Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer holds back historical. allow me to elaborate

Comments

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,794
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 30,065
    I have zero interest in historical games anymore. If Warhammer caused them to go out of favour permanently I'm fine with that.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

• Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 6,781
    Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Ca doing "histricals" did nothing for them

Ca started doing fantasy Ca are now the largest Game developer in the uk

"Historicals" are a thing of the past

Deal with it

or even develop their own fantasy setting more than I want to see a new historical title.
    I really don't understand this. I have seen a lot of people suggest that CA develop their own IP for the next Fantasy game. Question is, if it is so viable, then why did people keep pointing to how little lore Cathay (or the rest of the Far East) had (before game 3 was announced) whenever someone expressed their desire to see them in game 3? And that was just 4 races. An unique IP would need around 10, maybe more.
    People pointed out how little lore Cathay has because it was assumed CA would focus on races with more lore over races with almost none.

This has nothing to do with CA making up their own IP.
    I think you underestimate how much it takes to create an IP.

Even a company with decades of experience stumbled and initially failed with a simple reboot.
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 30,065

Reeks said:

Deal with it

by your logic avenger or avatar are the greates movies ever.

Superhero movies don't get awards because movie awards try to be woke to the point of self parody but they have very legitimately produced some of the best movies ever.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

• WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,730
    Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

or even develop their own fantasy setting more than I want to see a new historical title.
    I really don't understand this. I have seen a lot of people suggest that CA develop their own IP for the next Fantasy game. Question is, if it is so viable, then why did people keep pointing to how little lore Cathay (or the rest of the Far East) had (before game 3 was announced) whenever someone expressed their desire to see them in game 3? And that was just 4 races. An unique IP would need around 10, maybe more.
    People pointed out how little lore Cathay has because it was assumed CA would focus on races with more lore over races with almost none.

Even a company with decades of experience stumbled and initially failed with a simple reboot.
    I’m not sure what you are referring to, but it is pretty common for companies to make their own IPs after getting experience with a licensed game.
    ò_ó
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,937
    Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

I’m not sure what you are referring to, but it is pretty common for companies to make their own IPs after getting experience with a licensed game.
    Of course since that will lack the pre-existing fanbase and name recognition Warhammer had, there's no reason to presume this would take off at all.

Why should I play a pseudo-Warhammer when CA already made Total War Warhammer?
    edited July 7

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

Of course since that will lack the pre-existing fanbase and name recognition Warhammer had, there's no reason to presume this would take off at all.

Why did BioWare bother to make Dragon Age and Mass Effect if they had already worked in the Forgotten Realms and Star Wars?

There is no reason ever to assume a new IP will take off but companies do it all the time so they have full creative control of their work and don’t need to split the revenue.
    ò_ó
    edited July 7
    Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

Why did BioWare bother to make Dragon Age and Mass Effect if they had already worked in the Forgotten Realms and Star Wars?
    Didn't know Mass Effect was a D&D knockoff.

And nope, there'd be no point for CA to come up with their own fantasy title as that would draw constant comparisons to TWWH.

The first Dragon Age came out almost a decade after Baldurs Gate 2.

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

No, Dragon Age is a D&D knock off, but that is completely missing the point.
    ò_ó
    edited July 7
    Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

It came out almost a decade after Baldurs Gate 2 and was a completely different gaming experience as well, so that's irrelevant. I do not consider CA capable to creating original settings since everything they've released so far is derivative in one way or another, be it myth, history or established fantasy setting.

They'd be better off going for LotR or GoT after they've brought out whatever the historical team is working on right now and 3K2 or whatever that's going to be.

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

And nope, there'd be no point for CA to come up with their own fantasy title as that would draw constant comparisons to TWWH.

And Mass Effect came out four years after KotOR. Fear of comparisons didn’t stop BioWare. That’s not how the industry works. Companies tend to want to build off of success and name recognition.
    ò_ó
    edited July 7
    Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

And Mass Effect came out four years after KotOR. Fear of comparisons didn’t stop BioWare. That’s not how the industry works. Companies tend to want to build off of success and name recognition.
    Four years and an entire console generation later. And they kept making Star Wars games anyway with TOR.

Today games do not have that sort of short half life any longer. Total War Warhammer will be around for almost a decade. They will not create an original fantasy setting while that memory is still fresh.

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

Four years and an entire console generation later. And they kept making Star Wars games anyway with TOR.

Today games do not have that sort of short half life any longer. Total War Warhammer will be around for almost a decade. They will not create an original fantasy setting while that memory is still fresh.
    Actually, while that memory is fresh is exactly when they would want to release a game. If you don’t have an existing IP, you want to bank off of a reputation.

Also, just FYI BioWare started working on the first Dragon Age before they even released Neverwinter Nights. They didn’t wait a decade and decide, “okay, now it’s been long enough for us to do our own thing.”
    ò_ó
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 5,378

Iam kinda tired
    Suck my balls you bunch of Rеtaгdеd Fаggоts
    Niggег
    Сunt
    Barbra Streisand

You are fishing for a ban.
    edited July 7
    Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

Actually, while that memory is fresh is exactly when they would want to release a game. If you don’t have an existing IP, you want to bank off of a reputation.

Also, just FYI BioWare started working on the first Dragon Age before they even released Neverwinter Nights. They didn’t wait a decade and decide, “okay, now it’s been long enough for us to do our own thing.”
    No, that's exactly why they won't create an original setting, because they will have to be compared to the Warhammer games and those come with an established fanbase that won't just jump ship to something that's completely original. The Dragon Age titles didn't have to compete with the Baldurs Gate titles because those were completely different kinds of games and two console generations apart.

And I repeat, CA has never created any sort of original setting for the TW franchise so whatever creative and writing department they have is completely untested for this kind of task. Why should they risk making an original universe that might not grip people's attention when they can just continue adapting other works into TW? As I already said, they could go for GoT or LotR instead since those franchises already have an installbase.

I for one would have no interest whatsoever in a "CAverse" off the bat and it would take exceptionally well-done worldbuilding to change that. I'm not seeing CA to be capable to deliver on that front, can't pull great fantasy worlds out of your sleeve on command. Even Warhammer is derivative.
  • ChoraChora Registered Users Posts: 574

Existance of Warhammer TW, even tho a nice thing on by itself, i started with it and have every achivement, a good game. but it greatly damages historical titles, there are two parts to this problem:

1. Seperate teams are bad.
    you probably wondered, why CA's historical team to example cant get battles right for once? well, warhammer, as more profitable ip, recieves all the best workers in the company, you think they hired a new team for fantasy? lol, they just sent less talanted and expirienced ones to make historicals. If you want a propper historical game, CA should be one again.

2. Steve Jobs was right:
    "this "Walhammler" did well so lest make historical games walhammlery too, i never played or made a game in my life, why do i have so much say in this? whatever, what can go wrong. And dont forget to cut costs on everything, we cant afford animations or even sounds from 2005. god, its good to be a monopoly. "
    Its pretty obivious that managers dont ant another historical, its a song of yesterday, they just want more Warhammers whithout realising that whithout that IP it would be a pretty mediocre game by tw standards, and so, will not sell so good, yet all historical games are just mods to Warhammer. speaking about mods MK 1212 is a better historical title than anything they did since rome2/atilla because it was made by people who actually like history and TW series.

3. Unrelated to warhammer: one game every year is a **** policy, good AAA game these days needs at least 4 years of big team's hard work, otherwise we get some half-baked ****

I agree that wh is dramatically more popular than historic games. Where I lose you is that this somehow means they should drop warhammer (more popular) for historic (less). Face palm lol

Frankly, a fantasy setting with interesting variety of units, monsters and magic is just significantly more fun and engaging then a model for humans, a model for horses and 1000 reskins of both.

I imagine the history titles are a dying breed.

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

I do not consider CA capable to creating original settings since everything they've released so far is derivative in one way or another, be it myth, history or established fantasy setting.
    You are entitled to that opinion.

The thing about world-building is if you don’t have experience doing it, you can hire people that do.

BioWare had no

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

No, that's exactly why they won't create an original setting, because they will have to be compared to the Warhammer games and those come with an established fanbase that won't just jump ship to something that's completely original. The Dragon Age titles didn't have to compete with the Baldurs Gate titles because those were completely different kinds of games and two console generations apart.

And I repeat, CA has never created any sort of original setting for the TW franchise so whatever creative and writing department they have is completely untested for this kind of task. Why should they risk making an original universe that might not grip people's attention when they can just continue adapting other works into TW? As I already said, they could go for GoT or LotR instead since those franchises already have an installbase.
    BioWare literally marketed Dragon Age Origins as a spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate. They went out of their way to draw comparisons as often as they could.

Warhammer fans are mostly also video game fans, and will buy non-Warhammer games.

CA would risk making their own IP if they decide they want creative control over their game and to not share the revenue. Like I said.

The thing about world-building is if you don’t have experience doing it, you can always just hire people who do. You act like game companies never make new IPs, regardless of the fact that they do all of the time.
    ò_ó

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

I for one would have no interest whatsoever in a "CAverse" off the bat and it would take exceptionally well-done worldbuilding to change that.
    Cool story, bro.
    ò_ó
    Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

I for one would have no interest whatsoever in a "CAverse" off the bat and it would take exceptionally well-done worldbuilding to change that.
    Cool story, bro.
    Hey, how about you actually come up with a new fantasy universe and its main draw? Since you so fanatically push this idea, you probably have already something in mind, right? You are not leaving this up to total chance, right?

So please, deliver.
    This thread started poorly, but now we have people discussing Bioware video game history.

Only Exterminatus can get rid of it now.

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

Warlocke said:

Reeks said:

Deal with it

Cool story, bro.
    Hey, how about you actually come up with a new fantasy universe and its main draw? Since you so fanatically push this idea, you probably have already something in mind, right? You are not leaving this up to total chance, right?

So please, deliver.
    Fanatically push this idea?

All I said was:

“I want them to do Age of Sigmar or 40K, or even develop their own fantasy setting more than I want to see a new historical title.”

Are you high?
    ò_ó

This thread started poorly, but now we have people discussing Bioware video game history.

There's simply no reason for CA to go worldbuilding. They had enormous success with their current strategy and creating your own universe, especially if Warlocke thinks they should market it as a spiritual successor to TWWH would only draw constant comparisons and set the bar so enormously high they'd really have hire some known fantasy writers to clear it, just like From Software did with Elden Ring...and From Software have actually created original worlds before.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 6,781
    Warlocke said:

BioWare literally marketed Dragon Age Origins as a spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate. They went out of their way to draw comparisons as often as they could.

Warhammer fans are mostly also video game fans, and will buy non-Warhammer games.

CA would risk making their own IP if they decide they want creative control over their game and to not share the revenue. Like I said.

The thing about world-building is if you don’t have experience doing it, you can always just hire people who do. You act like game companies never make new IPs, regardless of the fact that they do all of the time.

And most games fail.

Especially new IPs.

I wouldn't, and won't, buy a new IP from CA, why would I? I have Warhammer.
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 4,824
    Whew that was a rollercoaster of a read ! Like a plane crash in slow motion !
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy

There's simply no reason for CA to go worldbuilding. They had enormous success with their current strategy and creating your own universe, especially if Warlocke thinks they should market it as a spiritual successor to TWWH would only draw constant comparisons and set the bar so enormously high they'd really have hire some known fantasy writers to clear it, just like From Software did with Elden Ring...and From Software have actually created original worlds before.
    Why did I you replied to me tho?

What the serious hell, man? How are you so bad at reading? 😂

I never said that CA should make a new IP and market it as a spiritual successor to Warhammer. Not even close. And I never said anything about hiring known fantasy writers. Come the **** on.
    ò_ó
    Surge_2 said:

Warlocke said:

And most games fail.

Especially new IPs.

I wouldn't, and won't, buy a new IP from CA, why would I? I have Warhammer.
    Exactly, right? Original content is a gamble and there's simply no reason for CA to take that gamble when they had so much success doing adaptions.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,518
    edited July 7
    Thrones of Britannia - setting which was based on Shieldwalll yet the shieldwall can't maintain their formation when in melee

Three Kingdoms - classified as historical but they focus more on Romance Mode

Troy - heroes still exist, making formations, tactics, maneuvering, etc... obsolete

Take note, CA Injects the healing mechanic now into historical which is not realistic. *Troy

Historical Heroes now have Superhero abilities.....

------------------

Next hope, MEDIEVAL 3!

Hope CA makes it right and don't waste this time period.

Just worried they might divide it into several parts which would be bad. They are all humans so no need to divide and wait couple of years to play complete map.

*Is it possible to expand the map for Culture Packs?

*MONGOLS and RENAISSANCE are not yet to be made in the franchise as well.
    edited July 7
    jamreal18 said:

Thrones of Britannia - setting which was based on Shieldwalll yet the shieldwall can't maintain their formation when in melee

Three Kingdoms - classified as historical but they focus more on Romance Mode

Troy - heroes still exist, making formations, tactics, maneuvering, etc... obsolete

ToB was based on the Norse invasions of the British isles in the early middle ages. And historians now believe that those people never used shieldwalls in the phalanx style anyway.

If that's enough to discredit ToB as a historical title, then CA never even once created a historical TW ever.
  • KaiserofKiotoKaiserofKioto Registered Users Posts: 81
    they can make WW2 game with fictional elements like holocaust to example, would be fun
This discussion has been closed.