Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Now that warhammer 2 is finished what is the most difficult campaign?

Title-also this could include warhammer 1 as I’m curious what the most difficult campaign is between the two games.

Comments

• GeorgeTrumanGeorgeTruman Registered Users Posts: 214
    Imrik, Arkhan, and Khatep have pretty tough early games. I think Norsca has to be overall the most difficult though.

Honorable mention to vampire counts on very hard battle difficulty. I find them to be a true slog to get going. And rip your frames if you go skelly spam.
  • SeswathaSeswatha Registered Users Posts: 4,757
    edited July 2021
    Depends on the difficulty as some of the races scale differently across difficulties.

If we talk VH/L, probably Throgg, but Wulfrik would be close #2 anyway. (on lower difficulties with no/low supply lines they're actually very strong, supply lines hurt races that rely on upkeep reductions for economy a lot more).

Belegar is still up there though he did become a lot easier with the last update.

Nakai and Wulfhart can be pretty challenging.

• zagumaarzagumaar Registered Users Posts: 83
    Warrios of Chaos in WH1 was pretty hard, I remember being chased almost right from the start by the whole Empire provinces + Kislev and Bretonnia in Norsca in an ever ending hunt to stop my invasion. Really it was worthy of the benny hill theme. I was constantly on the move, could only rest for a turn every few turns but somehow I managed to win this campaign in the long run. It was really intense though.
    So for me Woc in WH1 then probably Norsca in Wh2
  • HL230P45HL230P45 Registered Users Posts: 377
    edited July 2021
    Imrik* on Mortal Empires (first 30 turns): easy to lose to Eshin at turn 12 already; need to declare war on Grimgor until it is too late yet still it might be too late because he lunges at you with several armies and sometimes Waagh armies (played without lightning strike).

Skarsnik (first 50 turns): two dwarf enemies right from the start, one of them can grow quickly; in my campaign Thorgrim also dominated greenskins around him (played without min-maxing campaign Waagh).

Norska (all the campaign): the most difficult campaign I have seen; weak economy, undefended and rebellious heartland; a lot of enemies, among them the strongest in the game – Naggarond; somewhat compensated for by a strong army (played without mammoths, yet I would not have been able to recruit them anyway).

Suspected difficult campaigns: Clan Mors on Vortex, Clan Pestilens on Vortex, Markus Wulfhart on Vortex.

*I always play Legendary campaigns, normal battle difficulty. No cheesing of any kind: no sack cities, no wasting enemy ammo, no hero spam, no trait-farming.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Edinburgh, ScotlandRegistered Users Posts: 5,382
    Khatep, Imrik, Norsca, Vampire Counts.

Dawi have it easier later on but beginning can be brutal.
    #JusticeForTzeentch #JusticeForMonogods

7bmg1fojzz69.jpg
  • adjungadjung Registered Users Posts: 350
    Taurox is certainly among the hardest to keep up. With all the powercreep going on you will find yourself questioning whether you are truly achieving anything or simply running a well-oiled, fully automated machine.

If we assume that even CA may tone this down eventually, you will be constantly asking yourself if you are playing on easy mode and whether you should spend your free time on something more fulfilling instead.

Forward onto Slaughter.
  • AirmageAirmage Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 13
    Cannot understand why Markus vortex is been considered hard. Ok location, good army. Turtle - upgrade -win.
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 2,026
    HL230P45 said:

Suspected difficult campaigns: Clan Mors on Vortex, Clan Pestilens on Vortex, Markus Wulfhart on Vortex.

All 3 of these are harder on Mortal Empires.
    That applies to mostly every campaign. Vortex campaigns are really easy in general. I'd say the only exceptions are Ikit Claw, Rakarth and Nakai.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
    Airmage said:

Cannot understand why Markus vortex is been considered hard. Ok location, good army. Turtle - upgrade -win.

Empire has the best army in the game from gaming point of view, that is totally balanced army. Which makes it a nightmare to fight New World off-the-chart races, specifically the Lizardmen.
    Yannir said:

HL230P45 said:

All 3 of these are harder on Mortal Empires.
    That applies to mostly every campaign. Vortex campaigns are really easy in general. I'd say the only exceptions are Ikit Claw, Rakarth and Nakai.
    Doesn't clan Mors get overwhelmed immediately by two lazardmen factions on Vortex? One of which is goddam Krok Gar.
    HL230P45 said:

Doesn't clan Mors get overwhelmed immediately by two lazardmen factions on Vortex? One of which is goddam Krok Gar.

Depends how long you dawdle around. If you act decisively Kroq-Gar is way easier to deal with in Vortex than ME.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
  • Farinay99Farinay99 Registered Users Posts: 52
    HL230P45 said:

*I always play Legendary campaigns, normal battle difficulty. No cheesing of any kind: no sack cities, no wasting enemy ammo, no hero spam, no trait-farming.

Nice,kinda play it the same also with tons of mods ,missiles damage reduction ,20% ward save for AI ,faction unit caps and army unit caps and bunch of other stuff
    Farinay99 said:

HL230P45 said:

Nice,kinda play it the same also with tons of mods ,missiles damage reduction ,20% ward save for AI ,faction unit caps and army unit caps and bunch of other stuff
    Forgot to mention: I also always use Never Obsolete Legendary Lords mod (additional levels for enemy lords) and Improved AI Skill Selection mod (for lords).
  • HowTheStarsBurnHowTheStarsBurn Registered Users Posts: 715
    edited July 2021
    Norsca is the only legendary/VH campaign that I have consistently failed at despite trying my absolute hardest.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 14,498
    Norsca, Morathi, Arkhan.

• KoronusKoronus Registered Users Posts: 265
    Mayby I do something wrong but I feel sisters of Twillight in Vortex are made for asian genius children.
    If I try to go early Morathi I may do it with great losses but then I still need Malekith to fight off. If I let Morathi alone and focus on economic I get crushed between Malekith and his mother. I can not really see how Malekith not want to kill me and with Wood Elves is focused on playing defensive and let other do the fighting (except Drycha) I can not see how I get a good enough economy before I get overwhelmed. So far my only way out I have seen is using the world roots to either go Gaenvale or the Bowmen of Orion with a full stack, focus there on getting economical, and let Malekith do his destroying while I focus in greener sides on restoring locale flora until the economic is rolling and I can come back to stomp Malekith.
  • steam_1645133906776mxS0krsteam_1645133906776mxS0kr Registered Users Posts: 99
    It’s interesting how certain campaigns become harder because of updates while I think skarsniks campaign was designed to be difficult. I played Norsca and it was definitely ridiculous with the chaos horde and thorgrim with the green tide. I haven’t played imrik in a while but I don’t remember having that hard of a time with him. I haven’t played morathis campaign yet either. I’m about to start skarsniks so I was looking for the most challenging campaign since I think I’ve mastered the functions of this game.
  • ShatilovShatilov Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 184
    Currently i am playing Norsca Wuflrik, at turn 115, and i have occupied Altdorf and Couronne, it was very hard getting there! now I have full stacks of VCounts 2 armies at a time attacking the northern outposts, and Mousillon Red Duke attacking at Couronne, and with the new updates to the growth system, it is very hard to upgrade the occupied capitals.

But I liked the challenging survivor aspect of Norscan campaign.

I found Skarsnik and Belagar, both having the same difficulty, to reaching K8P, and Skarsnik was more difficult as well, I still wasnt able to reach K8P with Skarsnik. always gets stomped by the Empire while facing the dwarfs, and facing 3 dwarfs faction is really a hell for an army full of goblins.

Side Note:
    In addition the current AI occupying the ruined settlements every couple of turns doesnt help, a new mechanic should be introduced that all regions sharing the same border with an outpost or occupied capital, should not be occupied if a Monument to the Chaos god is built in.

I think the same should be introduced to WoC, establishing outposts at Faction/Province Capitals only, and any region sharing the same border with said settlement should not be occupied if it is in ruin, unless the outpost is destroyed.
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 4,706
    edited July 2021
    It’s Warhammer, I think they are all fairly easy after turn 15-20.
    That’s the fun though.
    Honourable mention to norsca. They can be a balance act.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,819
    Vampire Counts, because you have to struggle with yourself to not just make Skeleton stacks or a Vampire hero stack, and every time you look at how they massacred Crypt horrors you have to fight the urge to hit alt+f4.

Sephlock said:

Vampire Counts, because you have to struggle with yourself to not just make Skeleton stacks or a Vampire hero stack, and every time you look at how they massacred Crypt horrors you have to fight the urge to hit alt+f4.

Here is a challenge: play Vampire counts without using the wind of death spell.
    HL230P45 said:

Sephlock said:

That sounds like nightmare. It's the only fun thing in the entire faction.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
    Yannir said:

HL230P45 said:

Sephlock said:

That sounds like nightmare. It's the only fun thing in the entire faction.
    It is fun, true. But only the first time around. If you play at normal or hard battle difficulty and don't use wind of death but instead use buffs, debuffs, and healing that the lore of vampires provides you will discover the true identity of this undead faction, like the ability to bring back a squadron of cavalry from the brink of collapse to full health, or such amazing units like cairn wraiths, hex wraiths, blood knights, terrorgeists, vargeists, and mortis engines.
  • SlipknotMaggotSlipknotMaggot Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 430
    edited July 2021
    i think still skarsnik is very hard. Tehenhauin isn´t that easy, too.

But what i found the most horror thing was Malus without auto resolve. His first battles agianst the LM need some major exploit battle movement to be successfull.

I haven´t played norsca in WH2. Back in WH1 they were pretty easy. Heard they are horror by now.
    Team Lizardmen
  • NazjaxNazjax Registered Users Posts: 1,605
    edited July 2021
    From what i've played, I would say 2 TK factions.

Arkhan/Khatep in the hardest spot for me. Their early troops are PATHETIC and the fact they can have just 1 army (even to bait AI etc... what my gameplay relie a lot on to unlock situation) is impossible, even their income to create new buildings or trade is really pathetic, they are good late game but early on they are just.... miserable and it's where the AI can be hard. Late game with enough skills, economy and troop diversity you can steamroll to easy with TK or any other factions so their ''late game powerhouse'' is not a good argument for me.

Settra and Khalida are easier due to their starting position (access to a capital, big bonus : good starting units and defense for Khemri, and poison for Khalida)

Nakai is definitively a VERY hard too, it's a old BM campaign but with Lizardmens. His bonuses are long to have and hard to maintain due to stupid AI and even if you have them they are not that great, and if you lost your army : bye you lost ! You can't have 2 armies since a verrrry long time, cause the horde growth is ridiculous and the income you have is meh to support them, he can't even stack gold like woc/beastmen could with post-battle loot or sacking, so probably one of the hardest and most frustrative campaigns.

Skarsnik/Belegar are one of the hardest too since the early days of the game, but I didnt played Belegar since the rework of dwarfs so probably easier, but still thing they need to be mentionned.

To answer some people : Imrik is hard for a HE lord, but for the people who put him in the same difficulty as others, just no guys. The starting position is hard, but you have very strong units (dragon princes, dragon) and HE have a pretty strong economy/powerhouse since early from lategame.

Grimgor is hard too for example, but like Imrik you can steamroll pretty easy. But is challenge is really underestimated with Mors, Eshin and Karaz a Karak, and even Naggarond cause he always confederate Malus and go to war with you in higher difficulties. For Imrik for example, you can wipe Malus before it even happens. So I think Grimgor is harder than Imrik, and GS in higher difficulties doesn't have that great archers or dragons + holding frontline that can allow you the time to beat them with ranges. (Black orcs late game are strong in melee but super squichy, phoenix guard is tanky in comparison and with their dragons/archers you can do the OP range meta that GS can't do.)

Norsca is not easy but mainly due to the fact the faction doesn't had their rework, their campaigns mechanics are just outdated. Norsca is not thaaaat hard but when you are limited to Norsca you can't steamroll like others factions can. But honestly again for the people who said ''who one of the hardest'' I totaly controled Norsca and that was not that complicated in very hard/very hard. I had no challenge with Skaelings and surrounding factions with Wulfrik, Throgg was the same a bit harder in very early. They have no factions to challenge them early, and late the AI can't match you, but yes I agree with someone : they are have a meh upkeep and you need to relie a lot on rasing/sacking, but honestly if you are playing well it can be even more effective than having income so it's not a big big deal, it's just.. a different gameplay.

WoC are hard too because they are weak and the AI always reconquer the cities you burn except if you rased everything arround and have 6 armies, that thing wont happens for long and even less in harder difficulties. But again the reason of them being bad is the lacking of rework since the launch of the game.

I already talked about Nakai but he is also bad because he need a rework. Tehenhauin is mediocre, his unique mechanic is not great, but we could say again : he need a little rework. He is not that awful, but compare to Hexoalt or Itza... and even Kroq'gar....

If we go conclusion : If you rework all races, I would say definitively the 2 TK lords mentionned and Skarsnik (probably Belegar too, I should try him recently to tell more)

• OtjenynOtjenyn Registered Users Posts: 282
    edited July 2021
    No mention of a legendary Chevaliers du Lyonesse Vortex campaign?
    If you choose not to auto-resolve, good luck winning that first battle.

But other honorable mentions: I remember in the early versions of WH2, playing Malekith against 7 armies from Anghol, while they had 1 settlement. That time is gone thank god.

Cult of Pleasure has always been one of the toughest starts in the game. The settlements in the starting province are quite the walk from each other, with enemies comming from Lustria, Nagarythe, Sisters of Twilight, Khatep and whole Ulthan. And the fact that you need time to get corruption going

Belegar is hard, with dozen of armies comming from 1 settlement of Crooked Moon
    And Gelt's start is also not easy. Skryre, greenskins and vampires go very quickly for you
    Nazjax said:

To answer some people : Imrik is hard for a HE lord, but for the people who put him in the same difficulty as others, just no guys. The starting position is hard, but you have very strong units (dragon princes, dragon) and HE have a pretty strong economy/powerhouse since early from lategame.

I agree that Imrik is far from the hardest particularly if you kill off Eshin on turn 10-ish like you're supposed to. However, you're belittling it a bit too much. You can barely afford your Dragon/Dragon Princes on VH/VH and on Legendary you just can't afford them at all if you want a full stack of units. HE may have a strong economy but Imrik doesn't. Trading isn't even a thing for him until the very late game after you punch your way to a port that actually connects somewhere. Entrepreneuring is reserved for the late game as well since Mikaela is likely taking your only Mage slot for a long time.

Also, nobody over there likes you. You can have +300 relations with Thorgrim or Kroq-Gar as Imrik but they still won't even give you a Non-Aggression Pact. Tyrion will also never confederate with you, not even when Archaon shows up, so you'll likely have to kill him and whichever LL he's managed to confed himself if you want more than a few provinces in Ulthuan.

Ugh, I have spoken.
  • ammo2095ammo2095 Registered Users Posts: 885
    I assume you mean playing on Legendary. Norsca is definitely in the top. If we're talking strictly W2, I'd say Imrik.
  • DulahanDulahan Registered Users Posts: 344
    Now granted, I only play on Normal...

but it's shocking me to see all the Imrik and Norsca on here. Even Belegar. I didn't have trouble with them at all.

Karl Franz has been harder than any of those three (For me at least!) especially if I'm trying to play 'right' and use the Imperial Authority thing instead of just going straight up conquest. Lucky if I keep enough Authority long enough before Electors start falling to the Vamps, Drycha, and Azhag. Then even if I do luck out and get a confed their economies are so terrible I struggle to survive the confed even after disbanding most armies.

Meanwhile, Orcs are attacking my borders ever few turns, presuming they don't just decide to sneak through and flip me the bird. And due to spending time trying to deal with Vamps Thorgrim and Brettonia suddenly decide to wipe out all the greenskins anywhere near me so I can't even get the hammer! (At least the neverending swarms attacking my forts or just jumping over it). Marienburg is a pain since it gets raided by Norsca and Rakarth like crazy. Not sure it was worth conquering but at least that port is a huge boost to my otherwise crap economy.

...all that said Arkhan looks way worse too. ;)

Malkeith looks like he might be a bit rough now too, but I haven't tried him this expansion yet. But two more LLs in close proximity, one of them Taurox, makes it seem like it might get harder.
  • Stacks_LeeStacks_Lee Registered Users Posts: 362
    I think Arkhan ME still might have it the worst of anyone. Maybe Throgg for # 2.
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 1,472
    Arkhan was easy if I compare that campaign with Norsca.

Wulfrik was extremely hard, even when I rushed Couronne. Now, Throgg is faaar away from a "good" capital to maintain, the nearest is Kislev, but it is in the middle of many factions trying to capture it.

Notable mention: Skarsnik, that early game was terrible, Belegar trying to snipe my capital with I was dealing with Karak Norn...uughh.

Throgg must be the most difficult one.