Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

King of land, ruler of sky

CA_SimoneCA_Simone Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 98
King of land, ruler of sky
Guarding my treasure
With gluttonous eye
What am I?

Comments

• GobloybGobloyb Registered Users Posts: 47
    I have no idea what this means, but I'm super ready to give this game another go once I have a PC that can run the game in its full glory. Just hoping that day is not too far away…
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 1,135
    Never been that great at riddles so be interesting to see how far off people were.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,102
    Mythic mode incoming?

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    FD: Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
    RTW: Carthage, Egypt, Greek Cities, Scipii.
    BI: Romano-British, Sarmatians, Slavs.
  • toskyruntoskyrun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 364
    edited July 21
    I was sure there would be no other dlc, I'm happy to change my mind.
    I think the riddle may be the griffin.

for the love of zeus, i hope this does not mean that we will have a mythological mode. i don't want dark elf hydra in this game.
    toskyrun said:

I was sure there would be no other dlc, I'm happy to change my mind.
    I think the riddle may be the griffin.

for the love of zeus, i hope this does not mean that we will have a mythological mode. i don't want dark elf hydra in this game.

I mean, we most likely will still have a choice - mythic mode and our current "truth behind myth" approach.

Mythic mode is great for the game. A lot of people asked for it.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
    I understand, but I would rather have preferred other heroes as we have often spoken about them.
    I personally loved the "truth behind the myth" approach
    however, if we have a choice then I have nothing to complain about.
    toskyrun said:

I understand, but I would rather have preferred other heroes as we have often spoken about them.
    I personally loved the "truth behind the myth" approach
    however, if we have a choice then I have nothing to complain about.

We still might get some heroes too. If anything I would suspect "mythic" mode to be a FLC.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    ROME REMASTERED
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,317
    Isn't the game already in Mythic Mode?

Single Entity Units....
  • LoreguyLoreguy Registered Users Posts: 692
    jamreal18 said:

Single Entity Units....

Single entity humans only.
  • HamidaalHamidaal Registered Users Posts: 15
    edited July 21
    I wish the final DLC would introduce proper mythic units as well as some powers given by the gods (like in AoM) to be used on the battlefield, but let's not get ahead of ourselves :D
    jamreal18 said:

Single Entity Units....

well it was an iliad inspired game, there are heroes blessed by the gods fighting other heroes during a huge - and human - carnage.
    It's been a long time since I read the poem, but I don't remember hydras, minotaurs, griffins, harpies, titans, giants etc during the battle of troy.
    however I'm not going to complain too much, as I said before if there are two choices, a troy base and an age of mythology total war that's okay, it'll be fun. however, we should have a choice
  • cbferris1cbferris1 Registered Users Posts: 38
    Warhammer reveal for something Tzeench, trying to deceive us by alluding to Troy
    Were there really mythical units in Illiad? This game is based on Homer's Illiad, right?

If CA will create mythical units, does it mean current pretending mythical units will become real mythical units as well?

Saga's description is flash point in history and it is under historical umbrella. Will Troy going to be fantasy now? Or maybe with 2 modes.

Prefer new factions DLC though. (Crete and Thrace)

Anyways, just wait for CA to release a blog soon.
  • DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,390
    Riddles -> Sphinx -> Thebes... who is famous from Thebes?

His Royal Highness, Phoenix King Finubar!

"It has been too long since I drew a blade in anger, Tyrion. You have been my sword, and Teclis has been my shield. But now it is time I fought my own battles!"
  • Eruner_SKEruner_SK Registered Users Posts: 46
    Aw yeah, gryphon is a favorite creature, good job, looking forward
  • DruidsbrookDruidsbrook Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 222
    Horus and Ra the Egyptian gods were rulers of kingship and the sky. They also had detachable eyes, although neither seemed to be especially greedy. I'm really hoping Memnon with his Aethiopian army shows up he'd have a very unique force.
  • TheTrueLordAndyTheTrueLordAndy Registered Users Posts: 585
    edited July 21
    Obviously a Griffon.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 4,424
    3 guys in a griffin suit with wings glued on?
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • Toiox43uqToiox43uq Registered Users Posts: 38
    edited July 21
    Is this Griffin-phoenix just representing the Hittites, their symbol was a "winged lion" and sometimes without wings .............the winged lion on the column in Venice is a Hittite asia-minor symbol .............so , will the Hittites be introduced.
    Hittite sky-god, was named Tarhunzas...a griffin

I can only see the Thracians and Cretans who currently exist , as being changed to playable nations with heroes ..........I don't think they spent so much time in developing these tribes.

I still see Hades as a god being added, regardless if he is a olympian or not.

Then again the griffin, can represent memnon and his Aethipions from North-Africa

If this is the case , we need a Greek faction to be introduced as crete to me seems a waste , when we can add them as I described above.
    well if they were the Hittites it would be great because it would expand the map eastwards and give new horizons to the Trojan factions.
    although the latter would then be between the Greek anvil and the Hittite hammer, a great challenge! and above all, Greeks and Hittites will never collide ...

however .. even in this case adding a faction that has nothing to do with the poem would only distort the title of the game.
    it sure looks more natural than a Griffin!

add memmon
    instead it would make more sense, but should it be a camp / horde?
  • gholingholin Member Registered Users Posts: 1,274
    edited July 22
    Found this passage:

“And the Grypes (Griffins) of the Indoi (Indians) and the Ants of the Aithiopes (Ethiopians), though they are dissimilar in form, yet, from what we hear, play similar parts; for in each country they are, according to the tales of poets, the guardians of gold, and devoted to the gold reefs of the two countries."

Memnon hint?

Other links to Greek myth say griffins are found in the east, they also feature on Athena’s helmet. Seems like herodotus kept mentioning grypes in India, hyperborea, and scythia. Memnon led a force of Indians and ethiopians to Troy, so griffins can dirrectly link to memnon’s lands. He may bring them as a myth unit alongside his army.

Hittites were in the east…
  • gholingholin Member Registered Users Posts: 1,274
    Apollo’s chariot also was pulled by griffins…
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 32,563
    Good to know Troy didn't share the chopping block with 3K.

edited July 22
    There are 3 letters in the trailer.

Crete, Thrace and Aethiopia?
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    Why not Zakynthos? Nah, it's random. It might feature Idomeneus and Rhesus, but the texts were placed there, because there was space, it's not a hint.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

edited July 22
    Tried making sense of the other two messages, got this:

φυλασ αιωνιοσ - The Eternal Tribes

μονοσ εν σωματι μετα τουσυδευοντοσ κοινου - Only in body after accompanying Koinos? Koinos was an ancient Macedonian king, but is not related to the Ilias. Can't make sense of it, but I'm only armed with online translators and decades old Greek lessons in school.

Tried making sense of the other two messages, got this:

φυλασ αιωνιοσ - The Eternal Tribes

μονοσ εν σωματι μετα τουσυδευοντοσ κοινου - Only in body after accompanying Koinos? Koinos was an ancient Macedonian king, but is not related to the Ilias.

It says Φύλαξ, not φυλάς. It means guardian. The most famous Coenus was the officer that got killed by Alexander, but the word in the text is not a name, but an adjective.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/κοινός#Ancient_Greek
    Nestor.

edited July 22
    Eternal Guardian could refer to Talos, the giant patrolling Crete. There's also Ladon who guards the golden apples and Argus who guards Io. Lots of "eternal" guardians in Greek myth. Coinos if not a name means "public" and that makes the sentence even harder to decipher.

I don't understand the sentence either. But it definitely refers to the adjective, and not to Coenus. Griffins were supposed to guard treasures and stuff. Given the feathers and nests, I am pretty confident that these were the monsters hinted in the trailer.
    Nestor.

Well, I think King of Land - Ruler of Sky refers to the griffon since it's a creature that can fight on land and in the air. If the eternal guardian is a reference to Talos it would hint towards Crete and Idomeneus.