Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

User Info RequiredUnable to Launch game since Silence and Fury Update

Rizz39Rizz39 Registered Users Posts: 11
edited July 16 in Crashes
Once I was finally able to get the game patched and updated. I was able to boot the game vanilla once and when I finally got it to that point. I tried booting the game through a mod manager. Hitting start causes the game to start to boot, but then nothing. Steam indicates that the game is booting and then everything stops. Then I disabled the mod manager to try and boot the game vanilla again and same issue. It starts to boot, but no title screen. I have tried deleting the %appdata% folders and and a few restarts still no dice. I am hopeful because a lot of these issues due tend to work themselves out somehow, but I wanted to post here to see if anyone has any suggestions. I have a feeling that I can try to reinstall, but it is a real pain as the installation frequently stops to tell me there's not enough disk space, after which I have to reboot my computer and magically there is enough disk space again, which I'm sure is a Steam thing, but it's frustrating.

Thank you for any help anyone out there.
Post edited by CHARLOTTEB_CA on

Comments

• Rizz39Rizz39 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Dxdiag attached.
    I am trying to delete the entire data folder and verifying cache to restore the files.
    Still getting "Not enough Disk Space" or "Disk Write Error". I have tried restarting the computer and trying again. I am running Steam as an administrator.
  • CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,374
    Hey Rizz39!

Have you checked your Steam directory (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/) and made sure the directory is NOT read only. Then right click your Steam launch icon and click 'Run as administrator" - this should stop the Disk Write Error that steam is throwing =)

Second thing would be to ensure you have the extra space on the drive the game is installed on, if there isn't enough space this will also cause this error!
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Hey Rizz39!

Have you checked your Steam directory (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/) and made sure the directory is NOT read only. Then right click your Steam launch icon and click 'Run as administrator" - this should stop the Disk Write Error that steam is throwing =)

Second thing would be to ensure you have the extra space on the drive the game is installed on, if there isn't enough space this will also cause this error!

Both are done. I got the vanilla working I think. I have tried to set the specific steam folder to being NOT read only, but when I hit Apply, it only allows me to check "Apply Changes to folder, sub-folder and files...", but when I hit okay and hit okay on the next option. But when I hit properties and bring it up again it shows read only is checkmarked again. I'm not sure if I have my administrator settings set properly. Can you assist with that?
  • KraziecallumKraziecallum Registered Users Posts: 2
    My game won't start either it goes to the loading screen then shuts it self down i have no mods installed and i have followed the advice that many people have said on the steam discussion page cause quite a few people are having this problem as well i have no clue how to get it to start working.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,866
    I had a similar issue where none of my games would start. It turned out to be caused by corrupted system files and was resolved by running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • skylar1146skylar1146 Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited July 18
    Throwing in my hat here, after coming from the steam discussion of others having the same issue.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/594570/discussions/0/3057365237539227029/

I own only warhammer 1 and 2 and the free DLCS. Never installed a mod. Never had any issue until the newest update.
    Things i've tried: For me, if I click play or continue game, it follows this process:
    1. Click a play/continue button
    2. UAC prompt to allow game to run on this device and make changes
    3. Steam brings up a popup with 'Allow Game launch, Total War Warhammer II is attempting to launch with the following parameters shown below. " -dx11 ". ( I have no optional launch parameters set myself in steam)
    4. Click OK on custom parameter prompt
    5. Launcher opens back up, no indication of game ever starting.
    If i switch the launch options in the total war launcher from Dx11 to Dx12 I get the steam prompt again but this time it shows optional parameters of " -dx12 -dx11 " (both shown at same time), if that's of any help.

Would love to be able to play this game again! But can't even roll back to a previous update.
    Post edited by skylar1146 on
  • wtfwhysteamUserwtfwhysteamUser Registered Users Posts: 2
    This is really unbelievable. I'm having the same problem. This is NOT some problem with the OS or the steam folder. Total war warhammer 2 devs YOU BROKE YOUR GAME. What a massive breach and failure from what had been a beautiful track record. Very disappointing. Is this the budget coding we can expect now that 3 in on the way? mind blowing.
  • wtfwhysteamUserwtfwhysteamUser Registered Users Posts: 2
    In case devs missed this YOU HAVE SOME WORK TO DO. Abandon the piecemeal suggestions about changing directory permissions et all. YOU BROKE YOUR GAME. Awaiting the patch where you promptly correct the mistake you made with this latest silence and furty update.
  • CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,374
    Hey Guys!

We are still investigating this, If you are happy to share this information it would be great :

Please let us know your install paths - starting form the drive its on and please let us know what language your copy of windows you are running is!
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • MorozMoroz Registered Users Posts: 3
    game installation path:
    d:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\
    d:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\
    separate SSD drive for two games
    running sfc /scannow - no damage found to Win10Pro
    Win10ProRus
    Steam - russian language
    the game worked until 07/18/2021 then does not start, only in open_beta mode
  • HohenheimsenbergHohenheimsenberg Registered Users Posts: 3
    Moved game to local Steam folder in C drive. Didn't fix the issue.
    My windows installation is in Spanish
  • skylar1146skylar1146 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I have moved the game from my main C drive (an SSD) to my F: Drive, a HDD and it now works correctly. Though I would still like this issue to be resolved, as since now I suffer 5-12 minute wait times before and after every battle due to a slower drive, making the game almost unplayable for me.
  • VaddirusVaddirus Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited August 7
    The installed at D :\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II
    Win10 Pro Russian
    It stopped working after installing The Silence & The Fury
    No mods, new clean installation - nothing helps
  • janomanjanoman Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi! some info on the problem? I'm having the same problem since the last update.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file