They make the game such a massive grind (worse than other dominant factions late game)... if there's a mod that disables them as a race, I'd love to have it.
- You can't ambush them (well, technically you can, but they are better at it and at detecting you)
- Even when surrounded by 3 armies they often get out by ambushing one by one
- Razing settlements is generally a bad idea, because there's always Skaven around to occupy it. Better occupy it yourself and build it up to at least walls, even if you don't really want to. Just to take the spot, so the Skaven don't do it unnoticed
- Finding and eradicating a Skaven faction is a total pain, they can literally be anywhere
- Their numbers are just ridiculous. Yes, early game most are crap, but still not -that- bad. And numbers means they can swarm you
- Their leader stats are just ridiculous. They are very very hard to kill (dodge), to pin down and to finish off when running. I just fought Queek as the Dwarfs, his armour rivals that of a Dwarf
- Yes their leadership sucks, but they just come back until your own leadership starts to suck. Sniping their leaders is not a real option, as mentioned
- They always have a very large amount of ranged units with a very large range. Getting to them is hard because of the overal large numbers
- Their artillery is just insane good, both in damage output and especially range
- Autoresolve can't handle them. You severely lose battles I easily win manually (but I don't like fighting them manually because of the previous) Maybe the patch changes solve that, but ...
- You can't pacify them by making them your allies because they immediately break such on a whim. So you have to eradicate them
- Late game it gets even beyond ridiculous of a grind to flush them out. Better get them early, but then you neglect your normal priorities
The usual response to this, try them yourself, you'll see. Yeah I saw, they even suck to play as well. You don't start nearly as powerful as the AI does early game (especially since you are just one faction, the AI has many).
Yes I know all of this is lore appropriate, they are supposed to be everywhere and all powerful. That's balanced out by constant internal wars because of leadership fights. And they're supposed to be very cowardly without leaders, I don't really see any of that in a way that matches the lore.
Yes I can handle them, no I don't like having to.
Oh, and I didn't even mention those plagues and nukes yet! Now you can't even properly recover from those grindy battles while plagued. And nukes, well, yeah, nukes.