Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Clan Skryre/Skaven Help

WeedSoldierWeedSoldier Registered Users Posts: 1
I have been getting into Skaven recently but have been having a lot of trouble with battles and campaign in general. I watched a bunch of videos about how I should do my economy and how to play battles and noticed that they all have units like Jezzails and Ratling guns so I got the Skryre DLC but still nothing seems to work. I usually last until turn 11 or so before getting my armies wiped out in a foiled ambush by Estalia as they steam roll over me after. If anyone could give just a general list of how I should do start my campaign and play battles as Skaven I would very much so appreciate it, thanks!

Trespassin aint free. The Book of Grudges gotta be littered with transgressions of any kind. The player AKA "NON-DAWI TRAS" is not my ally. He is filthy poor and probably greenskin as well :DD. WAR and GRUDGES and not PEACE and TRADE AGREEMENTS ok. Praise the ancestor gods.

Comments

• MagicspookMagicspook Registered Users Posts: 866
    Early game against empire clones your best bet is 4 or so units of warpfire throwers. They will melt anything they touch, including friendly units so watch out. You can expand your arsenal with some globadiers, but again, mind the friendly fire. The entire early game should be you toasting lightly armored enemies while you pray your frontline will hold for a few seconds longer.

Your starting jezzail unit is essential for shooting cavalry, which you cannot really defend against. Once the cav is dead, switch to shooting characters, which is weakness #2. Ratlings should have a similar targeting priority but their range is shorter and their damage higher.

Keep blasting everything with warp lightning, its the cheapest most ridiculous damage spell there is.

Once the enemy starts fielding monsters, heavy infantry and good cav, you're going to need long-range armor piercing. That means 4-6 units of any combination of lightning cannons or jezzails. You MUST shoot up those heavy units before they reach you because they will kill your frontline.

I generally don't bother with runners, monsters or stormvermin in my skryre armies.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,944
    Chain sack Tobaro a few times to stock up food, then abandon Skavenblight and resettle it at T5. If you fight against Estalia, send your hero and Ikit forward to blob the AI around them, then drop the nuke on said blob. Maybe even buy a second nuke with your starting fuel the you don't need to clean up much afterwards.
  • MadDemiurgMadDemiurg Registered Users Posts: 4,605
    edited July 10
    If you struggle with the earlygame, get warpfire throwers, they're t2 and you can get them immediately, they melt melee infantry. Kills enemy ranged with your starting flayers, jezails and warp lightning. Phase them out later as you need to do more sieges and the enemy armies are more than just infantry (turn 20+).

Don't try to expand fast, sack every settlement you see (some multiple times), get enough food to get them at a high tier to save time and money. Try to at least get the capitals at t4 or t5 (you can't get t5 before getting more food capacity) as they take a long time to grow otherwise.

Eocnomy is straightforward, every building gives a bit of money so it doesn't matter that much which ones you build (always get walls with skaven, walls that give money is the dream), just don't forget to always build the generator in the provincial capital ASAP for the multiplier, And always sack for more money, there's almost no downside to sacking as skaven, the tier at which you occupy settlements depends on your food reserves, not whether you sacked it or not. And guess what, sacking gives more food.
  • aMint1aMint1 Registered Users Posts: 974

Chain sack Tobaro a few times to stock up food, then abandon Skavenblight and resettle it at T5. If you fight against Estalia, send your hero and Ikit forward to blob the AI around them, then drop the nuke on said blob. Maybe even buy a second nuke with your starting fuel the you don't need to clean up much afterwards.

This but it will only be tier 4 as you don't have the food capacity to go straight to tier 5.
  • gladonosgladonos Registered Users Posts: 717
    I like to doomsphere Miragliano and instantly get it to tier 4. But yes people are right when they say Warpfire throwers are awesome early on.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,944
    edited July 10
    Warpfirethrowers are a good unit choice.

Because the braindead AI doesn't know that it could easily counter them by just targeting them with its own ranged troops, so you get to blast its troops nearly unimpeded outside the occasional attempt to counter them with melee troops or cavalry, which is easily blocked or averted.

I won a good number of battles just because the AI allowed my Warpfirethrowers to hose down its troops at their leisure.