Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Iliad mode?

Akhilleus-Akhilleus- Registered Users Posts: 4
edited July 13 in General Discussion
Is there an Iliad mode in Troy: Total War?

I don’t mean simple Iliad objectives like “take Troy” or “kill Hector”.

But I mean a step by step Iliad reconstruction.

I.e. if you play as Odysseus, you first conquer Ithaca, then going to Skyros to find Achilles, i.e. step by step what happens in the Iliad.

Or from Agamemnon’s point of view, or from Achilles”, or Hector’s.

If there is nothing by the publisher is there a third party mod people know of?

It would be a shame to create a 1:1 copy of the entire Iliad geography and history including placenames, cast, armies, assets, etc. and not reconstruct the basic sequence of the actual Iliad.

Comments

• TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 1,178
    Nah, unlike 3K there are no multiple modes in Troy. You may find what you want in a mod, though,
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

• BrokenGemBrokenGem Registered Users Posts: 44
    There is an 'epic mission chain' for each faction. By completing epic missions and fulfilling some other conditions you can achieve 'Homeric Victory'. You can also forget those epic missions and choose to achive 'Total War Victory' by simply conquer your enemies. You don' have to choose before starting a campaign, just fulfill corresponding condition and achieve your victory! You can even achieve two kinds of victroies in one campaign. Personally I think this is better than choosing modes before starting a new campaign.
    Epic missions are basically based on Iliad, Odyssey and some other ancient Greek legends. No 'find Achilles' mission for Odysseus, which is a pity, but I still like his epic mission chain. I like most of them but those epic mission for Sarpedon and Aeneas are not as good as others in my opinion.
  • Akhilleus-Akhilleus- Registered Users Posts: 4
    BrokenGem said:

There is an 'epic mission chain' for each faction. By completing epic missions and fulfilling some other conditions you can achieve 'Homeric Victory'. You can also forget those epic missions and choose to achive 'Total War Victory' by simply conquer your enemies. You don' have to choose before starting a campaign, just fulfill corresponding condition and achieve your victory! You can even achieve two kinds of victroies in one campaign. Personally I think this is better than choosing modes before starting a new campaign.
    Epic missions are basically based on Iliad, Odyssey and some other ancient Greek legends. No 'find Achilles' mission for Odysseus, which is a pity, but I still like his epic mission chain. I like most of them but those epic mission for Sarpedon and Aeneas are not as good as others in my opinion.

I don't understand.

As far as I see it the "Epic missions" are simply objectives like "Take Troy" or "Kill Hector".

There is no consecutive order or sequence of doing things according to how they happened in the Iliad. As in there is no story arc.

Or did I miss something?
  • Spaniard777Spaniard777 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    You could always try the Aristeia mod for Rome Total War Alexander.

It has a regular campaign mode like Troy, but also two others that generally follows the events of the Cypria and the Iliad.

With the Cypria you start with all the Achaean armies at Tenedos and choose where you want to make your landing.

In the Iliad campaign, I believe you aren't able to use Achilles as a unit until Patroclus dies. Also Memnon makes an appearance as a hero unit with his Aethiopian soldiers.

This mod could be seen as the unofficial predecessor to Troy: A Total War Saga.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/aristeia

BrokenGem said:

I don't understand.

As far as I see it the "Epic missions" are simply objectives like "Take Troy" or "Kill Hector".

There is no consecutive order or sequence of doing things according to how they happened in the Iliad. As in there is no story arc.

Or did I miss something?
    Not simply one epic mission, but a sequence of epic missions for each faction. For example, Odysseus has 13 epic missions to complete one by one, which illustrate what he does in the Trojan War(In CA Sofia's opinion, of course). Some epic missions are adapted from stories in Iliad, some from Odyssey, and some from other ancient Greek legends. Since Iliad does not include all stories in the Trojan War(Iliad starts with Achilles' rage and ends with returning Hector's body to Priam), many epic missions are not adapted from its stories.
    BrokenGem said:

BrokenGem said:

I don't understand.

Or did I miss something?
    Not simply one epic mission, but a sequence of epic missions for each faction. For example, Odysseus has 13 epic missions to complete one by one, which illustrate what he does in the Trojan War(In CA Sofia's opinion, of course). Some epic missions are adapted from stories in Iliad, some from Odyssey, and some from other ancient Greek legends. Since Iliad does not include all stories in the Trojan War(Iliad starts with Achilles' rage and ends with returning Hector's body to Priam), many epic missions are not adapted from its stories.

Thanks for your help.

I think I’m confused. I just started playing my first Total War game (Troy) last week and don’t really understand how to play this.

I spend turn after turn trading and recruiting armies on Ithaca. No one is telling me to go anywhere. A million things happen all around me every turn but I’m just on Ithaca.

How do you start doing the Odysseus epic missions? When should you do them?

I’m kind of not understanding how to play this game. Would you be able to give some pointers on how to play a accurate(ish) Iliad type playthrough as Odysseus?

As in:

Build armies on Ithaca
    Take province X
    Take province Y
    Do Epic mission 1
    Join forces with X
    Take province Z
    Do Epic mission 2

@Spaniard777: thank you for the advice, I will try that after this game. The art of this game is closer to the Salimbeti Iliad armor reproductions than that mod so I want to give this game a try first. Though how they decided to portray Achilles with short black hair is beyond me.
    edited July 15
    BrokenGem said:

BrokenGem said:

I don't understand.

Or did I miss something?

Thanks for your help.

I’m kind of confused. This is the first Total War game I started playing (last week).

I don’t understand what to do, when to do it and how to start the Epic missions. Or when to start them. I’m on easy. The in game tutorial is just guiding me through the basics of how to build houses and how to honor various Gods by building temples, etc. It’s not really telling me to go anywhere.

I’m just building armies on Ithaca. No one is telling me to go anywhere. Every turn a million things happen all around the map but I’m just on Ithaca. Building houses, trading for rations and building armies.

Could you give some pointers on how to do an accurate(ish) Iliad playthrough as Odysseus?

I.e.
    1. Build armies on Ithaca
    2. Take province X
    3. Take province Y
    4. Do Epic mission 1
    5. Do military agreement with X
    6. Do Epic Mission 2
    7. Etc.

@Spanierd777 thanks very much! I will look into it. For now I want to get my head around Total War Troy though, as the art design is quite close to the Salimbeti Iliad armor, more so than the mod.
    @Akhilleus- I am not good at playing this game, so I can only offer some tips.
    I suggest that you can try Mycenae's tutorial campaign before starting Ithaca's campagin. Some videos guidance or text guidance may be helpful too(There is a new players guidance in our community(https://docs.qq.com/sheet/DRUtiYmp5cXVXVmZ4?tab=ik7ygz), but written in Chinese, I don't know whether a translator will help or not).
    This is a 'total war' game, right? So build your army and attack those weak factions whoever are not 'Danaan Pillar'(or 'Trojan Pillar', depends on whom you play as). Which direction is better and how to plan your strategy is so complicated that I can not talk about it here, and ... this need experience. Take their regions, build your own kingdom and strengthen your army. Pay attention to the diplomacy, keep yourself at war with small number of factions in the early game, but do not stop your expansion pace. As you getting stronger and stronger, some day strong enemies across the sea will make war against you together, build your alliance and be prepared for that.
    Some military buildings allow your hero to recruit specific units, and each faction has their own style of army, check it out in the building list.
    Epic missions will be issued at proper moment, but I don't know the exact condition. You must complete the previous epic mission to receive next one. Complete the epic missions as soon as possible or you may be stuck for some reason.
  • Lotor12Lotor12 Registered Users Posts: 653
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,407
    It is still a sandbox. It would be hard to strictly follow the myth with so many random elements in the game. These story elements you have you mentioned are touched a little in Epic Missions.

The game does not "order" you to do anything and it is up to you where you will expand.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, Morghur the Shadowgave, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    FD: Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
    RTW: Carthage, Egypt, Greek Cities, Macedon, Scipii, Scythia.
    BI: Eastern Roman Empire, Romano-British, Sarmatians, Slavs.