they're just not as interesting as the Warhammer trillogy, so they will remain secondary I feel.

I also feel as if there's a problem with Total War in the campaign maps: they're all Europe and the same parts of the Middle East/ North Africa with the map going more or less east depending on the game. This is fun for the first time you play the games, but eventually all of the gets start to blend together, which is why I have no real interest in Atilla or Rome 2.. as well as the units just feeling less interesting than what we've got now the campaign just feels like I'm conquering Europe again in Rome 1 or the other games.

Three Kingdoms did a good job at presenting a new enviroment with a new culture we've never before seen in Total War, at all, and I think that's the reason why Shogun 2 was such a large success too, it took advantage of something not seen since Shogun 1 and is so different to the rest of the games. The only way the Historical games could catch my interest now personally is if they continued the trend of Three Kingdoms and did something in Africa- I'd like that even more. Or, if they go back and do an entire Mezoamerican setting without it just being a small DLC for another Europe focused game, as even though those DLCs were cool they lacked a lot of how great they COULD have been if they had gotten their own game. Heck, we've seen the Middle East a lot but most of the Middle Eastern factions tend to get left behind themselves, so I wouldn't even be opposed to just a Total War game set in the Middle Eastern.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,730
    Reeks said:

Deal with it

I would say “did nothing for them” is an overstatement, but your point is correct. Warhammer was huge hit for CA. I want them to do Age of Sigmar or 40K, or even develop their own fantasy setting more than I want to see a new historical title.
    ò_ó
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,687
    saweendra said:

saweendra said:

typo sorry fixed now

you only have so many culture packs for the area. Northern Barbarians (and some were actualyl arguing against them because they didn't do anything in the period), Nanman, Vietnam (if the map was going that far) and Korea.

Chapter packs as "main" DLC, with a culture pack every once in a while was, imho, the right call. CA just screwed it up.
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
    saweendra said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

typo sorry fixed now

but do you honestly think there worth their price tag though 9.99 compared to wh 2 dlc of 9.99.

for me there not
    I certainly had my share of fun with World Betrayed, Fates Divided and even 8P (MoH was a bit buggy, haven't tried it since), so I'd have no problem with the price.
  • Rasmus242Rasmus242 Registered Users Posts: 589
    TeNoSkill said:

TeNoSkill said:

Yes, that´s true.

As long as warhammer is so profitable/easy to do (and historical is not) it won t change.

i mean, that could (i don't think/hope so) lead to a situation as with Fantasy VS 40k. The latter sold better and so got basically all of the attention, causing Fantasy to fall behind more and more, even in marketing via video games etc.
    I doubt it since CA sololy exists as they do because of historical titles.
    That's not how companies work. If you have any type of shareholder or business pressure they won't let you meander off and go back to your unproductive ways after finding a new thing that just sells way better.

However, I still do think CA has a pretty strong historical talents and don't forget, 3K sold very well it was just the DLC part that flopped. Rome 2 is also still popular. I think there's a large opportunity with games like Medieval 3 and I also expect the reason they are doing TW:3k2 is to massively approach DLC / content in a different manner.

Also it's not like Warhammer is some random fantasy IP so I doubt they could just go "we're a fantasy studio now" and it'd rather be if they'd tackle some other really big IP.
    Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

I would say “did nothing for them” is an overstatement, but your point is correct. Warhammer was huge hit for CA. I want them to do Age of Sigmar or 40K, or even develop their own fantasy setting more than I want to see a new historical title.
    Well, fantasy made them take off, it's expected and logical that Ca will tone down their efforts doing "historicals" as fantady is simply what the masses want
    Heck i expect Ca to venture into sci-fi as well now

It's a question of time when we will see it happen really.

Sour ol "historicals" fans just gotta deal with reality, nothing more to it.

"Yum Yum Ariel stew"

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

typo sorry fixed now

for me there not
    I certainly had my share of fun with World Betrayed, Fates Divided and even 8P (MoH was a bit buggy, haven't tried it since), so I'd have no problem with the price.
    i guess i can not appreciate it , hence why i think shouldn't have strated with them , and do more culture packs and i do believe most people feel the same hence why its dlc under performed
    saweendra said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

typo sorry fixed now

for me there not
    i guess i can not appreciate it , hence why i think shouldn't have strated with them , and do more culture packs and i do believe most people feel the same hence why its dlc under performed
    Had CA not pulled the plug, we could've had more culture packs. Again there aren't that many cultures CA could add without a MAJOR map addition (rather than just lifting the FoW and doing some modelling).

Vietnam (maybe)
    Kore
    Nanman
    Northern Barbarians (who weren't really active VS China in the period)

The chapter packs were the right call. And starting with them also was the right call, because the Nanman etc. didn't actually do much until MUCH later (so late actually, that we have no Starting date anywhere near it...) They should've just scrapped 8 Princes.

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 6,781
    Warhammer pays the bills.

Just as 40K paid the bills for Fantasy.

You work on what makes $.
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

This discussion has been closed.